Posted at 2:50 PM ET, 01/23/2011

Rashard Lewis settling into leadership role

By Gene Wang

The Washington Wizards have been without an established leader in the locker room for an extended stretch dating from last season, when Antawn Jamison capably filled that role. Now it appears Rashard Lewis is in line to become the team's next steadying influence both on and off the court.

Coach Flip Saunders sent Lewis out as a captain before last night's 85-83 win against Boston, and he responded with game highs of 18 points and 11 rebounds. Lewis's leadership, however, manifested itself in much more than mere statistics. The two-time all-star with Orlando played at a high level despite tendinitis in his right knee that was compounded by a second game in as many nights.

"I'm feeling more comfortable being with the team and being a leader with a lot of these young guys on the team," Lewis said. "Just got to keep talking to these guys. Not only talking, but you have to lead by example, by going out there and doing the right things and putting in the work."

Lewis joined the Wizards in a trade on Dec. 18 that sent Gilbert Arenas to the Magic, and he's been trying to adapt to the rebuilding process in Washington after so many productive seasons as part of an NBA Finals contender. Lewis averaged at least 20 points for three straight seasons with the Magic, and two seasons ago, he led the NBA in three-pointers made and attempted.

Lewis has played in 16 games with the Wizards, averaging 13.8 points, 7.8 rebounds and 2.9 assists. His numbers actually are up since he left Orlando, where in 41 games this season he averaged 12.8 points and 5.6 rebounds.

Tendinitis had been bothering Lewis since he arrived in Washington, but it flared up especially during a 100-87 loss at Milwaukee on Wednesday. Lewis said the following afternoon he would be able to play against Phoenix, against whom he had 16 points and 12 rebounds, on Friday night, but that he was unsure how his knee would feel in the second game of a back-to-back.

Lewis's performance was all the more significant considering injuries to his teammates left the Wizards extremely short-handed. They were without guard Kirk Hinrich, who was inactive because of a hyperextended right elbow suffered during the fourth quarter of the loss to the Suns, and swingman Josh Howard, who also is dealing with knee tendinitis.

Hinrich had been among the Wizards' more steady voices, having been on the roster since the beginning of the season, but it appears he won't be available for at least the immediate future. That means additional opportunities for Lewis to grow more comfortable as the player teammates look to not just for important on-court contributions but for counsel as well.

"What is he is more than anything, he's a leader," Coach Flip Saunders said. "Everyone has always said he's pretty quiet, but he's been pretty outspoken in that he's been very vocal with our players, our young guys. . . . When things are down, he's the one guy that is always trying to push the guys up."

By Gene Wang  | January 23, 2011; 2:50 PM ET
Categories:  Rashard Lewis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Newest Wizard Mustafa Shakur has memorable debut
Next: Another chance for a road victory

Comments

Like lewis posting up. He and Young need to do more posting up. Wiz need Ohio statess Sullinger in the drafT.

Posted by: ptp09 | January 23, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

He's a much better rebounder/interior player than I believed.

Posted by: SteveMG | January 23, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

he seems to be what we need for a stabilizer. hope that continues.

Posted by: MinuMang | January 23, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"He's a much better rebounder/interior player than I believed."

You're not alone. Get this: in 25 games with the Magic this season, he averaged 4.2 rebounds in 32.4 minutes. In 16 games with the Wiz, he's posting 7.8 boards in 36.6 minutes. His assists are up, too, from 1.2 to just under 3 per game.

In Orlando 44.4% of his shots came from outside the arc. In Washington, it's down to 38.6%.

I imagine this is the way Van Gundy hoped he would play in the first place.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 23, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Unlike the NFL, we do get a draft in this summer before any work stoppage. Dead-line June 30. I say have a viable five in house soon with the two exceptions, JIANLIAN, and our second for 2011, and draft a three with the first round pick.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 23, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

He is giving us a lot more than Gilbert. And so far Gilbert is having trouble getting playing time.

Posted by: Bailey51 | January 23, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

to what being named "Captain"

I use to think being a captain meant something until the organization repeatedly posted that in the NBA it really doesn't...

Thanks, I've changed my mind...

So who cares

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 23, 2011 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | January 23, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Gee who would have thought it would be easier to get rebounds when you are competing either JM or AB for them versus Howard.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 23, 2011 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Post the quote where I said anything about San Antonio and Gee...I'm sure the San Antonio fans didn't care at all about the signing of Gee...they have other things on thier minds...like making the playoffs

I guess the play by play stat guy is wrong since here are a couple of games Mil and Min where Kirk was in the game at the end of both games...why is here in there at all...it should be Wall NY at the guard spots...maybe Flip was going with his 3 guard offense again since it's worked so well

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 23, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

So you say Wall and Young need to play together in the 4th quarter...then as a criticism you post two box scores where Wall and Young play the 4th quarter?

Oh so then you wanna change it to Wall and Young WITHOUT Hinrich. Oh okay cool.

Any FAN would happy with how the Wizards played last night...Why would you care about Young being in the game since according to you he isn't any good? Since YOU said Blatche is the only good draft pick Ernie has ever made.

And the spin continues...

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 23, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Hell yes captain means something. Being a leader means something. The speed of the Team is the speed of the Leader. Folks can say all they want, but yes, without a doubt, the Captain of the Team does indeed mean something BulletsFan78.

However, is Lewis the third Captain now or is he taking Hinrich's captaincy? This is good news to me no matter how it shakes out.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 23, 2011 5:37 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

Soooooo, your objection to Hinrich's captaincy was that he had basically just been added to the team when he was named captain. But Lewis has been with the team even less time than Hinrich......

Posted by: ts35 | January 23, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | January 23, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh...you're expecting Larry to make sense...

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 23, 2011 6:10 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 23, 2011 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I change my mind again till someone else posts a different point of view.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 23, 2011 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh so then you wanna change it to Wall and Young WITHOUT Hinrich. Oh okay cool.

And the spin continues...

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 23, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I would prefer Flip play Wall and NY together at the end of the game WITHOUT Hinrich to find out how they handle it.

I said Blatche is the only good draft pick Ernie has ever made with the Wizards because he;s the only player who ever played any minutes...Yes, I believe a player needs to play the game on the court to find out if he's any good or not...

I'm not one of the people on here who think just because Ernie drafted him he's a stud.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 23, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse

@SDMDTSU and TS35,

There is a huge difference here, even though the time transpired is very short.

Flip himself has said that Lewis has shown leadership on the Team since he has been here and he has been the one to step into the leadership role, actively.

That's the difference and it is a testament to Mr. Lewis. He stepped up and earned by his actions and play the Captaincy as determined by Flip Saunders.

You guys can pooh pooh all you want that this is the same, but it isn't. When Rashard Lewis was traded here and had he been named Captain prior to the first game he played then yes the same as the Wall/Hinrich fiasco, but no, no, no, and no, you blokes, Lewis earned it and Flip Saunders, your man, your coach, said so.

And as my daddy usta' to say and still does, "Now Run And Tell That."

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 23, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Hunh. Coulda sworn they had a month, month and a half worth of training camp and preseason. I guess you can't show leadership then?

Lewis earned it and Flip Saunders, your man, your coach, said so.

He also indicated Hinrich earned it, but you didn't believe him then :)

There is indeed a huge difference, though, and that's basically that you like Lewis and don't like Hinrich.

For the record, I have no problem with Lewis being named the third captain (or not). I think the young guys can use all of the good role models and examples they can get.

Posted by: ts35 | January 23, 2011 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Dem' two blokes still ain't responded. Teach them bout' tryin' to holla at a big dog.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 23, 2011 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Lewis really shouldn't be named either but both he and Kirk provide veteran leadership which is very much needed. We don't know if Kirk was on Blatche's butt about the club issue but I can't see Wall being able to contract respect from anyone on this team that's been there longer than he. I don't think Rose, or the other kid in Sacramento were made captains upon being drafted.

Posted by: zack5 | January 23, 2011 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 23, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse

What's the damn difference? You pulled two box scores...so how many games have Nick and Wall finished a game without Hinrich? Guess you didn't take the time to figure that out right?

I never said everyone he drafted was a stud...but I'm not so hellbent on saying everyone he drafts isn't so that when one plays well I look like a jackass.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 23, 2011 8:13 PM | Report abuse

There is a huge difference here, even though the time transpired is very short.

And as my daddy usta' to say and still does, "Now Run And Tell That."

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 23, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

ts pretty much echoed my sentiments...if Flip said the same thing about Kirk and Wall and had to name someone captain...then what? Your idea was to name Gil captain again and you saw how that turned out last season...and please don't pull that nonsense that you didn't know Gil was a captain last season.

Can you give me an example of Lewis showing leadership?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 23, 2011 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Read Mr. Lee's comments above about what Flip said about Lewis displaying leadership SDMDTSU.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 23, 2011 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Read any of Flip's comments about Hinrich AND Wall showing leadership.

And you're cool with Hinrich's captaincy being stripped...but not Walls?

We get it...you don't like Hinrich.

Get over it.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 23, 2011 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I thought Josh Howard was supposed to be the veteran leader. Just watching Rashard shoot his J makes you kind of nervous.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 23, 2011 9:03 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Just trying not too hard to rub your nose in it, big dog ;-)

Posted by: ts35 | January 23, 2011 9:34 PM | Report abuse

We don't know if Kirk was on Blatche's butt about the club issue

That might explain Kirk's black eye.

Posted by: divi3 | January 23, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Steelers going to the Super Bowl in Arlington, Texas...

Gee maybe if the Wizards can make it to the NBA championships and play the Mavs?

Didn't think so...

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 23, 2011 10:05 PM | Report abuse

If you've ever been a fan of an organization like the Steelers or the Jack Kent Cooke Redskins it's so easy to see the flaws in the Wizards organization.

When Abe used to own the team they were ran like a joke from the top down and that's why I have my doubts in the Wizards current (Ernie and Flip) leadership.

I'll give Ted time to prove he can run things differently...

Ernie has been here since June 30 2003 any sensible fan would realize if he couldn't get it done by now he's not going to get it done...but don't let the Wizards record over that time span get into your way of blind loyalty.

Yes, Flip was brought here to coach Gil, DS, CB, AJ BTH, MM, Fab, Foye, AB, JM, NY...(Ernies dream team) and what did he do whit those guys...pretty much destroyed and made Ernie start his 2nd rebuild project?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 23, 2011 10:23 PM | Report abuse

This upcoming stretch (maybe gauntlet is a better term) should be interesting. Probably the most unusual thing about the Boston victory -- aside from it being a low-scoring win over one of the NBA's best road clubs -- was the shot distribution. That was in part due to Nick Young having a miserable shooting night (1-13, 7.7%). We're used to Nick being hot at home and cold on the road (several mentions by WaPo) and unfortunately he ended that streak in a bad way. The Knicks would be a good opportunity to remedy that, since they don't play a whole lot of defense.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 23, 2011 10:29 PM | Report abuse

"Got to see my Texas Rangers/Washington Senators play there in the World Series and now I'll be going back to watch my Steelers."

Hope the Steelers fare better than the Rangers did. I felt sorry for Texas -- finally beating the mighty Yankees and then finding themselves hopelessly outplayed by a less talented San Francisco club. In front of the Bush family no less; Texan royalty (or at least pseudo-Texan). Then to lose Cliff Lee to Philadelphia -- it must be worse to be a legitimately talented club that flubs badly at the very end. Sort of like the Caps last season.

At least we knew teams like the Nats, Skins, and Wiz were going to lose a lot of games, just by looking at the roster.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 23, 2011 10:40 PM | Report abuse

"I thought that he was, at this stage of his career, mostly a 3-point shooter that could occasionally go insider."

That's funny because that's what I see when I see him play. I'm not a fan of his shot selection, but I am willing to look past that for now because he doesn't seem like a "knucklehead." I wish EG would get a PF that actually wants to be one.

"Ernie has been here since June 30 2003 any sensible fan would realize if he couldn't get it done by now he's not going to get it done."

EG/Flip are not going to get it done. :P

I was actually SHOCKED when they finally decided to put the ball in Wall's hands at the end of the Celtic game. They should have done that from day one.

Flip must have ran to the bathroom or something and left his assistants to chalk that up.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 23, 2011 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Wall, and Kirk is the reason why the wizards lose most of their game. Other team player's are not checking for Wall, they are double, and triple teaming Nick Young the best player on the wizards team. And will be soon going of the wizards team. Wall shote were pure luck.

Posted by: maejude | January 23, 2011 11:17 PM | Report abuse

And I am tired of Wall passing every one the ball, except for Nick Young. Wall is a hater of Nick, because Nick is a pure shooter. Wall is the worse point guard, out their. Keep fooling the kid, now Wall will fine himself overseas.

Posted by: maejude | January 23, 2011 11:24 PM | Report abuse

To me it is rather obvious that Wall isn't a true leader of the team yet. Flip was the one who named Lewis in KH's absence, not me. I even said it was fine with me no matter how it turns out once KH returns. I'm just elated that finally we are getting somewhere on the leadership front when it was clear that neither Wall nor Kirk were clearly not it.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 23, 2011 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I'll give Ted time to prove he can run things differently...

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 23, 2011 10:23 PM | Report abuse

The funny thing about you is that last season you spent all year talking about how Geoff Petrie would be a great guy to have over Ernie. He's been there 15 years...NEVER got it done. Larry Bird in Indiana? Nope. John Paxson with Chicago? Nope.

So why are you such a Petrie fan? What has he ever done to show that he can build a comptetitive team? Answer that one for me.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 23, 2011 11:48 PM | Report abuse

"I imagine this is the way Van Gundy hoped he would play in the first place."

Posted by: Samson151 | January 23, 2011 4:04 PM

I don't see that. I think Lewis was doing what Van Gundy wanted him to do. I hardly think it's coincidence that Lewis's 3-pt attempts took a jump when he went from Seattle to Orlando. SVG wanted his outside shooting at the 4 to stretch the floor for Howard. They already had a post up guy (Dwight) and ballhandling/off-the-dribble combo forward/matchup problem (Turkoglu). Big man shooter was a designated role in SVG's offense, so much so that when they got another one (via trade) in Ryan Andersen, he ended up squeezing their main offseason FA acquisition (Bass) out of the lineup last season so Stan could get even more long-range shooting from the PF spot.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 23, 2011 11:59 PM | Report abuse

"That is a huge difference from being just named the captain as Hinrich and Wall was without earning anything, nothing, nota. Not a single game had been played in the regular season."

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 23, 2011 6:50 PM

So the seven or so years Hinrich spent in the NBA prior to coming here, during which he was frequently noted as providing leadership on a young Bulls team don't count for some reason? Really? Why is that, exactly?

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 24, 2011 12:05 AM | Report abuse

""I said Blatche is the only good draft pick Ernie has ever made with the Wizards because he;s the only player who ever played any minutes..."

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 23, 2011 6:43 PM

In his previous 3 seasons, Nick Young has played 75, 82, and 74 games and averaged 15, 22, and 20 mpg. He also started 23 games last season.

Javale McGee in his previous years: 75 and 60 games, 14 and 19 starts, 15 and 16 mpg.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 24, 2011 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 23, 2011 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Since I don't really like Ernie's draft record I told someone Petrie has found some pretty good players with his picks

Corliss Willamson 13th pick

Ernie

Michael Redd 43rd pick
TJ Ford 8th pick
Andray Blatche 49th pick
Nick Young 16th pick
JaVale McGee 18th pick

Traded Ray Allen, Kevin Ollie and Ronald Murray for Gary Payton and Desmond Mason?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 24, 2011 12:58 AM | Report abuse

"I don't see that. I think Lewis was doing what Van Gundy wanted him to do. I hardly think it's coincidence that Lewis's 3-pt attempts took a jump when he went from Seattle to Orlando."

Well, the Magic changed his role. He'd been a SF in Seattle, then went to PF in Orlando, until they decided to move him back to the 3 this season. That left Bass and Ryan Anderson got the 4 spot. At the 3, the coaches were on Rashard to use his size advantage and post up.

Here's one of the articles:

Posted by: Samson151 | January 24, 2011 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Correction: 'that left Bass & Ryan Anderson at the 4 spot.'

Posted by: Samson151 | January 24, 2011 1:09 AM | Report abuse

I wish the new owner had the authority to over pay for Petrie.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

He traded Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe to the Wizards for Chris Webber and he is on his last year of his contract.

Please who ever the new owner is please give Ernie a raise?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 17, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

...I believe the Kings will be better sooner then the Wizards since Petrie has built a better foundation then EG has.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 3, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 24, 2011 1:13 AM | Report abuse

The funniest thing is...guess what GM has a team with a worse record than the Wizards? Who has a team that has was 3 losses off losing 60 games two years in a row? Flirted with 50 losses for 4 straight seasons?

It's kinda funny he traded a draft pick for Sam Cassell...IN 2009...and he traded a pick for Hilton Armstrong. Let go of the Webber trade...Ernie doesn't get credit for the Caron deal anymore. So a 13-year old trade...come on man. Seriously.

Amazing that all those picks and they still suck....and they are STILL worse than us.

I mean...if he hasn't gotten it done after 15 years...

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 24, 2011 1:25 AM | Report abuse

The Kings surprised me this year -- I figured that with the addition of Cousins at center, they'd be a lot better than they are. Evans would carry the scoring burden and DeMarcus could just anchor his big butt in the low post and wait for the ball to find him. I didn't anticipate Evans taking a step backwards a la Blache (or worse). That's thrown the first half of the Kings' season off-kilter.

Everybody knew Cousins would go through an adjustment period in the NBA because 1) he doesn't take to coaching and 2) he's fat. Neither uncorrectable, but definitely obstacles to rookie success.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 24, 2011 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 24, 2011 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Funny they split the 2 games they have played so far this year...

Sac 116 Wash 91 @Sac Wall, AB DNP

Wizards 136 Sac 133 at Wash Evans DNP

since they don't play again this year I guess it's a tie...

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 24, 2011 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | May 3, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

What's changed since then...oh yea the Wizards won the lottery and got the 1st pick in the draft

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 24, 2011 2:37 AM | Report abuse

Kirk's experience prior to coming here was as weak a factor in being named captain as was Wall's non-experience.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 24, 2011 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Wizards 12 wins...
Kings 9 wins...

I don't see that as a tie.

The Wizards won the lottery...but guess who had a worse record than the Wizards last year too?

How long have the Kings been re-building now anyway?

And that's what you want to overpay for?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 24, 2011 8:48 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 24, 2011 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Flips says Hinrich and Wall are showing leadership = nothing to Larry

Flip says Lewis shows leadership = Happy Larry

I know you wish you could click your little ruby red slippers and bring Livingston back...but it's just not gonna happen.

Seriously though? Gil as captain again? LOL