Posted at 8:04 AM ET, 12/15/2010

Short-handed Wizards increasingly frustrated

By Michael Lee
Morning brew

The Wizards have lost five in a row and nine of their past 10 games overall, and now they are resigned to simply accepting the moral victories. Injuries have kept the Wizards from getting a clear picture of what they have and what they could possibly become, which is becoming increasingly frustrating.

"I haven't been a part of nothing like this," forward Al Thornton said after the Wizards utilized their 10th different starting lineup through the first 23 games against the two-time defending champion Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday.

But the experience wasn't new for Gilbert Arenas, who has watched the Wizards struggle through some difficult campaigns with key pieces missing action. No. 1 overall pick John Wall missed his eight game, Andray Blatche his third game, and Yi Jianlian was knocked out with the same knee injury that sidelined him for nine games and could keep him out for some time. When asked if he ever wondered when the Wizards would get healthy, Arenas said, "I thought about that three years ago. We've been hit by this injury bug, the last couple of years, but we got to keep fighting and pulling for each other. All they can do is get healthy and join the rest of the team. Every year it's something new."

Coach Flip Saunders said that despite being shorthanded against Lakers, he was pleased with how his team refused to be an easy out. "You can't worry about things that you have no control over. At no point did I think our guys didn't play hard and compete tonight. I think that's something that we've got to build on. I told the team afterward, [the Lakers] played how you want to play as a team. They share the ball tremendously; they are very unselfish in how they play; they have a killer instinct; and they do the dirty work inside."

And, unlike the Wizards, they win.

FROM THE POST
The game story from today's newspaper and the postgame wrap-up.

The Lakers drew celebrities to Verizon Center.

Kobe Bryant has some footwear advice for John Wall.

Former Terp Steve Blake is fitting in with the Lakers.

AROUND THE WEB
The Denver Nuggets are denying a rumor that the team has agreed to a trade that would send Carmelo Anthony to the New Jersey Nets, after a Denver TV station tweeted that the teams had "come to terms."

A simple reward system has contributed to the Heat's recent success (Miami Herald).

Dwight Howard says he is retired for life from the All-Star Weekend dunk contest (Fanhouse).

By Michael Lee  | December 15, 2010; 8:04 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Injuries take toll as Wizards struggle to find answers offensively
Next: Yi Jianlian to miss next two to four weeks with sprained MCL

Comments

Posted by: MeviousMan | December 15, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

So what is the prognosis for a 20 year old with chronic tendenitis in his knees??

"They" said Rafa Nadal's career was over at age 22...sure doesnt look that way now.

Posted by: divi3 | December 15, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

After 7 years under the inept management of Ernie Grunfeld, Ted Leonsis took over ownership and changed absolutely nothing. The same frightening medical staff remains in-place, along with Ed Tapscott, The Unseld's, and most of the assistants. The culture and mentality of this organization is never going to change until long overdue house -cleaning has taken place.

Posted by: FireGrunfeld | December 15, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Everyone relax. The last time the Wizards had a point guard with knee trouble, everything turned out fine.

Posted by: bryc3 | December 15, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Wall will be fine...his body is not used to playing night in and night out. He'll adjust like everybody else in the league.

On another note, do the referees ever call 3 seconds on the Lakers?

Posted by: carterm1 | December 15, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Artest and Odom are doing McGee a favor by stinging him a little in the media. Some of it's just woofing but the message is clear: Youngblood is falling for some old tricks.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 15, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"On another note, do the referees ever call 3 seconds on the Lakers?Posted by: carterm1"

Posted by: Samson151 | December 15, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

"The culture and mentality of this organization is never going to change until long overdue house -cleaning has taken place.
Posted by: FireGrunfeld"

You leave first?

Posted by: Samson151 | December 15, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: elfreako | December 15, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Ron Artest is a quotable machine like Shaq. "I don't think he watches video he plays video games. He has atari and needs a playstation" This is gonna be the focal point of jokes in the locker room.

Posted by: jefferu | December 15, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Flip actully gave the team a compliment?

Coach Flip Saunders said ...he was pleased with how his team refused to be an easy out.

Ohh wait...

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 15, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: elfreako | December 15, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave381 | December 15, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Flip actully gave the team a compliment?

Ohh wait...

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 15, 2010 10:10 AM

As I read the above as well, I noticed the same. A comment by Flip on the Teams play. But then, I kept reading and then I go, wtf.

It is almost like the tongue in cheek comment from Odom and Artest about McGee.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 15, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"You need to get your eyes checked if you watched that game and thought that Hinrich was a 'strong link.'"

- Even with Wall healthy, KH is our second best point guard and by far our best perimeter defender. Not sure what your beef is with a solid NBA veteran guard on the team unless you miss Doug Overton and Javaris Crittenton that much. He is also a solid role model for Wall as Rose has already praised KH for how much he helped him. Done with that straw argument.

"Not even kal would prefer Yi on the team next season over Mcgee."

- Says who? Says you? I would like to live in your world of fantasy and knowing the thoughts of others and presenting pure speculation as facts when there are indeed such things as true facts and points to be made. You just never make them.

"Who gives a rat's azz about the world's? We are talking nba."

Apparently you, when the idea of your boy JM staying at home watching his soon-to-be teammate Yi flourish belies your insistence that JM is a better player than Yi now and for the future. I don't know about the future (neither do you), but Yi is right now in most aspects of the game a better player than JM - Fact. I would not be surprised if they both are borderline players the rest of their careers and that could be their more likely outcome.

"Not ready for added responsibilities? If we you are going to lose, lose with the players you are trying to develop and want to gain experience. This team have no future with stop overs like Armstrong and Hinrich so why are they taking away minutes from the young players. There is no more juice to squeeze from Hinrich and Armstrong."

As Kal pointed out, KH is deterring nobody from getting minutes and HA is getting spot minutes at best. I too want to see Seraphin and Booker get their time, and, for the most part, they are. Seraphin, remember, couldn't even understand that much English in training camp so his progress will be slower (nursing previous knee injury as well). TB has already shown me the tenacity and maturity for which he was drafted along with much better athleticism than I expected. I think he'll be a keeper and continue to work his way into the lineup.

The next argument will be that Flip Saunder's screwed up some young player's confidence bc he played him too much too soon. I think he already destroyed JM's confidence according to someone....so funny.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 15, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

LOL nope. I think they once called 6 seconds on Kobe and he threatened to complain to David Stern. Posted by: Samson151

LOL...I know right!

Posted by: carterm1 | December 15, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

^^^
Is there a point being made here?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 15, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

On another note, do the referees ever call 3 seconds on the Lakers?

Posted by: carterm1 | December 15, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse
seemed reluctant to call much of anything against the lakers

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 15, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"How much better could/would JaVale be if Kareem Abdul-Jabbar were his big man coach? In McGee's first 2+ seasons he's worked with Tony Masenburg and Gene Banks.

Unfortunately, he may have reached a ceiling working under those two. How about reaching out to Artis Gilmore or Ralph Sampson? Any true 7-footer who can show him new tricks and nuances to success. Ewing and Olajuwon have really made a difference for Dwight Howard."

You can't make this stuff up. It's too good. I guess only tall people can teach basketball fundamentals and post moves to other tall people. I mean Larry Brown has no business coaching up anybody taller than he is. Why is Kobe Bryant reaching out to Olujawon in order to improve? A guard can't learn anything from a center!

Perhaps, JM, if he actually cared that much, could get some coaching himself from some of the greats if he reached out to them. And, somehow, you know that certain tall ex-players are in fact great big man coaches now and have not been asked to be a coach for the Wizards?

Man, stop the insanity...actually don't. I got a kick out of this one.

By the way, Dwight Howard still has a very limited offensive game. He has always been a great defensive player and strong presence in the middle, but he may never be a great offensive player - no matter who coaches him.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 15, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD

I use to think a coach's job was to either...

1) put in a system that maximizes the strength of the players on his roster

2) Get with the GM (who was the person who hired him) and let him know what type of players he needs that fit into his system

I have been wrong all along...

All the coach has to do is download The Little Red Engine into his players ipad and then leave it up to the players to will themselves into becoming the Lakers.

and if is doesn't work blame the players!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 15, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"@elfreako - careful. As some of the so-called experts here mentioned many times. The Wiz can do without a big man coach. Heck they already have Sam Cassell on the bench to teach them."

This comment would be so cute and tongue-in-cheek if not for the fact that Sam Cassell was one of the best post up PG's to ever play the game. He probably schools JM in practice still.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 15, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Anyone insisting that McGee hasn't been told at least a million times by coaches (short and tall) to put his body on someone and box out is just delusional.

It's pretty clear that McGee is just not disciplined or focused on doing basic things. Will he become better focused if he loses his starting job for awhile or rides the pine for awhile or loses is this simply a situation where he just needs more playing time? I'll let Flip figure that one out.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 15, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Will he become better focused if he loses his starting job for awhile or rides the pine for awhile or is this simply a situation where he just needs more playing time?

Posted by: tgif11 | December 15, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

No, no, no. Right now, what I have to offer is I can bring a little bit of everything," he said. "I haven't really paid attention to scoring much this year. I've just been trying to play a solid, solid game. I'm averaging six assists [actually 5.2] and it's something I averaged when I had the ball in my hands all the time. Now I'm averaging the same number of assists without the ball."

Translation: I been quit on yall bums. I'm just amazed ernie and ted hasn't got rid of me. But i'll keep missing open 3's intentionally until they get the message!

Posted by: CBell29 | December 15, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm just amazed ernie and ted hasn't got rid of me.

Posted by: CBell29 | December 15, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

CBell29

Why would another team want him?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 15, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

@rphilli721 JaVale spent most of the summer getting stronger, trying to make Team USA and conquering his asthma issues. That's alot on his plate right there so the notion of 'reaching out' to the greats to get coached up appeared unrealistic.

If every other GM is salivating over the guy's potential then why wouldn't the Wizards bring in a big guy with a REAL resume to show him the ropes? Sure Sam can teach him some things but he never actually checked a 4 or 5 in a real NBA game did he? Hell, CWebb might be a better tutor than Gene Banks for the kid.

I'm not excusing McGee from the equation but acting like the coaching staff isn't part of the problem is insanity.

Posted by: elfreako | December 15, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CBell29 | December 15, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

They got it, they are just trying to keep it low to see if he could get a taker,if not you will see them working around is brain.

Posted by: gtefferra | December 15, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Hell, CWebb might be a better tutor than Gene Banks for the kid."

Posted by: elfreako | December 15, 2010 12:07 PM

Would that be the same "CWebb" who went the entirety of his 14-year career without developing a single go-to move in the post? The same "CWebb" whose interior defense was an embarrassment to matadors everywhere? The same "CWebb" whose natural feel for the game and athleticism allowed him to thrive despite the fundamental cracks in his game (until his athleticism was gone and things started to get ugly fast)? The same "CWebb" who, despite being built like a truck in his prime, shied away from contact like a nun at a frat party? The same Cwebb who anchored a Sacramento team that, while high-scoring and fun to watch, got bounced out of the playoffs every year in large part because of their utter inability to get stops when it mattered, no matter how big a lead they racked up?

Or are you talking about some other "CWebb"?

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 15, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Now that you mention it, however, McGee's approach to 1-on-1 post defense (making minimal body contact with the post man, as if concerned about possible contamination, while waving his hands in the air in a gesture of abject surrender) does bear an uncanny resemblance to Webber's style.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 15, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

CBell29,

Your observation is astute, but I did not want to put it like that. It is the very reason why I said that Gill should have been told on no uncertain terms that he is the leader.

And the type of terms that should have been put to him by Ted should be tough ones. Ted to Gill, you must not fail this time. Your legacy depends on you leading and showing this team the right way to be winners.

The wisdom in Ted insisting that Gill lead has everything to do with the Team succeeding, period. Now people, some, can't fathom why you would make him lead, when he screwed the pooch the first time.

For the Team is the answer and it helps makes him a more viable plum on the trade market as well.

If you let Gilbert piddle paddle around on his own volition because you haven't charged him to lead, it is bad for the Team, Gilbert, and the organization.

LarryInClintonMD

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 15, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

So basically, they should allow Arenas to hold the team hostage to his whims and ego because it's the only way to keep him engaged enough to get the best out of him? But--and correct me if I'm wrong--isn't that pretty much the exact same strategy that got them into troubleion in the first place?

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 15, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

So basically, they should allow Arenas to hold the team hostage to his whims and ego because it's the only way to keep him engaged enough to get the best out of him? But--and correct me if I'm wrong--isn't that pretty much the exact same strategy that got them into trouble in the first place?

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 15, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Leaders don't wait for someone to tell them to lead, Larry. It's just that simple. With Wall out and the young players searching for something they can build on, a true leader would have assumed a leadership role if he had it in him, especially after ten years in the league.

You're grasping at straws. The reason for Arenas not playing well is actually pretty simeple: He's not the player that he used to be after three knee surgeries. Hence, the lowest shotting percentage since his first year in Washington and scarce trips to the FT line. His explosiveness is gone and the ballhandling seems to be diminished as well. He's damaged goods and he knows he can't consistently carry a team. When are the fanz going to realize same?

Arenas isn't playing mind games and he's not holding back, imho. In fact, simple logic says the better he plays the easier it is to move him. If he wants a new address, it would be counterproductive to essentially tank his game.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 15, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"Mayce Edward Christopher Webber, III (born March 1, 1973, in Detroit, Michigan), better known as Chris Webber and nicknamed C-Webb, is a retired American professional basketball player. He is a five-time NBA All-Star, a former All-NBA First Teamer, a former NBA Rookie of the Year, and a former #1 overall NBA Draftee. As a collegian, he was an NCAA Men's Basketball first team All-American and led the University of Michigan Wolverines' 1991 incoming freshman class known as the Fab Five that reached the 1992 & 1993 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship games as freshmen and sophomores. He is also a former National High School Basketball Player of the Year who led his high school Detroit Country Day to three Michigan State High School Basketball Championships."

That Chris Webber Kalo_rama, That Chris Webber Kalo_rama.

I wonder how many 5-time NBA stars whom never played defense will make it to the Hall? Does Chris have a shot? Or was he just an NBA bust in the way you characterized him?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 15, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I say we give Nick Young the starting SG job and tell him to be the star. Dude can score with Kobe and if we give him a leadership role he could POSSIBLY step up. He's absolutley our best player. I dont care what any of you say. Tell him to study game tape of Mike and Kobe and go get us some wins. I mean...nothing else is working!

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | December 15, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

tgif11,

Flip's approach is to see Wall and Hinrich lead this team. As long as Gilbert knows this he isn't going to rock the boat especially given his past.

And yes Kalo, this is like handing the torch back over to him and we saw what happened the first time around, but the bottom line is he cannot repeat what happened the first time around.

He would have to lead with the skills or lack of skills and the knowledge and experience that he currently has.

It is a gamble worth taking IMO.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 15, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Put me in the catagory who honestly doesnt know. I definitely dont think he's tanking it until he gets traded because no one is going to trade for him if he sucks. I dont think he's tanking it so he doesnt get traded either because that just makes no sense.

I think its either the knee thing & his physical stuff comes & goes with the wind or its all mental. He has no doubt had some games where he moved alot better then he is now. It wasnt prime Gil but it was still enough to be good. Now he looks like Deion Sanders with that turf toe injury where it seemed like he gained a permanent limp in his run. He has the speed of a PF right now in a PG's body and is drawing good defenders so he sucks.

The #1 thing I have always hated about Gil is that he seemed to be mentally weak. He never wanted to do the things that it took to win titles and thats one thing but he also would suck anytime he had any kind of minor injury coming into a game. He's also one of the biggest confidence guys in the league. If he starts stinking it up then he goes further in the tank instead of the other way.

One thing that Im really starting to hate is the Jason Campbell crap though. I was a big fan of JC but I started to turn on him when he never took responsibility. Nothing was ever his fought. All the int's were on the recievers, on the line, coaches not opening it up enough, no running game, and so on. Gil is doing that same thing now. Everytime something bad happens, he's blaming the young guys. Then the media ask him about scoring more and he tries to fake & say that he doesnt want to do that because he wants to play a team game when in reality if he was healthy & confident then he would be trying to get 40 all the time. He just cant right now for whatever reason.

Maybe he needs to sit again for awhile beause he's not moving well at all or maybe he just needs to get mentally tougher. We hear all this stuff about how he's blowing by guys & dunking in the Summer. I think it may just be an adjusment for him playing against guys in real games, at real speeds, and are big. I think he could turn it around soon but he has to do it on his own, mentally

Posted by: dlts2041 | December 15, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Why would another team want him?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 15, 2010 12:00 PM

Because Gil is sandbagging it. He's SO talented that he can sleep walk through 35 mins and still post half way decent numbers to fool you into thinking he tries. I'm sorry, after all of his antics he's been doing since he got here, intentionally missing shots is not that far off. Sadly, the only teams who want him happen to play in of freakin division. Meaning he'd go off on us 4 times a year.

SN -- I took the rumor from Mike from the previous post about charlotte and ran a trade on espn's trade machine (I wonder if REAL gm's use this?). Gil for Diaw and Nazr Mohammed works easily. bonus is, both diaw and mohammed contracts expire at this season's end. I'm sure the only thing holding Ernie back is trading in division. I say go for it.

Posted by: CBell29 | December 15, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

OK that's something we've heard before, and it still doesn't make sense. The NBA doesn't allow a defender to tackle his man, so any decent offensive player is going to find ways to penetrate the perimeter. The point of penetration is to draw the defense to the penetrator, leaving somebody else open. The penetrator can pass or continue with the shot

Posted by: Samson151

I thought the only people who play outside the perimeter are 3 point shooters. Isn't the game on a whole is played inside the arch and the strength of any defense is to stop penetration from reaching the painted?

When there is a defensive breakdown who compensate for the breakdown? Should anybody be worried about playing any help defense? And the guy I see helping out the most is McGee.

Posted by: spades72 | December 15, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

One more thing tgif11,

I am not equating the naming of Gill as the leader is a factor in his performance.

Arenas is like the train conductor in the third car going down the tracks with two passengers in the lead car conducting in name only.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 15, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Funny so much flak is directed Mcgee's way a night after Gil was ineffective and KH was useless...yet both played more than JM or NY. Javale was not particularly good last night, but he went for 12pts/9rebs/3blks/3stls in 29mins on 6-8 FG- not exactly a horrid affair considering the Lakers frontline. The same folks fixated on mcgee's current inadequacies would have had Young traded for scraps in October. This is supposed to be a rebuild right? Patience with the young players as they are coached up. Overpaid, under-performing vets are a bigger concern.

Posted by: divi3 | December 15, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

You guys are conpiracy theory lunatics. Jesse Ventura wannabes.

Gil is not sandbagging. He's in Flips stupid offense and of course he's not going to go off for 30 when he doesn't get as many possessions as he use to. His shots aren't falling...it sucks but thats basketball. I agree he should be more aggressive but we don't really know how his knee feels or how confident he is. Last night he was really efficient. How about 10 assists? How come no one mentioned that? He's giving his all and getting his teamates involved while putting up some decent point totals.

The thought that he is purposely not playing is the stupidest thing ive read on here.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | December 15, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"I wonder how many 5-time NBA stars whom never played defense will make it to the Hall?"

Alex English, George Gervin, Charles Barkley, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Dominique Wilkens are already in. Reggie Miller and Chris Mullen will probably make it next year. Dirk Nowitzki and Allen Iverson are surefire first ballot inductees. And that's just off the top of my head.

"Does Chris have a shot? Or was he just an NBA bust in the way you characterized him?"

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 15, 2010 12:41 PM"

In what, I;m sure, comes as a surprise to no one . . . I never said anything close to what you're claiming I said. (Shocking, I know) I never "characterized" Webber as a "bust." Utter, ridiculous nonsense. Webber was a great player. But he was a great player whose quite clear weaknesses (soft interior play, weak defense) make any suggestion of him as a mentor for McGee outright laughable because he had basically the same weakness as Javale does. But the things Webber used to overcome them (a high bball IQ and a natural feel for the game) are things that (A) McGee clearly lacks and (B) most likely can't be taught.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 15, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

It may be true that Arenas skills have been reduced to the point of mediocrity, or that he is, as stated by many, adjusting to Wall and a different style of play.

If Flip and EG are still be banking on Gilbert and Wall in the same back court, Arenas' mind set has to be to adjust his style of play. If that possibility has been abandoned by management (I don't think it has) his relevance then depends on reverting to form and coming off the bench and scoring in bunches, if he still can. The Wizards will never unload him and his contract if he doesn't succeed in following one path or the other.

Posted by: midlevex_ | December 15, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

"Arenas isn't going to do one thing more above what this team has planned for him. Flip Saunders isn't approaching Gilbert as if he wants to see Gill lead this team."

If true, that underscores my point that Gil simply isn't a leader (it also means he's willing to saw off his nose to spite his face if you believe he wants out of Washington).

"And to your point about leaders stepping up. You're right in that, Gilbert is the leader of this team as we speak, he just hasn't been charged to lead."

Ok. You got me, Larry. Which is it - Gil's not leading or he is? Because it appears that you're now arguing both sides of the issue.

Not that you said it, but I hope you're not equating someone with being the leader of a team simply because he leads or has lead the team in scoring.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 15, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

To say that he is tanking it isn't quite the right way to put it. Sure he is giving effort, but he isn't approaching the game like he is in charge, the man.

You can give your best and at the same time you can defer to the wishes of the team. This is exactly what he is doing. He is deferring to the organization, the coach, and Wall and Hinrich.

Well you might say he should, but in this case it isn't having the right impact on the success of the Team.

I think Gilbert knows this but he isn't budging, for after all isn't this what the organization wants???

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 15, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

"Nick is becoming a player, he's kind of coming into his won. That's what the NBA is about, adjusting. Countering...
-GA on NY
No, no, no. Right now, what I have to offer is I can bring a little bit of everything, I haven't really paid attention to scoring much this year. I've just been trying to play a solid, solid game.
-GA on GA

Arenas' description of NY's struggle to adjust to the league parallels his own attempt, so far with inconclusive and mixed results, to alter his game to compliment Wall. Injuries are holding up the verdict on the Wall/Arenas back court, as pt together has been limited.

Arenas' immediate future depends on his ability to adjust to Wall. A major shift for him, away from monopolizing the ball. His description of events to date are typically clumsy and reveal a confused disquisition in search of a much simpler narrative.

Still the Wizards and Wall are a work in progress, adjusting to that is no simple task, neither is trying to facilitate scoring by distributing on a team without shooters and low post options.

Posted by: midlevex_ | December 15, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and don't forget Steve Nash.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 15, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

You guys are conpiracy theory lunatics. Jesse Ventura wannabes.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | December 15, 2010 1:04 PM

@Wizbullets88

Really? Wasn't this the same offense last season when he put up 23 and 7 before the suspension? With 2 former all-stars to share the scoring load with? I just checked and in November alone last year, he put up 30 or more 6 times. So what has changed to Flip's offense this year that has gil just "happy" to avg 6 assists?

Posted by: CBell29 | December 15, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TEliasB | December 15, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Most people know that the refs helps the Lakers win their 2002 playoff series with the Kings. A lot of phantom calls especially game 6. O yeah, CWebb was horrible on that series....

Posted by: Dave381 | December 15, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

@CBell

Sure he had 2 other all stars to share the load with but he also had 2 other all stars to attract defenders. Also, the only players on this team right now that he's played with before this year are Nick and Dray and a little with Javale. You don't think adapting to new, younger players would have an impact on his play? ALSO he was the POINT GUARD last year. He had the ball ALL the time. Flips offense is a POINT GUARD dominated offense. And all i have to say is look at Flips record here in DC. His offense/coaching style/twitching SUCKS

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | December 15, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The big men are not being taught how to box out

Posted by: TEliasB | December 15, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Seriously? ...taught how to box out...in the NBA? You actually believe they need to be taught how to box out....nobody has ever explained to them how this works previously...

LarryInClinton,
You should really try to step back from your infatuation with Gilbert and assess who he is based on his actions and play rather than the fantasies in your head. You are sounding more and more like dargregmag with his DADT love for EJ. It just looks sad.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | December 15, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

So...

Gil is SO GOOD...that he can look bad...while still looking good enough to still be considered good?

That's amazing.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 15, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I coach 7 year olds and they know how to box out. So you think people need to be TAUGHT to box out in the NBA? THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS.

That's like being taught how to pick up a telephone for a receptionist.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 15, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

So...

That's amazing.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 15, 2010 2:06 PM
LOL

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | December 15, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

McGee is the team's leading rebounder and shot blocker playing 28 mins per game but yet he is always singled out for not holding his own. What is that saying for the rest of the team? Under the circumstances I think he is doing a decent job.

Posted by: spades72 | December 15, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

The_Shadow_Knows_... I like that by the way.

What I meant is that boxing out/rebounding correctly is an art that has to be taught and reinforced. Dennis Rodman, Charles Oakley and others had to master it. JM thinks he can out jump anyone for a rebound even when the man has better position. So to answer you question, yes they may have been taught rebounding and boxing out in the past, but that doesn't mean they were taught correctly or that is can't be reinforced. It is human nature to stand and watch the ball in flight towards the basket, but the best rebounders know how to move in position once the ball is in the air and to anticipate where it will come off of the rim. It is all in the timing my man. All in the timing and rhythm. Again, they need a true big man coach to work with these guys. The other part of rebounding is desire. That's a whole nother story for another day...

Posted by: TEliasB | December 15, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@Wizbullets88

I agree. Flip was Mike Shanahan before shanahan got here! And I agree Gil is playing with a totally brand new team. And I'll even go as far as to say that the refs are swallowing the whistle EVERY time Gil goes to the hoop. But the most telling aspect of this entire debate on if he's tanking is this; Gil is a scorer. period. He's not, nor has he ever been a floor leader. He is Allen Iverson with deeper range. I don't care who is coaching or what offense is being ran. At some point, he has to look around and say to himself, "hmmm...screw this offensive set! We need points!" His interview was that of a man who knows he's making 20 million a year and saw what happened to Albert Haynesworth and doesn't want to risk being exiled. So he knows how to "play along" and say the "right" things in an interview. He clashed with Eddie Jordan every game because he didn't run the Princeton offense! He went solo. And I can place a safe bet that if He went against Flip's O for 1 game and dropped 35-40 and they WIN, Flip won't be complaining in the post game comments.

Posted by: CBell29 | December 15, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

CWebb was indeed, in my opinion, a bust based on the talent he had. He never gave anyone the impression he maxed out or put in the work to try to max out his talents.
And, when the proverbial sht hit the fan, like when Peja missed a shot to advance in the playoffs during Sac Town's peak, CWebb would conveniently blame others and minimize his utter lack of leadership, defense, or desire to play in the post, which he could have been great at. Put Kevin McHale's brain in CWebb's body and you got one of the greatest players ever. Instead, you got a player that is far lower in the pecking order than many similarly talented players with no ring, e.g. Charles Barkley. Rasheed Wallace would be in the same category although he, at least, did win a title.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 15, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Cbell,

I'm with you on the fact that i want Gil to be the "assassin" and not the distributor. Because of his past he has to take a step back and not clash with the coach or the orginaztion. They told him to his face that this wasn't HIS team. How do you tell anyone that? Shouldn't that be decided on who plays the best on the court? Flip naming Kirk and Wall captains before they even played a game here? What is Gil supposed to do? I also find it hard to believe he has that bad of character to not try or play hard. Especially when this is his first love. He's said it his whole career.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | December 15, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

McGee is playing like utter crap. Any attempt to say otherwise is hogwash. All you have to do is watch the games and see how many mistakes he makes particularly the last couple of weeks.

This team actually is playing some of the best perimeter defense it has played in years. NY is putting in a decent effort. KH has always been a pretty tough defender. And, even GA is giving a much improved effor on defense than he has in the past. The problem is players like JM, AB and some others who are constantly in the wrong position that allow players to form a layup line to the basket. Great, JM blocks two of those attempts per game - big deal! I would rather him cut off players and box out and then you would see the overall team defense improve. Seraphin is as green as it gets and you can already notice how the lane is less available when he is in the game. This allows the perimeter defense to maintain it's effectiveness since no person or team in the NBA completely stops penetration. It's a matter of how far they are allowed to go. With JM in the game, it's all the way baby except for twice a game!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 15, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 15, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I saw a clip last week where Arenas said his roll on the team is not to score 30 or 40 points anymore but to fall within the concept of team basketball. Did you all missed that? By taking a back seat to wall, Gilbert have loss all aggression and attitude to his game. If he is not the man he is not going to play like the man. He is going to leave that up to Batman. That's just the way it is.

Posted by: spades72 | December 15, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

One of two trades need to happen! Gil & 'Dray for Lewis & Gortat or Gil & Al for Iggy & Turner.

Posted by: CantWait90 | December 15, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

TEliasB,
Roger that....I guess I just can't imagine these nuances have not been communicated prior as well. Partly based on the reports of weak effort in practices, partly on my perception we do not have many intelligent or hard working players, it just appears to me to be lack of desire to do their jobs as asked by their employers.

Having said that I do not care for Flip as a coach for this team. I think they need a younger coach who can communicate better with them and can mix it up a little. I particulalry dislike that I have never once....not ever...heard Flip take responsibility for a single bad decision on his part, and there have been many.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | December 15, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@ rphilli721

You are making no sense whatsoever. The center is usually the last line of defense so if they are getting to Mcgee in the painted area where is the defensive breakdown is coming from?

Posted by: spades72 | December 15, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlts2041

Arenas has said, more than once or twice, that he's not the same player he used to be. I'm sure admitting that has been difficult for him, but I'm also sure that he's right.

Why do fans have a harder time than Arenas of accepting the truth?

Posted by: nmik | December 15, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"The main thing I noticed watching the game lastnight was the fact that the Lakers are a smarter better coached team. Say what you want about Artest, but he has a high B-Ball IQ just as Dennis Rodman did. He may have some mental problems, but the dude understands the game and Phil knows how to get the most out of all of his players. I think Phil's style of coaching is under-appreciated. Flip needs to go to the Phil Jackson school of handling egos and problem players. Also, don't forget he has asst coaches like Tex Winters that could teach the triangle offense to almost anyone. Look at the players they scout. The Lakers have bench players that ran circles around our starters.

Flip is not a coach for a young team. His style is more effective with a veteran team that already knows how to motivate themselves. The big men are not being taught how to box out, the guards don't know how to defend the pick and roll, and all of the players continue to let players blow by them going their strong side. If the player is right-handed, force him to his left...Fundamentals. My goodness please get someone in there to work with these guys.."

Ok Captain Obvious...the defending champs are well coached and a smart basketball team. Really? No...

Phil Jackson is a great coach, but he has coached more Hall of Famer's than anyone out there. I don't hold that against him. Just like Flip being a successful coach when he was in Minnesota with KG is not a knock on him as some in here suggest. NEWSFLASH: You aren't winning a large percentage of games, playoff series, and championships without great players.

Right now, the Wiz have a few potential very good to great players. But they are young, raw, and rebuilding - which has nothing to do with whether they are being taught how to box out and other complete nonsense. First of all, the notion that there is some magical way to box out is hilarious. It's not a mystery. Certainly not at the professional level. It's a matter of having a lack of focus and attention to detail and the fundamentals, which not so surprisingly a lot of young players are missing.

Artest's comments on JM after the game last night are absolutely hysterical and spot on. That has to be one of the all-time great locker room quotes about another player.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 15, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

nmik,
Because he and his enormous contract are an albatross around the neck of this franchise? Gil still gets his 100 million...guessing that helps ease his plight.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | December 15, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | December 15, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards got the 17th overrall pick in the draft plus $3 million in cash to take Hinrich off of the hands of the Bulls and he is playing like it. Hinrich have been playing like a bum at both ends of the floor and should be sitting at the end of the bench.

Posted by: spades72 | December 15, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"@ rphilli721

You are making no sense whatsoever. The center is usually the last line of defense so if they are getting to Mcgee in the painted area where is the defensive break down is coming from?"

Oh really? So, Kobe can get by his man virtually anytime he wants, right? That much I am pretty sure we can agree upon. Why doesn't he score 100 pts every night then? Could it be bc there are things like defensive rotations, switching, and other team defensive concepts of which JM is completely clueless??? Nah...are you really that simple of a basketball fan? Have you ever played the game? As I stated, these are NBA players who can and will penetrate any defense, and as you state to a certain degree the center is a last line of defense. But, JM doesn't come close to putting up any sort of barrier. In fact, he is more likely to provide them with an escort to the rim. Haywood may have been a lot of things, but he got a lot of praise for how he could quarterback the defense from the center position. Think JM is in the same zip code in that regard? Think he has the brain capacity to ever be? He doesn't know where he should be let alone helping out anyone else. He has got a LONG way to go. He disguised his deficiences for a couple of weeks with all out effort and raw skill after Flip gave him the business. Now, he needs to learn how to work smarter not harder.

Try taking basketball 101 before you go spouting off about someone else not making sense!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 15, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"Calling Hinrich a tough defender at this stage in his career is laughable. Watch Nick on Kobe last night and then try to envision KH or Gil coming anywhere near that level of defense. They are not physically capable. Applaud Gil's newfound "effort" and Kirk's "ruggedness" all you want...but they aint gettin it done"

What? KH is by far the best perimeter defender on this team per the damn coach's own words. NY is catching on, perhaps it's no small coicidence that he has someone to emulate for once.

KH has made the NBA all-defensive team and is only 28/29 I believe. I think you are sticking a nail in his coffin a little prematurely based on some bias you have against him for god knows what reason.

Yeah, I watched NY on Kobe last night and I believe Kobe scored 25 points in 25 mins of play. Then NY compounded that issue by letting KB get in his head so he started forcing shots and throwing up airballs in response - yanked. Bravo NY! In contrast, I don't recall Fisher doing much of anything and he certainly didn't rattle KH.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 15, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

We must be watching different games.

KH has made the NBA all-defensive team and is only 28/29 I believe

2nd team all-defense back in 2004, apparently that's the scouting footage EG was watching when he proclaimed KH could defend SFs if we need him to.

KH is 6'2" 190 pounds, no amount of "grit" or "guts" can compensate for that type of physical disadvantage at SG/SF. Gil is a little bigger, but on a dead leg, just not that effective.

Posted by: divi3 | December 15, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

What is Gil supposed to do?

-----
uh, gil is supposed to do what leonsis told him (and us) before the season started: not to mess up in any way (he's already blown that by his shenanigans in either faking or not faking an injury).

anyone who feels ted wouldn't ship him out for almost anyone (unless he lost serious bucks by doing so) is out to lunch.

Posted by: MinuMang | December 15, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

btw, Wall has been surprisingly porous, he's the guy that could use some lessons from Kirk imo

Posted by: divi3 | December 15, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

bryc3 you just made me laugh and bitterly reminisce at the same time.

Posted by: LoveTheWiz | December 15, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I've responded to several post but the blog police have refused to post them must be Flip and Ernie fan.(LMAO!)

Posted by: dargregmag | December 15, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721

Taking basketball 101 should apply to you. Anybody that cites Hinrich as being a good player and would take Yi over over McGee should refrain from giving basketball opionions.

Posted by: spades72 | December 15, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Gil is a scorer. period. . . . He is Allen Iverson with deeper range. I don't care who is coaching or what offense is being ran.

You're living in the past.

Posted by: nmik | December 15, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CantWait90 | December 15, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

___________________________

Is Iggy on the block? If not that trade (Gil and Al for Ig) is never happening, though i'd be immensely happy if it did. Why would we want rashard lewis over gilbert at this point?

Posted by: LoveTheWiz | December 15, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Gil & 'Dray for Lewis & Gortat

I bet EG would do that in a heartbeat, and move JM to PF.

Posted by: divi3 | December 15, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

The person who holds the purse strings decides whose team it is. He's the person who decides which banners to put up (and take down). He's the person who tells the the PR staff whom they need to promote. I suspect he's the person who suggests to the coaches whom they should name captains.

I assume you know who that person is--and it isn't Saunders or Grunfeld.

Posted by: nmik | December 15, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

@divi,

We must be bc he is playing pretty well defensively and the coach seems to agree with me. Nobody expects either GA or KH to be particularly effective guarding SF's. Let alone me. I don't know that I agree with Flip's experiment in that regard (3 guard lineup), but, then again, I see what he was trying to accomplish. That being, fielding a competent offensive unit that could move the ball and have 3 of our better players on the court at the same time. This team is simply too young, too injured, and too raw particularly on the front line to have success at much of anything. So why not experiment? It's called rebuilding and this season as opposed to say the beginning of last season, it was made perfectly clear the team is in rebuilding mode with young players. A lot of people in here missed that memo.

@ Spades,

Again, you just don't get it. You act like being able to be in the proper position and cut off driving lanes etc somehow prevents him from boxing out and playing fundamental defensive basketball. It certainly is true in his case bc he is in basketball terms mentally challenged, but there have been plenty of centers capable of pulling that off. Like I said, Seraphin already does a better job of clogging the lane than McGee does and it's not just bc he has more girth. If he was as out of position as often as McGee, he has much less recovery ability although he is pretty damn athletic for his size. In other words, the two are not as mutally exclusive as you make it seem.

So to answer your two questions...the majority of the break downs are coming from the front court and the center position bc of improper positioning and missing defensive assignments. And, no, it's not bc he is rotating and playing great help defense. It's bc he is often over rotating and too quick to misread a developing play or not reading it at all. Usually bc he is so focused on showing everyone that he can reach almost any ball in the air to a fault among other things.

By the way, I never said I would take Yi over McGee. I said in a lot of aspects his game is currently better than McGee's. I can't predict the future, but Yi may be too soft and never adapt to the NBA style of play. And, McGee, well he may never mature to the point of being a competent consistent NBA player. Both have a fairly high level of potential still and that is why they are both on a young rebuilding basketball team and getting minutes. I can't predict the future, but if one or the other developes further the team wins.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 15, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

@divi,

@ Spades,

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 15, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

nmik,

I agree Ted promotes the team and decided to hang banners of John Wall. That would happen with any number one pick. Just smart marketing.

I find it hard to believe he decides captains though. It was the coach of the Caps who finally decided to grant Ovechkin the captain spot...ya know after he earned it. Ted doesn't decide what goes on on the court. That is strictly Ernie and Flip. My point is that you can promote whom ever you want but don't tell someone to take a step back and let it be known as Walls team. That's something you earn and as far as i'm concerned, the guy who won you the most games and gave you a playoff birth after playoff birth is Gilbert Arenas. He gives this team the best chance to win. Ride his coattails and let the players decides whos team it is.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | December 15, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

You're living in the past.

----

WAYYY in the past.

he's playing as well as he can. those of you who are claiming he's tanking it need to think about what you're saying. he can't get traded (if you think he needs to be) by tankingl. he can't get more (or fewer) minutes by tanking. what in god's name would be the poinbt/

Posted by: MinuMang | December 15, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"My question was where were the defensive breakdown is coming from? You claimed that the perimeter defense is good but yet the guards and small forwards are getting in the paint at will. You complained that Mcgee does not box out and is always out of position but isn't that because he rotates and plays help defense?"Posted by: spades72

I'm not the target of the above but let's clarify something: the perimeter defense isn't consistently 'good', but it isn't bad, either. The interior defense, however, is often bad. So once an opponent can get beyond that initial defender, there's not much resistance.

McGee is an athletic shotblocker who often gets at shots that others couldn't. But in his eagerness to block or alter a shot, he leaves himself out of position for a rebound. And the Wiz don't have anybody who can fill that hole.

So my thought has been that McGee either learn to hold position defensively, sacrificing some block attempts, or get someone else to do that job. I'm thinking Blatche isn't the guy.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 15, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

the perimeter defense isn't consistently 'good', but it isn't bad, either.

I would say it's consistently below average.

Posted by: divi3 | December 15, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli7

----

yeah, more humorously and gently phrased than most things you read from other players and coaches but spot on and funny.

Posted by: MinuMang | December 15, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 |

----

not exactly a revelation since mcgee himself's said he'd have to give up blocks (horrors! lost highlight reels!) to rebound and play defense.

he also said some time ago (when he was rebounding and playing more defense) that he was doing it because he was "tired of being yelled at."

yeah, blatche probably isn't going to fill that rebounding hole either.

talented but pitiful pair. i'd lose 'em both if I were ted.

Posted by: MinuMang | December 15, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Kirt is not the best defender on the team. Ever body, Kirk guard go around him, like he is stuck in the mud. They score at will on Kirk. Nick is thee best one on one defender out there next to Kobe. And a very good team defender.

Posted by: maejude | December 15, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: maejude | December 15, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli7

I'm still rofl. Sadly, too true.

Posted by: EestiLaps | December 15, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Flip did not do any favors to Hall by giving him the Captain logo as a rookie. Hall is not smart enough or experienced enough to learn what the PRO game is about much less learning what a pro PG needs to do. It's way too much too ask a rookie to be a team leader--learn the PRO game--and be a PG I don't care how good he was at UofK--it's a whole new ball game in the NBA. I think they should have Gil start the game at PG and spot Hall 6/7 min.in & that will allow Hall to see what the other team is doing and see how Gil operates and runs the team. After the half put Hall out there with with Gil for the 3rd and 4th Qtr. I would limit his time to 30/35 min. a game. The powers that be are doing Hall a diservice by playing him the way they now are. It'l ruin this kid--take away the "C" and let him learn in small doses for the next 10/20 games and if he get's it great.

Posted by: vergens2 | December 16, 2010 5:07 AM | Report abuse