Posted at 8:06 AM ET, 01/ 5/2011

Another chance to break the streak

By Gene Wang
Morning brew

The Washington Wizards just can't seem to escape the question each time they're about to visit another city: When are they finally going to end their NBA-worst road losing streak?

This time the Wizards try for their first road victory when they meet the Philadelphia 76ers at Wachovia Center tonight at 7. It's the third game between the teams, with Washington having won the first two by a combined three points and both in overtime.

It's also the third time No. 1 overall pick John Wall faces No. 2 pick Evan Turner, who has averaged 14 points per game over his past three games. That's a dramatic increase from his previous 15, when he was averaging a shade over three points per game.

Wall has played particularly well against the Sixers, combining for 54 points and 19 assists. He's made 16 of 31 shots in those two games and gone 19 for 22 from the free throw line.

"The main thing for us is playing defense," Wall said. "The last two days [in practice], we've been picking it up, and I think that's going to help us when we get to the game."

What also may fortify the Wizards (8-24) is having a full complement of players available for the first time this season. All 15 players on the roster practiced for the first time together yesterday, including swingman Josh Howard and guard Kirk Hinrich. Both were inactive in Saturday's 92-81 loss to New Orleans.

Howard missed the game with a sore left knee but said he was optimistic about playing tonight after another day's rest. Hinrich, meantime, practiced for a second straight day after missing the Hornets' game with a left thigh contusion.

The Wizards are 0-16 on the road this season and are the only NBA club without such a victory. Even the two teams with worse winning percentages than Washington -- Cleveland and Sacramento -- each has at least two road wins.

"We've got to know coming into games that we have to play harder than the home team," Howard said. "Also coming in after halftime in that third quarter are also important. You've got to be ready because they're making their adjustments on you, and you're making your adjustments on them, so that halftime speech and preparation is big."

FROM THE POST
More from yesterday's practice.

Fuzzy pictures of Kirk Hinrich's athletic glasses (DC Sports Bog).

Former Wizard Caron Butler is out for the season (The Early Lead).

AROUND THE WEB
According to the Los Angeles Times, JaVale McGee will participate in the All-Star Weekend slam dunk contest.

Truth About It's Rashad Mobley previews a new year for McGee.

In a quest to visit all 30 NBA arenas, Andrew Unterberger recently checked out Verizon Center (The Basketball Jones).

Here's an explanation for why Gilbert Arenas played in the fourth quarter instead of Jameer Nelson for the Magic on Monday. And Gilbertology is alive and well (Zach McCann, Orlando Sentinel).

By Gene Wang  | January 5, 2011; 8:06 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards have entire roster practicing for first time
Next: JaVale McGee excited about dunk contest

Comments

Really, and no offense intended, anybody contemplating buying season tix should have been able to see this coming before the season. Ted didn't even work very hard to hide it. Dan Snyder and the Lerners would have beem spreading BS all over the city to pump up ticket sales. All Ted did was acknowledge a serious rebuilding effort and ask people to support the team through hard times...

Most season tix sales are to business, et al, who use them for marketing, employee and customer perks, that sort of thing. All fully deductible. The casual fan likes to go out for an evening on the town and may be more interested in the other team than the Wizards. Plus there's some curiosity about John Wall. He's really the only guy on this team a casual fan would want to see. Oh Javale can be entertaining for a couple plays, but outside of that... who we got? Imagine you're a fan from Phila or NY instead of DC -- who on that roster do you want to brave the cold to watch?

So don't be too hard on Ted and the crew for not realizing your dream. If money was tight and you sprang for those seats anyway -- you're a better fan than I am, gunga din.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 5, 2011 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I realize they are re-building but they have enough veterans on this roster to be able to kick this streak in the butt now.

Hinrich, Howard, and Lewis should be able to give this team what it needs for a win over the Sixers. That and the Wiz always seem to play them well.

We'll see I guess. If they lose again I'll just continue to blame Flip and his horrid rotations. ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 5, 2011 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I figure Philly will be laying for the Wiz, based on those two close losses.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 5, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Looking forward to seeing McGee in the dunk contest. He could really use the ego boost ::rolls eyes::

Posted by: crs-one | January 5, 2011 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I agree and think with a healthy roster the vets should start and we would have a better record. Wall, Hinrich, Howard, Lewis, McGee

Posted by: jefferu | January 5, 2011 10:12 AM | Report abuse

The streak will end tonight. The team is healthy and we obviously have a psychological edge over Philly this year.

Wizards over the Sixers by at least six points.

Posted by: musicmanjr | January 5, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"Boo-ray" alert: After a card game gone awry, Memphis Grizzlies teammates O.J. Mayo and Tony Allen had to be separated during a physical encounter on the team's charter flight on Monday, according to league sources (Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo!Sports/). And Mayo's face was reportedly swollen afterward (Gary Parrish, CBSSports.com)."

Somewhere Gilbert Arenas is chuckling.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 5, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

jefferu, I agree with your line-ups except KH as a starter. I would put NY in his place as a starter. I think with his play as of late, NY should be a starter with the current line-up.

I just have the attitude that this team is what it is and until there is a change at the top we will continue to struggle...

From a fan standpoint the sports teams in this area are soooo frustrating...

Posted by: TEliasB | January 5, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

What, no DeShawn Stevenson love? Come on, Gene.

Posted by: djnnnou | January 5, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

"Posted by: Samson151 | January 5, 2011 9:32 AM"

I applaud the effort, futile as we both know it is.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 5, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Samson, never ceases to amaze me the length people will go to try to show Dan Snyder is some kind of evil villain. First of all the NBA and NFL are quite different. You can't really market an NBA lottery team as a playoff contender most of the time...because it so rarely happens in the NBA. In the NFL however, we see many non playoff teams become playoff teams year in and year out. The NFL is weird that way.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 5, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

See?

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 5, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Grunfeld=Dinasaur.
Samson151=Sock Puppet/ Marketer
sooooooooo boring.... sooooo obvious.

Posted by: getjiggly2 | January 5, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Are you saying that Wizard's fans should be surprised about having a bad team? How long have you been a fan?

I think I can speak for most season ticket holders when I say it's not the losing, it's the utter lack of direction or promise that's frustrating. To use the fake OKC model example, Durant was tearing up the league in his 1st year. No matter how bad the team was, the fans KNEW "damn, we got ourselves one."

Injuries to Wall and the lameness of Flip and AB have resulted in a season with no emerging talent (other than my boy Nick), and no clear direction as to the type of team we're supposedly building. That's where fan angst comes from, the notion team is taking its lumps without something towards productive rebuilding happening concurrently.

For example, what will be the point of watching Hinrich, Howard, and Rashard log heavy minutes in continued losses? If you're going to be futile, at least develop some players.

Posted by: divi3 | January 5, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

" Wall, Hinrich, Howard, Lewis, McGee
I think the key guys on the bench should be Young, thornton, and Blatche. Blatche I feel is a really good role player but an inconsistent starter.Posted by: jefferu"

You're probably right -- if the Wiz play more vets, they'll end up with more victories. That's usually the way it works in the NBA. But the dilemma is that based on an objective evaluation of their roster, they still won't be a very good team. Plus they'll wind up taking grief from some fans for not playing the youngsters. Been this way for the past couple seasons, and it's still a stalemate.

I'm just glad I'm not Flip Saunders.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 5, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"But to claim that Leonsis ever said this year was going to be "tough times" when talking about selling tickets in the preseason, well you are out of your damn mind. Ted never said anything like that. So please stop trying to re-write history in an attempt to make Ted a God and Snyder a devil.
Posted by: Barno1"

LOL Ted's not a god (you really should make that lower case) and Dan's not a devil. Plus I don't know if anything I could say would make Snyder less popular in Washington than he already is. Vinny Cerrato took care of that.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 5, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"See?
Posted by: kalo_rama"

Do I ever. Sometimes this blog has a sort of Cheech and Chong quality about it. I keep waiting for some to yell, "Dave's not here..."

Posted by: Samson151 | January 5, 2011 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"I think I can speak for most season ticket holders..." posted by divi3

Like I said -- you have my sympathy. I was only going to split a pair with somebody else, and I still couldn't make the numbers work. Maybe if this had been a better year, I would have. After all, pro sports is geared to disposable income -- whatever you've got, they'll dispose of it for ya.

I figured, what's the point of trekking downtown just to watch the team lose? Am I going to sit there and get progressively more irritated? What's the point of that? I can do that in front of a TV set.

So like I said, my sympathy to the fans who spent cash they shouldn't have. I'm sure Ted and Ernie wish I would stop saying that, but it's the way I feel.

If I'd dropped money on season tix, I'd probably be cranky and bad-tempered, too.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 5, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I figured, what's the point of trekking downtown just to watch the team lose?

Posted by: divi3 | January 5, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"If I didnt live walking distance to VC, can't say I would still have the tickets given how bad the team was last year and how easy it is to re-up anytime you want. Not exactly a hot commodity.Posted by: divi3

Don't blame you. I lucked out with a source of freebies which I can access on a limited basis. But mostly I watch on TV.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 5, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse