Open thread: Wizards (1-4) vs. Rockets (1-5)

By Gene Wang

Tonight's matchup is being billed as Yi vs. Yao on Asian Heritage Night at Verizon Center, and despite the two rarely having faced each other one-on-one throughout their NBA careers, Wizards Coach Flip Saunders said they would do so in this game. At 7 feet 6, Yao's focus has always been inside, and he'll draw JaVale McGee defensively to start. But Saunders said one of the best ways to play Yao is to make him expend energy defending on the perimeter, where Yi feels comfortable. The 7-0 Yi spends much more time in that area than Yao, who said earlier this week the hairline fracture in his left foot that kept him out all of last season may have allowed Yi to thrive and become a more assertive player during the FIBA world championships last summer. Yi averaged 20.2 points and 10.2 points in the tournament and helped China advance to the elimination round. Chat about the game in the comments below, or join the conversation on Twitter with Gene Wang (@gene_wang). See your tweets here by using #wizards.

Tipoff: 7 p.m.; TV: CSN; Radio: 106.7 FM.

By Gene Wang  | November 10, 2010; 6:55 PM ET
Categories:  Yi Jianlian
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trevor Booker hoping to play against cousin Jordan Hill of Houston
Next: Yi vs. Yao never develops

Comments

Hinrich two tornovers in a row in the Money Q.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 10, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

OMG why does henrich play??......ever?!?

Posted by: s22312 | November 10, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Rumor Central:

Magic Johnson sitting next to Teddy at the VC. He's auditioning for the GM job, with an option to buy a stake in the team afterwards.

Why not? He's got a lot of local investments including his movie theaters.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 10, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Great game by Wall. Andrae seems to be getting in shape and fared well against a tough matchup against Scola. Yi and Javale weer solid as well. Its time to put Hinrich on the bench as a reserve. If we are going to compete with good teams we will need more scoring.

Posted by: NewManagement | November 10, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

My Gil Thoughts

I think Gil's main problem right now is confidence. I was actually pretty relieved in this game because whenever he did anything towards the basket, he did have a pretty solid burst. The problem is his timing is off, he's rusty, and he just doesnt have complete confidence so he still either runs into someone or just flat out doesnt go in 100% attack mode. Confidence is a tricky thing though. Its hard to get confidence back in the role he's playing now. Not only is he a bench player but he's a true bench player.

When Jordan had him coming off the bench, he will still come in real early like Ginobli does so he was a boarderline starter who stayed relatively warm. Flip on the other hand has him coming in with just like 2min left in the quarter. That means Gil sits, gets cold, gets nervous, knee stiffens, and he comes in gun shy. If he started then he would come in straight out of the warmups & intros when guys are pumped and have there most confidence. It would be easier for him to get in the swing of things.

Also, when he came off the bench last time, he was a different guy. He was an injuried guy who had missed all year but he was a cocky madly confident player. He could come in and light it up. Now this is another knee surgery later and he's not that same guy. He'll get it back but it will only happened if he starts or plays earlier. After that it will come back soon enough. I liked the way he looked when he put the ball on the floor tonight. He just has to get more confident with it and get his timing back.

He'll get there. I was scared after last game but this game I feel better. He's settling for that J because its easy to do. Its hard to drive & work but he's looking better. Now Flip just has to start him. Flip said it would be 3 games so hopefully he starts him in the next one. However, he will be matched up against Jackson which isnt easy.

Also, did anyone notice in this game that in the halfcourt Gil played more of the PG role or atleast was at the top more? I called for this after the NY game. It works better because we always have to kick out to Wall at the top for the open J but he cant make it or wont shoot it so it hurts us. With Gil up top, teams wont double down as easy. Also, if we then swing it to Wall on the wing then he can quickly slash. It just works better as far as spreading the D and helping the post guys

Posted by: dlts2041 | November 10, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Wall finally gets his turnovers down (only one)and what does Kirk Hinrich do? He gets six turnovers and tries to singlehandedly deliver Houston a win.

And this just in...John Wall is pretty good.

Posted by: 2020doc | November 10, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

You can clearly see in tonight's game that the team was playing its best when JWow was running the point, and he had inside threats with Yi and AB. It was much more attacking and fast paced. Yi was especially active with and without the ball, and AB took care of business in the paint. Al had some solid play too.

Unfortunately, with JaTravel in the game, his MO was just trying to block everything into the bleachers each time, while throwing himself out of position. With Gilby running the point, the flow stopped and it looked too forced and predictable.

I think this was JWow's first triple double, and he only had 1 turnover.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 10, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

John Wall - 19 points, 13 assits, 10 rebounds and 6 steals (could have had more). enough said.

Kirk Hinrich - gone after this season. Does not fit.

Gilbert Arenas - Have not seen enough of him to judge him.
But what I see so far, he's holding himself in from
showing how he really can play. So far, John plays
better without Arenas on the court.

Andray Blatche - love the dude but if I am being honest,
he's a very solid backup.It's now that I notice he can't
jump. All his fake move won't work aganist elite teams
such as Orlando. However, if we draft a player such as
Harrison Barnes, then Blatches will be fine as a starter.
Unfortunately, I dont see the wizards being a lottery team
this year. Yea, I said it!

Javale McGee - Love the dude but he got to gain 20 more pounds.
Not only that but somebody need to tell him to stop thinking he
need to shoot the ball everytime he get the ball. McGee get shot
happy too often at the wrong time. This is why he not in the game
at the last minutes of the game. Anyhow, McGee can be an all star
if he work harder and eat more burgers.

Nick Young - Bye bye, period!

Hilton Armstrong - 3rd stringer.

Yi Jianlian - I really like the dude and I think he fit perfectly
with John wall. Remind me of Jeff Ruland back in the days. Yi is
a very good mid range shooter that John Wall like to find first
after driving through the lane.

Al Thornton - Make a great backup and we should resign the dude.

Ernie G. - Should be replaced by Magic Johnson as GM.

Posted by: demonj21 | November 10, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Passing of the torch tonight...buy bye Yao, hello Yi.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 10, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

This was a pretty good tuchus-whipping except for that 63.6% from the line... that alone will cost some games unless corrected.

Arenas I thought looked much better tonight even though his shot was off and he picked up 4 fouls in 23 minutes, unusual for him. I'm always amazed when I read here that the team's main need is more scoring -- 98 points is plenty if you play halfway decent defense. It's hard to make Gilbert's outside shot drop through the basket on command. Much easier to focus on defensive play and improve your chances for victory that way.

Wall's line will get all the attention (deservedly) but IMO the hidden star tonight was Yi, who finished with 4 blocks to go with 7 rebounds in 29 minutes. Didn't hurt that Yao wasn't playing.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 10, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

HINRICH sucks. Has in every game he's been in so far, that I've seen. If YOUNG can't beat him out for the first #2 sub, he should be traded for a #2 that can. Then HINRICH should go as well. Did I say how I really feel.....HINRICH sucks. Where's MIKE MILLER when you need him?

Now something positive. A triple double with 6 steals..........WALL and MAGIC, the only two players to do it in six games.

Keep playing like this WIZARDS and you'll win at least 60% of the games left (76).

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 10, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

"Yi Jianlian - I really like the dude and I think he fit perfectly
with John wall. Remind me of Jeff Ruland back in the days."Posted by: demonj21

LOLOLOLOLOL. Jeff Ruland and Yi -- like a mirror image.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 10, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

"Yi Jianlian - I really like the dude and I think he fit perfectly
with John wall. Remind me of Jeff Ruland back in the days. Yi is
a very good mid range shooter that John Wall like to find first
after driving through the lane.

Al Thornton - Make a great backup and we should resign the dude.

Ernie G. - Should be replaced by Magic Johnson as GM.

Posted by: demonj21 | November 10, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse "

Unfortunlately, Jeff Ruland never had hops. Yi is more athletic, while Ruland was a bruiser. Yi needs to work on holding his position and creating space to get his shot off.

AB needs to watch more film on Hakeem Olajuwon. All those moves he uses were what the Dream used to fake Shaq out of his shoes.

It's too bad James Singleton left the team. He gave us some tough play last season.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 10, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Impressive win...even if Houston is down right now. Sort of a best case capture of my expectations going into the season...exception being that freak John Wall.

It's a little scary how the media is tracking Wall's stats in comparison to Oscar and others at this stage. I wonder how much attention he is paying to it...lot of pressure...basically intimating John Wall, at this point in his career, is the greatest basketball player in the history of the NBA ...with the existing 6 game data set in contrast to other NBA hall of famers initial 6 games. crazy stuff.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 10, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

"I said YI shouldn't be in the NBA. One game on ASIAN HERITAGE NIGHT, and with 400 million CHINESE watching back home isn't going to make me change my mind.......yet. If he consistantly plays at the level he did this evening he's back on the team as far as I'm concerned, and all is forgiven.

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 10, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse "

So, should we expect all black NBA players to be performing better during Black History month and white players all other months?

LOL! I don't think Yi needs your forgiveness.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 10, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

How in the world is Kirk Hinrich getting any minutes??????? If that was Nick Young, he would have got yanked after the 2nd turnover.....??????

Not sure why Flip sat down J McGee most of the 4th quarter.....??? I know Yi had it going and maybe that is the reason. J McGee looks like he is really focused on getting rebounds now.

I like Yi backing up McGee. Armstrong should never see the floor. Hinrich's minutes need to be cut in half and given to Nick Young....!!!!

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 10, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

NY, another wasted night.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 10, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Hinrich's minutes need to be cut in half and given to Nick Young....!!!!

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 10, 2010 10:14 PM

And if Nick can't step up, I'd like to see Cartier Martin get some minutes at SG. I like what I see from him. Flip threw him a bone tonight with a few token minutes, but he's a nice swing player and is better on defense than Hinrich, imho.

Posted by: tgif11 | November 10, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

NY => D-League

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 10, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

NY

I can't help but imagine what the Wizards backcourt could look like with a functional shooting guard...I don't care who it is but I know it's not the guy starting now.

Great game by the Wiz!

Posted by: bobabuie | November 10, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

correction: NY

Posted by: bobabuie | November 10, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, let's see how I did in my expectations for the game....

Imo, the Wiz will end up playing much like they did against Atlanta. They'll be more or less in it throughout, but in the end, Houston will just have a bit too much for them.
Posted by: ts35

Happily Wrong!

Brooks being out will help, but I have a feeling they'll still struggle with Lowry and K-Mart.

Push. I know K-mart lit them up for 31, but strangely it didn't feel like he was giving them problems in the same way that guys like Joe Johnson or Lou Williams did. The Wiz did a MUCH better job closing the lane tonight.

Wall could have a big night tonight,

Correct! Ok, but guessing that John Wall will have a big night is not really a tough accomplishment.

I think AT will be slowed a bit by Battier.

Wrong. AT clearly has it going right now.

I think Yi will play as aggressively as he has all season.

Depending on his minutes, I'm expecting 6-10 rbs. I'm also expecting 2-10 from the field.

Right, right and again happily wrong. Great effort from Yi tonight. It makes me think of the scene from the end of "Bad Boys" where Will Smith tells Martin Lawrence "Now that's how you drive! From now on, that's how you drive!!" Yi, from now on, that's how you play!

I'm also thinking/hoping Booker will get around 10 minutes tonight.

Wrong. But given the way most of the guys were playing tonight, tough to complain.

This was the best defensive effort they have given. They started to get a little ragged in the 3rd, but they toughed out the 4th. Even without Brooks and Yao, Houston is still a tough team. Armstrong still looks a little lost and it was good to see him not return. AB, Yi, and McGee played hard, pretty smart and well. It was good to see. Wall obviously played great. AT played great again. Hinrich and Arenas both struggled. Both gave good effort on D, but struggled on O. But I did think it was good for Hinrich to be lifted for Gil in the meat of the 4th. KH clearly didn't have it going tonight. Not bringing McGee back late is a tough call, he and Yi were both playing well, but it worked out. And Flip actually let AB play his way through foul trouble. Probably because he didn't feel like he had much of a choice...and he's right.

Nice win. Hopefully they can keep that kind of effort going.

Posted by: ts35 | November 10, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Rumor Central:

Why not? He's got a lot of local investments including his movie theaters.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 10, 2010 9:13 PM

I don't know if you made this up, or you are really just passing on something that you really dug up or heard.

However, that would really be some interesting bit of news to envision for this franchise. Mr. Theodore Leonsis was the catalyst that brought Michael Jordan here.

If there is a scintilla of truth to what you just said, that would move this franchise years ahead of what Ernest Grunfield could ever accomplish.

Earvin Majic Johnson, the GM of this franchise would have BulletsFan78 and LarryInClintonMD in frontrow seats.

Holla!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 10, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

OK...I can't believe I am saying this, but Arenas actually played some good Defense tonight.

McGee looked great...definitely improving. He and haywood are now neck and neck as far as impact goes, with Mcgee getting better every game and haywood staying exactly where he was 3 years ago. Haywood would probably not start on this team right now.

Posted by: Blurred | November 10, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Flip has got to get Wall and Arenas clicking together. All this waisted time with Hinrich is only forestalling what could be one of the greatest backcourt tandems ever, EVER!!!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 10, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

McGee looked great...definitely improving.

My thoughts exactly, was great to see Gil focused on defense even if a bit slow or whatever. The effort was there however, nice to see with his shot rusty. Took care of the ball well too.

Javale was dominant and Flip could have easily gone back to him- maybe should have but it worked out either way. Yao was only in 6mins, but Mcgee went right at him. Scored, rebounded, was active. Was all over Brad Miller just like last season, hilarious someone was actually lobbying for the team to sign Miller for his "physicalness." Javale ate him up.

John Wall is so good!

Posted by: divi3 | November 10, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

it's only a matter of when Arenas is back to 75% of what he is and he'll be starting with Wall ... and Hinrich will be coming off the bench ... Hinrich usually plays better in the 2nd half of the season and is more effective off the bench ...

Posted by: BulletsForEva | November 11, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Andray Blatche - love the dude but if I am being honest,
he's a very solid backup.
--------

Except he wasn't a solid backup. Wildly inconsistent and blamed it on lack of minutes and kept saying that he needed to be given a chance.

Posted by: crs-one | November 11, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Nice that they got the win, and there were some good individual performances but, much like with the Philly game, a bit of perspective should be maintained.

The Rockets were 1-5 (0-4 on the road), played short-handed without their two best players, and the Wizards still managed to give up a double-digit lead at home and had to scrap, claw, and rally their way to a narrow victory. A good win (mostly because there's really no such thing as a bad win), but you might wanna ration the use of words like "dominant" and "greatest ever."

Just sayin'.

Apparently that message-sending practice walk out that all the usual suspects were ripping Saunders for had the desired effect, because they played with more effort than we've seen not just this year but in a couple of years. If they had more actual talent to go with it, they might actually go somewhere.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 11, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

"Even without Brooks and Yao, Houston is still a tough team." Posted by: ts35 | November 10, 2010 11:04 PM

Oh, stop. They aren't even a tough team with Yao and Brooks this season. The changes they've made to their roster (aside from Dumping McGrady, which was a no-brainer) have transformed them from a good defensive team with just enough offense into a team that tries to run up the score. As a result, they came in averaging 112 ppg. Too bad for them they give up 113. They were 1-5 for a reason.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 11, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

An interpretations only you have made!

He's good and will get better, but nobody is calling John Wall the greatest anything except you.

Quit whining about Hinrich. He's a solid player playing on a new team for the first time in his career. He plays solid fundamental basketball. So what if he has a few turnovers etc.... John Wall had 9 turnovers the other night. He will get better with more familiarity.

NY, you still stink. I hate seeing you saunter onto the court.

McGee starting over BH if he was still here is laughable. He is still a pogo stick bonehead. For every block, he gives up two layups and/or easy rebounds. He has got a long way to go to deserve serious starter minutes. Getting them on this team is a matter of lack of choices at this point. Personally, I like Yi, Blatche, Thornton as our starting front line.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 11, 2010 1:49 AM | Report abuse

This was the best Wizards win I've seen in a long time. Not for the execution or great bball, per se, but because this was the first game in recent memory I can recall the Wizards completely outworking their opponents.

And the Rockets were no slouches tonight in their effort, either.

The Wizards played like a team with a chip on their shoulder, like they had something to prove. I get the feeling Flip's strategy worked to perfection, if only for one game.

Now, the trick is to translate this into a daily attitude rather than a one-night effort.

Posted by: psps23 | November 11, 2010 2:13 AM | Report abuse

"A good win (mostly because there's really no such thing as a bad win), but you might wanna ration the use of words like "dominant" and "greatest ever."Just sayin'."

Posted by: Samson151 | November 11, 2010 5:33 AM | Report abuse

"You are disloyal. This game proves that the Wiz will win the NBA title this season or at the latest, next. Or if not, maybe 2014. Or maybe not then but not later than 2022..."

And if they don't, then it's Kirk Hinrich's fault...

Posted by: Samson151 | November 11, 2010 5:40 AM | Report abuse

Who are you talking about? Mcgee has played with the same effort all season. AB had 31/10/3asst/3stsl/4blks againts Houston last time they played. Do you mean Gil?

Posted by: divi3 | November 11, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Anybody wish we had taken someone else (like Evan Turner) as the #1??? HA HA

Posted by: fearturtle44 | November 11, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

And if they don't, then it's Kirk Hinrich's fault

Posted by: divi3 | November 11, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Andray Blatche - love the dude but if I am being honest,
he's a very solid backup.
--------

Posted by: crs-one | November 11, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

That's ridiculous. The guy is coming off a broken foot and is learly playing his way into shape. Last night he had 20/10 with 3 assists and more than held his own against Scola.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 11, 2010 1:49 AM | Report abuse

That's untrue, you clearly have not been watching the game. And if you took Haywood at this juncture, you would be in a small minority. This young guy is improving and playing hard, give him his due.

Posted by: NewManagement | November 11, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 11, 2010 1:06 AM

Apparently you believe what you want to believe. The home game against the Nuggets in February (Thornton's first game in a Wizards uniform) was more intense than last night's game and the effort was greater because the Wizards had less talent than they do now. Maybe you should watch some of the games instead of just looking at the box scores and running your mouth about effort in the last two years.

Posted by: ahwyatt | November 11, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

JM had a solid inside presence,he did not make too many mistakes, he realy need his mother to tell him not to focus on scoring,as 7'1'' his best life is defense.
AT is so focused i want him to continue to play on daily bases.KH did not play good last night but he is a veteran,he will correct his game, he should not force to take shoots, clearly he is not a starter.If Arenas found his legs he will be on the bench.AB was affected by the foot injury, he is focused, he will continue to have 18 point 8 rebound with a block, i want him to add few assists, he used to be one of the best ball passer last year,he had nearly 4 assist a game in the second half of last season.He is going to do his job when defense is going to concentrate on JW and Arenas.I did not like the facial expression of NY when he was in the game for the second time, he might have felt more minute last night than KH but he never get consistant.Flip is very slow in rotation,CM was better in defending Martin than KH,he should have given him more minutes in the early part of 4th quarter.One should not preset rotation specially when you have many young players in the team. The assistants need to help.I do not want to say much on Yi.JW is the star, i see him in all star if we win 18 games in the 1st half.

Posted by: gtefferra | November 11, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | November 11, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

I think he's talking about the TEAM. And I'd have to agree that was a great TEAM performance. Who cares about what AB or JM did INDIVIDUALLY.

The Nuggets game last season does come to mind though. I'd take this one over that one because of the lack of effort in practice this week. Great bounce back performance.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | November 11, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | November 11, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

"Thankfully Battier's 0pt/3reb "glue" performance wasn't enough to put Rockets over the top.Posted by: divi3"

You hit it right on the nail's butt, as usual. Without a solid 25 or 30 from Battier, the Rockets can't hope to win. How can they leave that guy on the court when clearly they need more scoring from the SF position? I bet Gilbert would be a good fit for Houston at the 3. See if you can arrange a swap, will ya?

Posted by: Samson151 | November 11, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards played like . . . they had something to prove. I get the feeling Flip's strategy worked to perfection, if only for one game.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: nmik | November 11, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

"Nice win last night, but to say there was more effort than we've seen in several years is pretty silly."

Yep. I noticed Hinrich stopped to tie his shoe during a timeout. We pay the guy $9 mil a year for that sort of lackadaisical effort? Pitiful.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 11, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"Agreed. They all hustled, and that was great to see. I'd stop short of anointing anyone a player for the ages at this point though Wall did put on quite a show.Posted by: nmik"

Hey, watch that mouth. They're all players for the ages, burdened with an inadequate coach. Except Hinrich, of course, that wastrel.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 11, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Without a solid 25 or 30 from Battier, the Rockets can't hope to win.

Perhaps if he could just ooze a little bit more glue? Maybe exude a few more intangibles and their fortunes will turn? Who needs points and rebounds when you've got "heady play" to rely on?

Posted by: divi3 | November 11, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Gil has to start. Now. He is not able to get into the flow of the game as a bench player and hopefully Flip recognizes that soon. I thought Javale played a really good game last night and I would have like to see more of him in the 4th quarter. Most of all Flip has to develop the Gil Wall combo now.

Posted by: lemekdivine | November 11, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Wastrel? Lol!

Posted by: ts35 | November 11, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Holla!

LarryInClintonMD.

You never know for sure, but imo, that ain't happenin. Magic could have been a GM / President with the Lakers (or probably any team but the Celtics) any time he wanted to. Plus, given his business interests and acumen, being a GM is a waste of his time and talents. Most people believe he has his eyes set higher, on ownership.

When he started divesting himself of some of his business interests recently, there was a lot of speculation about various ownership opportunities. The most intriguing one to me was the idea that he might be part of a group to buy out the Jacksonville Jaguars and move them to LA. LA as a football town has as checkered a history as DC as a baseball town. Putting Magic in the middle of it, though, probably gives LA football about as good of a chance as they'll get. Maybe Teddy wants to get into the NFL business....

Regardless of why he was here, it was just good to see DC as a place for some of the basketball elite to want to come to.

Posted by: ts35 | November 11, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

So true, and as much as comparing Wall to the all-timers after every good game irks me...that hype puts us back on the map. Gotta love that

Posted by: divi3 | November 11, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

My high point of the game came in the fourth period.
When a mike picked up part of a conversation Wall was having with Thornton.
I heard the 20 yr old rookie telling Al Thorton something to the effect "if we just play defensive like this we'll win. We know we can score."

In the post game interview, Wall reiterated what he said to Chris Miller.

That young man really understands what's needed to win and he's not intimidated by vets. Flip was correct in naming him a Captain.

Posted by: bozomoeman | November 11, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

My high point of the game came in the fourth period.
When a mike picked up part of a conversation Wall was having with Thornton.

In the post game interview, Wall reiterated what he said to Chris Miller.

Posted by: bozomoeman | November 11, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

"You never know for sure, but imo, that ain't happenin. Magic could have been a GM / President with the Lakers (or probably any team but the Celtics) any time he wanted to."

Posted by: ts35 | November 11, 2010 10:05 AM

I don't know about that. As much as I'm sure Jerry Buss loves the guy, he wasn't going to boot Jerry West for him back in the day. And the team's won 5 titles under Mitch Kupchak's regime, so I think his job security is pretty solid. If Magic did have any aspirations for hands on control of a team, the realization that the opportunity wasn't going to be there with the Lakers might have spurred him to move on. Also, not all great players make great executives, and Magic's disastrous stint as Lakers coach might have left a lingering bad impression that's taken a while to fade.

I do agree, however, that ownership is probably his more likely goal. There's been talk that he might hook up with Tigers/Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch to buy the Detroit Pistons, but that appears to have gone nowhere, as Ilitch's bid seems to be moving forward with Magic nowhere in sight.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 11, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | November 11, 2010 9:14 AM

Then I guess it's a good thing no one (other than you) said it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 11, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 10, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

He was never invited to stay. Damn, he waited as long as he could. And yes, he and THORNTON on the court at the same time would have added some moxie to our mid-court game.

But, he was limited in what he could provide. Too small to be a true PF, and too big for the #3 slot, limited mobility, but great grit and determination.

The WIZ just decided to get bigger along the front-line, and he was the odd-man out. Damned shame too, 'cause I really liked his style. Thought BOOKER was going to bring that to the court this season.

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 11, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

"Thought BOOKER was going to bring that to the court this season."

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 11, 2010 11:00 AM |

It's a long season and it's early. I fully expect Booker (and Seraphin) will get his shot.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 11, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Best played game of the season without a doubt. Team really played with heart, enthusiasm, hustle, great passing, gtreat defense, great teamwork. Just a wonderfully played game thru and thru. And Wall was spectacular. Only 1 TO. Amazing. Don't let down. We'll be there Friday night with bells on.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | November 11, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse