Posted at 9:38 PM ET, 11/22/2010

Lester Hudson on getting waived: "It's a business"

By Michael Lee

I'm waving goodbye. (AP Photo)

For the previous few days at practice, Lester Hudson was the last player the leave the court, as he used some extra time to take jumpers with Wizards assistants Ryan Saunders and Wes Unseld Jr.

Hudson had been struggling all season to regain the shooting touch that earned him a roster spot. And, since he is more of a scorer than a point guard, off-target jumpers didn't work out too well for the "Baby Microwave."

He realized that his time with the Wizards was about to come to an abrupt end when he got a phone call on Monday morning asking him to come in and meet with Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld and vice president of basketball administration Tommy Sheppard. So when he sat down and they told him that he was getting waived, Hudson wasn't shocked.

"I knew it was going to be something," Hudson said before leaving the arena for the last time. "The last couple of days, I had a feeling about something. I don't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing. And it was this."

Hudson has been in this position too many times in his young career, after getting waived by both Boston (the team that drafted him) and Memphis (his hometown team) last season. With the Wizards loaded at point guard, Hudson didn't get many opportunities, but he admits that he did little with the chances that he received. He scored just two points, and missed all nine of his field goal attempts, with six assists in five games.

"I always put it on myself," Hudson said. "It don't matter what, it's my fault, not coach fault, nobody else. I take the blame. I don't care, no matter the opportunities I get. I just got to show up whenever I do get the opportunity, so, it's on me."

The Wizards needed his roster spot to re-unite with Alonzo Gee, an athletic, 6-foot-6 wing player tenacious enough to play both forward positions and shooting guard. Hudson said he didn't take the decision personally. "Well, it's a business. I was in a same position like this last year, nothing new. I've just got to stick with it, stay focused."

Grunfeld and Sheppard gave Hudson some words of encouragement, telling him that he belongs in the NBA and should find his way back in due time. Placed in this position last season, Hudson had to earn his keep in the NBA Developmental League, but Hudson said he hadn't considered that option just yet. "I don't know about the D-League. I don't think it's on my mind right now. Might be D-League, but it depends," Hudson said.

Although he's disappointed that he didn't last until Thanksgiving, Hudson said he would use the time away to be with his family and friends in Memphis. "Going back home for the holidays. Just spending time with my family now. I miss them a lot. Just go down and enjoy them and see where everything falls into place next week."

By Michael Lee  | November 22, 2010; 9:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alonzo Gee rejoins Wizards, Lester Hudson waived [UPDATED]
Next: Gee: Signing with Spurs was 'big decision'

Comments

Good luck Lester Hudson!

Thanks for that killer game winner during the pre-season.

Posted by: japhy_ryder | November 22, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Pulling for you Lester.Good Luck!

Posted by: ptp09 | November 22, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Wizards assistants Ryan Saunders and Wes Unseld Jr?

I guess kal is right with the staff Flip put together the players are on their own?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 22, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

The miami Heat are 4 wins away to be better than the MJ bulls record of 72 wins,hahaha

Posted by: gtefferra | November 23, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

blurred you and some like you think howard is the second coming of kobe, and he only played 4 games. Before you anoint him, lets see how he jells with the others plays. Lest hope he comes back fine.

Posted by: maejude | November 22, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

When did I ever say anything about Howard other than guys like Nick young get significant PT when starters like Howard are injured?

First you call nick a SG, then you say SG's only shoot, then you make up some sentiment about howard that I never put forth...I get it - you love nick. Good for you. I am sorry i hurt your feelings.

*******

Let's say you've got 15 or so on the roster of each of 30 teams, making 450 players who can actually claim to be in the NBA. Of those, maybe 60% get playing time. The others see action mostly as injury replacements. Alonzo Gee is one of those guys, and so is Cartier Martin. If the roster's weak enough -- as in Washington -- they can see the court more often. But on a club like San Antonio, not so much.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 22, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Kind of my point about Nick Young. A team with a consistent player that can play the whole game is going to play that player ahead of a guy like Nick who may light it up for 20 or may go 1-8. Either way he is a rebounding liability and a "black hole" as some used to call Jamison.

The guy is decent enough on D, but really in comparison to the other players on one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

There is a spot for Nick, and he is cheap. But that spot moves further and further down the depth chart as your team gets more complete players and he is cheap for a reason.

Posted by: Blurred | November 23, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

But enough about Nick...he is what he is and hope he continues to improve.

Let's talk about how happy Larry would be if Haywood were still on the team:

BH: 20 mpg; 4ppg; 5rpg; .1 apg, 1bpg but at least he has as many steals as Nick young

McGee: 27mpg; 9ppg; 8rpg; .5apg; almost 3 bpg and .8spg (thats almost 3 times as many as Haywood.

So, just to reiterate, last year i said haywood was a bum who was having his best season, which made him a very mediocre player and that he only plays well when working for a contract.

Looks like he got that contract and is reverting to form. Form that is over the hill at this point, too.

Posted by: Blurred | November 23, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

A scorer who can't score would seem to be a bit of a problem.

Posted by: randysbailin | November 23, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse