Posted at 4:30 PM ET, 11/20/2010

John Wall, Yi Jianlian likely out against Detroit

By Michael Lee

John Wall said that he would "probably not" be available on Sunday when the Wizards face the Detroit Pistons at the Palace of Auburn Hills, Mich. Wall has missed the past three games and is recovering from a sprained left foot suffered on Nov. 13 in Chicago.

"It's still swollen," Wall said, as he left the Wizards locker room at Verizon Center.

He also had a bone bruise on the inside of the ankle that has contributed to some swelling in his foot. Wall is free from his protective walking boot, but was limited to shooting and non-contact drills on Saturday at a brief practice. He said his foot is getting better and is hoping to be possibly ready by Tuesday, when the Wizards host Philadelphia.

"It's hard to push off, from it," Wall said, "but it got way better than it was before. I can walk on it without the boot. I'm just waiting, basically taking time and taking treatment for it."

Wall is the Wizards' leader in scoring (18.1 points) and assists (9.8) and leads the league in steals (3.3). He has been anxious to return, but thrilled to see how the team has responded in his absence, with Gilbert Arenas taking a more active role scoring and Kirk Hinrich, a natural point guard, doing more ball handling and distributing.

"It's been tough [not playing]. I always want to be out there to help my team, but they're doing a great job, they're 2-1 right now, winning and playing together and getting their confidence up and learning how to win," Wall said.

Wall said he has used his time away as a learning experience, so that he can be better whenever he returns. "I've learned a whole lot, watching and seeing what plays are open, how people are guarding them and what kind of reads you got. Ever since I 've been playing, I've been watching game tapes. But I'm just focused more on how guys are getting to score. You can learn from what people are telling you when they sit down on the sideline. You see how teams are guarding you."

Arenas is averaging 22 points in the Wizards' two wins without Wall and said the players are figuring out how to play with each other. "John's strengths are different than ours. He's more of a fast break machine," Arenas said of Wall after the Wizards defeated Memphis, 89-86, on Friday. "So when he's in the game we have to lay back and let him do his thing and then we find our rhythm. With Kirk, I've watched his game playing against the Bulls, and he's more of a dribble drive guy so I have to know when to open up for him."

He said earlier this week that the team wouldn't have a problem adjusting back to Wall. "This is John's team. So when he gets back, everybody falls back into place. I'll be coming back off the bench as the sixth man, and then from there, we'll find our way."

Yi Jianlian will also be sidelined with a hyperextended right knee. Yi was able to run on Saturday but said that he still has difficulty moving laterally. He has also been sidelined for the past week, with Wall taking a charge from Luol Deng and falling on Yi's leg. When asked if he would be ready by Thursday, Yi said, "I hope."

Josh Howard is still hoping to come back in December. There has been speculation that he would come back in time for the Wizards to play the Los Angeles Lakers on Dec. 14. When asked if that is a possibility, Howard said, "I wish. I really don't know. And if I did, I wouldn't tell you."

By Michael Lee  | November 20, 2010; 4:30 PM ET
Categories:  John Wall, Yi Jianlian
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Greivis Vasquez gets mixed reception
Next: Wizards hope to end road skid

Comments

In Gil we trust!

Posted by: zack5 | November 20, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so who thinks JWow is out for the season?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 20, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

So I see NO traded Stojakovic and SG Jerryd Bayless to Toronto for Jarrett Jack and backup big man David Andersen.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 20, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"Yi was able to run on Saturday but said that he still has difficulty moving laterally. "

It's not like he didn't have difficulty moving laterally before he got hurt.

Toronto is dumping salary, figuring that if they're going to be bad they might as well be cheap, too. It'll be interesting to see how it works out for N.O. They're obviously looking for a quality backup PG to replace Collison. Not sure either Jack or Banks will fill the bill.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 20, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

In Gil we trust!

Posted by: zack5 | November 20, 2010 4:44 PM

In Gil we must...for now.

Posted by: and_1 | November 20, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I hope Wall is seeing multiple specialist regarding his foot/ankle and not just relying on the Wizards quack medical staff. He's been day-to-day for too long when it seems that the initial recuperation time should have been given as at least 1-2 weeks.

Posted by: and_1 | November 20, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Ew, Willie Green and Marcus Banks are on the same team now. That's like getting syphilis and gonorrhea. Even for New Orleans that can't be pleasant.

Posted by: djnnnou | November 20, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

@divi3
i dunno about his size being a liability

There was a french website that said Wiz wanted him to put on 15-20pounds of muscle over the summer, and imho, he sure looks thicker and slower than he did in the euroclips. Then again, euro-league play is so sloooow maybe he just looked quicker there

Posted by: divi3 | November 20, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

"That's like getting syphilis and gonorrhea. Even for New Orleans that can't be pleasant.
Posted by: djnnnou"

LOL that's...picturesque.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 20, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Ted Leonsis should fire the entire medical staff unless he would have his prized #1 draft pick career ruined by Dr. Vinnie Boombatz and his quack staff.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 20, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: and_1 | November 20, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

and_1

Come they did a wonderful job with Javaris Crittenton last year?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 20, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

This should be a real good game now. I hope Flip is smart enough to put Gil at the 1 on defense and let Kirk chase Rip. Im telling you that I think Gil will go off on this team if we dont deflate his mindset on defense. Even if we struggle as a team, Gil will single handily keep us in it. Stuckey, Rip, Bynum, or Gordon cant even come close to stopping him if he wants to go off. Dont wear him out on D Flip. Stuckey's been killing guys one on one lately but I think Gil can do a solid job on him and if he scores then I know Gil will go right back at him

Posted by: dlts2041 | November 20, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

In my estimation, the Pistons are a team of underachievers. Look at their roster.
They have Rodney Stuckey, Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, and Ben Wallace starting. Then you factor in Tracy McGrady, Ben Gordon, and Charlie Vllanueva or Jason Maxiel coming off the bench. That's a serious veteran roster, even if they are starting to show their age.

The Wizards basically have Gilbert Arenas, Andray Blatche, Nick Young [??] and maybe Al Thornton [???] to carry the scoring load. Those four Wizards will have to have to play maximum minutes (along with JaVale) if they're gonna have any chance of winning.

Our guys will have to be at the top of their game to steal this one at the Palace.

Posted by: musicmanjr | November 20, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Im not impressed with that roster at all. Tmac is dead, Ben & Rip are old, Prince is getting there, Ben & CV are all offense and get lit up on defense. Stuckey is a 50/50 guy. He's talented but he has no PG skills and is just a one on one scorer. They arent underacheiving at all

Posted by: dlts2041 | November 20, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

@dlts2041:
Stuckey has 16.1 scoring average, 5.7 assists per game and a PER of 18.5. That's not exactly a 50/50 player. Ben Gordon's PER is 18.7 which wouldn't indicate that he's getting "lit up" on a regular basis. And Charlie Villanueva has always created match up problems for Andray Blatche.

I hope that I'm wrong. But, this game may turn out to be a bit more competitive than you think.

Posted by: musicmanjr | November 20, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

The Pistons aren't very good right now, but neither are the Wizards. Neither team is in a position where they can anticipate a lot of easy wins or afford to look down their noses at a weak opponent. Chances are this'll be like most of the (few) games that either of these teams have won this season: close, hard-fought, mistake-filled, and unpleasant to watch.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 20, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Detroit is old and boring. The Wizards should win.

Posted by: Theone9 | November 20, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Any win by the Wizards would be pleasant for me to watch. Unpleasant, certainly not.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 20, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Gil is handling himself like the consummate professional, older and wiser and showing leadership. This has been a great transformation for him. I'm not a big Shaq fan, but if we had picked him up this off-season and used him off the bench, this team would be as good as any in the league. Maybe he would have been a distraction, that is not such a big problem on a veteran team like Boston. Maybe next season we can get him or someone big with skills. There aren't many large bigs with skills, though. McGee and Armstrong are doing very good, but, the big centers are moving them out of position. This is our only soft spot. For a championship, that has to be solved.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | November 20, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

@musicmanjr, dont get it twisted. I wouldnt be shocked at all if we lose tomorrow. Im speaking more of the long term of this season. I think when we are fully healthy with Gil, Howard, & Dray all back in normal form then we are clearly better if you ask me.

Stuckey is a good player but Pistons fans get sick of him alot because he's not a real PG. He just scores for the most part. So much so that alot of times they run Prince at the point. Tyreke Evans is a beast but a ton of people rip him & say that he's a black hole. They think he kills an Offense at the point. Thats why he's at the 2 this year. its the same for Stucky.

Posted by: dlts2041 | November 21, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

"I'm not a big Shaq fan, but if we had picked him up this off-season and used him off the bench, this team would be as good as any in the league. posted by 1bmffwb"

LOL I'm asking for a drug test.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 21, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

But even here I think about my Wizards, and our prospects. That's why it cracks me up to here the Gil apologists talk about his amazing professionalism and maturity based on this report:

....

This is the voice of a man who is counting his days until he can leave "John's team" and not "fall into place." Gil ain't happy coming off the bench, and I'm not happy until he's gone (or a reasonable return, of course, not just jettisoning the contract).

Posted by: zinger1 | November 21, 2010 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Samson 151: I put your dumb comment about Shaq alongside you're delight at djnnnou's STD indictment of New Orleans, and I'm especially annoyed at the latter reference as I sit here in the French Quarter enjoying this endangered treasure of New Orleans, this rich cultural stew that means so much to the identity of our nation. We should all live so good.posted by zinger1"

I'm not even going to pretend I understand this.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 21, 2010 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Ok, so who thinks JWow is out for the season?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 20, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I've been thinking that at any minute I will come on here and there will be breaking news that John Wall is having season ending surgery on his ankle.

Posted by: MeviousMan | November 21, 2010 2:51 AM | Report abuse

The only real weakness the Wizards have is when the Magic, or Celtics push our Centers out of the paint. Our guards and forwards match up with any others in the game. Against certain teams our centers are very good. The big loads are our only issue. McGee and Armstrong are fine against about 25 teams. Why wouldn't a Shaq help our team. Is is unreasonable to think he could push on the other teams bigs and then sit down for McGee to do his thing. This is a big mans game. The majority of NBA players are big. Doesn't it make sense that the biggest position player should be a big big man. The Lakers have a desire for a bigger center when they get towards the playoffs. On the Shaq statement, my point is, I cant think of another big man, who can score, pass, rebound, defend the paint, and act as an enforcer. We have no shot at Howard. Boston wanted him, so are they stupid?

Posted by: 1bmffwb | November 21, 2010 3:26 AM | Report abuse

"On the Shaq statement, my point is, I cant think of another big man, who can score, pass, rebound, defend the paint, and act as an enforcer. We have no shot at Howard. Boston wanted him, so are they stupid?"

Posted by: 1bmffwb | November 21, 2010 3:26 AM

Stupid? No. A legit title contender even w/o Shaq? Yes. That makes all the difference.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 21, 2010 4:09 AM | Report abuse

"Stuckey is a good player but Pistons fans get sick of him alot because he's not a real PG. He just scores for the most part."

Posted by: dlts2041 | November 21, 2010 12:02 AM

Hmmm . . . that sounds oddly familiar.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 21, 2010 4:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlts2041 | November 21, 2010 12:02 AM

Hmmm . . . that sounds oddly familiar.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 21, 2010 4:11 AM

Don't even compare stuckey to Gil. At one time Gil was a top 7 player in this league. He also won a playoff series. Stuckey will never be what Gil was or is. Stop hating loser.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | November 21, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards have always been disingenuous with the public about their better players injuries. Think about how the whole deal with Arenas was dragged out. Its a business. They want to sell tickets. When you are a bottom feeder, and currently have only a few players who anyone really wants to pay money to see, telling the public a key player might be out for a couple of weeks is bad business so they just say day to day. Its their money and their business so they can do what they want. It may be dishonest but its not illegal.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | November 21, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

On JW's injury.
Ankle sprain if low grade 7-10 days off will heal it all.
high grade ankle sprain 2weeks intenssive treatment.
Ankle Bone bruise is a difficult injury to predit out come, it is usually noting , no on going injury except pain.If he tolerate the pain he might come as early as against Atlanta.Mis diagnosis is very common in ankle injury, i like what john did ,he saw three specialists with repeated MRI,i am sure the comment he had from the three specialist will help him to take best action.

Posted by: gtefferra | November 21, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

So Detroit will sit Austin Daye and start Jason Maxiell tonight. Charlie Villanueva will see plenty of minutes, too. Both those guys have killed Washington in past seasons...

Posted by: Samson151 | November 21, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Thornton, Young and Yi get some ink in Tom Ziller's QO Madness over at Fanhouse. They're more of a throw-in to a Greg Oden piece, but it's still worth the read.

Posted by: djnnnou | November 21, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I read somewhere on this board after the Magics embarrassed the Wizards and then went on and got clobbered by the Heat. It was said that when the Heat play the Wizards, the margin of victory will be much worse than what they suffered from the Magics. Well, a day after the Wizards defeated Memphis, the Grizzlies came back and beat the Heat. What to make of this person's logic?

Posted by: spades72 | November 21, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The only legit chance this team has of winning is when they have Arenas starting, whether it's alongside Wall is up to Flip but like i said in an earlier post if Flip is a real "coach" then he finds a way to have both Gil and JWall in lineup when the game is on the line, if Flip is smart he develops a second lineup with Kurt and NY coming off the bench with Hilton and two other effective bench players.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 21, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Kurt
Posted by: dargregmag

I think we all know who you mean, but isn't it about time you started referring to "Kurt" by his name?

Posted by: nmik | November 21, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

#1 Gil needs to start! I'd like to see Hinrich in the old AD role off the bench.

#2 I am patiently waiting til we see a starting 5 Wall, Arenas, Howard, Blatche, McGee. I think the speed of that group is gonna be fun to see. With that I like the bench featuring Hinrich, Young, Booker, Thornton, Yi and Armstrong.

#3 I am starting to like the McGee/Armstrong combo being used like the old Haywood/Etan rotation.

Posted by: Darnell1 | November 21, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Watching the game vs the Grizzlies made me realize things could be worse.

Also "Wizards" is kinda growing on me finally, although I still wish for a return to Bullets...

But compared to Grizzlies how lame is that? What do Grizzly Bears have to do with basketball, or Memphis? At least Wizards has basketball connotations "ball wizard" and not much else goes with "W" , like Walt "the Wizard" Williams I always liked the name with him. I do also kinda like the emblem with the Wizard spinning the ball doin a finger-role and his beard making a W. I wish they'd go with more of a old school look to the unis though.

Posted by: Darnell1 | November 21, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Maybe a darker red white & blue with stars and stripes down the sides. Have "WASHINGTON" across the chest, and "DC" surrounded by a circle of stars bellow it.

Posted by: Darnell1 | November 21, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Kirk Hinrich will start until he gets traded or until Flip is fired, so nobody should be surprised to see Arenas come off the bench ALL SEASON. Flip couldn't have written a better script for Gil's transition to 6th man (the role Flip wanted him to play all along, imo).

Oddly, Hinrich's scoring this year is slightly below his career pace (12.1 vs. 13.4) but his FG percentage is appreciably higher (48% vs. 42%). Maybe all he needs to do is shoot more and all will be right in Wizards World.

Who would've predicted years ago when Gil was an All Star, averaging nearly 30 ppg, etc. that Hinrich would be the man to send him to bench?

Posted by: and_1 | November 21, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: and_1 | November 21, 2010 12:42 PM

What is in your coffee?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 21, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

What is in your coffee?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 21, 2010 1:09 PM

LOL Reality.

Posted by: and_1 | November 21, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I do not buy the idea of bringing Arenas from the bench.He should be a starter,No team wound consider Arenas as a 6 man.He still have the potential to be an all star. Arenas when he get matured and understand to play a team game has lost the PG position, any smart team who will be interested in his wisdom and shooting ablity will pull the triger to pick him before the season is over or atmost before next season is going to start.

Posted by: gtefferra | November 21, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

As Gil gets closer to being 'Gil', i.e. getting more confidence in his knee, getting a bit more of his bounce back, and just being used to playing again, I think he'll start. KH brings good things to the table, but Gil brings a lot of those same things and he has a greater ability to score. He's a better spot-up shooter than KH is at this point, which is important playing with Wall. But I think either way, both will continue to play with Wall a healthy bit.

It will be hard to do, but since KH and Gil seem to have a bit of chemistry, maybe they back off on Wall's minutes a bit, and let KH and Gil play together a bit more. Before people lose their minds, I'm not talking about cutting minutes a lot, just backing off a bit from the 39 he's playing now, to a more reasonable 33 or 34.

Imo, backing off on Wall's minutes helps Wall in the long run, it definitely provides a change of pace from any Wall backcourt combo, and it might also help Nick Young keep getting minutes he's earned in the short term.

Posted by: ts35 | November 21, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: djnnnou | November 21, 2010 11:40 AM

----

Young seems to be pulling it together this year after three seasons of inconsistent bench play and spot starts.

He's a no-question NBA rotation player, a more flexible Daniel Gibson. Given that Young's QO is only $3.7 million, it would seem like the Wizards would offer it up and try to work out a sensible extension with the guard.

But I thought Nick was headed overseas????

Posted by: divi3 | November 21, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse