Posted at 11:02 PM ET, 02/27/2011

Buyout remains a possibility for Mike Bibby

By Michael Lee

Mike Bibby expressed some relief that he got his first shot to fall as a Wizard on Saturday against the Dallas Mavericks. After missing his first five field goal attempts while wearing that bizarre No. 00, Bibby hit a pull-up 17-foot jumper that gave the Wizards a 35-33 lead in the second quarter.

I'd love to do this to you in playoffs, Jason. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

"It was good, finally went down," Bibby said after scoring two points in Wizards' 105-99 loss. "I haven't really did anything for a week over the all-star break. Had to get back in shape. Just tried to get my wind back, get some shots to fall."

Bibby has shot just 1-for-9 in two games with the Wizards, but there is a chance -- albeit slim -- that he may not be around much longer. According to a person with knowledge of the situation, Bibby's agent, David Falk, plans to meet with Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld on Monday to discuss a possible buyout. The person requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the negotiations.

The two sides have had preliminary discussions, according to two league sources, but no formal proposals have been made. Bibby makes $5.8 million this season and is on the books for $6.4 million next season. Bibby would have to sacrifice a lot of money and get waived by Tuesday in order to be eligible to join a playoff team this season.

Portland, Miami and Boston are reportedly interested in signing Bibby if he can reach an agreement. Grunfeld has said he wouldn't close the door on any situation as it relates to a buyout. According to a league source, the Wizards tried to move Bibby again, almost immediately after acquiring him from the Hawks, but were unable to get anything done before the trade deadline.

Bibby, who turns 33 in May, was upset about being dealt from a playoff contender in Atlanta to a lottery team at the trade deadline. Bibby expressed his disappointment on Friday about not being informed of his involvement in the deal until shortly before he was swapped -- along with Maurice Evans and Jordan Crawford -- in exchange for Kirk Hinrich and Hilton Armstrong.

Bibby hasn't shot well, but he has eight assists in relatively limited minutes as he adjusts to having more a playmaker role off the bench in Washington. "In Atlanta, they didn't let me create too much. I'm just trying to get back to the pick and roll game and get everyone involved," he said.

The Wizards (15-43) acquired Bibby, the No. 2 overall pick in 1998, with the hope that he could assume a role as mentor for rookie John Wall. Coach Flip Saunders said the Wizards wanted to have a veteran around to help Wall learn about the position and how to carry himself as a professional.

Bibby hasn't experienced much losing since his first three seasons in Vancouver, making the playoffs in each of the past eight seasons. "I'm just going to help as much as I can. You also have Sam Cassell here," he said. "I think us two will work good together."

By Michael Lee  | February 27, 2011; 11:02 PM ET
Categories:  Mike Bibby
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jordan Crawford gets a surprising call to close
Next: Schedule doesn't get any easier

Comments

shakur must have his fingers crossed.

Posted by: stevie2 | February 27, 2011 11:38 PM | Report abuse

It was only a couple of days ago this site was quoting S.O. B. Falk that Bibby would not try to buyout his deal--why am I not surprised that today he is doing EXACTLY what he said he and Bibby were NOT thinking about a buyout. Falk and Pollin DID NOT GET ALONG after some of Falk's actions regarding Falk's client's--same old--same old. What good is working on a buyout when you need players. I say trade Bibby and get what players you can or get the best draft pick you can.What good is taking money what good is it?? This team needs players who can SCORE or play defense--players that have been in the NBA 2-5 years. This is beyond comprehenson.

Posted by: vergens2 | February 28, 2011 12:58 AM | Report abuse

@Vergens,

Your post is beyond comprehension. First, Falk said Bibby would be a professional even if he didn't get a buyout. Second, they tried to trade him already and got no takers. Third, it has been reported that Falk and Leonsis actually get along really well. Leonsis is not Pollin last time I checked.

So nothing you stated is based on reality!

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 28, 2011 1:37 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what percentage of his salary Bibby would have to give up to get out of his contract? If I am the Wiz, if he is not on the roster next season then he has to give up 6.4 million and that is a big chunk of change even for Bibby.

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 28, 2011 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Don't do it. Hold onto him and use him as trade bait over the summer.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 28, 2011 1:53 AM | Report abuse

"Second, they tried to trade him already and got no takers."

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 28, 2011 1:37 AM

Well, that's not actually what it said. It said "According to a league source, the Wizards tried to move Bibby again, almost immediately after acquiring him from the Hawks, but were unable to get anything done before the trade deadline."

That's not the same as there being "no takers. In fact, that quote coupled with this: "Portland, Miami and Boston are reportedly interested in signing Bibby if he can reach an agreement," and the fact that Bibby only has one more season on his deal at a reasonable price suggests that their inability to flip Bibby in another deal may have had more to do with time constraints, given how close to the deadline the Bibby/Hinrich deal went down than a lack of interest in him.

Holding onto him until the summer and trying to work a deal then (either before or after what seems like the inevitable lockout) might meet with more success. If not, buy him out then. But they should at ;east explore all options.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 28, 2011 2:01 AM | Report abuse

Well, no takers, no deal done. That is what I meant without specifying. But, you're right it might be wiser to use that dangling expiring contract as leverage in some sort of trade later. Of course, if he is willing to part with most of his remaining money, I can see them honoring his wishes as it would benefit both sides. Just not as much as we might "possibly" get later.

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 28, 2011 7:22 AM | Report abuse

I said yesterday that five mill would be the price on his end year contract. Add the balance of this year's, and you've got 6.4 mill [rphilli721]. That's a tidy chunk of change. If I were BIBBY I'd do it. The WIZ can use the money. If not, the trade route is great too.

I can see SHAKUR back on a pro-rated deal for the balance of the season with all of it paid by MIKE BIBBY's ego.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2011 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Frankly, I didn't see a lot of mentoring going on in ATLANTA with BIBBY in the rotation. More every man for himself. I suppose JORDAN CRAWFORD would be able to verify whether that assessment is valid or not.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2011 8:09 AM | Report abuse

They "kind of" need him for the right now. Who is the primary back up PG behind Wall?

I say kind of because Jordan Crawford seems to be a scorer operating off the dribble. I'm guessing he could be used as a six man/scoring PG at times. I am a little impressed by his game though. There are plenty of opportunities to seize a role on this team and he may have the confidence to gain one. He's got game!

Posted by: gmac78 | February 28, 2011 8:17 AM | Report abuse

BUT WHO WILL MENTOR JOHN WALL????

Posted by: divi3 | February 28, 2011 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Keeping Bibby to mentor Wall is a moronic statement, completely ingenuous, when the Wiz have Sam Cassals. Either Bibby can provide important back up minutes or make sure you give him a buy out.

Posted by: bobilly1 | February 28, 2011 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Bibby's already demonstrated that he can provide important back-up minutes. The fact that contenders are interested in him suggests that they also see some remaining value in his play.

Obviously the on-the-court mentor idea isn't the only consideration -- it didn't keep Hinrich in DC, and it's not reason enough to make sure to hold onto Bibby. But it isn't exactly "moronic" either to say that part of Bibby's value is that he offers a veteran presence and skills that Wall can learn from. Wall almost certainly can pick up more from Bibby -- seeing Bibby play night in and night out -- than he would from another rookie, or borderline NBA talent.

Posted by: JPRS | February 28, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm thinking the teams mentioned didn't want to trade for him for two seasons but with a buyout they give up nothing and sign him for the remainder of the season.

Posted by: clwalker1906 | February 28, 2011 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Maybe with our young team and all the draft picks, we can be the worst young team next year and get the #1 pick!

Hate to say it but we have at least 2-4 more years of agony. But at least we are young and not hanging on to GA, CB, BH, AJ.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | February 28, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

It's not like we are going to be major players for '11 free agents. So why not hang on to Bibby so that we can be facilitators for teams looking to dump guys to go after the great '12 class? Bibby is going to have to accept a de minimas buyout - doubtful he'd do that and give up $7M.

Posted by: Dellis2010 | February 28, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Please for goodness sake, let's try a new coach! I truely think that has something to do with it. The guys are young but they need a special coach to get them going. Someone really tough, maybe Sloan. I know that he has retired but nothing is impossible. Get us some help fast. Ernie, you made some dumb moves lately, maybe it's time for you to go also.

Posted by: paulaburto3 | February 28, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I say, dont buy him out... at least your employed and making millions of dollars... be a man and honor the year! I guess I would not make a good owner or GM because I am old school... these babies and their blood sucking agents would NEVER have the upper hand in regards to my team. Mark my words NEVER. Nobody likes being traded but it is better than not working and making money! I want men who are committed to being part of a solution, regardless of the situation!!!! Bibby has had over 10 years to be on a winner.

Posted by: rvanags | February 28, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Good riddance. Atlanta wouldn't have been in such a hurry to replace him with Kirk H. if he still had game left.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | February 28, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I wish we could hurry up and get this buyout thing going with Bibby. I really like Bibby but he's not needed with us and I just would like to see a nice 3 guard rotation of Wall, NY, and Crawford the rest of the year. Very young & explosive

Posted by: dlts2041 | February 28, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse