Posted at 7:57 PM ET, 12/24/2010

Healthy Josh Howard rises to Wizards' defense

By Michael Lee

Ten months to the day that he caught an outlet pass in the lane, pushed off his left leg to attempt a layup, grimaced and dropped gawkily to the floor, Josh Howard was back on the same court, facing the same team.

But Howard said that at no point Wednesday did he reflect on that ill-fated night against the Chicago Bulls on Feb. 22, when he suffered a torn left anterior cruciate ligament and had to watch the Washington Wizards founder as he was forced into a lengthy rehabilitation. "It wasn't a thought," Howard said. "Just thinking about a win."

Howard didn't get a win, as the Wizards lost, 87-80, at Verizon Center. But the former all-star forward showed once again that the Wizards are a much more competitive and competent team, especially on the defensive end, with him on the floor. The Wizards (7-20) are just 1-2 since Howard made his debut, but those two losses have come against Miami and Chicago - two of the top three teams in the Eastern Conference - and they were in position to win both games.

Since Howard joined the Wizards in a trade deadline deal with Dallas last February, they are 4-3 with him and a whopping 12-40 without him. The Wizards have lost those three games by a combined 13 points.

"It's a good stat for my confidence," Howard said with a smile and shrug. "If I can find a way to rub off on my team, I will. I'm going to continue to play the way I've been playing, lead by example."

Howard has been used as a reserve in his first three games, contributing 10.7 points and 2.7 rebounds in 22.3 minutes.

"Eventually, I would like to start, but if that's not in the plans, I'm going to keep doing the things I can do," said Howard, who signed a one-year, incentive-laden contract last summer that could be worth close to $4 million. "Right now, it's me getting healthy first and helping my team second. Either way, it's just being out there for my team. The minutes that I'm getting and I'm giving the team is right. If I'm able to give my team more minutes, hopefully the points will come up."

Howard said he is still regaining the confidence to finish at the basket as he once did, but he remains aggressive on the defensive end. In Howard's three games, the Wizards are playing better overall defense, holding Miami, Charlotte and Chicago to an average of 85.3 points and 43.4 percent shooting (90 for 207) while forcing 22.3 turnovers. On the year, the Wizards are giving up 103.6 points, 47.4 percent shooting and forcing just 16.9 turnovers.

"There is no coincidence that our defense has gotten better with the addition of Josh Howard. Josh has added so much defensively, in the things that he can do," Coach Flip Saunders said. "Even though he is only playing 20 minutes, his leadership and just his ability to lock down defensively on people and know that guy is not going to go at us that much is huge for us."
Howard has recorded one steal in each game. He helped harass Chicago's Luol Deng into a poor shooting night but also made a subtle difference, such as when he jumped out for a surprise double-team on Carlos Boozer forcing him to miss a rare jumper.

"I've always had a good feeling about playing defense," said Howard, who missed the playoffs for the first time in his career last season. He said he is trying to bring "a winning attitude, number one, and also letting those guys know you can make mistakes just as long as you can come back and correct those mistakes. I think we're picking up on that. It's a learning process."

After finally finishing a game against the Bulls while wearing a Wizards uniform, Howard was able to smile about surviving, and how far he has come.

"Thank you, Jesus. It didn't happen to the other leg," Howard said. "You just keep chucking away. Injuries happen. Unfortunately, that was my first time having a major injury throughout my whole career. To be able to say that is a big thing and to be able to come back is even better."

By Michael Lee  | December 24, 2010; 7:57 PM ET
Categories:  Josh Howard
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New player, same old result
Next: Andray Blatche, JaVale McGee reportedly get into altercation

Comments

I would start Howard. I like the D of a Wall/Howard backcourt with the size/length of Lewis, Blatche, McGee frontcourt.

I'd go 2nd unit of Hinrich, Young, Thornton, Booker, Yi. Bring in Seraphin/Armstrong as designated bangers to lay some fouls as needed.

With the big 3 gone this could become a very good group defensively.

Posted by: Darnell1 | December 24, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

With the big 3 gone this could become a very good group defensively.

Posted by: Darnell1 | December 24, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Howard should start, but it should be at the 3. RL and AT should come off the bench.

There is no point in starting AT at the 3. He isn't a keeper so we might as well put the best man on the floor at that position.

Posted by: MeviousMan | December 24, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

"123 Get Samples" is promoting a new line of detergent, tooth paste, lotion etc by giving away free samples. It’s more of the “try it before buy it” marketing model and who can resist a free useful household product like detergent? This free sample is limited to one per household and only available while supplies last.

Posted by: karenduffy25 | December 24, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: karenduffy25 | December 24, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------
Maybe Michael Lee needs a raise so he won't have to sell household products under the name 'karenduffy'.

Posted by: randysbailin | December 25, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Wall, Howard, Lewis, Blatch and McGee are at minimum a playoff team. How far beyond the first round depends on how the bigs play.

Posted by: Theone9 | December 25, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Josh Howard in his prime [04-05 through 07-08] was an excellent small forward. It's been a 10 months since he tore his ACL. Nick Young is shooting lights out right now. The Wizards need Nick's scoring.

Josh is 30 years old. It's best to gradually bring him back into the flow of the game. Also, Josh's rebounding skills are better utilized at the three. No need to pace greater risk of re-injury to the knee by starting him at shooting guard.

Here's the starting lineup that works:
Wall - PG
Young - SG
Howard - SF
Blatche - PF
McGee - C

And here are our reserves:
Hinrich - PG
Hudson - SG
Thornton - SF
Booker or Yi - PF
Seraphin - C

Posted by: musicmanjr | December 25, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

It's already apparent that Howard hustles and plays D...can't wait until the team gets healthy to really EXPOSE the lack of defense played with any kind of consistency by the others..do you hear me Blatche, McGee and others????

We have seen the deficiencies before Howard now they will really be glaring....

Posted by: pentagon40 | December 25, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse