Posted at 6:41 PM ET, 01/ 7/2011

Open thread: Wizards (8-25) at Nets (10-25)

By Michael Lee

In an extensive interview with the Mike Wise show on Friday afternoon, Andray Blatche described himself as a finesse player and said he wouldn't force himself "to be a different player that I'm not." Later in the evening, Coach Flip Saunders said that facing up and playing on the perimeter may be among Blatche's strengths, but he still wants his 6-foot-11 power forward to play more inside. "There's no question we need him to be down on the block. As a forward, you don't want to be a one-dimensional type of player. Look at forwards that have been very productive in this league. [Kevin] Garnett is considered a face-up player, but yet he got on the block a lot, and basically played off of him on the block. Other great forwards, Karl Malone, he's a great face-up type shooter and that, but you have to have the ability to go down on the block. I think as much as anything else, we'd like him to get to the post because he's effective. I have this saying that you're greatest strength could be your greatest weakness if you can't control it. One of his strengths is his ability to shoot it perimeter-wise, but at 6-11, 275, you also have a strength inside, and you want to be able to do that too."

Let the conversation begin in the thread below. You can also join the conversation on Twitter with Michael Lee (@MrMichaelLee). See your tweets here by using #wizards.

Tipoff: 7 p.m.; TV: CSN; Radio: 106.7 FM.

Check out a live box score from tonight's game here.

By Michael Lee  | January 7, 2011; 6:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Josh Howard to miss tonight's game vs. Nets
Next: Wizards find motivation for inspired defensive effort

Comments

Its getting near the point where its now or never. Favorable sked coming up so this is the time to make a run if we're capable. Nets coming off a win over the Bulls so they should be confident and they beat us last time. McGee did very well against a guy in Hibbert who use to muscle him around in the past so Im looking forward to seeing if McGee can hold his own with another guy in Lopez who use to kill him

Posted by: dlts2041 | January 7, 2011 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Blatche is 275? Pounds? I believe we may have identified the problem.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Open thread: Wizards (8-25) at Nets (10-25)
By Michael Lee

NBA.com and ESPN both have the game is in Washington?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 7, 2011 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I believe we may have identified the problem.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 7, 2011 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Problem #1 of Thousands: WashingtonBullets.com has a full page "Congratulations to JaMale McGhee for being selected to "participate" in the Slam Dunk Challenge at All-Star Weekend.

Problem #2 of Thousands:
They still use stationary in the offices that has "1978 World Champions" on it.

Posted by: jwing14 | January 7, 2011 8:08 PM | Report abuse

"Finally, you understand the problem is Flip and Ernie....it took you long enough.Posted by: bulletsfan78"

LOL this is the sort of comment that makes me think you're not serious. That's why I don't take you seriously. IMO you're just dicking around...

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Blatche's hair says it all.

TRADE HIM ASAP! If you can get Hickson or Cousins or anybody who can rebound, DO IT!!

I just watched him get boxed out & outrebounded by JORDAN FARMAR! I am so sick of watchin this dude dribble behind his back!

and yes he is playing better this game I realize & expected, but it wont last long... just like when he was "free" after Eddie was canned. He will keep clubbing & keep with his soft game cause he is who he is. This dude is a clown, and he will never "get it".

Put it this way... IMO the word potential no longer applies to Andray Blatche.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 7, 2011 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I guess what I see bulletsfan78 and LarryInClintonMD having in common is the desire to provoke argument, whether or not there's any basis for it. But really, what's the point in responding? Except to point out there's no point, or just make fun...

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Blatche's hair says it all.

Put it this way... IMO the word potential no longer applies to Andray Blatche.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 7, 2011 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Blatche really has muscled up but at 275lbs it's not visible under the tarp...

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Interesting take on the problems inherent in a Carmelo trade...

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Samson151,
There's no argument here. Ernie has done a decent job a few years ago but he's got the team as far as it will ever get under his leadership. The exact same notion applied to Eddie Jordan and that's why he got canned.
There's no reason why a GM should use the rebuilding mantra after 7 years on the job! After all, he is the one that got us in this situation to begin with by making dubious decisions. While many blamed the horrid moves he made on Abe's wishes, not many people can argue that the extension offered to Blatche (while he had considerable leverage not to do it), the trade for Hinrich ($17 millions absorbed while OKC absorbed $3 millions for a better pick) and the never ending drafting of undersized tweeners aren't his decisions.
The bottom line is, this team is struggling to garner any type of identity and while all the current heartaches can be attributed to the notion of "rebuilding", this team got years to go before it ascends to relevance.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | January 7, 2011 8:35 PM | Report abuse

I'll tell you what, Tyler Hansborough is riding the bench in Indy & I would take him for Blatche in a heartbeat! He's not better than Blatche but he plays hard & that is what we need!

We need one of those guys like G.Wallace, in your face always hustling, annoying guys you just hate to play against.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 7, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 7, 2011 8:57 PM | Report abuse

"Samson151,
And we can't keep relying on winning the draft lottery that would allow Ernie to make easy draft picks!Posted by: Utilityman1"

Well, since you took the time to make the points, let me respond in kind. Please recall I have no investment in whether Ernie or Flip keep their jobs -- I'm just responding to the arguments themselves.

First, I've been convinced that Ed Jordan got 'canned' for reasons other than his record. The evidence in support of that has been set forth many times here, so I won't belabor it.

Second, Ernie improved other franchises, and he improved the Michael-era Wizards. What's to make us think he can't improve this iteration as well, other than the fact he hasn't done it yet?

Third, rebuilding isn't a 'mantra' -- it's what the team and its owners decided to do. The Pollins went through a partial rebuild from a 25 win season when Grunfeld first arrived. The call to completely rebuild was made in February of last year. That's not seven years -- it's not quite one.

Fourth, all GMs make 'dubious' decisions. But what's the point of constantly micromanaging every decision up here in the peanut gallery? It's a waste of time and energy. E-mail Ted -- he's the one with the authority to make a change. Maybe he'll be more impressed with the arguments than I am.

Fifth, the Blatche extension was, I think, a mistake. Note that it was Kalorama who argued that from the beginning -- the rest of us came later to the conclusion. The nature of the Hinrich and Yi acquisitions, like the Dallas and Cleveland trades, has been discussed here ad infinitum. I won't rehash it. Suffice to say there are other viewpoints than yours.

Sixth, this team may well improve a lot faster than we currently believe. Another year, possibly two.

Seventh, I'm disagreeing with the "fire Ernie and Flip" contingent purely becuase, for the reasons above, I think they're wrong.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 9:01 PM | Report abuse

And if the 'fire Ernie & Flip" posse wants me to be more agreeable, try being less wrong.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Utilityman1 | January 7, 2011 9:29 PM | Report abuse

"Another 20-win season with a GM that's been on the job 7 years definitely makes us wrong and makes you and Kalo right.Posted by: Utilityman1"

Looks like I wasted the effort. Not the first time.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Anyway, a good performance by the Wiz defense, aided by some seriously crappy first half shooting from NJ. Avery Johnson must want to strangle someone.

Other thing I noticed was 23 assists and only 9 turnovers. Taken together with 26 assists and 12 TO's last game, that's a measurable sign of offensive progress.

Wall had no TOs tonight. Combined with the Philly game, he's tallied 23 assists and 1 TO over the two games. More important than piling up points.

Congrats on a nice win.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Good game Wizards! That's what I'm Talkin about! DEFENSE, PLAYIN SMART, MOVIN THE BALL, GOOD SHOTS, DEFENSE, TEAM BALL, EFFORT & HUSTLE!!

Thank you.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 7, 2011 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Thank you.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 7, 2011 9:51 PM | Report abuse

. . . if we keep playing like this, we could seeing ourselves in the playoffs"
Nick Young

Someone please let NY know that this the NJ Nets and they basically have the same record. Nice win but was it a quality win? NO!

Posted by: zack9633 | January 7, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Flip and EG need to send McGee to work with a big man over the summer instead of having him play on summer league. Potential Allstar next season if he works with a big man teacher!

Posted by: zack9633 | January 7, 2011 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Right, it's NJ at home.

Watching NY postgame I gotta say I am becoming a NY fan.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 7, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Odd to see the term 'quality win' used re an NBA regular season game. Mostly you hear it during NCAA tournament qualifying time. They use it about NFL games, too, but not so much pro b-ball. It's sometimes defined as any win over a team with a winning record at the time; a ranked team; a conference win. Gamblers will use it to describe a win over a favored opponent that also beats the spread. AccuScore had the Nets winning this game, although I'm not sure what the final spread was.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Right, it's NJ at home.

Watching NY postgame I gotta say I am becoming a NY fan.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 7, 2011 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Getting back to Blatche, I was surprised too by his comment about lifting weights not doing anything for him.

I guess I'm kind of cynical. Here I was thinking to myself for years that all of these pro basketball players were using steroids or something. But I guess Blatche hasn't, and you know what, I respect that.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | January 7, 2011 10:09 PM | Report abuse

"I will never get the 2 earrings in dudes thing of these young folk. Dray too. Is your name Nick or nicky? Andray or Andrea? The 1st dude I ever saw do that was that singer George Michael, and we all know how THAT turned out.Posted by: Darnell1"

LOL we're showing our age, I'm afraid. Some of these dudes have rings in places other than their ears.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Our points have the same basis as yours...it's only our opinion.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 7, 2011 10:45 PM | Report abuse

You know I am changing my tune. Nick Young IMO can be a superstar in this league. I had my doubts but he has prooven me wrong.

His D has improved, he is a hellava shooter, he's playing smarter taking good shots & stickin to his strengths.

Boy's got charisma too. He can be a star. Needs a nickname though, like the Doctor, the Iceman, or the Mailman.

Wall, Mcgee & Young are emerging as the cornerstones to build around.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 7, 2011 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Wall, Mcgee & Young are emerging as the cornerstones to build around.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 7, 2011 10:59 PM | Report abuse

i must say, tears almost came into my eyes tonight how we played defense. gota give those guys a round of applause! nice win with NJ coming off a win beating chicago. STILL, we need a new coach. i have a feeling those guys were playing more for pride & tired of losing rather than influenced by Flip's coaching. STILL, i would love for us to trade blatche for gerald wallace or hickson without having to throw little nicky in. if we have one of those two guys with the same defense intensity we played with tonight we can certainly make a push for the playoffs and have alot of potential for next season. MAKE IT HAPPEN ERNIE!

Posted by: CantWait90 | January 7, 2011 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Wizards should extend NY now. And trade Blatche.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 7, 2011 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Wizards should extend NY now. And trade Blatche.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 7, 2011 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I am one of those people who was supporting a trade for Blatche but now I am having second thought. Notice everytime we trade players they tend to excel elsewhere? Before trading anyone, let start off by firing Flip and EG. Maybe, just maybe a new coach can find ways to make Blatche play better as well as other. If not, then trade him.

Good win tonight by the Wiz.

Posted by: demonj21 | January 8, 2011 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2011 8:14 PM

Actually, do we provoke argument, or is it the desire to respond in kind to pov's that cut deep, are well thought out and are unbelievably on point?

You see Samson between you's guys and us's guys is that we all can make very good points but you's guys continually stand for points just for the principle of it, like for instance, Flip is a good coach.

Or even better, If Ms. Pollin hadn't lucked into that #1 pick what would Mr. Grunfield have in his deck of cards? The Old Maid, pray tell.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 8, 2011 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Didn't see the game but it looks like the player stepped up and decided to play...Great win guys..fire all of the coaches and let the players play for themselves

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 8, 2011 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Other thing I noticed tonight was the weird rebound totals for the Nets. Their edge on the boards was almost entirely on offense (14-7) and a couple of their frontliners had more o-boards than defensive. Favors, for instance, had 5 of his 6 on offense.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 8, 2011 12:41 AM | Report abuse

"Aww naw he ain't, he mighta been once or a time or two, but he ain't now. So, why can't you's guy's just say Flip sucks like 90% of the board.Why Samson, good fella, you's a smart man, I want to hear you say that Flip just ain't gittin' it done." LarryInClintonMD posted by LarryInClintonMD

You are a very unusual person.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 8, 2011 12:44 AM | Report abuse

"Didn't see the game but it looks like the player stepped up and decided to play...fire all of the coaches and let the players play for themselves. Posted by: bulletsfan78"

This is what I mean by posting just to provoke. No substance whatsoever. What could possibly be the response to this sort of dreck?

Posted by: Samson151 | January 8, 2011 12:46 AM | Report abuse

"Needs a nickname though, like the Doctor, the Iceman, or the Mailman."Posted by: Darnell1

How about the YoungMan?

Posted by: Samson151 | January 8, 2011 12:48 AM | Report abuse

So, why can't you's guy's just say Flip sucks like 90% of the board.

Or between 90% of the board and 10% of the board making 90% of the posts.

Not that a popularity or unpopularity contest would mean anything one way or another . . . And repeating your opinions ad nauseum is highly unlikely to convince anyone not already convinced of the truth of your position.

So basically, you just like to prattle.

Posted by: nmik | January 8, 2011 8:19 AM | Report abuse

"How about the YoungMan?"

So whenever Nick entered the game, the sound system could launch into 'Young Man, there's no need to feel down, I said Young Man, pick yourself off the ground...'

No, maybe not.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 8, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"So, why can't you's guy's just say Flip sucks like 90% of the board.posted by LarryInClintonMD"

So you think 90% of the board sucks?

Posted by: Samson151 | January 8, 2011 10:06 AM | Report abuse