Posted at 11:30 AM ET, 01/19/2011

Nick Young's 'homecoming' in Milwaukee might help Wizards end road woes

By Michael Lee

Nick Young may not have had the best luck backing out of his driveway on the way to practice on Tuesday, but he might provide the Wizards with their best hope to finally win a road game in Milwaukee: The game against the Bucks might very well feel like home for Young, whose family has roots in Wisconsin though he was raised in Los Angeles.

If I close my eyes and dream, I can imagine myself doing this on the road. (Photo by Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post)

Young said his parents, Charles and Mae, moved to Los Angeles from Milwaukee, so he will have a solid support base when the Wizards face the Bucks. "My family is from there, so I'm going to have a lot of fans there," Young said. "My mom, dad, grandma, everybody, really. I'm going to be needing a lot of tickets."

Young will finally be able to round up most of the Wizards' complementary tickets from his teammates since former Wizard and Racine native Caron Butler had gobbled up all of them in past seasons. "He used to hog them, when I was a rookie. It was tough for me," Young said of Butler, who was dealt to Dallas at the trade deadline last season. "I don't think nobody else really had family out there. I think all the tickets go to me."

Young said he'll need at least 20 tickets against Milwaukee, as the Wizards (12-27) attempt to end their season-long road futility. "We put too much pressure on ourselves going into the road. I think we've got to let it flow. We just got to have fun. The buildup is so high. It's on everybody's mind. Especially if we're down or something. It can mess us up, so I think we've got to go in there, calm and relaxed and have a ball."

For Young, having supporters in the stands has been huge for him, whether he's at Verizon Center or at Staples Center, where is 30-point game against the Lakers is still his best road performance of the season for him. Young said that his parents might even make the trip to Los Angeles to see their son's continued progression.

Young, a fourth-year guard out of Southern California, will be a restricted free agent this summer and has started to blossom ever since Gilbert Arenas was traded to Orlando. He is averaging 20.3 points in his past 15 games, including a career-high 43 points in a win over Sacramento.

Young's struggles on the road, though, have been well-documented, especially since his inability to find an offensive rhythm on the road has coincided with the failings of his team. He has scored at least 20 points in just four of the Wizards' 19 road losses and is averaging just 13.3 points on the road this season.

Over his career, Young hasn't always played his best at Bradley Center, as he averages just 7.2 points on 32.4 percent shooting (12 of 37) in six career games. But he also never received the playing time or touches to have much an affect on the outcome. And, he yet to establish himself as the clutch shooter that he has become.

Young is hoping that being back around family and friends -- and seeing a familiar face from back home -- would help him break out of his funk. "I can get some of that soul food," Young said, already looking ahead to the visit. "Brandon Jennings grew up in my neighborhood, so we'll be talking trash on the sideline."

Jennings will miss the game with a broken left foot and the Bucks (14-24) are just 4-9 without him. The Wizards are trying to win three games in a row for the first time since April 2008. Young said should feel buoyed by their four-game home win streak and first set of back-to-back wins this season.

"The way we've been playing of late, I don't think we're worried about anything. We got to keep that same confidence, that same focus. I'm going to put it everybody's heads, 'Don't this road thing mess up your mind, because it can.' Once you get out there and things ain't going right, you start to put your head down and lose focus."

When asked where his family allegiances are in Milwaukee, Young said they are split. "They surprise me. Some games they have a Kobe jersey. Kind of got me upset when I seen them with a Brandon Jennings jersey. But that's how my family is. Some Lakers, some Bucks, but they usually cheer for whatever team I'm on."

View more news videos at: http://www.nbcwashington.com/video.

By Michael Lee  | January 19, 2011; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Nick Young
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kirk Hinrich: Skiles team is 'going to play hard'
Next: Flip Saunders joins team in Milwaukee

Comments

we gotta resign nick young

Posted by: jefferu | January 19, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

^ as long as the price isn't ridiculous

Posted by: dobrojim | January 19, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

we gotta resign nick young

There will be quite a few SGs looking for new deals this summer, so that will limit the offers for Young. Cleveland and maybe New Jersey look like the only teams with need and money. Nick shouldn't be a priority for them. Hopefully, Afflalo gets re-signed first to set Nick's value.

Posted by: djnnnou | January 19, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't short the man any money. He's worthy of a contract similar to Blatches and IMO he's worth more than Afflalo.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | January 19, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

we gotta resign nick young

Posted by: jefferu | January 19, 2011 12:06 PM

Naww, remember we got to rid of the knuckleheads. The last time I checked, there are still three knuckleheads left on this team.

They would be Nick Young, Andre Blatche, and Javale McGee.

This organization has stated that the knuckleheads must go and these three are the last on the list.

But, if you ask me, them three knuckleheads might have too much value for Washington's taste if they wanted to keep them anyways.

The Haywood/Livingston syndrome could rear its ugly head when it comes to resigning these guys to big money, but as we know, some hear already are moaning over the modest contract that Blatche already reupped too. So we want that knucklehead out of here. The trade Blatche band wavers are in full form, since he hasn't performed up-to-par so far this season.

Go figure.

You guys that keep jumping BF78 for being hard on the organization better hope that Ted is really building a new Bullets organization.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 19, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

^ as long as the price isn't ridiculous

Posted by: dobrojim | January 19, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Can't imagine him asking for more than AB, given his career up to this point. The guys on 106.7 were saying last night (erroneously) that NY wants a 10Mil/yr deal. I seriously doubt my boy or his agent is that clueless and out of touch. I don't think 5-6 mil per is ridiculous. The way he's playing right now, he's one of the players that fits into Flip's offense very well. he seems to be focused on both ends of the court and is displaying the attention to other areas of his game that fans and writers have been criticizing the past coupla seasons. He's a player on the rise right now. I think 6-7 mil per is on the high end, but it might be reasonable to overpay a lil bit to shore up the starting back court. Then we could look at a 3 and a traditional C in the draft (though not necessarily in that order) and FA.

Guys on the radio were also talmbout trading NY while his value is at it's highest, since NY isn't the type of player you build around. I dunno if we're building around NY. More so we're building around Wall and finding players that he can excel playing alongside.Ny is one of those players. He's an above average scorer with a shooting touch from outside that can spread the floor. He's benefited from Wall's speed and court vision,enabling him to just find open spots to shoot from on breaks. Wall's also benefited statistically from NY's hot shooting. It's easy to rack up 15 assists when all u gotta do is look for Nick coming off of well designed screens (Shout out to Flip). I think those two could be a very solid starting backcourt for years to come if their games continue growing together.

Lastly,i dunno who we'd look at in the draft to come in and start at the 2 if we were able to finagle a first rounder for NY (highly unlikely). I doubt we luck out and get the number 1 pick in the lotto again this yr, and the picks after Wall in this draft have been a mixed bag, leaning more towards disappointing than impressive. I really think NY is our best option at the SG going forward. Anybody think it's time to make a move? and if so, who do you think we can get through draft, Fa or trade to replace NY ?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 19, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Larry, I like what you say for the most part. Comparing keeping Shaun and Haywood is COMPLETELY different than keeping Nick,Javale, and Dray. Signing Livingston would have been similar to signing Gee,Hudson, or Cartier to long term deals. Haywoods talent is dormant and as we see in Dallas he's not really that good. He's also a cancer to a team when he's not getting minutes. Signing our young talent is something the Organization should and i think will do. I ain't mad at them for not keeping shaun or brendan.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | January 19, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Gotta keep Nick. Makes no sense to draft his replacement then wait 3yrs for that guy to develop. Wall and Young are learning to play together right NOW. Why break that up just as Nick is starting to seriously thrive? The Utah game was really something. After the 43pt bomb it was mentioned how bad the defense against him was. Can't be said for that Jazz game. How many 2s can't be checked by Raja Bell or Kirilenko? Utah announcers were calling Wall-Young a potentially "lethal" backcourt for years to come.

If Young keeps up this level of focus and commitment to D all season, you need to re-sign him. To not do so just creates another hole to fill and sets the team a step back.

Posted by: divi3 | January 19, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

yup ^

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 19, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Hollywood, Listening to those clowns on the Fan is painful. Gettind rid of Nick would be a mistake considering he's our most consistant player and has thrived with Wall. Also, i think Ted believes in building from the inside. I saw an early mock draft that had us picking the center Enes Kanter from Kentucky.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | January 19, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | January 19, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

He's ineligible right? Any tape on him? You gotta think we look for a bruising inside player or a hybrid athlete/ bruiser a la jones from baylor. there's a hole at the 3 so i could see us looking to fill that in the draft or through FA. Do we have extra picks in this year's draft?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 19, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Haven't seen much of Sullinger from OSU but he's being touted as a top 5 pick (kinda like Turner). I dunno, but from what i've seen he looks like a thicker, Booker with less toughness. is he a big 3 with no handle?a small four that will fall into the Tweener department? I'm not too high on him though. Any info?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 19, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

He is inelgible for right now. Not sure if he's allowed to play at all this year. The only tape i've seen is the Nike Hoops Summit. Its the first highlight on Youtube. Looks physical but it is just one game. Don't think we have any extra picks. Would be nice.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | January 19, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

No way do you let Nick Young walk, and you definitely don't trade him. Ernie's not that dumb, and Ted wouldn't allow it. How many other reasonably efficient, 25-year old, 20ppg shooting guards are out there?

The smart thing to do is to just let the market dictate Young's price. Let another team make an offer, then match. If no other team makes one, offer him 4 yrs, $28M. That's a very fair price.

Posted by: sasrza | January 19, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"Hopefully, Afflalo gets re-signed first to set Nick's value.

Posted by: djnnnou | January 19, 2011 1:21 PM

Don't really see how Afflalo's signing will impact Young's value. Afflalo is a more proven player with demonstrated playoff effectiveness. This is, essentially, Young's breakout year.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 19, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering the same about Sullinger. The box scores just list him as a 6'9 F. Don't know if he's SF or PF. Dude does get more than 10 boards often and against S. Carolina he had 19 so i'm assuming he plays the 4. Other games he had 16 and 14 boards also.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | January 19, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"In the words of Inigo Montoya, 'I do not think this word means what you think it does.'"
Posted by: ts35

Ah,thanks. I thought I was missing some hidden meaning in that post.

Posted by: fansincebullets | January 19, 2011 11:25 AM

Missing something. So am I. This seems rather obviouse to me.

LarryInClintonMD.

I would hope so, since you wrote it. But maybe you could restate it for the rest of the class.

Posted by: ts35 | January 19, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

IMHO re-signing Young is a no brainer. He has step up his game on both ends of the floor. Remember at the beginning of the season wherein Flip asked NY to pattern his game to Rip Hamiliton. Majority of his points now comes from the flow and less one on one moves. Once he perfects the style the more dangerous a player he'll become.

Posted by: Dave381 | January 19, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Nick Young may not be a player that you build around, but he sure is the kind of guy that you surround Wall with.

A guy that can run to a spot catch and shoot 3's at a high percentage can become a very bad man when he's put on the court with a guy like Wall. Young's also becoming an able defender and retains the ability to break a man down to get his own shot.

Understand he's not an allstar caliber player yet, and his sampling size even as a starter is small to this point, but he's played his way into the starting lineup, and has become a valuable peice in the rebuilding process.

Establishing a young starting backcourt simpifies the process and checks off one thing on Ernies to-do list.

Somehow I can see Nick with one of those Cheese Wedges on his head...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | January 19, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Egad! It's a Syndrome now?

Posted by: ts35 | January 19, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

If I understand it correctly, Young is an RFA, so as long as they make him a qualifying offer -- and there's no reason they shouldn't because it's pretty cheap, @ $3M or so -- the Wizards gain ROFR (not to be confused with ROFL). This of course assumes the system under the CBA remains relatively the same. If it doesn't, who knows?

Given what they have seen in Nick and the confidence the coaching staff seems to have in him now, I would think it's likely they will match / beat any reasonable offer for him. But like Haywood, if someone is going to throw ridiculous dollars at him, the Wiz will likely (and probably should) pass. If he continues to play at a high level for the rest of the season, maybe the Wizards try to lock him up (again, at a reasonable price) before he becomes and RFA, but there's no pressing need to do it now.

Posted by: ts35 | January 19, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

thx TS35

-----------------------------------

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | January 19, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

so he's Trevor Booker

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 19, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@Wizbullets88,

Appreciate the comparison comment. Though I belabor the Haywood/Livingston deal, it isn't so much that we had to keep them, but the approach of the organization is my main beef.

That is what I keep trying to highlight when I continually bring the subject up.

The Art of the Deal, to steal a title, and how you handle it, lead up to it, can be more or just as important than the deal itself.

I have brought up Red Auerbach's name many a times on this blog, because it is evident that anyone studying the success of the Celtics should never underestimate that the adeptness that Red had in making deals and trades was a measureable part of their tradition and success.

Seems that Danny Ainge has learned from the history of the Celtics and Red.

There is no good reason not to resign Young. Place a high value on him. Let he and his agent and the League know that you place a high value on him.

Put the value on the table and if someone wants to play, Red Auerbach their butts.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 19, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Happy Birthday JaVale!

Posted by: ts35 | January 19, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Strictly speaking,I'm not sure Young really "played his way into the starting lineup." He only became a starter after Arenas was traded and Wall got hurt, making him, basically, the only rmaining viable option at SG (although he's clearly played reasonably well since being given the job).

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 19, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

Which of course presumes that they were particularly motivated to keep either one.

Posted by: ts35 | January 19, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Reasonably well Kal? He's been on FIRE at home and decent on the road that's better than reasonable in my book.

If you factor in NY's ability to moonlight at small forward then re-signing him should be Ernie's top priority IMO.

Posted by: elfreako | January 19, 2011 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Auerbach would have done the same thing with an injured unproven PG(Who thanked DC for the ability to showcase himself and had basically said his goodbyes before the season ended) and a cancerous big man who complains about minutes and doesn't play hard when not given the minutes he demands. The organization did the right thing. How have they shown they are not good with negotiating? Livingston wasn't worth the time anyway. He's a tall PG but he aint Magic.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | January 19, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"Even if you don't do the deal as in Haywood and Livingston case, you can't let it be perceived that you handled it badly and are a poor, poor negotiator." Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

I seriously doubt most people who aren't the usual suspects here think the Wizards handled either of those situations badly. They were rebuilding and were unwilling to overpay for B-list (at best) talent.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 19, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

(although he's clearly played reasonably well since being given the job).

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 19, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Reasonably well drastically discounts his contributions since he's come into the starting lineup. it's to be expected coming from you, but Fareal he's almost doubled most of his statistical avgs from last yr and has shown focus defensively. Rashard Lewis has played reasonably well since the trade, NY has been one of the bright spots this season. You acknowledging he's having a breakout season, at least intimates that he's playing above expectations. Especially considering some folks thought he was Dleague/euroleague material.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 19, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Try not to cut off a finger splitting those hairs.

He is what he is, a 1-dimensional scorer with a green light on a bad team. Could he prove himself to be more? Sure. Anything's possible. But he hasn't done anything yet to suggest it.

"Reasonably well" is what I said and it's what I stand by. Surely it won't come as a shock if I say I care not one iota whether you agree or not.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 19, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 19, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

He's got the green light? With Wall handling the ball 85% of the time per Flip's offense, and AB being our main offensive option since last year, i wouldn't say NY has the green light. Bron and Wade, and Melo and guys like that have the green light to take whatever shot they want at any point in the game. NY only gets shots off the curl or in the corner for three. He rarely gets the ball as it crosses halfcourt and looks for his own shot. I'd say your boy Kirk and Wall has more of a green light than NY. They both get to bring the ball up the court and decide whether or not to attack or give the ball up. Flip and the staff definitely encourage NY to shoot (he does play shooting guard after all) but rarely are his FGAs much higher than those of the other starters (barring Mcgee) as they would be if he really had the green light.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 19, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Some people split hairs, and the have the gull to complain about split ends...

Oh, and strickly speaking, we're typing...Or as some would say, entering word data at a keyboard...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | January 19, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

If you keep splitting those hairs you're gonna have to spend a fortune on conditioner.

Suffice it to say that the time I would waste getting into a back and forth with you about the meaning of "green light" is time I could better spend . . . well, doing pretty much anything else in the world.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 19, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 19, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

even the ususal suspects remember Shaun saying that he didn't owe the organization anything, in terms of an inside track for resigning him. I dunno why anyone would think he wanted to stay here after he said that. i guess it coulda been a negotiating tool to squeeze a few extra pennies. but i don't miss Shaun much. He's lightyears better than Lester Hudson though, how much should we have paid him to be our backup and at the time 3rd guard. i think he wanted his $$$$ and he wanted some tick, two things that i dunno if the organization OWED him.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 19, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse

"Wall's back in the lineup now, and Young's still starting based on his 20+ scoring average. And Hinrich's now coming off the bench. Any reasonable person could conclude that Young had earned a starting role based on his play."

Posted by: flohrtv | January 19, 2011 2:59 PM

That's true. But, of course, it's also not what you originally said ("oh look, the goal posts are moving again").

You said he "played his way into the starting lineup." He didn't. He got the starting job as a matter of attrition, as all of the guys playing ahead of him fell by the wayside. He kept the starting job as a result of his play but (A) that wasn't what you said and (B) I never said otherwise.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 19, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 19, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse
The green light means you can take whatever shot you want whenever you want to. NY shoots the ball when it's passed to him and he has a good look. I'd luv for you to tell me how NY has the same offensive freedom as Gil when he was here, or Bron,Melo,Wade,Rose,Williams,Kobe etc. NY's shots come within the offense. I guess he's got the green light............whenever Flip/Wall runs a play for him.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 19, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Nick's top10 amongst SGs for Pts, FG%, 3PT%, and FT%. Even higher if you take his numbers as a starter. And he's defense has been excellent. If that's just "reasonably" good play, then everyone else on the team sucks.

Posted by: divi3 | January 19, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 19, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

talking bout splitting hairs. NY played his way past Kirk, Cartier, Al Thornton and Gee to get the job after the trade. While he may not have supplanted someone who was already starting , his play made him the most qualified to start. If he was playing poorly, it would be reasonable to assume that another player would be chosen to start.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 19, 2011 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | January 19, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Everyone can admit that NY has been a disappointment as a pro to this point.Whether it was his doing or other factors, to step away and just look at NY the ball player he wasn't giving us what we wanted/needed. I can understand the salt some of yall have because of that. But this season the kid is doing his thing, and some of us can't bring ourselves to acknowledge this without some type of backhanded compliment. i guess that's who you cope with being absolutely wrong about the kid .

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 19, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Sullinger's definitely a 4 and one with a little fire in his game. Although he's listed at 6'9" it must be a legit 6'9". He appears to match up height wise in most cases and most important to me he looks like he goes hard most the time.

Posted by: gmac78 | January 19, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse

maybe Kyle Korver is available? I hear all he needs is some more PT and he'll explode

Posted by: divi3 | January 19, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

lls if he played better he'd get more minutes silly

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 19, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gmac78 | January 19, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse

More like Blake Griffin or Paul Millsap?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 19, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Millsap's a good comparison.

He's got a little weight with him. I would like to see him tone up a bit but he just may do that.

Posted by: gmac78 | January 19, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I keep trying to think of a world in which Affalo is even comparable to NY and cannot. Look at any stat.

AA's PER each year: 10,9,10,13
NY's PER each year: 12,13,11,16

AA is decent D, bad O. NY is decent D, great O.

Kal-- Pretty much your credibility flies out the window when you say Affalo is better than Young. (And I know, I get it, you don't care what I - or any of us - think). But it's as silly as your Thabeet argument from last year. NY, AB, and JM are all developing as young players develop (with the exception of the phenoms). Slow and with fits and starts, but progress nonetheless.

Larry-- The reason BF78 sounds foolish is because of his giddiness whenever anything goes wrong and his childish told-you-so attitude. He clearly wants the team to fail and is besides himself with joy when it does. Someone like Kal hates on the players, or you hate on Flip, but neither of you seem as giddy and childish about it as BF78 does.

True fans are optimistic and excited by any little progress. They want to believe. BF78 just wants to dance on the grave. And none of your moaning about Flip and Livingston (and now Haywood too?) is benefited by connecting to him, because he only seems happy when the team fails.

Posted by: Urnesto | January 19, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Have never been high on Young, but at this point he is doing what a 2 should do. His learning curve took a little bit longer than most, but he seems to be getting it and understanding that his bread and butter is off curls and the corner. It would be nice for the Wizards to get Sullinger, he was on ESPN high school basketball a few times last year and his father was the coach(they talk basketball at dinner and he does seem to get what his father preaches). He seems to have a high basketball IQ and he gets at it and most definitely will get you some boards, however is he a 3 or 4 ?don't know. His game has seemes to have carried over to the collegiate level and should carry over into the pro's. Nevertheless, the question remains, do we want the Wizards to win and not be in position to draft him, or loose and maybe be able to get him?

Posted by: Theone9 | January 19, 2011 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Kantor has twice been ruled "permanently ineligible" by the NCAA, which is a joke considering the pittance his family got to support him while he played for a Turkey professional team compared with the bucketloads of money that Cam Newton's dad was shopping him for.

Kantor needs some seasoning, however. While he might be what Kentucky is missing to be a top-flight college team, he's not what the Wizards need to plug up the middle.

Sullinger is a great college player and will be an outstanding pro -- maybe not Blake Griffin (who is?) but solid, with all-star potential down the road. If the Wiz have a chance to pick him, they should, but I don't think he'll be around past the top lottery.

This won't be as deep a draft as last year, so the Wiz may want to think about the trading block.

Posted by: zinger1 | January 19, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I have not posted for a while, but I had been meaning to make a post on NY for some time.

In the past I saw him as one of the teams knuckleheads and I was not sure if he would ever turn a corner and be a complete player.

This year I think he has finally turned a corner. Certainly getting more consistent playing time helps, but he has shown he deserves it for the most part.

A good SG should not only be able to score but also get some rebounds, assists and play some defense, i.e. have a more complete game. NY has made strides in these areas and seems be becoming more than just a one dimensional player.

Posted by: cannontl | January 19, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Props to NY for what he's done the last few weeks. However, to be honest, there is no one on our team that is a superstar. How many of these guys would get much playing time, no less start on another team? We need to be open to all possibilities. We've accepted mediocrity for so long that we're willing to hold on to someone who shows he can ball for like three weeks. I'm waiting for someone (not Wall) who can come here and dominate!

PS Why does NY need to beg for tickets? Couldn't he buy as many as he wants? Just sayin'

Posted by: Lkay1 | January 19, 2011 5:23 PM | Report abuse

TO Kalo_Rama Nick earned the job, every player after nick was given the job when they walked threw the door, not one earned it or deserved it. NICK ,set and watched lessor talent play before him, like on your job when lessor people get a job a head of you.[feel me].

Posted by: maejude | January 19, 2011 5:24 PM | Report abuse

so he's Trevor Booker Posted by: lilhollywood10"

Sullinger's a different sort of player altogether. Built more like a Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand, or Kevin Love: powerful enough to play in the middle, but slightly height-challenged, which is why he'll be at a matchup disadvantage against 7 footers. A 4 against most opponents.

Not the sort of player you think of racing up and down the court for 35 minutes, although he moves well.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 19, 2011 5:36 PM | Report abuse

For all the haters on the board who been bashing Nick for years and never probably played organized bball, confidence from your coach, being allowed to play through your mistakes, and game time experience is all one may need.

He just needs to set others up to score and he is actually doing better. He had 5 assist last night and 4 the other night. He also had a couple of boards.

Posted by: JWADE4 | January 20, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse