Posted at 9:16 PM ET, 01/16/2011

Josh Howard to visit specialist for left knee

By Michael Lee

Josh Howard's season was halted before it really got started, and he could be out a while longer with continued problems with his surgically repaired left knee. Howard will not be with the Washington Wizards as they host the Utah Jazz on Monday afternoon. Instead he will visit with Dr. David Altcheck at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York to receive treatment for tendinitis in his left knee.

Howard first had a setback with tendinitis in November, which delayed his season debut, but after receiving a pain-relieving cortisone injection, he will have to sit out at least a week before he's evaluated again. He didn't want to estimate how long he would be sidelined, but intimated that he might not be back when the Wizards travel to face his former team, the Dallas Mavericks, on Jan. 31.

"It's not my concern," said Howard, who has yet to face Dallas since he arrived before the trade deadline last season. "I know I'll be here next year or somewhere playing, I'm not worried about [playing in Dallas]. Getting healthy is my No. 1 concern."

Howard missed the first 24 games of the regular season recovering from knee surgery to repair a torn left anterior cruciate ligament. He played six games and helped raise the intensity of the team, especially on the defensive end, before being forced to sit out after developing soreness in his knee in the first half of a loss to Indiana on Dec. 31. He returned to play 12 minutes in the first half against Philadelphia on Jan. 5, but experienced more discomfort and has missed five consecutive games.

"Nothing to discover, just going to get a shot I've been talking about for a month or two now. I hope I can get some good results with it," said Howard, who is averaging 7.9 points and 3.3 rebounds in eight games this season. "Nothing different, nothing out of the ordinary. Just another way to handle my tendon problem, my tendinitis. It's a really bad case."

With Howard sidelined, the Wizards have relied more Al Thornton, who has averaged 10.8 points on 58.3 percent shooting and 4.6 rebounds in 23.4 minutes the past five games.

By Michael Lee  | January 16, 2011; 9:16 PM ET
Categories:  Josh Howard
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Yi Jianlian dunks, Nick Young scores and the Wizards beat another bad team at home
Next: Wizards prepare for rare afternoon game vs. Jazz

Comments

J. Howard is slowly becoming, if not already a bust for this team.

Posted by: SkinzFanzz | January 16, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Josh Howard is the least of our concerns right now. The Wizards have a lot of options, all needing work. Throw the young guys in, give Josh and some others time to heal.

Posted by: zinger1 | January 16, 2011 10:12 PM | Report abuse

J. Howard is slowly becoming, if not already a bust for this team.

Posted by: SkinzFanzz | January 16, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zinger1 | January 16, 2011 10:12 PM | Report abuse

My vote's with a zinger. Let BOOK get some burn with THORNTON.

Don't we have a roster spot, and two expiring options? Pick up a solid pg to run with WALL. HINRICH ain't the man.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 16, 2011 11:01 PM | Report abuse

"Howard: I worked with Hakeem for three days. But I could go work with Michael Jordan and I'm not going to be Michael Jordan, so it didn't really matter who and how long I worked with somebody. The other things ... spending extra time in the gym, going to the gym every night and making a thousand shots before I leave, every time I went overseas [to China, India and Africa] -- whatever I did -- I finished [the day] with working out in the gym and working on everything. And then just having the confidence to do it in a game. I will give Hakeem and [Magic assistant] Patrick [Ewing] credit for helping me get to where I'm at, but it's hard work. I put in a lot of work to get to where I'm at."

Found this on Espn.com. It might help Mcgee to get a big man to help him improve but like dwight said, its about how much you dedicate yourself to the gym and your craft. While it wouldn't hurt to bring in Ewing or Hakeem i think Javale just needs time and more work.

Random comment for this thread but this topic comes up often on here.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | January 16, 2011 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Pick up a solid pg to run with WALL.

Young's doing fine. Another combo guard would be nice, but I don't see how finding a PG to "run with Wall" should be a priority. That's not even desirable.

Posted by: djnnnou | January 16, 2011 11:25 PM | Report abuse

If Anthony gets traded along with Billups any chance they want to blow up the whole team? Maybe we could find a way to get NeNe and we could move Mcgee to PF like some posters have asked for. Most likely won't happen but I feel like NeNe is a realistic choice for this team and we would benefit greatly.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | January 16, 2011 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Seraphin hasn't participated in a training camp yet, the Wizards will probably draft another big this summer, and they're already paying Rashard's salary. I've read that Denver wants to keep Nene. That could just be posturing, but he only has another year on his deal(player's option).

Posted by: djnnnou | January 17, 2011 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Ts35.

33rd degree is common to freemasonry, not 133rd degree. There is a difference.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

Yep, my fault. Crossed it up with the 133rd Psalm which is central to freemasonry.

Posted by: ts35 | January 17, 2011 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Pick up a solid pg to run with WALL.

Posted by: djnnnou | January 16, 2011 11:25 PM | Report abuse

You misunderstood my meaning. We need another pg to spell WALL and give him rest. LESTER HUDSON was never an option and HINRICH can't both be pg and sg with YOUNG.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 17, 2011 8:31 AM | Report abuse

"J. Howard is slowly becoming, if not already a bust for this team.Posted by: SkinzFanzz"

Guess you'd have to define 'bust'. We saw a few good seasons from Gilbert Arenas, but dating from his last contract, that was pretty much a bust. Injuries played a big part in it, of course.

Thing about the Josh Howard trade, we could see going in that it was unbalanced in favor of the Mavs. Howard had been struggling with missed time for two years. Mark Cuban was openly surprised at getting Haywood in addition to Butler. Stevenson was a throw-in. Washington's intent had to be house-cleaning. Otherwise there's no rationale for that swap. Maybe they had hopes for Josh but seriously, they had to know the risk. They can read injury reports.

So why'd they make the trade? More about getting rid of players than acquiring them.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 17, 2011 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I think we've found the secret to Howard's improvement.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 17, 2011 8:47 AM | Report abuse

"Ts35.33rd degree is common to freemasonry, not 133rd degree. There is a difference.
LarryInClintonMD.Posted by: LarryInClintonMD"

That Larry is a stickler for accuracy. Except for the 'spelling game', of course.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 17, 2011 9:02 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.Posted by: LarryInClintonMD"

Posted by: Samson151 | January 17, 2011 9:02 AM

Funny, Samson151. But actually, TS35 is a very wise man.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 17, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

"Funny, Samson151. But actually, TS35 is a very wise man.LarryInClintonMD.Posted by: LarryInClintonMD"

Please note the above is spelled correctly.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 17, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Get a second opinion Josh.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 17, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: djnnnou | January 17, 2011 12:07 AM | Report abuse

We're not at the point where we need a vet like Nene to put us over the top. If we're going to raid the nuggets for pieces based on where the Wiz are now, I like Birdman as a backup/mentor to McGee a lot better. He is probably the only comparable player in the league to McGee. So if we are looking to establish an "Identity" as Ted says then splitting the C spot 35-65 between Birdman & McGee for the next 4 years could be pretty neat.

If the Nuggets are looking to clear space, we can swap Yi's expiring for Birdman's 4 years.

Posted by: cballer | January 17, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

"Howard &/or insert name here ________ missed the first 24 games &/or 1st half of season/entire season/career ending/select 1 insert here: _________ (never)recovering from knee surgery to repair a torn left anterior cruciate ligament &/or click on drop down box for listing of additional ailments insert here ______________."

insert name here _________ was pulled over on Wisconsin Ave. last night regarding a DUI/DWI/Carrying multiple (un-licensed) hand guns &/or click on drop down box for listing of WMD's insert here ___________.

In other news The Wiz will select 7th in this years NBA Draft Lottery when their ping pong ball mysteriously, click on drop down box for choice of dissapeared/exploded/was assaulted by the Sacramento Kings ping pong ball/pulled a Hammy prior to being sucked up the intake pipeline; insert here _____________. Finally did we mention The Lakers & Kobe Bryant are coming to town! Kobe has Flu like symptoms though and will not play against the Wizards / Le boulez' but Allen Iverson who recently signed a 3 day contract with LA is expected to torch The Wiz for 61 pts. 11 boards & 10 assists arriving at the Phone Booth 1 hour after landing on his flight in town from Turkey. Iverson, who had a bad piece of fish on the flight overseas & himself has stomach flu like symptoms will attend a postgame practice ("Practice?! are we talkin bout Practice?!") to sign vintage Gtown Hoya jersey's and Memphis Grizzly collectables...

This 'sound-bite' should be painted on the lecturn below any new player joining 'The Wiz / Le Boulez' via a trade & being introduced to the media day 1.

Posted by: Zipfutbol | January 17, 2011 9:36 PM | Report abuse