Posted at 1:26 AM ET, 01/12/2011

Nick Young has career night as Wizards pull out wacky win

By Michael Lee

Of course, the guy wearing No. 1 would do this on 1/11/11. (Photo by Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post)

Nick Young made a three-pointer from the left corner in the third quarter and bobbed his head from side-to-side. He rebounded a miss by Rashard Lewis and hit another three-pointer from almost the same spot and nodded his head as he ran down the floor on defense. Young was clearly in good groove, with the rim seemingly expanding nearly every time he elevated to shoot.

So when Young decided to take another three-pointer moments later, the Washington Wizards, Sacramento Kings and fans at Verizon Center all knew what the result would be: It went in. Young said the basket resembled a "hula hoop" on Tuesday, as he scored a career-high 43 points to help the Wizards defeat the Kings, 136-133 in overtime, in one of the wackiest games that I've ever seen.

Young scored 13 points in the first eight minutes and I joked that he was on pace to score 78 points. Apparently, Coach Flip Saunders had a similar thought. "You almost didn't want to take him out because he was so hot," Saunders said about Young, who shot 14 of 22 and was 7 of 10 from beyond the three-point line. "I have always had that philosophy that you never want to take a guy out that might have a chance to break Wilt Chamberlain's record."

Young didn't come close to Chamberlain's 100 point-game, but the Wizards probably set a new record for cringe-inducing plays. They provided yet another clinic on what-not-to-do to close out a basketball game. They couldn't inbound the ball. They fouled three-point shooters. And they missed free throws in the closing seconds. The Wizards managed to let the Kings go on a 7-1 run -- in the final 14 seconds of regulation -- to force overtime, and they nearly blew a five-point lead in the final 26 seconds, before barely surviving.

About all that worked in the Wizards' favor was that they played against a team that was (slightly) worse than them. But they won, which Saunders hopes will lead to more success down the road, possibly on the road, where they are 0-18. "Maybe that's what we need to do, to have a game like this, to have guys make plays, and carry that through, so that when we get on the road and things are bad, we know we can still fight through it," Saunders said.

But Saunders added that he had never seen anything like that in 15 years in the NBA (an all-too-familiar refrain since he's been in Washington). Lewis said he'd never seen anything like that in his 13 years in the NBA. Andray Blatche, who was forced to leave in the fourth quarter with a sprained right shoulder, said he saw something like it...four weeks ago?

"The Miami game," Blatche said, recalling how the Wizards squandered a five-point lead in the final 32 seconds.

I never thought the Wizards could top the bizarre finish they had against the Heat on Dec. 18, when they allowed Miami to outscore them 6-1 in the final 18 seconds without making one field goal. If the Wizards had lost to the Kings, it would've been the worst of many bad losses this season, because Sacramento doesn't have closers comparable to LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. It's a little tougher to swallow when the knockout blows are delivered by -- no disrespect to these guys -- Francisco Garcia and Pooh Jeter.

DeMarcus, I don't think we'll ever forget our first game against each other. (Photo by Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post)

Fortunately, the Wizards didn't have to worry about that, as they found a way to make plays, especially Kirk Hinrich, who overcame a shaky second period -- when the Wizards blew a 19-point lead -- to score all 14 of his points in the fourth quarter and overtime. Hinrich was part of two costly plays late, as Garcia snuck behind him to steal Lewis's rushed pass in the fourth quarter and he lost the ball of his leg in overtime. But Hinrich also had a critical steal when the Kings attempted to tie the game with six seconds left.

"Kirk was huge. I thought that Kirk didn't play as well early because John [Wall] and Nick played so well we wanted them in a lot. For him to be able to come in late and do the job that he did and make the plays he did, and hit big free-throws, and defensively he really did a good job.

This was truly an up-and-down game, as the Wizards and Kings alternated good play and poor play depending on the period. The Wizards took the odd numbers, scoring 38 in the first and 40 in the third. The Kings took the evens, scoring 37 in the second and 43 in the fourth. The Wizards outscored the Kings in the fifth period, or rather overtime, 10-7.

"This was probably one of, next to the 76ers game and this is probably better than the 76ers game, one of the craziest games that I've ever played in," said Wall, who scored 22 points with nine assists and was forced to sit the final 2:49 after developing leg cramps, despite all of the Gatorade he drank.

It was no coincidence that the Wizards' high scoring quarters overlapped with Young's scoring outbursts. He was lethal in the third period, when he scored the final 16 of the period and made four three-pointers. Young said his high scoring night was a response to a phone call from his father, Charles.

"I talked to my dad before the game and he told me the stats he wanted me to get for him; 40 points, ten rebounds, and five assists. I was like, dad, that's impossible right now. But it kind of worked out, except for the ten rebounds but I made up for it with 43."

Young left the arena with the game ball, claiming that he was going to frame it, right along with his game tape, his shorts and shoes. "I don't know what it was. It was just a blessing. I felt good out there. It was just a great moment for me," he said.

He couldn't include his jersey, because he placed it down at center court and took a bow, taking a cue from Gilbert Arenas, who did a similar routine after scoring a career-high 60 points against the Los Angeles Lakers four seasons ago. "I seen Gil do that in LA. I thought it would be something cool. I did the bow, because the fans had been there for me. I had to win to do that," Young said. "I've been through so much here. To have a moment like that, it's like, I keep fighting, keep fighting."

Young promised that he would keep the celebration going by talking and talking. "I'm going to talk trash to my teammates," he said. "Might give Gil a call, talk trash. It's going to be a lot of talking trash going on."

It's allowed after a win. No matter how crazy.

By Michael Lee  | January 12, 2011; 1:26 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Open thread: Wizards (9-26) vs. Kings (8-26)
Next: Andray Blatche doubtful against Minnesota with right shoulder sprain

Comments

Y'know how I always say there's no such thing as a bad win? Weeellllll . . .

That was exciting. The Wizards had no business winning that game. None. And it might have been better for them if they'd lost, because now they don't even get the negative reinforcement that would come from choking away a win as a result of their litany of titanic blunders. I mean, everybody knows someone who just screws up big time in a situation where the consequences should be dire but somehow manages to paying any cost and, as a result, instead of walking away thinking, "Damn, that cost was too high, I better not do that again" they walk away thinking, "Damn, it's like I'm made of kevlar and teflon with a lucky leprechaun on my shoulder. Yay me!"

I hope everyone caught COY Randy Wittman jumping off the bench like he was shot out of a cannon after the Kings scored the last bucket in regulation, tearing into McGee. So much for all the happy talk.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 12, 2011 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I signed off with them ahead 6 with however many seconds left so I could make my poker game. I saw the final score and thought - what the hell happened! Only the Wizards.

Posted by: rphilli721 | January 12, 2011 3:08 AM | Report abuse

This team is bipolar.Scores and squeak out a win at home and play dead on the road.Can the NBA just get rid of this team?What a waste!!!

Posted by: joe12341 | January 12, 2011 4:37 AM | Report abuse

Anyone catch the Cavs game? They put up 57 points for all 4 quarters

Posted by: daigunder | January 12, 2011 5:07 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone having trouble with Verizon Fios? In my area (Annapolis) they keep taking long commercial breaks during the middle of the action. I missed over two minutes of over-time action and much of Nick Young's run in the third quarter.

I don't even know who to complain to apart from Verizon. It seems that a legal issue should be involved because I am paying for the channels to function properly, i.e., don't cut away during the middle of the action for a five minute comercial break.

This has been going on for over a week now.

Posted by: MeviousMan | January 12, 2011 5:28 AM | Report abuse

Well said kal, well said.

Posted by: bazookajoe1 | January 12, 2011 6:54 AM | Report abuse

I saw a rerun of that last play in regulation. Only saw it once. The question I have is wasn't another defender closer to the play initially to help on the drive before the Kings player got all the way to the backboard?

If that is so, why is it that McGee has to be the total blame. Unless big men are allowed to camp in the lane like in the Russell years and they can't anymore, the responsibility for help on a quick play like that has to go to the nearest defender and not necessarily by position, just because McGee is the Center.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 12, 2011 7:22 AM | Report abuse

And the flip side of it, you had to notice that John Wall could not shake his man for a drive to basket. Apparently, his defender knew how to play defense with his feet and keep Wall from driving to the basket.

When the Kings player layed the ball in to tie the score his defender was in no position at all. He was completely out of the play. Hell, who is helping McGee. In case folks are not aware, the easiest way for your Center to help is to have the player whom is driving to be tightly contested thereby making it easier and more timely for McGee to help.

If the driver jucks/fakes his defender on the first move, as mostly appears with the Wizard defenders, and breaks clean uncontested to the basket it becomes damn near impossible for McGee to help with the added burden of guarding his man too.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 12, 2011 7:37 AM | Report abuse

"I am so sick of these Wizard perimeter defenders not playing basic D by moving their feet to cut off easy drives to the basket and McGee always getting blamed for their porous defense."

Yes, Wall had serious defensive problems. That doesn't mean McGee didn't.

Posted by: fansincebullets | January 12, 2011 8:12 AM | Report abuse

........And in D-league action last night sports fans, it was the WIZARDS 136 - KINGS 133. That concludes tonight's basketball round-up from the NBA. Night all........ Heard on local sports show.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 12, 2011 8:16 AM | Report abuse

".....If that is so, why is it that McGee has to be the total blame....." Larry in Clinton

Relax Larry, there's plenty of blame to go around from the front office on down.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 12, 2011 8:21 AM | Report abuse

That was not exactly a sterling defensive effort for either team. Kings' coaches are probably sending the same message: 'you gave up HOW MANY points?'

I'm pretty sure I saw Gilbert and Antawn out there on the court, waving at the bull as he charged past.

Pretty much a complete reversal of the improved defense we've seen of late. I guess Nick was hot and everybody decided to just play along and see where it took us. You have to admit it was an exciting game, provided you could slip nitroglycerin under your tongue every so often.

It's an anomaly. That's still not a high-scoring team. Wiz will return to recent form.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 12, 2011 8:22 AM | Report abuse

.......And in D-league action last night sports fans, it was the WIZARDS 136 - KINGS 133."

That was more Summer League.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 12, 2011 8:24 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 12, 2011 7:22 AM | Report abuse

I could've sworn you said people should play defense with no help. Man to man with no help. So that's what you wanted right?

I'd rather have JaVale helping guard the rim than bodying up DeMarcus Cousins 15-17 feet from the basket.

Just my opinion though.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 12, 2011 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I don't think I've ever seen a game with so much good basketball mixed with many boneheaded plays. It was like some of those Y youth league games that I've coached.

Out here in the country the short quick explaination of Kal's analogy is, "That guy just pulled a golden horseshoe out of his butt!".

Plain and simple without some of Hinrich's heady plays down the stretch that game was lost. But his steal to save the game came after he dribbled into a double team in the corner and got stripped. Truthfully he was fouled on the play, but a vet should have stayed away from the sideline and half court line.

That's one of the first things we teach those Y kids when you bring the ball up.

Blatche played a strong game on the boards and made a real nice hustle play forcing the jump ball when he hurt his shoulder. Then with a bad shoulder, he went up and won the jump ball, only to have the Wiz lose it on a steal. If the Wiz would have controlled that ball Blatche might have been the hero of the game.

Nick Young has matured into that starting role, the guy was just smokin em last night, but he's also improving on the little facets of the game that will keep him in the game when the hoop grows a lid.

The Wizards seriously need another guard with really good ball skills, when Wall was gassed at the end they needed another guy out there to handle the ball. With Yi back they are seriously over populated with forwards. I'd expect to see another move for a guard soon.

GM

Posted by: flohrtv | January 12, 2011 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Head coach Flip Saunders had 2 timeouts and a 6 point lead with 23.8 sec left in the game and Flip chose to inbound the ball under the basket twice. Not until after the second turnover on the inbound pass that he decided to use the timeouts and move the ball up to half court. He should have at least learnt this from the Miami game. Unbelievable

Posted by: spades72 | January 12, 2011 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Like one of those football games where the announcer says, "The Lions desperately tried to give the game away late, but the Tigers stubbornly refused to take it."

Posted by: Samson151 | January 12, 2011 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I hope everyone caught COY Randy Wittman jumping off the bench like he was shot out of a cannon after the Kings scored the last bucket in regulation, tearing into McGee?

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

John wall has no lateral movement whatsoever. With a 2 point lead and 3.6 sec left in the game Jeter went around Wall with ease to tie up the game and send it into over-time. Dude should sit down until he is a 100% healthy.

Posted by: spades72 | January 12, 2011 9:02 AM | Report abuse

"Leonsis had to be sitting there in a half empty arena, watching his team implode against one of the worst teams in the league, and thinking "how much did I pay for this team?"..."

I imagne he wasn't. Unlike some folks, Ted's been through the pro sports wringer before, and had a notion what this season would turn out to be like.

He made a reasonably good deal on the team and the arena, and the rest is about TV, and the future.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 12, 2011 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Ted might have permitted himself this thought: "Wow, am I ever glad I'm not Dan Gilbert."

Posted by: Samson151 | January 12, 2011 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I guess your typical defense of AB could apply here huh?

Nobody knows what the coaches actually told them to do.

Right?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 12, 2011 9:05 AM | Report abuse

"Meanwhile, not word was said to Wall- the true culprit on the play. Perks of being #1 overall I guess.Posted by: divi3"

LOLOL... yeah, it's a conspiracy against Javale...

Posted by: Samson151 | January 12, 2011 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Sampson151 as always, coming with propaganda from the Wiz marketing dept... WEAK!
Seraphin ROY!
Grunfeld Exec of Year!
LOL

Posted by: member8 | January 12, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I guess your typical defense of AB could apply here huh?

Nobody knows what the coaches actually told them to do.

Right?

So every basket is Mcgee's fault right? If he leaves Cousins who then scores, everyone complains about going for blocks and blah blah blah. Come on....PG Beno Udrich goes for 26pts on 10-13 FG, PG Pooh Jetter waltzes unimpeded for the game tying layup while they're in man D...and it's Javale?

Wall's defense was atrocious on that play and for much of the night. Maybe he is hurt, because his lateral movement is terrible...exemplified by Pooh just abusing him.

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 9:21 AM | Report abuse

If Wall had impeded jeter in the slightest bit, Mcgee would have been there to alter or block the shot. No doubt Javale was up on Cousins probably more than he needed to be, but "help" is one thing and "cover 2 different players by yourself" is another.

Anyway, defense was obviously not the theme of that game!

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 9:27 AM | Report abuse

"So every basket is Mcgee's fault right?"

But, um, nobody said that, did they?

Posted by: Samson151 | January 12, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Never said it was anyones fault or say anything about any other bucket.

Like when AB let Rondo WALK to the basket and watched...or let Ariza WALK to the rim and watched...you find a way to blame the coaching. "It's probably what they told him to do."

So same thing applies here. You don't know what JaVale was instructed to do. I'd personally rather have Cousins taking a 17 foot jumper with time expiring...hell even a foul would have been better.

So maybe Wittman had a REASON for going straight to Javale. I mean especially since he's a better coach than Flip and all right?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 12, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse

"If Wall had impeded jeter in the slightest bit, Mcgee would have been there to alter or block the shot."

Well, we can hope so. We can imagine that if Kirk or Nick had been guarding Jeter, he wouldn't have made it into the lane. Or if Josh Howard had played, he would have been available to help.

We can also imagine that if we had a better decision-maker at center, he would have been in position to make the play.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 12, 2011 9:35 AM | Report abuse

you find a way to blame the coaching. "It's probably what they told him to do."

Except of course, I never said that.

He probably does have a reason, I never said he didnt. I said Wall was clearly the main culprit on that play...not that Mcgee had no responsibility. My point was noting that while Wittman blasted Javale....Flip said nothing to Wall. So yeah, maybe Wittman is a better coach!

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

you find a way to blame the coaching. "It's probably what they told him to do."

Except of course, I never said that.

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I apologize. I don't want to misquote you on the defense. The resistance to the post game is when it's he's doing what he's told...because Flip doesn't actually want him in the post.

So the fact that McGee DID get an earful must be a sign of something....right?

it DOES look like everybody played it as if Rondo would pass no matter what. As was said yesterday, guess only Flip knows what he wanted right there and the fact AB didnt get an earful may be a sign of something.

Posted by: divi3 | November 19, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 12, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I've always been interested in games where shooters feel like they can't miss. They use the same terminology: the rim seemed like a 30 gallon wastebasket, or a hula hoop. Or they talk about launching bombs when they couldn't see the basket, and having it go in anyway. I don't know of a parallel in football or hockey, but in baseball, it's the hitter or pitcher who's in the zone.

A sports psychologist who works with pro athletes once told me it's probably a form of extreme mental relaxation, bordering on autohypnosis. Something has happened to convince the player (over his own internal objections) that this is his night, and all he has to do is relax and enjoy it. The hits will fall into the gaps, the improbable scoop layups off the top of the backboard will somehow drop through. He needn't control the process. He knows it won't last, but that's reassuring -- might as well keep shooting.

Some sports psychologists use self-hypnosis in an attempt to duplicate the process. The give the player a routine to follow, including visualization, while he's in the dugout or the on-deck circle. More difficult to do in basketball, but I've heard of players running through mental routines on the bench or in the locker room.

Does it work? Probably not as well as the natural process of finding yourself 'in the zone'.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 12, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Why did Wall (with his speed) let the guy just zoom past him for such an easy layout that tied the game. I know he was expecting some help (McGee). But with Wall's speed he should have been able to not let the guy get around him.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | January 12, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

The wizards on the ball defense is terrible at best.

Posted by: dc202jp | January 12, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

NBA-TV had one angle on that drive. At the top the play when the Kings guard made his first move by Wall you could see McGee in the background make a simultaneous move to the basket.

However, the angle was not in McGee's favor and he had no chance of protecting the basket. If Wall had impeded Pooh for a second it would have given McGee time to get in position.

On that play, McGee would have already of had to be standing under the basket without regard to his own man from the outset.

Just what kind of defense is these guys teaching?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 12, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Re: Whittman yelling at McGee.

Based on my limited lip reading skills, I thought he was berating him for almost inbounding the ball to Wall when they had a timeout remaining.

This sounds crazy, but I thought Blatche played excellent help defense yesterday.

And spades72 is right, how many blown inbounds attempts does it take Flip before he calls timeout so they can inbound at midcourt?

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | January 12, 2011 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fearturtle44

----

who knows? maybe it was the cramps, maybe his leg's still really bothering him.

he had a tough night all around. there were certainly some decision problems. looked like the rookie he is.

Posted by: MinuMang | January 12, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fearturtle44

----

who knows? maybe it was the cramps, maybe his leg's still really bothering him.

Posted by: MinuMang | January 12, 2011 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Re: Whittman yelling at McGee.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | January 12, 2011 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 12, 2011 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm happy for Nick and the win, but imho, nobody on a 10-26 NBA team should "talk trash" about scoring 43 on the worst team in the NBA, just like a 6-10 NFL team's defensive players shouldn't strut and preen like peacocks after every routine tackle. :p

Posted by: blackjack65 | January 12, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: flohrtv

Dribbling into that double-team was not a great move, but I think he was concerned about getting the ball over the half court line. What I also noticed was that no one really came to help and give him an outlet. Lewis did a little bit, and Martin did late, but too late. Young meanwhile had his feet nailed to the floor in the far corner behind the 3-pt line. Creating an outlet for a teammate who is being double-teamed is hopefully the second thing you teach. So, not a great play by KH, but not a great play by everyone else, either.

I did think Flip could have done more to help the guys on the out-of-bounds plays. Lots of running around, but I didn't see a lot of picks being said to get guys space. I'm also not sure why Rashard didn't take a TO instead of forcing the pass under the basket to KH.

It would have been nice to see someone rotate over to help Wall on that last play, but I think everyone was a bit surprised by the ease with which Jeter blew by him. I know I was. Don't know if he was hurting or not playing full attention. The way Jeter went by, I thought for a moment that Wall let him go by as if they were up by 3. Not sure if anyone could have gotten over in time. And as it was going, probably good that no one did, because it would have ended up being an And-1 to win, instead of just the two to tie.

Wildly inconsistent game, but about what you'd expect from these two teams. Were they playing a better team than the Kings, they likely lose that game, imo. That beign said, maybe it helps them realize the focus they need to maintain to close out games. Someone earlier (Kalo maybe) mentioned that it might have been better if they had lost, in order to feel the consequences more. On one level I agree (at least with the idea as I wrote it, not sure if it's exactly what was said), but at the same time, they've had more than enough negative examples, maybe a little success in the face of (self-induced) adversity will serve them better. Who knows?

Posted by: ts35 | January 12, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

Posted by: spades72 | January 12, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: spades72 | January 12, 2011 8:36 AM | Report abuse
Finally..someone points out Flip's blunders in this and the Miami game. No reason to inbound the ball under your own basket when you hae timeouts that move you to home court. Why didn't any of the reporters call Flip on that last night in the post game interview? I would love to have heard his response. Wizards also shot very good at the line last night. Get the ball to half court--game over.

Posted by: ptp09 | January 12, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: spades72 | January 12, 2011 8:36 AM | Report abuse
Finally..someone points out Flip's blunders in this and the Miami game. No reason to in bound the ball under your own basket when you hae timeouts that move you to half court. Why didn't any of the reporters call Flip on that last night in the post game interview? I would love to have heard his response. Wizards also shot very good at the line last night. Get the ball to half court--game over.

Posted by: ptp09 | January 12, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

blatche played a solid game. after all his problems, nice to see.

Posted by: MinuMang | January 12, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: blackjack65 | January 12, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

-------------------

Yes, he should just accept that he's a loser and not take pride in a solid performance. That's what being part of a losing culture is all about.

As long as he keeps producing, he can talk about whatever he wants in my book.

Posted by: crs-1 | January 12, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: spades72 | January 12, 2011 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Well, he had the timeouts when he needed them most. Perhaps he wouldn't have needed them if he had already used them, but that's monday morning quarterbacking

The fact is, six points with twenty three seconds is more than enough. all you have to do is inbound the ball and get fouled. there is no placing that on anybody but the players. Sure, flip could have offered them a crutch to make their job easier by calling a timeout. but there's no excuse for not being able to execute an inbounds play.

Posted by: crs-1 | January 12, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"I thought that's what it was too. I thought he actually inbounded the ball though...refs kinda bailed them out."

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 12, 2011 10:12 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought the chewing out was about. And I thought McGee threw it in as well. I guess the refs decided that the sidelines time out call came before McGee tossed the ball in.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 12, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

The win came mainly by the over time effort of KH, his baskets in over time and his steal in the last minute contribute a lot.JW is change his game when he join NBA, I know him as one of the best defensive PG , is it injury? coaching? or attitude?

Posted by: gtefferra | January 12, 2011 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gtefferra | January 12, 2011 11:22 AM | Report abuse

That was all they had to do against Miami, and the same thing happened. The TO isnt a crutch, it's a good strategic move when you see what's about to happen. It looks like they are playing only to get the foul, so the ball is going to either Nick or Kirk. Once that's not available, there should be a second option. Like launching the ball to someone streaking downcourt, or calling a TO to bail out.

Same thing on the Hinrich TO, the whistle was assumed and when it didnt come a bad result ensued.

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Dumbest coaching staff in all of the NBA, THAT'S A FACT JACK!!(LMAO!!).

Posted by: dargregmag | January 12, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

So Wall will practice today and just had cramping....he really couldnt go at all after coming out? No way to hydrate and get back in there? I hope Flip preferred to keep him out, rather than he didnt try to get back in.

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I blame Flip for not calling time-outs and for consistently not designing better inbound plays. Why would you have all 5 guys condensed into such a small space? Flip has no one to blame but himself.

Posted by: chillwill1 | January 12, 2011 11:31 AM | Report abuse

And there are not many players in the league who get hot like Nick does, I mean really, his shot is a thing of beauty. Nothin But Net Nick. Swoosh. There are very few players with his pure shooting talent, it's really something. Hope we don't lose him, the vindication he's likely feeling now (justified or not) may to be helpful in re-upping him

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

On a Side Note weve been discussing on another Wiz board about how NY's trade value will never be as high as it is right now. What are you guys thoughts about this? Here is what I said in response:

IDK about that. Ive thought about it too but you are probably not going to get anyone in a trade that will be as valuable as NY is in the future. He probably still has a higher ceiling to reach, is the prototype SG, holds his own on both ends of the floor even against greats like Kobe & Wade, while he's also the perfect and I mean perfect fit beside Wall.

On top of that, most teams probably feel just like you guys in that they are iffy about giving NY big money so you still could probably resign him for pretty cheap and you know he wants to stay here. BTW, I think he could win MIP this year

Posted by: dlts2041 | January 12, 2011 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Before we start handing out Nick Young T-shirts he scored 43 against the Kings,THE KINGS mind you they are worse than the Wizards. I like Nick but let's not get goofy when he can score against the Jazz,Celts,Lakers,Heat, in other words the elite of the league and when he can lead this bunch of sorry azz chumps to some W's then get back to me.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 12, 2011 12:07 PM | Report abuse

NY scored 20 at Boston on 9-15 shooting.

He scored 20 at Atlanta on 8-14 shooting.

21 against Orlando on 8-15 shooting.

scored 30 at Kobe's house on 13-23 shooting.

You cant knock him for us losing. He's been consistent. You just arent going to win with Wall hurt, Howard hurt, and both Gil & Dray playing like crap all year

Posted by: dlts2041 | January 12, 2011 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Not to take anything away from NY but the Kings defense against him in the second half was pretty much a joke. He was standing wide open on all those 3's with the Kings just watching him.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | January 12, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@dlts2041,

I would not trade Nick..With the right veteran in the lockeroom, and some defensive effort NY could be an All-Star easily. And he seems to not be a problem in the lockeroom as well.

I like Nick just want to seem him play on both ends of the floor EVERY night.

And NY should lead this team in scoring, not AB...

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 12, 2011 12:47 PM | Report abuse

kalo_rama ,

I agree, just saying Nick has the talent to be noteworthy. He just needs to work harder on the defensive end, get to the basket (which he can) when his jumper is off and he would be noteworthy..

He aint as far off as McGe or Blatche in imo...

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Two bad teams. I guess it was entertaining. The players or the coaches should have advised on player to run long they may have been able to score a layup. I still see a lot of low iq on the court. J Wall is really playing Gilbert Arenas style of defense.

Posted by: bonggong | January 12, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlts2041 | January 12, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@dlts2041,

NY has been our best what the past 2 years??

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

dlts2041,

NY has been our best what the last 2 years?

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

"I agree, just saying Nick has the talent to be noteworthy." Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 12:51 PM

Well, I wasn't actually addressing you in particular, just responding to all the NY gushing in general. But, since you brought it up: I don't see much of anything noteworthy about Young. He's a nice scorer and could be a decent role player for a good team. But I don't see much more than that in him (or, for that matter, any of the young guys on this team, with the possible exception of Wall).

"kevenjones, alot of people think NY is a very good defender right now and has been clearly our best for the last 2 years"

Posted by: dlts2041 | January 12, 2011 1:01 PM

And we have a winner in the "Damning with Faint Praise" competition.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 12, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

@dlts2041

I couldn't even wait for your response.WOW

Nick got several DNP's as well as benched for the rest of the game, purely due to his lack of defense last year..

He is playing much better defense, as is everyone on the team, but you think NY is a better defender than KH...Don't answer that..lmfao

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 1:17 PM | Report abuse

keven & kalo, you guys are dead wrong. You act like no one can change. Have you guys been watching NY or do you just watch the Offense? He's a very good man to man defender. Very good. Thats why when people say he cant be an All Star because he doesnt pack the stat sheet, I always disagree. I say he can because he still does the 2 most important things at the SG spot and that is score effeciently in a variety of ways and guards very well man to man. Anything else is icing on the cake but if you have 5 guys who can do that then you will win alot of games.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying he's an All Star. You have to look at the people he's competeing with for spots but he is a good defender. All the other Wiz boards have been talking about it the last 2 years. Guys on here are just late. Man to man he holds his own, "atleast at the 2 spot he does". Some think he still can get abused at the 3 and thats why they dont like the Kirk Hinrich stuff because it forces NY to the 3 alot but at the 2 he can guard his man. He even has guarded Wade & Kobe very well.

Posted by: dlts2041 | January 12, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@dlts2041,

It's scary how clueless you are dude.
Seriously here is the scouting report on NY:
Quite a socrer.. Strong mid-range game..Great first step..
Settles for the jump shot too much at times..Not a devoted
defensive player.

Here is KH's scouting report:
Nice Shoer..Pretty Quick..Good Vision on the court..
Excellent defender..Puts a lot of effort throughout
the game..great role player

Come to think of it you were one of the guys who debated the Blatche shooting too many jumper's issue..This is becoming a waste of time...lol

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Sure, flip could have offered them a crutch to make their job easier by calling a timeout but ............

Posted by: crs-1 | January 12, 2011

But! But what? Are you really going to try and defend Flip for not taking timeout when he could have moved the inbound pass to mid court use the full length of the court? Oh, that's right. That would have been too easy.

Posted by: spades72 | January 12, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@dlts2041,

Please get a clue dude..seriously..Here is the scouting report on NY:

Quite a scorer.. Strong mid-range game..Great first step..Settles for the jump shot too much at times..Not a devoted defensive player.

Here is KH's scouting report:
Nice Shooter..Pretty Quick..Good Vision on the court..Excellent defender..Puts a lot of effort throughout the game..great role player.

come to think of it you were one of the people questioning us saying Blatche shoot's too many jumpers weren't you..What the hell are u watching..The play these games in hi-def now!! LOL

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bullwiz81 | January 12, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Please teach those young guys how to play ball. They are too scrappy! They run around like a chicken with their head cut off. They throw the ball right to the opposing team more than enough. That drives me nuts. When the oposing man is right in front of your guy, you don't throw the freeking ball to him. (what gives) That's as simple as abc?!!! Slow Wall down please stop the turnovers. Does the coach have any control at all. Get a new coach if he can't control his guys. Too many mistakes being made. Enough is enough already! College is over, it's time to play with grown-ups.

Posted by: paulaburto3 | January 12, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Wht do we seldom post the 6'7" Nick on the smaller guards that usually guard him? He goes in the post once a game and burys his natual fadeaway and then we never see it again. THe NBA game is easy. Command a double ream in the post, kick out and swing the ball. Simple. Where is the mismatch Flip? It;s at the 2 and the 3 where both Young and Lewis should be working more in the post as they both have a size advantage over the people gurading them most nights. There is no advantage with Blatche in the post. Get a clue.

Posted by: ptp09 | January 12, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

on the last play of the game Wall got caught flat footed. he never got into a "defensive stance". he was kinda standing straight and never really settled on what he was gonna give up. I dunno maybe he didn't respect jeter enough to think he'd call his own number with the game on the line, but when Pooh exploded to the basket JW's feet were stuck in quick sand. I'da liked McGee to come over and erase that shot, but who knows, if he leaves Cousins maybe DC rolls down the lane and instead of a 15-17 footer he's got a layup or a dunk. Seems like Wall coulda slowed him down at least, but jeter went straight to the rack unimpeded. I put that one 80% on JW, but he was hurting, maybe the cramp tightened up on him

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 12, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

kevenjones, you know nothing. Dont give me those old scouting report crap. Go watch a game. Go to any real Wiz board and you will see everyone aknowledge NY's defense. Youre one of those people that once something gets in your head, you wont ever change your opinion. So a guy who was bad on D, is alwayws bad in your mind, no matter if he's changed or not. You dont even have to listen to me. Just go check his defensive numbers and you will see that theyve been very good.

Also, if you dont agree with me then fine but Im a man and you dont have to be disrespectful. Everyone has an opinion but keep all the other crap to yourself. I didnt come at you sideways so show me that same respect

Posted by: dlts2041 | January 12, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Why is Hilton Armstrong on the team again? For foul usage? What a bust.

Posted by: bullwiz81 | January 12, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, 43pts on 22 FGAs is commonplace. Guys who do that are a dime a dozen. Right." Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 1:46 PM

Which is, of course, in no way, shape, or form an actual refutation (or really, even a direct response) to what I said. Or, as I like to call it "Par for the course."

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 12, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

" All the other Wiz boards have been talking about it the last 2 years."

Posted by: dlts2041 | January 12, 2011 1:21 PM

Well, if they're talkin' about it on the Internet, it must be true.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 12, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone trying to defend's Flip's coaching acumen is like trying to justify Sarah Palin's viability as a political candidate, just not worth the time.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 12, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@dlts2041,

You took that as a slight on ur manhood huh? anyway, i'm just saying u r clueless..You said NY is our best defender, which Ray Charles can see is not the case and never has been the case..

I don't care what "boards" you have been reading. Maybe that explains why you are confused..

And those are up to date scouting reports on NY and KH..

I'm a NY fan, but he has to not only play man defense but team defense as well. That means rotating properly, fighting through screens, and all sorts of other "stuff"..

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 1:30 PM
Nick has played bought in on the defensive end this year. He's shooting the ball well. Flip has given him the green light. He's alot better defensively this season than you give him credit for.

Posted by: dc202jp | January 12, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | January 12, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Anyone trying to defend's Eddie Jordan's coaching acumen is like trying to justify Sarah Palin's viability as a political candidate, just not worth the time.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 12, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@dc202jp,

Those are not my sentiments. I was just posting what they scouting report on NY is.

I also said this:

-----------------

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse

NY scored 20 at Boston on 9-15 shooting.

He scored 20 at Atlanta on 8-14 shooting.

21 against Orlando on 8-15 shooting.

scored 30 at Kobe's house on 13-23 shooting.

Posted by: dlts2041 | January 12, 2011 12:23 PM | Report abuse

You're probably not going to win with on a regular basis with this team anyway. You just look for bright spots and Nick Young has been a bright spot so far this season. Hope he continues to produce.

Posted by: dc202jp | January 12, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@SDMDTSU,

What coach has had the most success for this franchise in the last 30 years? Tell me his name?

Not saying Jordan is Jerry Sloan, but for him to get take that roster where he took it to me is a pretty good job.. Especailly considering he was NEVER backed by the GM.

Grunfield deserves credit as well as some of the blame for the last few disastrous seasons..

But tell me who has been a better coach than EJ in the last 30 years for the Wiz/Bullets..I'm waiting..

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@dc202jp,

I also said this:

-----------------

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Nick is a better overall defender than Kirk. That being said Kirk can't match up with the Wade's and Joe Johnson's like Nick can. Nick can't match up with pg's like Kirk can. Kirk has always been a good defender. Nick is just now starting to play defense this year.

Posted by: dc202jp | January 12, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz best defender is Josh Howard.

Posted by: dc202jp | January 12, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

@dc202jp,

And that was my point. Because Nick ain't a better overall defender than Kirk.

This is getting crazy...

Ok...KH is 6'3...NY is 6'7... So of course KH will match up better with a PG than he would with a SG/SF..GOD PLEASE HELP US..

Having said that KH has always given everything he has on the defensive end..

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"Oh please. The NBA is full of scorers who look good when they're hot. In the big picture of the NBA, Nick Young isn't even remotely noteworthy."

I agree. that kind of a scorer has no place in the NBA. He is more suited in the European League. Righ Kal?

Posted by: Dave381 | January 12, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I see soo many negative comments. The same kind of negativity that use to be aimed at the capitals a few seasons ago. Now that they win everyone is a big caps fan. If you cant support the wizards when they are bad then dont jump on the bandwagon when they become better like most of you did the caps.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 12, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Wall's stat was impressive last night but a lot of TO and blunders on both of ends of the floor. Needs a lot of improvement before he can be compare to Rose right now.

Posted by: Dave381 | January 12, 2011 2:36 PM | Report abuse

@dc202jp,

Stop it..Josh has played in exactly 12 games for us..Cut the Jokes

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@dc202jp,

And that was my point. Because Nick ain't a better overall defender than Kirk.

This is getting crazy...

Having said that KH has always given everything he has on the defensive end..

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 2:27 PM
I'm not disputing your points btw. I agree Nick isn't a better defender than KH.
Nick doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay with a pg. Against the Pacers we saw a 6'7 Josh Howard shut down Collison for a quarter. Defense is a mindset and playing defense is new to Nick so hopefully he keeps defending and gets better at it.

Posted by: dc202jp | January 12, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 12, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

If Sexy Sarah could get Alaska into 4 staight playoffs and get 3 guys their first AllStar nods on her watch, i might give her a second look. Eddies really not as bad as you give him credit for. All he was able to do was make a playoff team out of a group of second tier players, all the while helping some reach their highest playing levels of their respective careers.I was on board with the firing cuz I didn't know if the team was responding to him. But Eddie Jordan is a better coach than he was in Philly, kinda like how some of yall tell me about how great Phil....i mean Flip (let's not get those 2 confused) is except for when he's coaching us.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 12, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

@dc202jp,

Stop it..Josh has played in exactly 12 games for us..Cut the Jokes

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 2:40 PM |

Sad but true. That's our best defender. Guys are playing defense but you see a difference defensively in the games he has played. Even if its only 12.

Posted by: dc202jp | January 12, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Most of you people live mediocre existences and are probably average at mostly anything you do in life, yet you spend every day on web blogs trashing professional athletes for not being spectacular in every thing they do all the time. Give me a break. If you did not have athletes and politicians to trash you would have to look at your own sorry selves for entertainment value and whats the fun in that? I guess when you trash others you feel less like a loser yourselves.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 12, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave381 | January 12, 2011 2:36 PM

True. Just give him time it'll get better. Rose was the same way when he came in the league.

Posted by: dc202jp | January 12, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@SDMDTSU,

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

You're talking about one of the worst franchises in the NBA for the last 30 years.

I mean looking at the coaches...none of them have great records. I mean the winningest coaches over that period are Jordan, Doug Collins, Bernie Bickerstaff, Kevin Loughery and Gene Shue.

He doesn't have the best win % of them...but if you wanna say he was the best coach we had...cool.

Doesn't mean he was good.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 12, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey blogers, what was your best statistic in any sport? Which one of you have ever scored 43 points in a game on any level, much less the NBA. You bloggers are the smartest most accomplished most athletic people on earth. You are smarter than the president, more honest and virtuous than any politician and apparently a better NBA player than Nick Young to the point that you trash him for scoring 43 points in a game and trash the wizards after a win. If only we all could be as good as bloggers are at everything.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 12, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

kalo_rama

What could NY have done last night besides give you his ATM card and PIN number to get any credit from you after scoring 43 points? Not that he needs your approval. Just wondering...

We have a miserable bunch of people as a fan base.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 12, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@SDMDTSU,

Yup, you made my point for me. He took one of the worst franchises in the NBA for the last 30 years to the playoffs 4 straight years, and two of the years with big time injuries..

What other coach took us to the playoff's 4 straight years? How can you dispute that he was and still is the best coach this franchise has had in 30 years..

What should have happened was Grunfield should have been fired, not EJ..

Posted by: kevenjones | January 12, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Droppe 42 in high school.

Posted by: dc202jp | January 12, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"blatche played a solid game. after all his problems, nice to see."

I agree. I never thought he was the all star the cheering section proclaimed last year. Then again, I haven't thought he was as bad as all ranters have claimed this year.

He's had his problems. He needs to lose weight, get in better shape, and probably start seeing a shrink.

Still, last night's game was a positive for someone who obviously needed one. I'm happy for him.

Posted by: fansincebullets | January 12, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

"...better NBA player than Nick Young to the point that you trash him for scoring 43 points in a game and trash the wizards after a win."
Posted by: ged0386

Who trashed Nick Young? I just finished reading this thread and I didn't see any trashing.

Posted by: fansincebullets | January 12, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Here's a list of guys who gone for 40+ on 22 or less FGAs in a game this season.

Kevin Martin
Monta Ellis
Kevin Durant
Nick Young

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't mean he was good.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 12, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

But he was good. I dunno how you wanna try to spin it. But EJ was at the helm of one of the most successful periods in recent Wizards history. In fact, i'd only seen one playoof series in my entire life featuring the Bullets/Wizards before EJ coached them to 4 straight postseasons.

As far as winning% is concerned, maybe EJ doesn't have the highest winning% of our recent list of coaches (I'm sure you only used the W% while they coached us) but I'm almost certain he has the advantage in Playoff Appearances, Playoff Wins, and All Star Appearances (as a coach) being that I've never seen or heard any of those other coaches doing those things. But hey i'm sure some of us prefer Flip's 50 wins in Minny over Eddies playoff runs here.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 12, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse

From The Other Side: A Familiar Sight In The Kings Locker Room
by Rashad Mobley

This is a worthwhile read.

Posted by: fansincebullets | January 12, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

NY has been as good a defender as KH this season, no doubt. He checks some of the bigger guys better than Kirk can, and Kirk does some things he cant. But THIS SEASON, they have been about the same for us defensively.

Against Miami for instance, Nick went for 30pts while "holding" DWade to 20pts on 7-19 shooting. Not that it's noteworthy when an opposing SG does that to DWade, of course not, happens all the time.

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

" Really? I hate to break it to you, but Phil Jackson would get the same results with this team.Posted by: rphilli72"

And don't think Phil doesn't know that... as does Doc, Pop, Skiles, George Karl...

Posted by: Samson151 | January 12, 2011 8:15 AM

I'm gonna have to call BS on that. Coaches are as competitive as players. Phil has a million rings, Pops is often considered the best coach, Doc has a ring and lots of success....those guys don't think "Wow, if Flip 1st Round Saunders cant do anything with them, no way I could."

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

There's no question Young had a great shooting night last night. And. . . ?
Tracey Murray and Dana Barros both scored 50 in a game once. Were they "noteworthy"? You're talking about 1 game. I'm talking about his game as a whole. And, as a whole, there's nothing remotely remarkable about a guy who can score a lotta points on bad teams. Sorry, but that's the truth. On a good playoff team, he's playing 20 mpg off the bench, if that.

And comparing him in any way, shape, and form to Durant is beyond laughable.

Now, comparing him to Monta Ellis is, however, pretty much spot on, as Ellis is a guy who's made a career out of putting up big numbers on terrible teams.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 12, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"Doesnt mean any of those guys turns this into a great team, but most of them must think they could get more than 9 wins."

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 3:37 PM

So? I'm sure Saunders thought that to, for all the good it did him. Doesn't matter what they can think, only matters what they can do. And I don't see any other coach doing much better with this lot.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 12, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

That's all well and good, but of course had nothing to do with the point of what I said. Which would be clear if you didn't selectively quote. Par for course?

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 12, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I guess if Tracy Murry or Danna Barros were leading the league in 20 pt games off the bench, or were their team's most consistent offensive option i'd understand the comparisons. All that being said, it's only one game. And my boy's got to build on that. And that's what's bein missed or avoided by some on this blog. First folks were discounting 20 point games, until he strung together a few in a row. Then it was all about how he was gonna cool off. And during the period when he did cool a bit, he responded with career high rebounding effort and a 9 asst game. Then it was about him being in a slump and how will he respond, or revert back to the NY of old. the kid put up 43 2 nights after a tough shooting night and 7 points.

NY will have to win NBA MVP to win some folks over. hopefully Nick can maintain this consistency for the rest of the season. Unfortunately he'll get resigned to a decent contract, and folks will be cheering for him to have a Blatchian failure next year.

It seems like some folks would rather see him go somewhere else so they can cheer for him there. Cuz God know folks on here don't wanna cheer on their own guys.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 12, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

On a good playoff team, he's playing 20 mpg off the bench, if that.

Nick would start for the Bulls.

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 4:32 PM | Report abuse

SDMDTSU

I think 4 playoff appearances is a good coach. Even if they only advanced to the second round once. I think fans become spoiled and fickle. If your team is lousy we complain, when they become competitive we complain that they are not a playoff team, when they become a playoff team we complain that they are not a championship contender, when they become a contender we complain when they dont win the championship every year. Trust me, there will be fans bases of the top 5 teams in the NBA complaining about their team, coach, GM and players if they dont win the championship. Reality is there is only one happy fan base at the end of the season. We complained about the wizards just as much when they made the playoffs those years under Jordan as we do now. Let the caps not make the stanley cup this year, the fan base will start turning on them.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 12, 2011 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Blake Griffin puts up big numbers on a bad team. Do we refer to him as

Droppe 42 in high school.

Posted by: dc202j

Did you do it in the NBA? College? How many times in High School? Against who? Did your team win the championship?

Posted by: ged0386 | January 12, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 |

I am sure Flip could make the playoffs every year with the rosters of the Lakers, spurs and celtics. We wanted the team blown up and we got what we wanted. Now we have to wait for a young team to get better.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 12, 2011 4:44 PM | Report abuse

anytime a team falls flat on it's face so many times at the end of games ,it is more than the players.Flip needs to coach better.The team continues to blow big leads ,stop hustling,and down right look awful at times.The coach can't continue jumping in front of a mic saying the team is young and going to make mistakes. Flip, these guys make big bucks to play basketball.they are pros not a JV team.If you, Flip,start coaching them properly you will find out that these young players will respond with positive results in close games and will not blow so many big leads in a short period of time.

Posted by: joyron52 | January 12, 2011 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Everyone on the board, I don't make excuses. The Wiz should have closed this one out but once again what's up with the refs.

Both of the three point shots that the ref called foul on were phantom calls. One was a four point play. We have a lot of work to do but dam.

Nick got fouled on one of the inbounds plays that the ref didn't call.

I couldn't believe Rashad Lewis took out under the basket and didn't even run the full baseline when he started to move to inbound the ball. I teach my 7-8 year old to not inbound the ball under the basket. Flip maybe should have taken a timeout but a professional player that doesn't know that. I don't like some of Flip coaching strategies but I can't even put taking out under the basket on him.

Jeter or whoever was checking JWall at the end of the game had his entire inside hand and forearm on JWalls inside hip. Do you think the ref called that- Hell no.

I wanted to ..... and I know we have a lot of growing to do but dam.

Posted by: JWADE4 | January 12, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Nick Young especially with a win. His 43 wouldn't have meant a dam thing had we lost that game.

Posted by: JWADE4 | January 12, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

"Are you serious? This is not football where the cornerback release the wide receiver to the safety. Wall didn't even make an attempt to check his man. He acted like his feet were planted in cement.Posted by: spades72"

Yes, I'm serious. Javale was out of position. That's happened before. A lot.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 12, 2011 6:40 PM | Report abuse

"Nick would start for the Bulls.Posted by: divi3"

Wow. I don't think so.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 12, 2011 6:42 PM | Report abuse

"Kevin Martin
Monta Ellis
Kevin Durant
Nick Young
You have to be in full haterade mode to watch a game last night and not realize Nick's talent level is there with the some of the elite scorers in the league. To say he is "not even remotely noteworthy" is pretty ridiculous." posted by divi3

Well, I would agree that Nick is potentially in a class with say, Monta Ellis. He might not be the scorer Ellis is, but he's less of a ball hog and a better defender. Kevin Martin is more productive offensively, but he's more experienced and plays on a better team (doesn't everyone?). Kevin Durant is arguably the NBA's best young offensive player, and Nick isn't within shouting distance of that title.

Nick's clearly better than he was last year, or the year before that. He has a future in the NBA that he might not have had at this time last season. I think that's enough expectation for now.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 12, 2011 6:51 PM | Report abuse

"When I saw Nick lay his jersey down at half court ala Gil after the game, I was like "WTF!! We only have 10 wins for the season and were trying so hard to give it away to the Kings!"Posted by: bullwiz81'

LOL humility is not our strong point on the Wiz. Pimping for the crowd, on the other hand... it's all in good fun, I'm sure.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 12, 2011 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I'm serious. Javale was out of position

They were in man D and Wall got abused. That's what happened on that play. It would be one thing if he'd funneled Jeter to his left and therefore towards Mcgee...but Jeter went to Wall's right completely unimpeded. There was no pick. For Mcgee to make that play, he would have to have been so far off Cousins as to be giving up a wide-open look to him. And then you'd say Mcgee always goes for blocks instead of staying with his man.

Posted by: divi3 | January 12, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse

No, it's fairly typical for rebuilding young teams to fall apart late in games and when the pressure is on. It's not a clear indication of bad coaching. The NBA is a league where youth doesn't usually win very often.

And, so what if Eddie Jordan made the playoffs 4 years in row? He was given a roster with 3 all-star caliber players. Flip Saunders would have done just as well and the team probably would have been better defensively since Eddie Jordan was clueless coaching defense. Certainly couldn't have been worst defensively.

On the "flip" side, Eddie Jordan went to Philly who made the playoffs the season before by being a solid defensive team and running out and he quickly turned the same squad into a laughingstock. And, got fired again! His head coaching career is over bc he is simply a losing coach. FS is not and will get another job if and when he leaves here.

Posted by: rphilli721 | January 12, 2011 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spades72 | January 12, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

-------

Seriously? The answer to the question "but what" was selectively ignored.

I don't need to defend flips position. The team didn't execute an inbounds play. You can redirect the blame to him for not bailing them out all you want. But the blame for not executing falls on the players

Posted by: crs-one | January 13, 2011 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Blake Griffin puts up big numbers on a bad team. Do we refer to him as

Droppe 42 in high school.

Posted by: dc202j

Posted by: ged0386
First of all I was answering your question about has anyone scored alot of points in any setting. Second I never bashed Nick. Third what have you done to that magnitude. No we didnt win the championship... lost to Josh Smith team in that tournament. Never played in the NBA. Most I dropped in college was 21 but only played 1-1/2 season. Scored 40+ 3 times in HS. Not sure what this info does to help you but there you have it.

Posted by: dc202jp | January 13, 2011 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Let John Wall heal completely his knees before playing him as he only makes the team defense' weaker upfront. You can notice him favoring his leg while running, not a normal sight to see for a No. 1 overall draft pick.

Posted by: manibeni | January 13, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse