Posted at 1:22 AM ET, 12/27/2010

Rashard Lewis, Hilton Armstrong fill in well for suspended Wizards Andray Blatche and JaVale McGee

By Michael Lee

As the Wizards trudged to the locker room following their 14th straight road loss to start the season, Andray Blatche was standing outside the team bus talking with Tommy Sheppard, the Wizards' vice president of basketball administration. Blatche listened and nodded as Sheppard patted him on chest.

Blatche will re-join the Wizards in Houston after he and JaVale McGee served a one-game suspension for conduct detrimental to the team, but after the game, Coach Flip Saunders wouldn't say whether or not both players would be back in the starting lineup against the Rockets.

Oh, yeah. I'm feeling it. (AP Photo)

"I haven't really thought about it," Saunders said. "I'll have to wait and see. We'll watch film tonight, watch film tomorrow and have to wait and see."

Saunders had to be pleased with the play of Rashard Lewis and Hilton Armstrong, who started in place of Blatche and McGee. Lewis had 21 points and 12 rebounds; the first time since March 18 that the 6-foot-10 forward has scored at least 20 points with 10 rebounds in the same game.

Lewis hadn't grabbed at least 10 rebounds since then and has only scored 20 points four times this season. But he appeared more comfortable in his second game with Wizards, playing well off both Kirk Hinrich and John Wall, as he connected on 4 of 8 from beyond the three-point line.

"Trying to get myself back in the groove," Lewis said. "Rhythm comes with playing. We haven't had very much practice. You try to get everything going on the fly and run the offense. I was a lot better tonight, with the offensive scheme, learning the plays over the past couple of days. Got a lot of learning to do."

Armstrong grabbed a career-high 13 rebounds, but also defended well against Tim Duncan, although the Spurs are much more reliant on Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker to win games these days. Armstrong also scored six points -- which was actually more than Duncan, who had just five points on 2-of-9 shooting.

"With Tim, he's one of the top 50 players ever, so I was really excited for this game," Armstrong said. "Usually when I come here in the past, he gets me in foul trouble because he plays so smart. My main thing, I was trying to take advantage of the time I was going to get, telling myself, I have to be smarter than him today. I have to beat him to the spot, stay on my feet jump straight up and stay out of foul trouble."

Armstrong did all of that, but may not be available on Monday after suffering a mild right foot sprain in the fourth quarter while trying to contest a shot by Aberdeen native Gary Neal.

Wall made a surprising return to action from the bone bruise under his right knee, after practicing for the first time in two weeks on Saturday in San Antonio. He was noticeably rusty, as he sported protective padding on both knees. Wall finished with just four points, six rebounds and four assists in just more than 19 minutes. "I felt good," Wall said afterward. "It was just getting a rhythm going, playing, getting used to the guys again. They've been doing a great job without me in the lineup. I'm not trying to force my way back into it. Just trying to find my role, I hope I can get back to helping my team as much as I can."

Wall had a serious challenge right away, trying to keep up with Parker, who scored 20 points with 14 assists and kept the rookie on his heels in the time they shared the floor. Parker used a couple of vet moves on Wall, such as driving and leaning on Wall, knowing that the whistle would blow and he'd get a trip to the foul line.

Okay, I'm having a little better success against Tim Duncan than you, Tony. (AP Photo)

Wall seemed to find a good chemistry in his first game playing with North Carolina native Josh Howard, who scored 11 points in his fourth game since returning from a torn ACL. Howard was looking forward to testing his knee in his first set of back-to-back games. "I'll see how my knee responds with this back-to-back, but overall, I'm feeling good."

"The thing that ends up tough at times is you have to monitor two guys; Josh's minutes, trying to keep that to 24 or around there and monitor John a little bit," Saunders said.

Nick Young failed to score at least 20 points for the first time in six games, as he was limited to just 10 points on 5-of-19 shooting. It was the first time in weeks that Young had looked so hesitant and indecisive, which may have had something to do with Ginobili's harassing defense. Ginobili, though, didn't have any such problems on the offensive end against Young. "I thought I prepared myself right. My shot just wasn't there," Young said. "They came after me every time I was shooting. It was tough, but we still fought. We still had a chance. If I knock down a couple shots, or somebody else had knocked down shots, it would've been a ball game."

The Wizards seemed to hang around but were never seriously in the game, since the Spurs always seemed to find an answer, usually in the form of a three-pointer. San Antonio leads the league in three-point shooting percentage and made 10 of 24 against the Wizards.

Lewis made four of the Wizards' five three-pointers and was excited about returning to his home town of Houston, where his mother, Juanita Brown, will make him his favorite meal of smothered chicken, rice, gravy and corn. "That's something I always like to eat," Lewis said. "Always good to play in front of family and friends, especially in front of mom. Get a home cooked meal and hopefully won't get too fat before the game."

By Michael Lee  | December 27, 2010; 1:22 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Open thread: Wizards (7-20) at Spurs (25-4)
Next: Wizards continue to lose in San Antonio, on the road

Comments

Posted by: Delle | December 27, 2010 6:12 AM | Report abuse

"Only you and Samson would accept such low expectations from a GM?Posted by: bulletsfan78"

It's not the GM I have low expectations for -- it's the team. Ownership made a conscious decision to 'blow it up' last year, after Abe's death and with Ted's role still unresolved. That was on Ernie's recommendation. Once that decision was made, and those trades realized, we were looking at a long, hard campaign. Based on the best projections I could find, they entered this season looking at 19 wins and 63 losses, and after a third of the season, they still are.

Right now, they're pretty much on course for that.

So I see it the record as a direct result of the strategy. Maybe it gets a little better, maybe a little worse, but overall, they're right on course.

For the lottery, not the playoffs. But they knew that.

It's mainly hard on the fans. We like a winner. If we had our way, there would never be any down cycles in the life of our teams. The Wiz would still be going to the first round of the playoffs and losing to Cleveland -- hey, Cleveland would not beat us this year!

Some of us appear not to.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 27, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

"Blatche will probably start sulking and moping around if he's taken out of the starting line up."

Posted by: Delle | December 27, 2010 6:12 AM

Probably? Try "definitely." But given how he's been playing, I doubt sulking and moping could make his performance any worse.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 27, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

"The Wiz are taking a big gamble, and they may lose. Ted gambled before, on the Caps, and won, so that probably sustains him. We'll either stay interested as fans through the process, or we'll drop away. Ted knows that, and knows it's inevitable."

Posted by: Samson151 | December 27, 2010 6:37 AM

May be a bit early to declare victory for the Caps' rebuilding plan. I'd say they're in much the same place the Wiz were after that 2nd or 3rd playoff loss to Cleveland. The initial rush of excitement stirred up by the team's return to respectability has started to fade, replaced by bigger expectations that the team has so far fallen short of achieving. They have a small window to pay off on the promise, or the natives in Capsville will probably start getting as restless (and irrational) as the ones in Wizland.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 27, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

this is not hockey..u cant rebuild through the draft..name anothe team that stayed from from there draft players ..because at some point your gonna have to play them all..the wiz are the clippers of the east..TED just hasnt said it yet..he kept arenas until everybody bought there season tickets then unloaded him..Spurs has been good for the last decade..lakers as been good for the last decade except for one year..dallas has been good for the last decade..there was no rebuilding just added pieces to there teams..OKC just became good and now how do u afford Westbrook and Green..somebody has to go and there gonna be right back in the toilet.blazers was once the new dynasty team being built do to there play..they had to trade players and had to take steps back...Now the clippers are u tell me in 20 years you can only make the playoffs 11111111 time..and they've had atleast 6 number picks..some owners are in it for the money not the ring..until u realize that..your gonna get your heart broke everytime...before you know it Wall will be max javale will be making 10 million and the numbe 2 or 3 pick this year will be getting paid..its a rat race

Posted by: MrNoOne | December 27, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

"this is not hockey..u cant rebuild through the draft.." Posted by: MrNoOne

I agree! I said the same thing but I believe Ted Knows at some point he will have to increase the teams $57 Mil salary, which is among the lowest in the league trying not to have to pay luxary tax. Top level players come at a cost we need a least 1 with maturity and veteran leadership.

BTW Who cares if Blatche starts sulking & moping? Didn't see any fall-off without him in there besides, when was the last time this team had a player in the dog house!

Posted by: zack9633 | December 27, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

"this is not hockey..u cant rebuild through the draft.." Posted by: MrNoOne

Sure you can but the problem is the Wizards have a GM who can't draft and his record proves it.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 27, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

As Wall gets healthy, I really hope Flip decides to have KH as a backup PG. Never seen a starting PG the you hope to win with, having as many years in the league get the ball taken from him so much! Reminds me of that "clueless" guy walking the crowded streets in NYC with that big bulky wallet in his back pocket . . . you know the rest of the story!

Posted by: zack9633 | December 27, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

this is not hockey..u cant rebuild through the draft.." Posted by: MrNoOne

Posted by: bulletsfan78
------------------
Pecherov -LOL
Seraphin - hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Blatche - hahahahahahahaha
----------------------
we see the Sampson151 Propaganda guy is up early to do his usual damage control. You are somebodies tool dawg- WIZ PR Dept maybe?-- You probably voted for BUSH too,and You ARE Sorry.
NEXT??

Posted by: getjiggly2 | December 27, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I still scratch my head everytime I read about the extension that Blatche supposedly earned over the summer. That's a huge gamble considering we are speaking of a man almost 7 foot who despite can get us 20 points on any night is an absolute turnover machine and will get his shot blocked an avergae of 5 times per night. Sick of hearing about Blatche. I was not a big supporter oof Rashard Lewis coming to WAS but afte rlast night I think he should start over Blatche. Wall struggled mightily last night and couldn't buy a jumper which is to be somewhat expected considering he has missed more time than he has played this season. He really needs to work on that jumper though...he will not succeeed at this level without one.

Posted by: coach55 | December 27, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Blatche's problem is simple: He isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is.

That said, having Rashard Lewis on this team may be a blessing in disguise. He's much more competition for Blatche than Yi or Booker and can legitimately take Blatche's minutes if he doesn't improve his attitude and overall game.

Posted by: harrybalz | December 27, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

"Blatche's problem is simple: He isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is."

I agree Harry and ever since he received that terible extension from EG he has tried to put this team on his shoulders as if he was the man in WAS. Look, I take no pleasure in bashing anyone but I call it like I see it. I'm a season tix holder and I am frustrated at the product that I pay to see every night. I really do believe that Ted needs ot make a big splash in the near future in order ot make this team better. Patience is running thin in DC.

Posted by: coach55 | December 27, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Andray Blatche is a bench player, period.

Posted by: coach55 | December 27, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

"The most surprising play of the night had to be in the second half, when 275 pound Kevin Seraphin found himself matched up with his fellow French countryman Parker and the 185-pound Parker plowed right through him. Seraphin explained afterward that he was off-balanced and slipped. Otherwise, I would've called him for flopping."
---------------
Haha.. Seraphin with 4 fouls committed in 9 minutes..no points, no rebounds..just fouls. *(he may be leading the NBA in fouls per minutes played).. ANOTHER GREAT draft by Grunfeld, Sheppard and Newtom and Tapscot. At least Seraphin is gaining experience for his trip back to Europe which will def. be sooner than later.

Posted by: getjiggly2 | December 27, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

This team loses at home and on the road. If a professional team is so bad, then it is the fault of the coach and / or GM. They should be fired!

Posted by: venky1 | December 27, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Other then one year,the Wiz were one and done in the playoffs. Eddie Jordan rode his big three hard due to a lack of real depth. Eddie was doing it with smoke and mirrors and playing his big 3 nearly 40 minutes a game.

The Caps have been more like the Patrick Ewing Knicks, the Penquins are their Bulls so far. In hockey Crosby has been nearly a Jordan. In Canada they'd tell you he's better then Jordan. To compare the Capitals to Eddie Jordan's Wizards shows a total misunderstanding of both hockey and basketball.

The Wiz were never a Championship contender blocked by a superior team in their own division. They were a fun team to watch that broke a string of losing. On any given night they could beat anybody, but they weren't built to advance in the playoffs, just get there.

Some folks are better to stick to rabble rousing. Boy, the pitchforks and kitchen knives were out over the weekend....

Some people must have had a lousy Christmas, or bored very quickly of their latest world domination computor game...

They're not as offensively gifted as Arenas, Butler, and Jamison, but the have all came from veteran, seasoned, playoff teams, that get there year after year playing defense.

McGee and Blatche deserved to get their fingers slapped & they did.If we didn't live in a world of live video cell phones and everybody thinking they're an ace reporter, would have been a totally no news event. But it was,and the players were punished, end of pretty boring little story...

Blatche may well be gone, not because he likes the ladies, but because he may miss the boat on realizing he's going to have to defend and rebound to keep his job. If he doesn't, Flip's got somebody else to turn to now. If he does get the message, Flip's got some flexibility sine Lewis can play the 3 and Howard the 2.

As critical as some have been of Armstrong, he did most of the work you expect from a center last night. Not near as exciting as McGee, but more workmanlike. Another guy that can play basic fundamental basketball, don't have to send out to the D League to find them, they're right here.

Sampson 151 is right, since the team blowup, this team is about on pace for where we would expect it to be. Lottery bound and transitioning it's style of play to fit the talents of it's new star...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | December 27, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"Andray Blatche is a bench player, period."

True statement but no need to convince Flip of this. I think time will tell because he had to start Blatche after the "EG Blowup". He has players to at least compete nightly without in the starting line up but I think Flip is afraid of Blatche going postal or pulling a Sprewell on him. The media paints Blatche as a disrepecting,immature, spoiled, hot headed @ss and he may very well be but Ernie gives him an extention and more money and Blatche thinks he should be on the Allstar Ballot. Blatche has potential but too immature for growth right now. . . maybe on his next team!

Posted by: zack9633 | December 27, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

"this is not hockey..u cant rebuild through the draft.."

Well, using the bulletsfan78 methodology (admittedly flawed), what about San Antonio? Their long ascendancy began with two overall top draft choices (David Robinson and Tim Duncan). So does the exception prove the rule, or contradict it?

Posted by: Samson151 | December 27, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Another team that's rebuilding through the draft: Okla City. This is the club that Ted cites as the model for his plan. Their core players arrived through a succession of Top Ten draft choices. Now they seem to be stockpiling choices to use as trade chips. Are they an exception to the rule?

Posted by: Samson151 | December 27, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"Andray Blatche is a bench player, period."

True statement but someone needs to convince Flip of this. I think time will tell because he had to start Blatche after the "EG Blowup". He has players to at least compete nightly without him in the starting line up but I think Flip is afraid of Blatche going postal or pulling a Sprewell on him. The media paints Blatche as a disrepecting,immature, spoiled, hot headed @ss and he may very well be but Ernie gives him an extention and more money and Blatche thinks he should be on the Allstar Ballot. Blatche has potential but too immature for growth right now. . . maybe on his next team he'll understand that he has to do more than run on the court and play ball!

Posted by: zack9633 | December 27, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"What is being generally ignored is,that even though they are still losing, the Wizards are starting to play a much better brand of basketball. Hinrich, Howard, and Lewis are all playing NBA quality defense. The kind playoff teams play."

I'm with you right up to that last sentence -- their still a ways from playoff caliber defense. Improvement is about all I've been hoping for, and I do see that. Mostly in terms of discipline on the court (if not off it).

With Wall back in the lineup, we should see an increase in mistakes, but that's the price you pay for that sort of rookie talent.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 27, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"May be a bit early to declare victory for the Caps' rebuilding plan."

Oh, I wouldn't. Just noted how much progress they've made in terms of victories. This was a real sad sack of a franchise.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 27, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"Andray Blatche is a bench player, period."

Certainly on a good team he might well come off the bench. He has the skills for it. He starts for the Wiz because of those skills and because there's literally nobody else to represent a scoring threat inside. Or hasn't been up to this point.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 27, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"this is not hockey..u cant rebuild through the draft.."

Posted by: Samson151
-------
Double-talk. If you are incompetent it does not matter. Our front office is incompetent and they have proved it time and time again. see - Pecherov, Blatche and Seraphin. Losers in front office losers on the court... FIRE GRUNFELD and his boys.

Posted by: getjiggly2 | December 27, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 |

HELL YEAH! Just because you're in the draft doesn't mean a player to the caliber of KD will even be in the draft, no guarantees that a high draft pick is gonna pan out or stay healthy. Portland drafted Greg O and look what the expectations were from him. John Wall has proved to be a gem of the draft yet! The draft is a crap shoot, if it was a lock, the Clippers would be there every year. We're a lottery regular and as long as we keep EG, we'll be just what the Knicks were when he was there!

Posted by: zack9633 | December 27, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"He starts for the Wiz because of those skills and because there's literally nobody else to represent a scoring threat inside".

Posted by: zack9633 | December 27, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zack9633
-------------------
Good point zack. If memory serves, Grunfeld did ok in New York because they had unlimited funds and were always over the salary cap...so free agents (Alan Houston, Sprewell*)were ok... but Grunfelds drafts were a huge bust just as they are here. If Ted does not lose EG then we are doomed.

Posted by: getjiggly2 | December 27, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see a full team of adults... not just in age. The foolishness that surrounds this team is unreal. Blatche can't stay out of the club. Right after dude was drafted he gets SHOT after someone followed him FROM the club to his house to jack him. But hey, who's down for the club?? Dray's down!!!

Also - there is flexibility on this team. You can play the poop sandwich or the poop casserole. So yes they're all interchangeable there on the front line.

Better D is a truth for this team. But better for this team is simply putting in an effort now (some players still don't bother). I wouldn't say they can win on D. A lot of the lower scoring efforts have been partly a product of pace as well. And at the slower pace it's obvious the Wiz don't have many scorers as evidenced by the results.

Without the summer extentsion Blatche was tradeable and they should've shipped him for Big Bird, Elmo and a 2nd round pick.

Posted by: unkonchus | December 27, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"Santa Claus Sampson! I know you are just looking for someone to talk to but BLATCHE DOES NOT PLAY INSIDE!!! He takes bad shots, way too much 1 on 1 play, and turns the ball over way too much! Now, why should he start over Lewis?Posted by: zack9633"

You mistake my point (should I be surprised?) Blatche is actually more effective inside than he is lofting jumpers. He's been really the only inside option the team has, since Yi hasn't been effective, and nobody expects Javale or Hilton to score much. The problem is that Andray prefers to range farther from the basket -- something the coaches have been addressing. He doesn't much like contact. When he sucks it up and stays around the goal, he seems to do better.

Rashard is actually a 3 point shooter by nature. He's OK when he plays inside but in the past hasn't liked it any better than Blatche. So we probably can't expect him to represent a big change there. He can start if they want him to -- the issue is the outcome, not a starting job.

BTW, is there something wrong with your exclamation point key? Is it going off by itself? It's like the caps key on some other posts. The more you use it, you know, the less impactful it is.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 27, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"".......We're a lottery regular and as long as we keep EG, we'll be just what the Knicks were when he was there!Posted by: zack9633"

What, a good defensive team with a winning record? Here's the Wiki on Ernie in NY:

"While Grunfeld was the Knicks top executive, New York advanced to at least the Conference Semifinals of the NBA Playoffs each season. He had five 50-plus win seasons, three Atlantic Division Championships, and two trips to the NBA Finals (in 1994 and 1999). In eight seasons as general manager or vice-president of player personnel, his Knicks teams had a record of 397–227 (.636), and a 61–44 record in the playoffs."

"At the time of his removal from his general manager post, during the 1998-1999 season, the team had a 21–21 record and were on the verge of not making the playoffs. They eventually got in with a 27–23 record. He was responsible for bringing every player on the Knicks' current roster to the team except for Patrick Ewing. Before the start of the season, he organized the trade of Charles Oakley to the Toronto Raptors for Marcus Camby, and John Starks to the Golden State Warriors for Latrell Sprewell. Many people blamed him for the Knicks' poor play. However, they came within 3 games of winning the championship, losing to the San Antonio Spurs in 5 games. At first it was said that he was being temporarily relieved of his duties as general manager. When the season ended with the result that came about, it was said that all was forgiven and he would be reinstated."

"However, he took the job as the Bucks' general manager on August 13, 1999, after 17 seasons with Knicks. He held the position for four seasons. The team’s 14 playoff wins during his tenure exceeded the team’s cumulative total in the 12 seasons prior to his arrival. The Bucks posted a record of 177–151 (.540), and never finished below .500, while making the playoffs three times."

I think that's what Abe was hoping for in Washington. And for a few seasons, looked like he might get it.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 27, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Building through consistent high draft picks equates to getting lucky. Not much of a plan, really. Just an excuse to keep losing on the promise of better days somewhere in the future based upon the pure luck of getting top picks when elite players are available.

There is no "Oklahoma City" model, that's just a nice marketing phrase GMs and Owners of loser teams can put forward as they preach continued patience and support. Of course, obviously patience is required....but the theory that losing is somehow good because it will make you better down the road is nonsense.

Posted by: divi3 | December 27, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"You mistake my point (should I be surprised?) Blatche is actually more effective inside than he is lofting jumpers." Posted by: Samson151

No, you're missing the "real" point. Blatche does not want to play inside. Will not mix it up in the paint. He prefers to shoot from the perimeter and avoid playing inside. How do you "make" him play inside when he feels him game is a perimeter game!!!!!! !!!!!! !!!!! Just check'n my explaination point !!!! !!!! It's woring fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: zack9633 | December 27, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

We can always count on SAMPSON151 to bring the PR for these incompetent people in our city. Grunfeld with his bad drafts, bad signings and his created culture of losing is with us for a long time and as his PR guy Sampson151 tells us: He's the best in the business so shut up everybody and take it.

Posted by: getjiggly2 | December 27, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse