Posted at 8:03 AM ET, 01/27/2011

Carmelo's spin, Nick's whirl, Gilbert's world

By Washington Post editors
Morning brew

After the Wizards lost to the Nuggets on Tuesday, Michael Lee talked to Denver star Carmelo Anthony about why he's not considering Washington as his next team.

Nick Young made an incredible 360-degree layup on Tuesday.

A confidential document offers a window into Gilbert Arenas's life with former girlfriend -- and mother of his three children -- Laura Govan and what could be a stupendously expensive court battle (Reliable Source).

Dan Steinberg offer his take on Andray Blatche saying he's the new Arenas.

AROUND THE WEB
Sean Fagan says the Wizards displayed a lack of preparedness against the Nuggets (Bullets Forever).

Former all-star Antoine Walker talks about toiling in the D-League, hoping for a chance to pay off his debts (Ken Berger, CBSSports.com).

John Wall moved up to second place in this week's Rookie Ladder. Someone named Blake is still at the top rung (NBA.com).

Sports Illustrated's Jeff Pearlman writes that Hilton Armstrong is a forgotten, end-of-the-bench nobody that you should root for.

Jay Glassie explains why more is required from the Wizards (ESPN980.com).

By Washington Post editors  | January 27, 2011; 8:03 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nick Young with another 360-degree layup
Next: Flip Saunders, JaVale McGee miss practice, Kirk Hinrich returns

Comments

The Sean Fagan Lack of Preparedness cutaway is a bit interesting I'd say. We have two players left from the Eddie Jordan coached years and still it seems that this Team doesn't have a clue about defense.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 27, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I see Denver shot 41% from the arc to win last night in Detroit. It was Billups doing most of the damage (6-9). Al Harrington went 2-9. I think they're second in 3 point percentage now.

Carmelo had 7 assists, while the 'guards' -- Billups, Lawson, and Afflalo -- had only 9 between them. Same with TOs. Anthony had 5, the three guards 1...

The Nuggs have to be pleased with how this road trip is shaping up.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 27, 2011 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"Is it coaching style and preparation, or is it that Mr. Grunfield has an uncanny knack for acquiring players that can't or know how to D?"

Or possibly not having their two most dedicated perimeter defenders available...

Posted by: Samson151 | January 27, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

that story on armstrong ends in a touching way. I'd still rather see Seraphin developing though and think it was a good move by flip to play Seraphin more mins. Even though he can't even put on a pair of shorts the right way

Posted by: jefferu | January 27, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

My take is that he hustle's and plays hard. I don't think you can call him a good defender. He gets shuck just as quickly as our boy Gilbert did. How many times have we seen him go one way and his man the other?

I give Hinrich credit for playing hard and hustling, but that doesn't necessarily equate to being a good defender.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 27, 2011 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Pearlman's SI.com story on Armstrong was a good read. A candid picture of the view from the far ends of an NBA bench.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 27, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Or possibly not having their two most dedicated perimeter defenders available

Can you name a single game this season where KH or JH shut anybody down? Slowed anybody down? Maybe Brandon Roy playing on one leg.

Posted by: divi3 | January 27, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zack9633 | January 27, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I like Armstrong, he should be getting more pt. At least he defends and tries. I'd like to see more Armstrong, Booker & Seraphin and less of Blatche and Yi. But that's just me.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 27, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

@Darnell1

I kinda agree but for some reason, he gets these DNP's and I don't understand why. Is it because of his play on defense because it's surely not his play on offense or has he gotten into the Flip doghouse for some unknown reason?

Posted by: zack9633 | January 27, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"Can anybody find a use for A Walker on this team or any team for that matter? Come on Ernie, sign him, you can't do much worse."

Posted by: zack9633 | January 27, 2011 12:08 PM

You're joking, right? Right?

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 27, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"You're joking, right? Right?"

100%

Posted by: zack9633 | January 27, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

"The list of opposition PGs who have absolutely torched Hinrich and Wall is a lengthy one, even Flip has stopped with his knee-jerk "it's javale's fault" responses as to why Jose Calderon and DJ Austine destroy us. And Raymond Felton. And Keyon Dooling. And Luke Ridnour. And Jrue Holiday. And....well, you get the point.Posted by: divi3"

LOL.

It's like you press a button and out comes the recorded message.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 27, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"Question for you Samson. Do you really think that Hinrich is a good defensive player?"LarryInClintonMD.Posted by: LarryInClintonMD"

Yes, I do.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 27, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

It's like you press a button and out comes the recorded message.

In other words, no, you can't name a single example of our "dedicated" perimeter defenders actually impacting opposition guards through their defensive play. No worries, I certainly didn't expect you'd be able to.

Posted by: divi3 | January 27, 2011 2:29 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards continue to get torched by one dimensional 6-10 players.

Harrington 6-8 from 3
Wilson Chandler 4-8 from 3
Frye 4-7 from 3

These guys will not be able to dribble around anybody, so if they're hovering around the three point arc, players should be smothering them.

Posted by: audacitea | January 27, 2011 2:37 PM | Report abuse

"...no, you can't name a single example of our "dedicated" perimeter defenders actually impacting opposition guards through their defensive play. No worries, I certainly didn't expect you'd be able to.Posted by: divi3"

LOL nothing you like better than arguing with something I didn't say. What I said was that I thought our 'most dedicated' perimeter defenders, Hinrich and Josh Howard, might have had something to do with the Nuggets' success from the perimeter. Please note I did not say they were our only perimeter defenders, nor always our best perimeter defenders, or even that they were always successful or would have been able to produce a victory. Just that they were our 'most dedicated'.

Which they are. They work hard at it, and with consistency.

TS35, who actually reads before responding, agreed that Howard might have made a difference but not Hinrich.

So I don't have to provide examples as you requested.

Not that you'd accept them anyway.

LOL.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 27, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"so if they're hovering around the three point arc, players should be smothering them.
Posted by: audacitea"

Good point. If that's true, you certainly have to wonder why we weren't.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 27, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

BTW, when LarryInClintonMD asks if I think Hinrich is a 'good defensive player', I answer, yes I do. If he'd asked me if Kirk were a great defender, I'd have said no.

But I tend to value hard work and consistency over the spectacular, so that may be why I value certain players more than others.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 27, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

MayBe if the wizards read the scouting report we can win 1 of the 4 road games on this trip. That has to be our goal since we've been so pathetic. I remember last year going into o/c thinking we had a better " big three" than them and they blew us out by twenty. I hope wall plays aggressive on both ends against Westbrook 2morrow.

Posted by: dcu99 | January 27, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcu99 | January 27, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if this team will win any of these up coming road games.
I do confess to a morbid fasination with seeing the 0 and whatever on the road Wiz at Cleveland Feb. 13th. Especially if Cleveland is still 0 for 2011.
At least that would create a buzz for an abomination of a game.

Posted by: bozomoeman | January 27, 2011 5:04 PM | Report abuse

LarryinClinton and Samson151 - Hinrich is a solid pro, he is just not worth $9M a year and by no means was a mentor to Rose as though he taught him everything Rose knows. As much as I don't like him, the Wiz would be better if they had 15 guys like him versus key cogs like Blatche and the other eternally young Wizards.

What about this. Hinrich's body language also tells me a lot about the Wiz. His body language tells me this organization is still dysfunctional. Be it the horrible shots or accepting the lack of effort, to often i see a look of disbelief or hopelessness on Hinrich's face. it was worst earlier in the year.

Posted by: oknow1 | January 27, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse