Posted at 3:13 PM ET, 01/ 7/2011

Andray Blatche defends his game to Mike Wise

By Michael Lee

Andray Blatche is in the midst of a difficult slump, and has dealt with trade rumors and distractions off the court. But on Friday, Blatche took to defending himself on the Mike Wise Show. Dan Steinberg of the DC Sports Bog has the full transcript, but here are some of the more interesting quotes:

On being a finesse player:
"I'm more of a face-you-up, finesse player. That's the type of player I am. I mean, I can't force myself to be a different player that I'm not....I feel in the post, it's easy for me to face up guys because of my speed. Most bigs can't stay with me."
And his body?
"As far as my body, of course the foot injury [held him back], but besides that, I lift," Blatche said. "When I do lift, I'm the type of person, I don't see results at all. I mean, I tried everything, man. I got a chef so I could start getting as healthy as I could eat. I don't know what it is, man. I'm trying."
And the future?
"I'd definitely like to stay here," Blatche said. "Our record shows that we're a bad team, but we're not a bad team. I mean, every game we lose, it's in the fourth quarter. There's only one game we actually got blown out. All the other games, we're in it til the end, until we make critical young mistakes. If it weren't for the young mistakes, we'd have won half those games."

By Michael Lee  | January 7, 2011; 3:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fourth-quarter meltdown leads to 17th straight road loss
Next: Josh Howard to miss tonight's game vs. Nets

Comments

This team is having a rough season. I say let this group finish out the year Players and Coaches and GM. Go to the lottery maybe get big. Plus they have flexibility because a lot of these guys are playing on rookie and one year contracts. Some of the vets are also trade baits for playof contenders. But overall the defense has improved so let's play it out and see.

Posted by: bonggong | January 7, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

The only thing you can do is take a person for their word. If he says he lifts, I hope so and the proper way. Not just curls and benching. I can live with a players physical limitations. I know AB will never turn into Blake Griffin but I would thinks he should eventually get maybe 25% more leg strenth and explosion. Lets not even bring up his overall stamina.

Posted by: gmac78 | January 7, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Theres nothing wrong with his game because Dirk Nowitzki and Rashard Lewis are big men that shoot jumpers. However, Nowitzki is better than blatche in every category but rebounds. Whats wrong is Blatche's effort!

Posted by: jefferu | January 7, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

wow! this guy just lost all of my respect. its time for leonsis to really make changes. flip for letting blatche still be getting floor time with him feeling this way. what is a coach for? grunfeld if he doesnt get blatche out of here for AT LEAST a prospect/high pick by the trade deadline. the wizards will go nowhere with blatche on this team period! trade this guy for either JJ Hickson or OJ Mayo & Thabeet and let our young guys gain experience for next season.

Posted by: CantWait90 | January 7, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

This is utterly absurd and makes me wonder if he's in his living room with a shake weight.

If you are a living, breathing, human being...you will see results from lifting weights properly. Given he's a pro-athlete, it should be safe to assume someone is making sure he hits the weight room properly.

So either he is BSing, or the Wizards give the guys keys to the gym door and let'em go unsupervised

Posted by: divi3 | January 7, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"Other then Samson and kal (and their other pen names they post with) I haven't read anyone else who would be upset by firing Flip" Posted by: bulletsfan78

Yeah, fire Flip. That'll make Blatche get tough inside. Fire Flip, that'll make McGee learn to box out. Fire Flip, that'll make Wall play like a 7-year vet. Fire Flip, that'll turn Hilton Armstrong into Wes Unseld. Fire Flip, that'll make Booker grow 3 inches. Fire Flip, that'll mend Howard's ACL. Etc...

Posted by: mugsybol | January 7, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

On being a finesse player:

Considering the fact that AB spent his entire career behind AJ (who also was finesse player)and since the Wizard don't believe in big men coaches, I believe that has molded him into the type of player he is today.

Can he change?

I'm sure we'll hear from a few people who will tell us it's up to him become the next Kevin Garnett not the coaches or the team...

I want to ask them one question...

If it's up to the 25 year old player to do what it takes to become a better player on his own then how come a 55 year old coach with more then 15 years of NBA coaching experience can't get better?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 7, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Interesting part of the full transcript is Blatche says the coaches are fine with all his Js as long as they are falling, and that defensively he is doing what the coaches ask but fans don't realize it because they don't know the assignments.

Maybe maybe not, but it could explain why Blatche never sees his minutes cut.

Posted by: divi3 | January 7, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

This guy Andray Blatche has 2 go immediately before his attitude rubs off even more on the rest of the team. Flip Saunders has to be fired for allowing this guy to play when he doesnt give any effort. He should be traded for somebody like JJ Hickson and Varejoa, or somebody like OJ Mayo who has a lot of talent but needs an opportunity. The Wizards franchise wont go anywhere with Andray Blatche as a primary offensive weapon.

Posted by: Bigdrew3 | January 7, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Based on his reaction, everything is just fine except for the shooting slump. However, it's clear to the naked eye from his physique and his lack of hustle that he isn't dedicated to getting better. A guy who lacks strength hits the gym, and hits it hard. A guy who lacks stamina works his arse off to get in great shape. And a guy who wants to be a finesse big man hones his jumper. In 5 years, Blatche hasn't done any of those things even though they are obvious.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | January 7, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcinmd1 | January 7, 2011 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Note to Bigdrew3; I don't know that anyone will trade for the serial skirt chaser, i mean think about it why would you a smart GM trade for a career underachiever with a bad attitude. I don't see a guy like OJ Mayo helping this team yes he has an upside but he also has baggage just like Dray, at the end of the day Blatche is his own worst enemy.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 7, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

He should have gotten a personal trainer instead of a chef.

Posted by: zinger1 | January 7, 2011 5:03 PM | Report abuse

For the life of me I can't figure out why they have not traded him yet. He is just flat out undisciplined and in my opinion lazy.

Ted give's you what 30mil extension, and you can't keep your but out of the clubs during the season.

The guy is clueless, and it's time we stop talking about what if's and deal with what is.

Not saying he can't evalulate basketball talent, because Blatche def. has talent. But if you can't see what the problem with Blatche is, you shouldn't be making basketball decisions for anyone.

Posted by: kevenjones | January 7, 2011 5:16 PM | Report abuse

"This is utterly absurd and makes me wonder if he's in his living room with a shake weight" Posted by: divi3

Low Blow what are you trying to say about our boy AB . . . BTW Does that thing really work?

Posted by: zack9633 | January 7, 2011 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zack9633 | January 7, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zinger1 | January 7, 2011 5:37 PM | Report abuse

AB is not a damaged tenis shoes that one void it.All GMs will have the same feeling when they see how he is playing and when they evaluate his toxic approache to the game.He need to get a DNP card for one week and then need to come from the bench for the remainder of the month.both his body fat and attitude will improve.

Posted by: gtefferra | January 7, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

When Blatche first came into the league he played behind Jared J. He hustled and rebounded. Jared got traded and he played behind Jamison. Well guess who he plays like now.

Blatche needs a big man coach which Flip is not. If he doesn't respond to that get rid of him. He's out of shape and he has a chef c'mon. I think Blatche can be very good if he plays like a PF. We have 2 guys in Lewis and Blatche again that play the same way.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | January 7, 2011 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm having trouble staying with him.

I say we keep him around just for the comic relief.

"Our record shows that we're a bad team, but we're not a bad team. I mean, every game we lose, it's in the fourth quarter."

Fourth quarter, that's where most losses happen.

If it weren't for the young mistakes, we'd have won half those games."

And if it weren't for the same old mistakes they'd have won the other half.

Posted by: midlevex_ | January 7, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse

"Sounds like I inadvertently hit a nerve, although I can't imagine what it might have been. But let's not escalate, OK? Discussion over.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 7:50 AM | Report abuse "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 7, 2011 6:05 PM | Report abuse

The only common denominator for all these sorry seasons is Grunfeld. Why isn't there speculation on his job security? Where's the Post hype machine?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 7, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

This was funny, posted on the dunk contest article: "Forget the dunk contest, how about having a 3-5 foot baby hook contest? Or a push guys out of the way with your butt contest."

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 6:10 PM | Report abuse

And overreacting is yours. Now, back to the Wiz...

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe maybe not, but it could explain why Blatche never sees his minutes cut.Posted by: divi3"

Biggest reason: there's been nobody to replace him. Didn't help that Yi has been out. One big vulnerability going into the season was an overdependence on Blatche for inside offense. Then again he did fool a lot of people with his productivity at the end of last year. He looked like a better player then.

He does have a point however. He's never been a back to the basket player. Looks like he should be with his size, but it's not his nature.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Not every game, but a lot of them.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 6:20 PM | Report abuse

"Mike Lee has already reported, based on West Coast sources, that the Wiz are shopping Blatche. In my pipedream, the Kings agree to ship DeMarcus Cousins and Omri Casspi to the Wiz for Blatche and Armstrong. Maybe we could convince the Kings that they owe us that kind of deal after Mitch Richmond.Posted by: zinger1"

Right. You know the saying, to pull that off we'd need pictures of the Sacramento GM with a dead girl or a live boy...

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 6:22 PM | Report abuse

"I'm starting to think that Grunfield is having a problem identifying the obvious character flaws that existed on this team."

That's an interesting question: did Ernie fail to recognize the number of problem children on the Wiz roster over the past few seasons, or did he consciously decide to risk the consequences?

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 6:24 PM | Report abuse

"When you lose on the road to the Kings, errrr get blow out by the Kings, YOU ARE A BAD TEAM.I am tired of everyone trying to justify this team is not bad. YOU HAVE NOT WON A ROAD GAME and it is January. That is not a good team.Posted by: dcinmd1"

Um, I don't see anybody saying this team is not bad. Well, some of the players in Houston after they beat the Wiz, but nobody around here. It's a bad team, no question. The arguments are mostly about why.

By the way, anybody notice Denver getting whipped by the Kings the other night? 122-102. The Nugs were coming off a road loss to the Clips, 106-93.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 6:32 PM | Report abuse

...Grunfeld. Why isn't there speculation on his job security?

You're kidding right?

Posted by: midlevex_ | January 7, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse

""When you take words out of context and become confused...that's your fault. Give it a rest dude.Posted by: DC_MAN88"

And overreacting is yours. Now, back to the Wiz...

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse "

And stupidity is yours.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 7, 2011 8:16 PM | Report abuse

"You're kidding right?

Posted by: midlevex_ | January 7, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse "

So he's your GM for life.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 7, 2011 8:17 PM | Report abuse

So he's your GM for life.

Nihil ad rem, dude.

Posted by: midlevex_ | January 7, 2011 8:44 PM | Report abuse

"Nihil ad rem, dude.

Posted by: midlevex_ | January 7, 2011 8:44 PM | Report abuse "

FUUCK you too.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 7, 2011 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Giving away freebies and free samples is the best way for companies to introduce their products to you. Best place is "123 Get Samples" Best of all, there is no obligation on your part.

Posted by: rosadiaz08 | January 8, 2011 3:53 AM | Report abuse