Forget the "Dougie," Wizards need to learn how to win

By Michael Lee

Okay, guys. All I need is a pick that's super bumpin. And for you, you, and you to back it up and dump it! (By Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post)

It had to be one of the more perplexing scenes of the early part of the new season. But with 6 minutes 22 seconds remaining in a tight game, the Wizards went into the huddle for a timeout after Gilbert Arenas gave them the lead with a three-pointer. The starters assumed seats on the bench, but while Flip Saunders started laying out his designs for the closing stretch of the game, the rap group Cali Swag District entered the court.

For those unfamiliar with Cali Swag District, that's the group behind the smash hit, "Teach Me How to Dougie," which John Wall infamously danced to in the Wizards' home opener on Tuesday. Anyway, as Saunders was talking, several of the players standing couldn't keep their eyes off the guys grooving on the court. If it hadn't been such a close game, it may not have felt so out of place and awkward. But Saturday night was just odd.

Wall has already showed that doing "the Dougie" isn't a problem. The Wizards need someone to teach them how to win.

They dropped to 1-4 with a 107-102 loss to a Cleveland Cavaliers team still reeling from LeBron James's departure and without Antawn Jamison. The Cavaliers don't have a lot of talent, but they are persistent and competitive, which helped them prevail for the third time this season. But the Wizards remain a Cartier Martin desperation three-pointer from being 0-5.

This is not a good start, primarily because the Wizards have had trouble finishing. They never got started in Orlando, but the Atlanta Hawks went on an 11-3 run to take control of a game that had been tied late in the fourth quarter. The Knicks closed out the Wizards on Friday with an 18-3 run after the Wizards were within six points late. And finally, the Cavaliers went on a 10-0 run in the fourth quarter to win a game that the Wizards should've won.

"We've just got to find a way to finish out games," said Wall, who already has more losses in his first two weeks than he did his entire rookie year at Kentucky. "We're not doing a great job of that."

Saunders's bizarre benching of Al Thornton for the final nine minutes, after he proved to be one of the few active players on a relatively lifeless night at Verizon Center, is part of the problem. After scoring 23 points in the first three quarters, Thornton handled the situation well after the game, but he was understandably frustrated. Still, there is no guarantee that the outcome of the game would've been different with him on the floor.

"They beat us in the fifty-fifty balls. They were likely to get second chance points, that led to free-throws, and led to three pointers," Thornton said.

Saunders blames a lot of the problems on youth and inexperience, but the Wizards had their most veteran-laden team on the floor in the closing minutes on Saturday, with the exception of Wall, who was playing his first set of back-to-back games. While explaining why he had trouble getting Thornton back in the game, Saunders said Arenas was making shots in the fourth quarter and that Kirk Hinirch is the team's best pick-and-roll defender then said, "and John has to play."

Hey Mo, don't take your anger out on me about LeBron James leaving. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

Despite the presence of the Cali Swag District, Wall bypassed dancing when he was introduced before in his second home game. He drew some criticism for his performance, but said the 30-plus-second "Dougie" session was just a one-time thing. "It has nothing to do with the criticism. It was something for opening night, fans came out," said Wall, who met with members of the group after the game, posing for a picture with them. "That was the first time fans got to see us, so I wanted to bring some excitement back to the building. Just got back to my regular routine of clapping hands with teammates."

Wall had a double-double with 13 points and 10 assists. But outside of an incredible two-dribble sprint and dunk with less than three seconds left in the first half -- unfortunately, it didn't count because time expired as he was elevating -- and an electrifying, acrobatic layup in the fourth quarter, he didn't seem to have same energy level as previous games. He had six turnovers, giving him a total of 23 in the past three games.

He also struggled keeping up with Mo Williams, who was under orders from Cavaliers Coach Byron Scott to attack Wall almost every time down the floor. "Nothing against him, it doesn't matter who I play, I accept the challenge," Williams said. "He's a talented, young kid. He's only going to get better. And once he does continue to get better, he's going to be hell."

But on this night, Williams finished with a game-high 28 points, with 12 coming in the fourth quarter. "Coach told me, he was looking to score more since LeBron's not there. He did a good job of that," Wall said. "I take it as a challenge, but I can't get into a one-on-one battle. The main is for me is to be focused, to keep getting better every game from it and get us wins and that's what we're falling short of right now."

But just as their loss in Atlanta came down to a second-quarter meltdown, the Wizards have to be smarting over a terrible finish to the third quarter. Arenas gave the Wizards a seven-point lead with two free throws with 2:01 left in the period, but the Cavaliers tied the game in less than 90 seconds with a Ryan Hollins dunk, an Anderson Varejao layup and a Daniel Gibson three-pointer. Cleveland would eventually score 12 unanswered points before the Wizards regained control.

Arenas had his moments in the fourth quarter on Saturday, but he remains out of shape after missing more than three weeks of action with injuries to his groin and his ankle. He played 25 minutes, but he was on the floor for the final 16:18, an up-and-down period in which the Wizards led by six, trailed by five, led by five, trailed by eight and eventually lost by five. He finished with the worst plus-minus of any player, with a negative-21.

Arenas said there was a moment in the fourth quarter when he thought about subbing himself. "I'm about 10 pounds overweight than what I came to training camp at, so I have to get that down. It's hard when you hurt you ankle and your groin and you can't really run. Other than that, once I get my legs back I should be fine."

Arenas looked fine when he lead a fastbreak and found a trailing Blatche for a dunk that put them up 90-85 with 5:12 remaining. The game was lost shortly thereafter, when J.J. Hickson made one of two free throws and Varejao beat JaVale McGee to the rebound. Varejao then found Anthony Parker for a three-pointer that brought Cleveland within one.

What should've been a one-point possession suddenly became a four-point play and the complexion of the game changed. When Varejao gave the Cavaliers a 91-90 lead with a layup, Saunders benched McGee for the rest of the game.

The next four minutes that Armstrong was on the floor, the Wizards were outscored 14-6. Armstrong also picked up a foul that allowed Williams to break a 95-all tie and give the Cavaliers the lead for good. In just 15 minutes played on Saturday, Armstrong had a plus-minus of negative-20.

"When I was in the game, I had a couple mental lapses when I was on that pick and roll, which I'm very frustrated with myself about. I try not to let that happen too much, those lapses," Armstrong said. "The last couple of minutes I was in the game. I put that onus on myself. "

McGee made some mistakes late -- including missing two free throws with 4:24 remaining that could've given the Wizards the lead -- but he still had 11 points, 10 rebounds and three blocked shots. He also was tied with Kirk Hinrich for the best plus-minus of the night, with plus-12.

McGee said Saunders didn't say anything to him when he pulled him late in the game. "Bad plays happen, but I felt like we should've got over it and moved to the next play, but I couldn't do anything about it," McGee said. "It's no fun, being in the games in losing, because you feel like you have it. It's just disappointing."

By Michael Lee  | November 7, 2010; 12:26 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Open thread: Wizards (1-3) vs. Cavaliers (2-3)
Next: Plenty of praise, plenty of room for John Wall to improve

Comments

I don't know what to say because this was a winable game. Loss mostly coaching but I don't think we have anyone in the low post that is a presense. I think I'd like to see McGee get better on the floor than being pulled by Flip. Thornton on the bench down the stretch, Hylton hotel is a bum, 3 guard line up sucks. As I said before the season started, Flip ain't the coach for this team, another re-tread that continues to get coaching jobs after winning nothing. Given the keys to the Piston car and still drove it off the track. In Ernie we . . . hope?

Posted by: zack5 | November 7, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Bench Saunders

Posted by: bbachrac | November 7, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Flip says that "John has to play", I agree with this philosophy 100% as the kid has to play through and learn from his mistakes. What about Javale? Why is he not afforded the same respect?

Javale's job defensively as the center of the Wizards is the most complex of any position on the floor, especially on this team as the opponents guards live in the lane but Javale is punished every game because he doesn't make every play to cover up for his teammates poor defense.

He is replaced with Hilton Armstrong because he has more tenure in the league but is clearly not the answer on either end of the floor.

Flippery is a fool that doesn't know how to deal with unpolished players and non point guards, he was a point guard and sees the game through a point guards eyes and only a point guard's eye.

Al Thornton got hosed tonight and that says a lot about Flip Saunders. It shows that he coaches politically and not based on performance which sucks.

We are obviously stuck with him for the remainder of the season as there are no sexy candidates available at this time of the year. I say fire Flip and hand the reigns over to Sam Cassell!

Posted by: zxhoya | November 7, 2010 3:08 AM | Report abuse

Flip Saunders over-analyzed what should have been a simple decision. Even a novice basketball fan knows to stay with a winning lineup. Thornton was playing like a man on a mission. So, Saunders takes him out of the game, and keeps him out of the game. Gilbert's legs were gone and he was consistantly coming up short on his jump shots. Guess what, Saunders keeps Gil in the game. Go figure.

Gilbert's and Thornton's post game comments were respectful. To his credit, Flip admitted his mistake.

But boneheaded "coaching" will soon start to take it's toll on the Wiz.

Posted by: musicmanjr | November 7, 2010 3:19 AM | Report abuse

We have such a strange collection of players... And they really can't play together.

It'll be interesting to see what changes are made over the next few years. If Lenosis is committed to bulding a winner instead of continuing Pollin's legacy I doubt if any of these players are here in 3 years except for Wall.

Even Blatche must go and I was quite dismayed when we extended his contract. He can get stats, but he's not a competitor.

Posted by: MeviousMan | November 7, 2010 4:34 AM | Report abuse

This game was not lost on the offensive side of the ball. Our interior DEFENSE was horrendous all night long. It reminded me of the Orlando game. I don't know how many layups the Cavs shot, but there were way to many.

You win with defense. You win with defense.

You win with defense. You win with defense.

Oh yeah, did I say "you win with defense?"

Posted by: bpybay | November 7, 2010 5:05 AM | Report abuse

They act like it's a foul to try and stop a shot,put a hand up or anything.The Cavs just waltzed down the middle. Sorry team. But it's been mismanaged for years.it'll take time for Ted to see who needs to go. Startimg with the Ernie and Flip Show.How many guys could they have signed with all that scratch they gave 0? Some presence up front would have meant far more than what he's given this team.

Posted by: ridgely1 | November 7, 2010 6:14 AM | Report abuse

Thorton should have finished. Thornton gets after it offensively and takes up "big" defense slack that the small lineup with Arenas creates. Arenas is exhibiting same ball movement stopping style of old and the team as a whole just doesn't quite get there defensively - indeed hiis -21 really stands out. Either get in the flow or time to go!

Posted by: garyquipfan | November 7, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Gil did not play well last night. You can see the weight that he's put on just from pre-season.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 7, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

It was obvious watching the game Thornton should of been in there! I kept sayin why isnt Al in there?? Why is Armstrong playing right now!?

Yeah Gil didn't have it tonight. I dont fault Flip for going with gil, there was a glimpse at one point where gil hit a nice shot & had that fast break lay off to Dray where it looked like Gil might get on a roll.

I woulda probably sat Wall, nothing wrong w/ occasionally letting him watch & learn. I personally would probably gone w/ McGee, Blatche, Thornton, Gil and Hinrich down the stretch. We really needed that win.

Thornton play great, I hope he keeps it up! His game does remind me of Caron, solid all around game & physical style.

As far as Flip... I've been in his corner, but I'm starting to have doubts. Honestly I wish we still had Eddie. If he was still here we'd have more sense of continuity, cohesion and stability imo. I think Eddie would have the Wall/Arenas cranking like he did w/ Arenas/Hughes & like he did w/ Kidd in NJ. But I do like Sam, just dont think he's ready yet. But I hope he is our coach eventually!

Posted by: Darnell1 | November 7, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Mike, are you serious?

Grunfeld is in a good position right now. He's got an owner who doesn't know any better yet, and both he and Leonsis have been preaching patience and selling it to the fans that they want to collect draft picks and don't expect to win for awhile. Secretly, they're probably hoping/worrying about trying to win as much as possible before the fans start losing interest.

Speaking of the BS about the dougie, what made me chuckle was towards the end of the game, when it was known it was a lost cause, the stupid DJ at the VC started playing that song "Shout" by the temptations, as the fans were fleeing to the exits, and as if something good was going on.

Of course, Bucky and Phil were busy reminiscing about when Caron won the game against the Cavs for Abe, or when Gilby did this and that against the Cavs way back. Who cares dudes? Since this team clearly needs an upgrade in personnel, coaching, and general manager, how about upgrading the comcast play by play dudes also.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Armstrong simply does not have the "fear factor" of McGee. Playing together with Yi, it's a terrible front court combination, can't score, and can't defend.

Arenas needs to attack the basket more, and not just be a spot shooter, or drive and pass. He tried a pass to Blatche that Blatche didn't even expect. Old Gilbert would have gone up, and either score or draw a foul himself.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 7, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Call me crazy but I'd trust the team to Sam Cassell more than Flip. I just don't see where he commands respect. Sam a B-More dude who might smack a dude in the locker room.

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 7, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm starting to think that the problem now is more on coaching. Yi is more of a liability when he is in there. He has to stop going for the dunk. How many times have you seen him get blocked on a dunk down low? Pump the ball a little bit, do something different! Armstrong is another one. Weak.....just weak. Javale needs to increase his bball IQ on playing defensive rotations. The Wizards need one or more defensive stopper type player.

Posted by: bdunkadunk | November 7, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Who you guys think should replace Flip With ?

Posted by: suliman215 | November 7, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I thought the best group that played together in the pre season when healthy was : Wall, Arenas, Hinrich,Blatch and Yi. I dont think i have seen that group on the floor Yet. No knock on McGee i think he should see significant minutes at Center but i dont think his play calls for him to start. Yi throughout pre season and limited minutes has shown a willingness to defend, score and rebound also set screens. I think the wizards will have to sacrifice depth for best guys with the most versatility on the floor. Numbers dont lie Blatch and Yi on the floor together.

Posted by: joe_eg98 | November 7, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joe_eg98 | November 7, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"Who you guys think should replace Flip With ?Posted by: suliman215"

Does it matter?

Our favorite coach is the next one.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | November 7, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"the stupid DJ at the VC started playing that song "Shout" by the temptations, as the fans were fleeing to the exits, and as if something good was going on.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a51ROAU0Tes"

I thought they used the Isleys, not the Temps.. who knows?

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I dont think Ted can be fired.

Posted by: divi3 | November 7, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"I don't wanna say i told you so but...........I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!! posted by dargregmag"

No lyin' now -- you been waitin' to say just that. In fact, you're giving up way too early.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"I don't wanna say i told you so but...........I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!! this is a horrible coaching staff and Flip's got no business coaching this team or any other team in the league and how is it that this team winds up with Yi? oh yeah that's right, another brilliant personel move by Ernie Grunfeld and while i'm on a roll whoever had the bright idea to bring in DC Swag or whatever their name is onto the court at a critical Juncture of the game should be fired that was just plain stupid and DC_MAN88 that was the Isley Brother's who did Shout not the Tempt's.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 7, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I thought they used the Isleys, not the Temps.. who knows?

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse "

Irregardless of who sang the song "Shout," which wasn't the point of my mention, does anyone think it was an appropriate song as the fans were fleeing to the exits after another disappointing home loss? I don't think so.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

@DC_MAN88 whow's out there to replace Filp ?

Posted by: suliman215 | November 7, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"Yi is terrible. Every time he is there, we lost momentum. He robbed Arenas at least 2 assists. Got the ball in perfect position down low, but shots were blocked. He is not strong enough or quick enough to score inside. We need a better backup at PF. Too bad Seraphin couldn't even see the court. Start to wonder if we have wasted a #17 pick. Can't we even find a backup player at #17?

Posted by: sagaliba | November 7, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bdunkadunk | November 7, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse "

Nobody can blame the losses on Yi. Yi is just like any euro or asian player who hasn't had time to adjust. He's been with two other teams that have been in total upheaval. Same thing here with Les BouleS where there's been almost zero effort to coach up the big men.

What I see from Yi is that he's trying to figure out his role on the team, just like everyone else. I see a lot of hustle from him, he's got a decent J, plays defense enough to get a few blocks, and has aggressive moves to the basket. Nobody thinks he's going to get any calls from the refs anytime soon. He's clealry no stiff since he averaged about 20-10 during the world championships. The closest JaTravel will get to 20-10 is 20 fouls and 10 blocks.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Armstrong's idiotic hack on Mo Williams 28 feet from the hoop in a tie game with 2:00 left was egregiously awful. It was the type of play that would have gotten McGee benched. Somehow Hilton stayed in the game and provided nothing of substance down the stretch.

Al Thornton has been THE story of the young season and he's riding pine for the final frame.

Flip's greatest strenght can be his greatest weakness as well. His man crush on the 3-guard lineup has already cost the Wiz one loss.

If the Wiz are 1-7 this time next week, his seat is gonna be awfully hot and deservedly so.

Posted by: elfreako | November 7, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I would love to see Sam Cassell get a chance to be the next Wiz's head coach.

He's been through the NBA grind as a player and he has championships.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 7, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

"@DC_MAN88 whow's out there to replace Filp ?

Posted by: suliman215 | November 7, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse "

Jeff Van Gundy

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Flip Saunders does not have the patience or the trust to coach a young team like the Wizards. Your young players are going to make mistakes and if you want to develop and build confidence in your players you are going to have to let them play. McGee was having a good game but when he failed to get the rebound off of a missed free throw Flip pulled him out and put in the "fouling machine" Armstrong who have not made any real contribution so far. And not having Al Thornton in the game in the last 6 minutes or so is just totally unexplainable.

Posted by: spades72 | November 7, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

It's amazing everyone relizes the coaching staff is a joke except the writers that cover the Wiz and Ted. This game was lost in the 3rd quarter when stupid Flip did his usual dumb subbing. Wiz had gone on a run with Blatche, McGee, Thorton, Gil and Wall. They went up and Flip couldn't take it. They were winnig inspite him. Young should be the backup to Gil and Martin should be the backup to Thorton.

All year Flip has been wanting to play his 3 guard offense on a team that has a problem rebounding. He's in love with captain Kirk who is nothing more than a backup. Flip is a joke and Ernie is for bringing him here and further under cutting Eddie's legs. If eveyone remembers Ernie said Flip was brought into help Eddie with his defense. How's that working out.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | November 7, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

@sampson151 & DC_MAN88

You both make valid points to some degree but I'm courious to know what you both think would make this a better team THIS YEAR with what they have on it's current roster? What moves would you make and who would you sign or trade for?

I kinda think that Flip doesn't know what to do with the "bigs" on this team, all are inconsistant nor seasoned enough to trust on the floor. I think he should give McGee the the chance to play through his mistakes just as he does with J Wall. He's the most athletic center we have and Hylton hotel makes almost as many mistakes when he's on the floor.

Posted by: zack5 | November 7, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rnbrown4 | November 7, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

@DC_MAN88

for the record "Shout!" was a huge success by the Isley Brother. Temptations version was just a cover for a Motown party in the movie!

Posted by: zack5 | November 7, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"@sampson151 & DC_MAN88

Posted by: zack5 | November 7, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse "

Allowing JaTravel to play it out would result in even worse blowouts. JaTravel will get you a few blocks and a few shot changes a game, but he's an offense liability and is foul prone. You wonder why he's always trying to be flashy with the blocks instead of just getting a soft block and recovering the ball.

Les BouleS management know that there are little expectations from this season, and they are comforted by the fact that they can blame youth and Gilby and sell the promise that things will get better. They are content with just building through the draft as it's highly unlikely that they will trade for a marquee player. EG is stuck with Gilby's monstrous contract, and doesn't want another one. Get used to losing.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | November 7, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"@DC_MAN88

Posted by: zack5 | November 7, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse "

Who cares? The point is that playing the song was ridiculously stupid. The only song more inappropriate would have been playing "nanana, heh, goodbye" or "celebration" to the losing BouleS at home.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

"Make all the excuses you want...but he's been terrible. It's his 4th in the league and he's consistently getting blocked AT THE RIM on the rare occasions he isnt shooting 20ft'ers. That has nothing to do with needing time to adjust. He's played 2600 more nba minutes than Mcgee, the guy needs to get good right now or go to Europe.

Posted by: divi3 | November 7, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse "

Yeah, Yi the benchwarmer has been terrible and deserves a majority of the blame for the embarrassing losses. Let's not lose sight of the forest for the trees dude.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"As for the next coach Mark Jackson would be better than Cassell. I watch Cassell during the summer and it didn't look good. Mark knows the importance of a post game.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | November 7, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse "

This team needs an experienced coach, not a rookie. If MJ was such a hot coaching prospect, I think someone would have taken a chance at him already.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night. I saw two things that killed us. 1st stated in the post was not riding al thornton's hot hand. He was driving to the basket and getting it. Second Yi's lack of post moves and finishing. Yi sucks and Armstrong is the human foul collector. Hilton looked very clumsy at times.

Posted by: jefferu | November 7, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zack5 | November 7, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

They each need to play their A game to be competitive.
Still many pieces missing.

Posted by: VBFan | November 7, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I guess it is all too apparent now that Kevin Garnett deserves every bit of hype as he has ever gotton.

He made Flip Saunders. There is no way that Flip would ever have been a successful NBA coach in the League if it wasn't for Garnett.

Flip is terrible.

He benched McGee and Thornton and then says he can't sub Wall, and then says that Hinrich is the best pick and roll defender.

The best pick and roll defender. What is that. Is that why McGee gets so many chances to decide whether to leave his man or not cause so many defenders are driving the basket.

I don't see any evidence for anyone getting a passing grade for pick and roll defense on this team.

Seems like Saunders has to make up stuff not to sub Hinrich too.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 7, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

"All of the older GM's tend to want re-treads for coaches and EG fits the mold of "Old GM". Ted knows the game is not played the way they played it in the 70's so the only chance we'll have at a "new blood" coach is to get rid of EG which is highly unlikely at least til after next season. Ted will eventually come around. BTW, hate on Abe all you want but he hired Eddie Jordan, probably the best coach of the last 10 that have been here.

Posted by: zack5 | November 7, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse "

Yeah, credit Abe for hiring Unseld and Gar Heard as coaches also. EJ as the best coach the last 10 years for Les BouleS ain't saying much, in the grand scheme of things.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Flip likes to play zone, but facing a team with good 3 point shooters zone isn't very useful (ever heard of 3 pointers as the "zone buster?). And when the other team's 3 point starts falling, the zone becomes porous. On the other hand, Wizards lack 3 point shooters themselves. Both Knicks and Cavaliers shot over 40% 3P against Wizards, while Wizards, as a team has only one player (Arenas) who shoots more than 40% 3P.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 7, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I don't get the Eddie Jordan love here.
His Wizzies would bring the ball down and weave until the clock ran down and then shoot a 20 footer.
???????

Posted by: VBFan | November 7, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"You can blame the coach all you want but you have to realize this team just doesn't have the TALENT to win consistently yet.
They each need to play their A game to be competitive.
Still many pieces missing.

Posted by: VBFan | November 7, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse "

And they don't even have the talent to beat a Cavs team that's missing LeBron, Delonte, MeTawn, a new coach, etc. while at home? That, you have to blame on the coach.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Might they start to boo him?

Or has he successfully put losing off on the players where most of the Fans think that losing is mostly the cause the players and not him?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 7, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"I don't get the Eddie Jordan love here.
???????

Posted by: VBFan | November 7, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse "

EJ's gameplan was to let Gilby shoot until his arm was tired. That was his only way of getting wins because he couldn't coach a team to win. And, he couldn't come down hard on his meal ticket, so he lost all credibility with the team. The offensive Princeton offense stunk, and there was no Princeton defense to speak of.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"Does anyone think that the Fans here might do something to express their dismay at Flip Saunders?

Might they start to boo him?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 7, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse "

Why would you boo Frankenstein (Flip Flop) when you should be booing Dr. Frankenstein (Grunfeld)?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88

You're forgetting that here people lay an equal amount of blame at the feet of Armstrong and Hinrich. Yeah, it's gotta be that trio that's losing all those games for us . . .

According to most of us, if that clueless dude would only play McGee every minute of the game, preferably together with Blatche and Yi so we have our three "bigs" in there (so they can continue to be a big interior hole on defense) . . . But hey, it's all good, as long as Yi is in there we can blame it all on him. And if McGee passes out from exhaustion, then we stick Armstrong back in there and we have another of our favorite blamees to beat on.

Get a grip, guys.

Posted by: Miks | November 7, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

And yes, losing is an ultimate determining factor, but it is how you play on floor that determines as a team whether or not you are a competitive team or whether you are just a looser.

There isn't any evidence yet that Flip Saunders has taught these players how to play competitive as a team, or that he really KNOWS HOW!!!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 7, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

We'll never know if Cartier Martin had another big shot in him last night because Flip didn't play him.

We'll never know if McGee could have made up for his failed box out on the FT line because Flip benched him for Hilton Armstrong.

What we do know is that when 2 of the 3 guards aren't hitting shots or creating for others they don't make up for the lack of rebounding down low.

At this point, it's hard for anybody to tell me this team doesn't have 4 or 5 solid/decent options off the bench. So the lack of talent argument is bogus.

Posted by: elfreako | November 7, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I think McGee's problem is trying to figure out, do I go for the block shot and be out of position for a possible rebound or layoff and be in a position to secure the rebound. When McGee goes out to challege a shot there is nobody rotating to cover the weak side which turns into easy put backs or drop offs. Somebody have to know that when McGee goes for the block somebody have to be there to protect the basket.

Posted by: spades72 | November 7, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | November 7, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I am one of those proponents that believe that Yi, McGeee, Blatche should be a major part of the gameplan on the floor together.

Why???

Because, collectively the three together would help to cover-up there individual inside deficiences, thus making our inside play as a team better.

When we constantly play only one or two bigs our inside play isn't viable at all. However, if you play all three of them together consistently and for major portions of the game, they will develop a cohesion for inside play that they will never develop playing by themselves or just one other big.

Now this doesn't mean that Yi, Blatche, and McGee will become a top trio or even one of the good ones, but what it will do is give the Wizards better inside play than what Flip is getting now.

Flip likes breaking down his team to individual common denominators. There is a reason why the saying that there is strength in numbers.

Flip wants to constantly see players perform individual feats and when they struggle and mistep he benches them, if you aren't named Wall, or Hinrich, or Arenas that is. He would even bench Blatche if he could, but he can't. Blatche might call his butt out again. (By the way, calling Flip out might be something that Wall and Arenas should take a flyer on. But thats another subject.)

This characteristic in Flips coaching style is the most prevalent feature and it doesn't work.

Flip seperates his players with the way he coaches. Putting Yi, Blatche, and McGee together and instilling in them that for most nights and games you three are the Wizards interior defense will have them come together as a unit and help strengthen the entire Team.

But, Flip rather blame porous interior defense on McGee, or Blatche, rather than blame it on the TEAM, or his lack of coaching ACUMEN.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 7, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

"@sampson151 & DC_MAN88You both make valid points to some degree but I'm courious to know what you both think would make this a better team THIS YEAR with what they have on it's current roster?"

I'm trying to figure out what points I made. Here's what I came up with.

1) our favorite coach is the next one.
2) Didn't the Wiz use the Isleys version of 'Shout', not the Temps?
3) despite his protestations, dargreg has just been waiting to say 'I told you so'.

Glad you think those are valid. As for what would make this "a better team THIS YEAR with what they have on it's current roster?"

Practice playing together. Luck with injuries. Time.

In other words, patience.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I thought they used the Isleys, not the Temps.. who knows?

Posted by: Samson151

Are we sure it wasn't Otis Day and the Knights?

"Wait till Otis sees us! He loves us!"

Posted by: ts35 | November 7, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Not so much on this article post but overall, I read your position on this team. Sorry if I misunderstood but I thought you also had problems with the play and coaching of this team. Just wanted to know if you were available to replace Flip or EG! IMO, I think you'd be great for thr job and DC_MAN88 can head public relations dept.

Posted by: zack5 | November 7, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Yi's the not the reason they're losing, but he's certainly not playing well. He's 7 ft and he's shooting .400 and avergaing 2 rbs / game. Even at 20 mins of playing time, that's pathetic. I think there is talent there, but he's not delivering it on the court.

And @Larry, I have no idea what you're talking about with the AB, JM, Yi lineup developing cohesion and supporting each other yada yada yada. It might have made sense before, when we didn't know what to expect from our SFs and Hinirch was looking like the most viable option. But with Thornton playing the way he has been, I don't know how you justify trying to figure something out in the front court with Yi, AB, and JM. And even aside from AT's play none of those 3 can hold down the SF. And Yi is not good enough to take advantage on the offensive end of being guarded by a SF. You realize what you're advocating is essentially akin to Flip's 3-guard lineup, right?

Posted by: ts35 | November 7, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

All this did was showcase how Arenas didn't keep himself in shape when he was injured. How many million do you have to get paid to do some kind of exercise during a layoff (that doesn't exacerbate your injury) to keep those "10 extra pounds" off? Yeah, he's a winner.

Posted by: minorthread | November 7, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I see coaches names thrown out there but we all know that this team won't spend the money to bring in a Jeff Van Gundy (Hope he's a better coach than "up by 20 points and still negative or lost my job & lost championship series because I got out coached" Stan) or someone that has won a championship. Also, just because you name them, doesn't mean they,ll come here. Would like to see Danny Ferry as GM here. Think he'll be a better fit trying to build this team.

Posted by: zack5 | November 7, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

ts35 great call Otis Day and the Knights!! I was trying to think of them! That's hilarious!

It just seemed to me Flip was just overcoaching. He seemed to be making a sub I swear every single break in the action! Put in a group and stick with them will you! Let them play together for a minute! He was constantly changing it up all game long!

Posted by: Darnell1 | November 7, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

The only time Hilton Armstrong should see the floor is in warm-ups. Armstrong is what he is and there's no sense in blaming him for his shortcomings. It was Flip's brilliant decision to play him over Thornton down the stretch. Yessir, Flip pissed down his leg last night.

Posted by: and_1 | November 7, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: and_1 | November 7, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

first for the coach to say he can't take Wall out the game is crazy. I said before the season started that Gil and Hinrich should probably be closing out games unless Wall is rolling that particular game. I would also likes to see Gil running some PG with NY at the SG position that way Gil can get some of his ball dominantly in against teams second units. The biggest probably is that Flip took out Thorton. He is your starting SF and on a roll. The me it was an easy solution take Wall out leave GA, KH, AT, AB and JM. Also please start getting Booker some run. I think he will provide the defensive tuffness this team is lacking. We sure could have used his muscle against Valerjo last nigt.

Posted by: lemekdivine | November 7, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Armstrong is what he is and there's no sense in blaming him for his shortcomings. It was Flip's brilliant decision to play him over Thornton down the stretch.Posted by: and_1

Flip chose Arenas over Thornton. I don't have a real problem with that. Arenas is owed $80 mil. while Thorton shouldn't be here next year. Playing Armstrong over Yi, McGee or even Booker is a huge mistake though.

Posted by: djnnnou | November 7, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"Not so much on this article post but overall, I read your position on this team. Sorry if I misunderstood but I thought you also had problems with the play and coaching of this team."Posted by: zack5

Nah. I think they're about where we might have expected them to be. If they come together they could maybe win more games. If they don't, we could be in for a long year. I've been wondering how somebody like Wall will react to the losing. Whether he'll get discouraged or keep his head up.

I think the season is much harder on fanz who have higher expectations than I ever do.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I think the biggest concern is that it looks like Arenas still has the choking bug that was so infectious last year.

Posted by: djnnnou | November 7, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"Thornton has the highest FG percentage of anybody on the team and he can't even get a sniff of playing time in the fourth and McGee is the best rebounder on the team per minute played (13.1). In Flip we trust?
Posted by: and_1"

I thought Flip said sitting Thornton was a mistake on his part. If he can recognize it, he can correct it.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"DC_MAN88, You and everybody else can criticize EJ all you want but he looks like Red Auerbach compared to his recent replacements and no his strategy wasn't to allow Gil to throw up shot's and yes the Princeton offense did work, it was widely known around the league that the Wizards did not have a playoff worthy lineup but it was EJ and his staff that coached that squad into playoff contention if not for Ernie's stupidity and being short sighted and a impaitient fan base this team would still be a strong entity in the Eastern conference, under Jordan of course.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 7, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse "

You're right. I'm glad EJ went on to Philly and did wonderful things there. He's a keeper up at Philly and the fans will embrace him, and he'll do the same wonderful things there that he did here.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

Posted by: ts35 | November 7, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, and I forgot your favorite punching bag: isn't he the sixth-winningest coach among current coaches?

Get a grip, guys.

Posted by: Miks | November 7, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse "

Yes, that stat about Flip's winning record and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at 7-11.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I should clarify: I think the Wiz as constituted are a lottery team. That could change if they play above their heads, as teams sometimes do. But if they 'regress to the mean', as the geeks say, IMO they're in the lottery. I'm not disappointed at this prospect because I thought that's what ordinarily happens when management blows up a team and starts over.

Doesn't mean they won't have some winning streaks during the season.

Getting Wall was a huge stroke of luck. But I don't see how you can expect to short circuit the rest of the rebuilding process.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"That's almost as silly as saying Lenny Wilkens was a great coach. Yeah, he was a great coach at accumulating wins, but no rings. That's what counts.Posted by: DC_MAN88"

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"I would buy that, but I can't think of what of those other things HA is helping to solve.
Posted by: ts35"

That's why I think that at present, this is a donut team. No reliable center. Hope somebody steps up.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"Actually, the wins count, too. Rings are probably overrated, since that depends so much on which team you're allowed to coach.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Flip Saunders coaching style is not conductive in developing a young team. The Wizards have two other 1st round picks besides Wall who are not getting any playing time. It's not like we have a veteran team that is going to make it to the playoffs. Who is Booker sitting behind? And Seraphin sure can't do no worse than "fouling machine" Armstrong. Saunders needs to find a way to get some of these guys in the game to gain some experience and build some confidence.

Posted by: spades72 | November 7, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Posted by: ts35 | November 7, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"And wins are overrated when you had a star player (KG) to help you get those wins, but can't do jack with the ones you have now. Yes, Flip Flop takes credit also for not being able to get out of the first round with KG at Minn. until Cassell and Sprewell showed up also.Posted by: DC_MAN88"

Actually, your point was about Lenny Wilkens. I was just noting that Lenny could very well be a great coach regardless of the lack of titles -- since there are so many coaches who were very successful in the NBA but collected few or no rings along the way.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 7, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Agree! I think Cassell would make a great coach.

Posted by: Theone9 | November 7, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35"

Posted by: Samson15

I agree, but at the very least Flip should be going with the C in crunch time who at least brings something to the table, and that's McGee. He has some of the same issues with P&R as HA, but at least opposing players know they have to alter their shots when he's in the game. McGee has his flaws, but he's been aggressively trying to rebound, he obviously blocks shots, and he's the one C who seems capable of finishing around the rim. Not sure what HA brings to the party.

Posted by: ts35 | November 7, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 7, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Agree! I think Cassell would make a great coach.

Posted by: Theone9

I think Cassell will make a good coach some day. Not sure he's ready yet, and I prefer to have him where he is for now, getting lots of one-on-one time with Wall, as opposed to having to run the whole team.

Posted by: ts35 | November 7, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | November 7, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

True, since in the long haul is what we are probably looking at with these Wizards. With Wall, major subtractions of players and aquisitions of new players, the Wizards will be good in the future.

Posted by: Theone9 | November 7, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I agree with whomever pointed out the wizards dont run many P&R's so we shouldnt assume the Bigs are seeing them in practice everyday but just not doing as they are coached.

Anyone notice Mcgee doesnt fall for the pump fakes so easily anymore? That he's trying to dominate the boards? That he bodies up opposing bigs all the time? That he's playing physically and is no longer by any means a stringbean who is easily overpowered?

All that is what Flip and Co have asked of him and coached him up to do. Maybe the poor P&R defense is a result of it not being emphasized in practice?

Who knows, but the idea JM is an idiot super-athlete who can't learn is not borne out by the clear improvements he's shown over just one summer. I think Wiz faithful should be pleased with the obvious improvements and cautiously optimistic he's coming along. He does more good things than bad at this point, which is more than you can currently say for Yi and Armstrong.

Posted by: divi3 | November 7, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, I meant McGee gets 13.1 rebounds per 48 minutes played.

Posted by: and_1 | November 7, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

About Javale: I think the issue with Javale isn't his stats per minute played. It's what else happens (or doesn't happen) when he's on the court against certain opponents.Posted by: Samson151

I would buy that, but I can't think of what of those other things HA is helping to solve.Posted by: ts35

This is Flip trying to limit the opportunity for mistakes down the stretch, isn't it? Sitting McGee means sacrificing the spectacular, but also preventing a boneheaded play. Armstrong doesn't offer those extremes of play. I think the mistake is in perceiving him as a neutral element instead of a net loss.

Posted by: djnnnou | November 7, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't mean they won't have some winning streaks during the season.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't think most folks on this blog understand the "rebuilding" thing. This team is a work in progress. You guys are in for a BIG disappointment if you expect to, or think this team will, make the playoffs. I want to see improvement in small increments.

For example, I'd like to see more interior defense. I'd like to see Flip have more patience with the youngsters (e.g., let McGee atone for his EGREGIOUS fourth quarter boxout error (BPY's Pivotal Play of the Game). He did admit his mistake in not playing AT in the fourth, and that's good enough for me (we ALL make mistakes), although I do believe that decision probably cost us the game. As others have done, I also question whether Flip is the best coach for THIS team.

I don't particularly care about wins and losses. The issue is HOW we win and lose.

Posted by: bpybay | November 7, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

What do you call Armstrong fouling Mo Williams 30ft from the basket with 2:00 left in a tie game?

Posted by: divi3 | November 7, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | November 7, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Agreed! McGee's net effect on the game, despite that clearly boneheaded play, was a positive.

Posted by: bpybay | November 7, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Unexpected

Posted by: djnnnou | November 7, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: djnnnou |

DJ, watching the game last night, imo, Armstrong made a long and wide variety of boneheaded mistakes. I do not see him as being ahead of JaVale in that regard. Armstrong played horribly on the pick and roll. So if he's not going to be the 'fundamentally sound' one, what is he offering?

Posted by: ts35 | November 7, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: djnnnou | November 7, 2010 3:19 PM

No, Hilton is just consistently awful. What a Flip assclown you are.

Posted by: and_1 | November 7, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

So if he's not going to be the 'fundamentally sound' one, what is he offering?Posted by: ts35

uhm, Nothing? I wasn't trying to defend Flip's decision, just offering a reason for it.

Posted by: djnnnou | November 7, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

What a Flip assclown you are.Posted by: and_1

I think your hormones are getting the best of you.

Posted by: djnnnou | November 7, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Since every team this year has attacked them with the P&R, and because it's one of the most basic NBA staples, I would be surprised if they are not working on it in practice. I believe Buck and Phil also referenced Flip shouting out to his team something to the effect of "Here come the P&R, be ready!" during one of Cleveland's possessions. I know it's easy to pick on Flip and assume he's an idiot, but they're all watching game tape, they know they getting destroyed on it, so I would be greatly surprised if they are not working on it. They may not be able to simulate it as well as the teams running it against them, but they're working on it.

Posted by: divi3

With respect, I have seen some improvements in JaVale and the past two games he has definitely attacked the glass harder. But, to be fair, after the Orlando game (where Howard destroyed him) and Atlanta (where Horford definitely outplayed him), he's faced Hawes, Mozgov/Turiaf and Hollins/Hickson. Not exactly the upper-echelon. And he's still making plenty of mistakes. So yes, he's gotten a bit better, but let's not go crazy.

Posted by: ts35 | November 7, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't trying to defend Flip's decision, just offering a reason for it.

Posted by: djnnnou | November 7, 2010 3:50 PM

And a weak one at that.

Posted by: and_1 | November 7, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Not expecting him to be all-world right now are we? He's rebounding well, especially offensive boards. He's blocking shots, boxing out, and shooting 61%FG. And it's not just the Cs we should be considering, Andy SideshowBob may be a PF but he sure works like a defensive minded C. Yeah, Mcgee royally effed that FT rebound...but he was battling and making plays. Something Yi and Armstrong havent done yet (outside preseason).

also, he had 7 blocks and 8rebs against atlanta (in 27mins), guess i remember that as a positive effort despite horford going 21/10

Posted by: divi3 | November 7, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I see some think McGee didn't block out on that free throw miss. Actually he did but Blatche didn't go for the ball. Go back and look at the play. As for loser Flip he has been living off KG for years. He'll tell you he taught KG but we all know McHale earn the credit. Everytime the Wiz start to win Flip sub out the players on the floor. Oh well we'll continue to see old loser coaches and their children.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | November 7, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

"So your theory is that Flip sucked until he had more than one good player? Pretty sure that describes every coach in the NBA.

Posted by: ts35 | November 7, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse "

Flip Flop sucked against the knicks who only had one good player. The cavs had no good players and a new coach, and Flip Flop still sucked also. Flip Flop seems more like a rookie coach instead of one who's 6th on the win list.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | November 7, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Seems like Saunders has to make up stuff not to sub Hinrich too.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 7, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Larry I totally agree with you. McGee takes the blame for poor perimeter defense (from Gilbert and Kirk), just like Haywood use to take the blame.

I don't like taking personal shots at players, but are you telling me there is not another backup 7 footer we could find other then Armstrong? To take out McGee because he missed the rebound on the free throw did not make since.

There were two other Wizards, that were in the lane with McGee, who missed their assignments too.

The 3 guard lineup is starting to remind me of "smallball" with Darious Songalia playing the 5. I just don't like it.

Lastly, I used to be on Flip's side but I am starting to believe they need a younger coach to lead this team. If not Sam Casell, what about Mike Brown? The guy is great at coaching defense and that is what the Wiz need right now.....

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 7, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I am starting to come to the side of those who think Flip Saunders has to go. He obviously has no idea how to coach a young team. And this "Wall has to play" philosophy is going to lead him to run Wall into the ground.

Posted by: tundey | November 7, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

And how can Thornton be on the bench in crunch time? What kind of mistake makes a coach forget his most effective player on the bench? Really, was there any Wizard out there getting things done that'll make Flip forget Thornton? I hate when coaches start playing these stupid mind games? Too early to start tanking for lottery balls.

Posted by: tundey | November 7, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Going with McGee, Yi, and Blatche, isn't like the three guard offense at all. It is using those three together with Gil and Wall, making our interior play stronger and building good interior cohesion between the three of them.

They don't have to start, but they should play together for at least 20-30 minutes a game. The starting small forward whom should be Thornton should get most of the minutes at the three.

Hinrich backs up either guard only and keeps his tail out of the three position. This lineup would contribute more time to solid interior play as well as giving Gill and Wall more consistent time on the floor.

Can't understand why anyone would not see how that lineup would change the whole dynamics versus what we have now depending on Hinrich being the x-factor that puts Thornton on the bench and HA in the game cause Flip doesn't want to experience growing pains from McGee.

Flip coaches from his weaknesses rather than build upon what could be strengths.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 7, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I do not think we all have a problem with the rebuilding process.It is also ovious lottery picks are reasons for future success.Just look to the assistant coaches, they all have no record despite multiple chances.Flip think he is good but i am not sure.
We need to start with a character.Interior defense has never been a significant problem,even Eton Thomas,J.white and our old 1st pick where not bad in working on pick and roll defense.The combination of AB,JM ,Yi and Armstrong can not win a game even in d-leg.
when it is a 1- 10 start, we will see the reaction of the new owner.

Posted by: gtefferra | November 7, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

"Obviously, I meant McGee gets 13.1 rebounds per 48 minutes played.Posted by: and_1"

He doesn't actually. He projects to average 13.1 rebounds if he played 48 minutes of every game, which he never would, and that's why it's pretty much a meaningless stat.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

"The Knicks have Gallinari, Felton, and Amare. Those are all good players. Cavs: Mo williams isn't bad, Hickson looks good and they've played together for a long time."
Posted by: Wizbullets88

I thought the Knicks had talent last season, but it was mostly wing players. They had holes at PG and PF, which they filled. That seems to have made D'Antoni's offense work better. They still don't play much defense. I think they might possibly sneak into the playoffs, but unless they pick up Carmelo, no farther.

Somebody noted that much of the Cavs' roster is intact from the team that led the NBA in victories the last couple years, and smacked Chicago 4 to 1 in the first round of the playoffs. They lost Shaq and Tall Z along with James, of course, but they haven't forgotten how to play defense, and they haven't forgotten how to close out games. I imagine they'll fade as the season progresses, but right now, they're not embarrassing themselves.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I am starting to come to the side of those who think Flip Saunders has to go.

I'm starting to lean that way too. After all, he was chosen to coach a veteran based team with Jamison/Butler and Arenas. Not picked to teach and re-build.

Let's give him until the all-star break (or I will). It's not like this team is going anywhere anyway.

We'll know for sure by 40 games whether there's any direction upward for this team.

They just have too many guys who will have solid games for one or two outings and then completely - absolutely completely - disappear for the next 2-3 weeks.

Posted by: SteveMG | November 7, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Javale is 15th amongst Cs for rebounding and 11th for offensive rebs...while playing 25mins/night- 2 more per game puts him top10. That's not bad for our 22yr old 'project' who is in his 1st season as a starter and 1st with the asthma diagnosed.

He's 4th in blocks and clearly affecting opponent shot selection.

Some real positives there, but needs to improve the glaring weakness in his rotations. I'm willing to bet that's going to come with PT.

Posted by: divi3 | November 7, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I think the fanz spend too much time worrying about McGee -- his playing time, his stats, his mistakes. Sure, he has enticing potential. But the real issue for this club is how well they learn to play as a unit. They're not as talented as the majority of teams in the NBA, so at the moment, the only way to accumulate victories is through superior team play. Let's just Javale and everybody else by how they contribute (or don't) to that.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Ernie ain't changing coach's he'd rather be wrong and lose than make a change for the good of the team and the franchise the only way i see thing's changing is that Ted Leonsis makes a change and in that context i would talk to Mike Woodson the ex Hawks coach.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 7, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

"The Knicks have Gallinari, Felton, and Amare. Those are all good players. Cavs: Mo williams isn't bad, Hickson looks good and they've played together for a long time. Not defending Flip, just saying you're wrong DCMAN. Like always...

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | November 7, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse "

You're wrong as usual.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Grunfeld definitely isn't firing Flip anytime soon. Flip's in only the 2d year of a 4-year deal and is owed about $13+ million. If Flip can't get this team headed in the right direction by season's end, Grunfeld is the one who'll be sent packing.

Posted by: harrybalz | November 7, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

First, it is exactly like the 3-guard line up. You're playing a player at a position he is not suited for, with the hopes that other attributes will make up for those inadequacies. Instead of too-small ball, it's too-big ball. Plus, in case you haven't been watching, Yi hasn't been providing much of a presence, inside or otherwise.

You realize there are only 48 minutes in a game right? Thornton has been balling of late, and you're already limiting him to 28 mins max, in order to experiment with a trick line up. How again is this not like Flip's 3 guard line up?

Perhaps that should wait until Gil loses the weight he gained. He doesn't really have his swagger right now, it's more of a waddle.

Hinrich didn't put Thornton on the bench Sat night, Gil put Thornton on the bench. Meanwhile, you're also trying to put Thornton on the bench more often than he should be, in favor of playing Yi who isn't contributing much at the moment.

Sounds like you and Flip are reading from the same coaching manuals. Our interior defense isn't great right now, and Yi isn't great right now, so let's double-down and assume it will become a 'strength'.

Posted by: ts35 | November 8, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Not at all. Also not making premature statements about McGee 'bodying up opposing bigs' and 'is no longer by any means a stringbean who is easily overpowered' 5 games in, 3 of which were against mediocre competition.

If it's not just the pure C's we're considering, do we get to include Brand and his 21 and 9? And being better at C than Yi and Armstrong is not exactly a resume builder either.

And yet when we talk about Hinrich against the Sixers, he shot 60%, had 4 rebs, and 9 assists, but he's 'not contributing anything'. I'll pause while you come up with a reason "that's different."

I'm fine with saying McGee has shown some improvement this season, but I'm stopping well short of saying that he's definitely improved in some of the areas he's struggled with, based on a short sample and an iffy one at that. Especially since the past few guys he's gone against he should have been able to beat.

Posted by: ts35 | November 8, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Well, that wasn't really your argument was it? We were talking about Flip with the T-Wolves. But if you feel you've lost the first argument (and you have) and want to move to another, by all means...

I have no problem saying Flip botched the Cavs game and deserves his share of the Knicks loss (in fact I already have). There's more than enough actual issues with Flip to have to float bogus, faulty rationale to make the case.

Posted by: ts35 | November 8, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Flip won lots of games in Minnesota despite many ugly situations there that make the Wizards gaffes and mishaps look like kid stuff. In the summer of 2000, Malik Sealy was killed in an auto accident that shook the whole organization and the community. That same summer, there was the Joe Smith salary cap-tampering scandal involving Timberwolves executive Kevin McHale. That mistake cost them $3.5 million in fines and 3 first-round draft picks. Then in 2002 their All Star point guard Terrell Brandon had to retire because of injuries. Flip still guided those teams to the playoffs with a 147-99 record over that 3 year span.
Those of you who feel like giving Flip the Robin Ficker treatment don't know what you are screaming about. Flip is a seasoned coach who has handled adversity, coached young teams before to the playoffs, and is EXACTLY the type of coach we need right now. Will he make mistakes? Will any of you make mistakes this week at YOUR jobs? Shut up and judge the guy at the end of the season.

Besides, Javale doesn't know how to play the center position. He can't box out other NBA caliber centers. Al Thornton likes to take plays off, like Randy Moss in the NFL. That was his rep in L.A. and it seems he is up to his old ways. Let Flip pull them out of games and have them ride the pine. How else will they change their ways? He knows what he is doing.

Posted by: Janitor_with_a_Jumpshot | November 8, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

I love the headline of this article, and the truth contained within. There's plenty of negative accountability to go around including the coach's.

Lost in this MIKE LEE commentary of the end game is the stinker of a rushed shot ARENAS threw up on the possession after the four point play. It was a typical GA move. Rather than play team ball and work the rock around for a solid shot, GIL goes for the low percentage dagger to pull the will of the team back toward a winning attitude.

Of course, the shot drew nothing but iron, and the CAVS had the ball and the game. They never looked back.

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 8, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Janitor_with_a_Jumpshot

Seems he's up to old ways? Based on what? The truth is Al Thornton has played hard all year, so there's no need to falsely portray him as Randy Moss to ballast your laughable assertion that Flip is a good coach. Thornton scored 23 points through 3 quarters, had six rebounds and was hustling his azz off in the Cleveland game and our "seasoned coach" decided he'd let him cool his heels.

We've all seen enough of Flip to see that he can't do much when he doesn't have a first-ballot, future HoFer or a team that has already won an NBA Finals.

Posted by: harrybalz | November 8, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Uh, that was in 42mins of play. KH had 4pts/2assts in the 3rd/4th/OT...yeah, that's quite a bit different than 8pts/7blocks in 25 mins.

Posted by: divi3 | November 8, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

I really cannot follow your logic on this one ts35. Normally your opposing opinion can be easily surmised, but on playing Yi, Blatche and McGee together, it cannot be followed why you think that is like the 3-guard offense.

Assuming that Blatche and Yi aren't interchangeable or flexible enough to play at the three hasn't been proven. On the other hand we know for sure that Hinrich cannot play the three.

Also assuming that having the three together would not help shore up their individual deficiency is also not proven.

I am well aware that Yi isn't fairing so well now. What I see in Yi is a player that needs help with interior play. Having him play as the only big is pointless. However, having him out there with two bigs should help his game.

The three guard offense actually does not help overall team play. We see evidence that it hurts overall team play.

On the other hand, you have no evidence to say that Yi, Blatche, and McGee together for consistent stretches in games will not help overall team play, especially on the inside.

And remember, we are not talking about stationary plodding bigs, we are talking three mobile bigs that should fit well into the running the floor type of game that Wall and Arenas should be killing at.

Come on ts35, you got to come with me on this one. Swoop to Hoop, Babee!

And ts35, when the tempo is upped, what happens, the bigs have to concentrate on interior play because the ball is going to the basket. That is a fact of running the ball in which these bigs we have are more suited for.

Our bigs are not suited for the traditional big man play, nor is league like that anymore, and the 3-gaurd play actually slows the team down.

Going big with Yi, Blatche, and McGee will actually cause the Team to run more.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 8, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

And ts35, I have played a ton of basketball. When I played on teams that had mobile big men, we ran teams in the ground.

With plodding traditonal back to board big men the transition game was hard to come by.

You see your boy Flip is mixed up in the head. He says he wants to run the ball with Wall and at the same time he wants his bigs to play a traditional half court game.

It won't work that way. Everybody has to run and he has the bigs to run but he isn't using them or coaching them that way.

TS35, I know a running game when I see one and Flip does not have this team running, certainly not his bigs.

John Wall is doing all the running and nobodyelse because Flip isn't coaching a running game.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 8, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

FIRE FLIP

he chooses favorites too much, KIRK hinrich, GARNETT

punishes young players like NY and JM, rewards bumbs with PT like hilton armstrong?

terrible rotaions

he it our main problem

Posted by: skinsfan09 | November 8, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I really thought we should have been able to beat Cleveland. Their talent isn't that much greater than ours but we really only lost because they out shot us. They shot the ball much better and truthfully, (not that this is a big secret) we lack good consistant perimeter shooting. I thought the team played decent defense and challenged Cleveland on the boards, but two plays come to mind.

John Wall runs out to challenge Daniel Gibson's 3 point attempt, Gibson up fakes, steps to the side and nails the 3.

A Cleveland player makes the first of two free throws but after missing the second the long rebound makes its way out to Anthony Parker who nails a three from the corner giving them a four point play.

They made shots and we didi not make enough of them.

Posted by: gmac78 | November 8, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Of course it is...to you. Only someone who has already made up their mind would decide that 9 assts for a game is not contributing.

Meanwhile, I wasn't trying to hate on McGee. I purposefully didn't mention that in his 27 mins he also had 5 turnovers and 5 fouls. Or mention that he didn't contribute anything in the 4th quarter against ATL except for 1 tunrover, 1 block and 1 foul in 4 seconds of play. Because I'm not saying he's not contributing and not improving, I'm just stopping short of saying he's cracked the code on his issues from last year based on a short sample against questionable competition.

Posted by: ts35 | November 8, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse