Trevor Booker hoping to play against cousin Jordan Hill of Houston

By Michael Lee

It'd be nice if I could fight for rebounds with Jordan tonight. (By Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post)

Trevor Booker said he knows that it probably won't be anything like those intense, one-on-one backyard battles, when he and his cousin, Jordan Hill, would go at each other for several hours "until we both got tired." But with the Houston Rockets in town today, the Wizards rookie is hoping for any opportunity to share the floor with Hill again.

"I haven't been against him since high school, in the summer time," Booker said about the Rockets' 6-foot-10 second-year forward. "So it's been a while."

Booker and Hill have a special relationship that developed largely because of Hill's personal tragedy. Hill lost his mother, Carol, to breast cancer when he was just 3. Hill was left under the custody of his father, a truck driver, which led to being bounced around six different caregivers. Booker's mother, Tracey, and Carol were the only girls of seven siblings. So while Hill traveled around South Carolina, Ohio and Georgia, the one solid thing he could depend on were his summers in rural Whitmire, S.C., with the Bookers.

Hill was only four months older than Booker, so they almost immediately connected over games of baseball, basketball and kickball. "They grew up like brothers," Tracey Booker said. "The distance came when they went to college and neither one of them could come home at the same time. It got to the point where they hardly ever saw each other but they kept in touch."

Booker always had a passion for basketball, but Hill didn't begin playing AAU basketball until the summer before his senior year in high school. He later earned a scholarship offer from Arizona before eventually beating Booker to the NBA as he went eighth overall to the New York Knicks in 2009.

Remember when I did this to you back in the day, Trevor? (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

"It's not weird," Booker said, when asked if it was strange to see Hill beat him to the NBA when Booker introduced him to the game. "He had a lot of potential, and he's 6-10. Finally, when he got into it, started playing AAU and it was like a calling."

Booker was unable to attend the draft to support Hill because he was in Serbia playing at the World University games. His mother, though, was there in New York with Hill. "I knew I had to stand in for her because that's my sister. So no, it wasn't a tough choice to make," Tracey Booker said. "We really didn't see that coming with him until probably his sophomore year at Arizona, because he didn't play high school ball. it was probably more a dream for Trevor than it was for his cousin. It all took us by surprise when Jordan went. We were just as proud of him as we are of Trevor."

Hill has already been through a lot, getting traded from New York to Houston at the deadline last season. But he is starting to come on for the Rockets, scoring a season-high 14 points with 6 rebounds as Houston won its first game of the season, 120-94, against Minnesota on Sunday. He's averaging 6.3 points and 4.8 rebounds in five games this season. "He's doing pretty good right now, so if I get to go against him, I'm sure my family would be proud," Booker said.

Booker has played sparingly for the Wizards, getting just five minutes in the past four games, including two DNP-Coach's Decisions, after scoring six points with two rebounds in 10 minutes in the season opener.

"I think I've adjusted pretty good," he said. "Just got to stay focused, keep working hard and hopefully work my way onto the court."

As for those backyard battles with Hill, Booker said he "definitely" had the upper hand in most of them. Booker said that they would have dunk contests in which they would go back-and-forth dunking on each other. When asked how he prevailed when he gave up three inches in height, Booker smiled and said, "I got bounce."

By Michael Lee  | November 10, 2010; 11:42 AM ET
Categories:  Trevor Booker
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saunders: Don't be fooled by Houston's 1-5 record
Next: Open thread: Wizards (1-4) vs. Rockets (1-5)

Comments

coulda snagged hill with the 5 last year. seems like a jumper, with no misgivings about being an offensive threat. more of a rugged defender rebounder type. I dunno how well he's played (2 teams in 2 yrs) but I' sure he's got something to prove to EG and his lil Cuz Book.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 10, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Yi has to get a ton of minutes since it's Asia night, so that leaves Armstrong as the odd man out if Flip is serious about other guys getting chances. Step it up Trevor!

Posted by: divi3 | November 10, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

tough matchup tonight on the frontcourt. Scola dominated the FIBA and is definitely in basketball shape and then some. Blatche is getting there. Yao has nice post moves and Brad Miller is too physical for McGee.

Scola will be a nice test for AB. Last time they played Blatche more than held his own but Scola is ballin and AB is still rounding into form. Good barometer.

Yao can only play 24mins I believe?

Mcgee crapped on Brad Miller last time they met, and I would say Miller is probably less physical a year later while Javale is moreso. Hopefully it's a good matchup for us again.

Posted by: divi3 | November 10, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Yi pays the VC bills, so he'll definitely play a lot tonight and Armstrong was the first to step up in support of Flip after his tantrum, so he gets the other minutes. Booker will ride the pine tonight.

Posted by: 2020doc | November 10, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Nice post, Mike.

Posted by: dominic10464 | November 10, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: juliagraffam | November 10, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

And this is the same guy about whom David Stern once said, "He GETS it." What's truly amazing to me is that he didn't miss time initially because of any quirkiness, but simply because of surgeries on the knee. Prior to that, no one in DC doubted his abilities.

Now, one criminal charge of having UNLOADED guns in the wrong place later, and all of a sudden he a notoriously bad fellow who is a cancer to be around. Where in the world did this come from???

I like David's quote in the Bible when God gives him three choices after he messed up particular bad, two of which was three months at the hands of men, or three days at the hand of God. David chose three days at the hand of God, "for you are merciful," but with the plea "please don't leave me in the hands of men." He obviously knew what he was talking about.

Be strong, Gil. You're going to be just fine (and so will the team).

Posted by: bpybay | November 10, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Well, if Gil isn't playing (gametime decision), then Booker might get some playing time.

Posted by: nmik | November 10, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

So Gil is a game-time decision then? I read it on Bullets Forever, but was kinda surprised that I didn't see any mention of that here.

Posted by: AhhYes | November 10, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"There is no doubt in my mind that all of the "dump Gilbert" posters don't care about Gil's pranks, his mistakes, or his talent. It's all about the money. They seem to be insanely jealous (or something) that he was given a huge contract. There seems to be a constant complaint that the WAPO writers refer back to things that happened in the past. Well, Gil's contract is old news and isn't going to change so get over it already. I won't judge Gil over his mistakes since no one is perfect. But, I do remember the basketball star who was at Walmart the day after Katrina buying thousands of dollars worth of supplies to send to people who desperately needed them. I also remember the guy who did all he could for a young boy who lost his family in a fire at Christmas. People have a very convenient memory and it seems their most convenient memory is always negative."

Posted by: juliagraffam | November 10, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

My memory's not what it used to be, but one thing I do remember is that is is a basketball forum, not a Red Cross forum.

Arenas may well be a nice, charitable, personable guy in real life. But here's the thing: So what? Who cares? What does that have to do with whether it's in the best interests of the Wizards (or Arenas himself, for that matter) from a basketball perspective (to say nothing of a business perspective) for him to be playing somewhere else?

Rhetorical question, of course. The obvious answer is: Not a damned thing.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 10, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Why is Hilton Armstrong in the NBA????

Posted by: aney15 | November 10, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Why is Hilton Armstrong in the NBA????

Posted by: aney15 | November 10, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Because he's a WIZZIE and wets himself on the court. LOL

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 10, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

so kalo-rama, larry, divi3, ts35, and the other regulars......question? Will the WIZZIES wet themselves tonight, or do a little growing toward man-hood?

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 10, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

About Yi -- I'm wondering, could he play some SG? Years ago I thought Jeffries created problems for a lot of teams when he played SG.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | November 10, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Jeffries created problems for SGs defensively (something that Yi had no hope of doing). He was a complete nonentity on offense.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 10, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

To clarify:

Jeffries created problems for SGs with his defensive (something that Yi has no hope of doing). He was a complete nonentity on offense.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 10, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007

Imo, the Wiz will end up playing much like they did against Atlanta. They'll be more or less in it throughout, but in the end, Houston will just have a bit too much for them. Brooks being out will help, but I have a feeling they'll still struggle with Lowry and K-Mart.

Wall could have a big night tonight, I think AT will be slowed a bit by Battier. I think Yi will play as aggressively as he has all season. Depending on his minutes, I'm expecting 6-10 rbs. I'm also expecting 2-10 from the field. I'm also thinking/hoping Booker will get around 10 minutes tonight.

Posted by: ts35 | November 10, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007

The Wiz win a stunner with Arenas turning back the clock!

Posted by: 2020doc | November 10, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

And in another crushing blow to EG, Jermaine Taylor will come off the bench to score 20.

Posted by: ts35 | November 10, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Nick drops 40 in front of chinese scouts, leading to a $60mill deal reuniting him with James Singleton in Xiinghieie next season

Posted by: divi3 | November 10, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse