Posted at 12:36 PM ET, 12/18/2010

Gilbert Arenas trade update; Magic GM Otis Smith: "Nothing is imminent"

By Michael Lee

Don't look at me like that. (Photo by Toni L. Sandys/Washington Post)

As Gilbert Arenas got prepared to walk through the doors of the practice court before the Wizards' shootaround, I asked him if he had anything he'd like to say.

"You know I don't talk on game days," Arenas said, then walked inside.

But when the Wizards face the Miami Heat on Saturday, the question remains: How much longer he will be representing Washington? As I reported yesterday and got confirmed by two more league sources this morning, the Wizards are engaged in serious discussions with the Orlando Magic about a deal involving Arenas. He is expected to be in a Wizards uniform, for possibly the final time, when the team hosts LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh ... and President Barack Obama, who is expected to attend his second Wizards game since moving into the Oval Office. President Barack Obama was expected to attend his second Wizards game this evening, but Wizards owner Ted Leonsis wrote on his blog, "One of the main dignitaries scheduled to attend has been forced to cancel. He will reschedule." Leonsis did not name names.

Magic general manager Otis Smith told reporters in Orlando this morning that he has spoken with the Wizards about Arenas and said the talks are an "eight out of 10" in terms of aggressiveness. He also said "nothing is imminent," which is something that I was told earlier today by another source.

After the Wizards lost to New Jersey on Thursday, Arenas said, "I feel like I'm the odd man out here. Just cause I'm older. When you look and see a team, 19 [years old], 20, 20, 20, 20. And you look at yourself, about hit 29. You look at the long picture and you're not part of this."

Smith is close with Arenas and he told the Orlando Sentinel in private conversations that the three-time all-star is a "sleeping giant." Ken Berger of CBSSports is reporting that the Magic is also trying to involve Phoenix to have a reunion with Suns forward Hedo Turkoglu, who helped Orlando reach the NBA Finals in 2009.

Wizards owner Ted Leonsis shot down a trade rumor involving Arenas two weeks ago and said last month that Arenas is not "going anywhere." So what's changed? I was told that the Magic reached out to the Wizards this week and since then, the talks have intensified. The organization is starting to understand Arenas's frustrations playing with a rebuilding team and both sides have sought some separation since last season, when Arenas was suspended for the final 50 games after bringing guns into the locker room at Verizon Center last Dec. 21.

A source with knowledge of the discussions told me today that the Wizards do not want to include any players on their roster other than Arenas in this deal. That doesn't mean that those plans cannot change, just that the intent is to move Arenas. The Magic is also somewhat apprehensive about taking back Arenas's salary, which has $62.4 million and three years remaining after this one, according to another person with knowledge of the conversations.

"The length of his contract and health probably have been more of my concerns," Smith told reporters in Orlando. "With the length of his contract, you're always concerned about taking on more, of course. That's always been one of my concerns. I know a little bit more detail about Gilbert off the court and who he is as a person. He's probably similar to the guys we have in the locker room right now. I would say that sometimes good people make dumb decisions, and he's one of those guys."

The pieces that the Magic would move remain unclear, but Rashard Lewis, Vince Carter and Marcin Gortat are the names that have been floated around. Lewis has two years and nearly $43 million left on his contract after this season, while Carter has an expiring deal that matches up with Arenas's contract.

The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that the Magic is looking to make a change to shake up a team that has lost five of its past six games, but noted it would prefer to acquire Carmelo Anthony from the Denver Nuggets. Two weeks ago, a league source said that the Magic is also interested in Chris Paul.

Before the morning shootaround, Nick Young said he doesn't expect the rumors to be a distraction. "Rumors is rumors. You never know. I've been around, I've seen Caron [Butler] and everybody go through it. Players get traded. It's a business, but whatever happens, hopefully, you stay focused for the next game."

The Wizards are expected to welcome Josh Howard for the first time this season, but Coach Flip Saunders said that Andray Blatche is "probable" and John Wall is out.

By Michael Lee  | December 18, 2010; 12:36 PM ET
Categories:  Gilbert Arenas
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards, Magic discussing trade; Arenas expected to play for Washington tonight
Next: Wizards deal Gilbert Arenas for Rashard Lewis

Comments

Ernest Grunfeld will not bid against himself. Therefore, Arenas will be traded on HIS terms, not Orlando's. Period. Otis Smith will rue the day he decided to dance with one Ernest Grunfeld.

Posted by: melodious_thunk | December 18, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Off topic: Mike Lee, you ROCK! Your coverage of the Wizards is first class. Keep up the great work!

Posted by: MEssex | December 18, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

You see Smith say that Gil is a sleeping giant? That line sounds more like he knows something. Like Gil has told him that he's going to hold back and then play way harder when he gets to Orlando. He doesnt want to risk any injuries. He's just crusing right now and thats why he's playing so passive.

The only good thing is that Gil knows now that its not a sure thing and they prefer other guys so that could make him flip the switch and start trying to go off to show Orlando that he still has it. I wouldnt be shocked if we saw a different Gil tonight

Posted by: dlts2041 | December 18, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Arenas traded to the Bobcats for Sean Livingstone and a draft pick. Then he can reawaken his sleeping giantness in that dump.

Posted by: KTV1 | December 18, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

LOL! "Grunfeld will never bid against himself" just like he did when re-signed Stevenson.

Posted by: FireGrunfeld | December 18, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Chris Broussard just said that there is a 90% chance that within 24hrs Orlando will send VC & Gortat to Phx for Turk & Richardson while then sending Lewis to us for Gil

Posted by: dlts2041 | December 18, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

"Rumors is rumors" stated by Nick Young. Just hand me the bread I ain't needin an education.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | December 18, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlts2041 | December 18, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

lol no more gil..wall is still hurt..i guess the coming off the bench on a really bad team was a signed they didnt want gil..so im glad he was cruising which was still better then the rest of the team playing hard..i bet john wall sets another month on and off...wiz have BAD doc..its been proving every year..TED UR A LIAR IM GLAD THIS TEAM SUCKS..u should have made gil the main scorer not andray..and should have made gil a captain..he did give us great years here..TO MAKE THE KID COME OFF THE BENCH BEHIDE KIRK..and starting GEE..was a slap in the face to everyone who cheers for him..now were gonna cheer for the magics..

Posted by: MrNoOne | December 18, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Lewis for Arenas straight up? That gets them nowhere. It's a step back and a step up.

Talk about treading water.

Actually, it's a small minus to me.

Yeah, I contradicted myself twice in one post.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 18, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

One thing I would hate to see is the Gil trade meaning that Kirk is our starting SG. He should still be a backup with NY as the new starting 2. or you could have Howard start at the 2 with Lewis at the 3. or if Flip hates McGee so much then we can go smaller with NY at the 2, Howard at the 3, Lewis at the 4, and Dray at the 5, and just run all day like the Suns use to.

BTW, I definitely dont like trading Gil for Lewis as I think its horribly dumb but I also think Shard has alot more in the tank then people think. He was just never a fit in Orlando. Then again, he probably wont be great either. It will probably be like Caron is to Dallas. Shard will be better then he looked in Orlando but not the same guy who got the max eitehr

Posted by: dlts2041 | December 18, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

If the Magic are trading Carter and Gortat for Hedo and JRich, I don't even see why they'd still be interested in Arenas. And for the Wiz, swapping Arenas for Lewis is just trading one headache for a slightly less expensive headache.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 18, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlts2041 | December 18, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

@dlts

C Broussard is wrong. Ernie told DC_MAN88 that he didn't want Shard Lewis as part of the deal. Don't believe me ask Sampson151, he heard it from LarryInClinton. Only way that deal comes off (unless 3rd team is added) is VC for Gil straight up, then look for Wiz to give up some of those draft picks for "cash considerations" because once Gil is gone, crowd at VC with deminish greatly!

Posted by: zack9633 | December 18, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

The New Full Deal By Broussard

Full deal: Phx sends Hedo/J Rich/Earl Clark to Orlando for Vince/Gortat/Pietrus, 2011 first round pick and cash considerations, sources say

Wiz deal w/Orlando is close and will be Rashard Lewis for Gilbert Arenas straight up, sources say ... no big to ORL

Posted by: dlts2041 | December 18, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it doesn't work out.

Unless Arenas is headed to Phoenix? If Richardson leaves, Phoenix will need to replace him.

Lewis comes to Wizards and Phoenix sends Gortat as well? Gortat doesn't fit in in Phoenix anyway.

Nash and Arenas together?

Posted by: SteveMG | December 18, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Orlando will send VC & Gortat to Phx for Turk & Richardson while then sending Lewis to us for Gil ... and a big to replace Gortat. My guess is probably Hilton Armstrong or someone. No way we take Shard back and also give them McGee, Blatche, Booker, or Seraphin.
Posted by: dlts2041

----

kinda surprised phoenix would give up richardson but sure looks like orlando's gotten desperate to score more. guess they'll need to cause they're sure not gonna have much of a defense with the three scorers they're supposedly getting.

hope springs eternal and all that, but I doubt the magic will beat the heat or celtics with these moves.

it'll be interesting to see what the wiz package with arenas.

Posted by: MinuMang | December 18, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

dlts

I disagree!

S'hard may be a good fit as a spot up shooter with Wall kicking out as the lane colapses on him going to the basket. Wall will not, WILL NOT, WILL NOT be able to penetrate the lane for easy baskets in the NBA like he did at Kentucky, He's gonna continue to get killed everytime. This is not NCAA and the sooner he realizes it, he will learn how to play at 2 speeds to save his body and add years to his career.

Posted by: zack9633 | December 18, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlts2041

just curious, but when did he look like a guy who deserved the max?

Posted by: MinuMang | December 18, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Can't find that "full deal" anywhere! Where?

Posted by: zack9633 | December 18, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Phoenix/Orlando deal:

Who will replace Richardson for Phoenix?

Posted by: SteveMG | December 18, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"swapping Arenas for Lewis is just trading one headache for a slightly less expensive headache."

And I don't see why we would want another soft PF who cannot rebound? Lewis averaged only 4.2 rebounds a game, at least Blatche has averaged 7.7!

Here is Lewis stats this season:
41.9% FG, 36.7% 3P, 4.2 rebounds, 1.2 assists, and 12.2 points in 32 minutes.

Arenas stats:
39.4% FG, 32.4% 3P, 3.3 rebounds, 5.6 assists, and 17.3 pts in 34 minutes.

Lewis is only shooting a little better than Arenas, but he is playing with Howard, who draws defender inside and allows Lewis open shots. OTOH, Arenas is doing a lot better in assists, and grabbed only slightly less rebounds than Lewis from a guard's position!

I would not mind a Carter-Arenas trade, but looks like Carter is going to PHX (along with Gortat) from reports.

The only reason I can think of Ernie approves Arenas-Lewis trade is that he is ready to leave the Wizards, and tries to stick it to the team!

Posted by: sagaliba | December 18, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

----
was kinda hoping we'd pick up a sg in the trade. kirk doesn't enjoy playing the position and does better at the point.

flip is probably a bit leery of pairing nick and wall as starters (I probably would be too) until wall picks up a bit more experience.

Posted by: MinuMang | December 18, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Orlando has been mocking us since the first game. They think we're dumb enough to trade anybody on our roster and our future draft picks for their aging stars with fat expiring contracts. They have another think coming.

Posted by: RedCherokee | December 18, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

When I first heard about this I was so worried that we were trading Gil for Vince, which would have been devastating to me. Much happier to see we are getting Rashard. Also a bit disappointed that we are not getting Gortat to replace Hilton Armstrong, but the Rashard move is OK. The thing that worries me is while we lose Gil's 4 yrs n $60 mil but we take on Rashard's 3 yr $66 mil. I think Rashard has excellent skills and I pick him for my fantasy team almost every year. As such I have been watching him closely this year, and he is having his worst year in a long time. I feel like the Magic are not involving him in the offense enough though, and that could change here. Still its a lot of money for a guy having his worst year as a pro, but his potential is through the roof when he is playing his best. When he came out of high school and I saw the way he could shoot the three and his mostrous monster jams, I thought he would dominate the NBA. It turned out he is inconsistent and not quite a superstar, but either way its only three years of underachievement instead of four from Gil. Maybe in his last year he will play hard and Wall and him can start dominating teams together, we'll see. Honestly I'd rather keep Gil and he's still my favorite player despite how crazy he's been this past year, but I understand why he needs to change teams for his own good and ours. I am not going to be able to help rooting for the Magic to win it this season now. The best Magic is made by Wizards. Fact. Of course this all could turn out to be false rumors, but this deal seems to make sense for all teams, I just hope we somehow can sneak Gortat into the deal.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | December 18, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@FireGrunfeld,

With a screen name like yours, I'm not sure any amount logic will seep through your apparently thicker than average skull, but here goes: Starting shooting guards on average earn much more than what DeShawn Stevenson is being paid. Therefore, signing Stevenson to that contract was yet another bold, yet solid move by the master of his craft, Ernest Grunfeld.

Think sensibly, man!

Posted by: melodious_thunk | December 18, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

This is interesting.... This is a lot of $$$ but, we have to do something. I hope Lewis plays better D than I have seen in Orl..

Posted by: jtrob_1 | December 18, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Looks like it's a done deal, Straight up for Lewis. Too bad we couldn't get a pick but at least Zero is movin on. It was time.
Good luck to ya. We knew ya too well.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | December 18, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

posted by: bosshog7169

----
according to wojnarowski, the "Wizards' pursuit of Arenas escalated in recent days." sure.

Posted by: MinuMang | December 18, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

----

Posted by: MinuMang | December 18, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I think Hinrich should start but then get pulled after like 4 mins and Nick should play as many minutes as him. We have too many similar small forwards now. Thornton, Howard, and Lewis all have the potential to be superstars and sometimes show that they can dominate, but all are boneheads and can't get it to come together.I guess we start Rashard over Howard at first, and try to move Thornton to replacing Blatche more? Or we could play Rashard at PF, but he doesn't do as well with that. My guess is we will use one or two of these guys to gain a couple more draft picks. We may get the number one pick as well again. I find solace in remembering how bad OKC was their first year with Durant, and how now they are a top contender just by being so bad for a couple years and getting all the good young players. We can be really good in a couple years.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | December 18, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"Lewis is making 3 millions more than Arenas, so how can that be a "less expensive headache?" Shorter maybe, but not by much (3 yrs vs. 4 yrs)."

Posted by: sagaliba | December 18, 2010 2:53 PM

Arenas is owed $80 mil over the next 4 years. Lewis is owed $66.5 mil over the next three years. By definition, that means Lewis's contract is $13.5 mil dollars less expensive than Arenas.

I know, I know . . . math is so hard.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 18, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, the Magic also seem intent on acquiring guard Gilbert Arenas from the Washington Wizards, possibly for forward Rashard Lewis.

While everyone is trying to place S'hard with the Wiz. Otis Smith hasn't dropped any names. Orlando Sentinel quote above is pure speculation!

Posted by: zack9633 | December 18, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Mr. NoOne I agree wih you. Wherever Gil goes, that is who I am going to cheer for. This place is not loyal to any player on any of the teams here and will turn on you with the quickness. Look at how some are already questioning Wall. I pray Gil gets the heck out town and wish him much success. I was fooled into buying a package of tickets by Leonsis saying tht Gil was going to be here and now he is going to trade him. So much for honesy from a owner. He duped us. My bad.

Posted by: ivyleague | December 18, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

@Kalo

Posted by: zack9633 | December 18, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Rashard for Gil straight up? That's disgusting.

Posted by: divi3 | December 18, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Rashard's two skills, dunking and shooting 3's:

The more I consider this trade the more I am excited for both Gil and the new look Wizards. I think Lewis can play better being more of a focal point here. Jameer hogs the ball from him, and it serves him right that now Gil will be hogging the ball from Jameer.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | December 18, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

"@Kalo

I think you're wrong! They don't match up because Gils contract is back loaded. After this season, Lewis' deal is much higher than Gil's"

Posted by: zack9633 | December 18, 2010 3:30 PM

I can't be wrong about something I never said, and I never said anything about their contracts "matching up." Arenas has 4 more years on his deal for a total of about $80 mill. Lewis has 3 more years on his deal for a total of about $66.5 mill. That's a fact. I have no idea what nonsense you're talking about (and, I suspect, neither do you.)

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 18, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

trade done according to evin and rock on 106.7 the fan...mike lee step it up bro!!!

Posted by: mrhney03 | December 18, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused. We're a rebuilding team, and we get nothing out of this deal except for a bundle of cash that we don't plan on using, because we're building through the draft? Can we have Gortat please? Here, we'll give you a "solid" veteran "basketball player" who has lots of "skills" to show off. His name is Hilton Armstrong, and he's a good dude.

Posted by: LunchOfAlbert | December 18, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

@Kalo

True that! Gil has an additional year on his contract. Okay you're not wrong!

Posted by: zack9633 | December 18, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

If we do get Lewis (shudder) then you can expect to see Blatche on an even shorter leash.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 18, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

" Okay you're not wrong!"

Posted by: zack9633 | December 18, 2010 3:39 PM

About you having no idea what you were talking about? Duh! Tell me something I didn't already know.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 18, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

This is how the salaries compare!

Gil
2010-11 2011-12 2012-13 2013-14
$17.7MIL $19.2MIL $20.8MIL $22.3MIL

S'Hard
$19.5MIL $21.1MIL $$22.7MIL N/A

Vince
$17.5MIL $18.3 MIL N/A N/A

Posted by: zack9633 | December 18, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@kalo

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 18, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I gave you your props! Don't act like I can't pull up some of your off the wall Shizz bro!

Posted by: zack9633 | December 18, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Orlando Sentinel reporting that the deal is DONE! Come on Mike Lee, I wanted to give you a little slack for the time line but I'm already reading the story in Orlando bro!

Posted by: zack9633 | December 18, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised the Wiz aren't getting a draft pick -- at the least even a second round draft pick.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | December 18, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: zack9633 | December 18, 2010 4:05 PM"

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 18, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: zack9633 | December 18, 2010 4:05 PM"

So are you naturally such a pointlessly annoying idiot? Or did you take a course? Oh, and BTW, putting unnecessary exclamation points at the end of every sentence doesn't actually make anything you say any less stupid. Quite the opposite, actually.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 18, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse