Posted at 1:13 PM ET, 02/18/2011

Discussion: What are your thoughts for the final 28?

By Michael Lee

The Wizards enter the second half of the season with the third-worst record in the Eastern Conference, but the organization will have some representation at all-star weekend for the first time since 2008. No. 1 overall pick John Wall will have a busy weekend, as a participant on Friday in the Rookie Challenge and on Saturday in the Skills Challenge. JaVale McGee will represent the Wizards in the slam dunk contest.

But before we get to the festivities, let look back at the first half of the season, when the Wizards got just one road win in 27 tries but also recorded impressive wins against Boston and Utah. The team traded Gilbert Arenas to Orlando in exchange for Rashard Lewis, Wall could wind up as the fourth rookie in NBA history to finish with nine assists per game, and Nick Young has at least entered the conversation for the league's most improved player (Did you realize he has the highest scoring average this season of any 2007 NBA draft pick not named Kevin Durant?).

The franchise is headed toward its third consecutive lottery appearance, but I wanted to get your thoughts on the final 28 games. What changes you'd like to see made within the team or the organization? What player would you like to see develop? Do you want the team to keep losing to improve its draft position? Who would you like to see the Wizards add in the draft this summer?

Let's have a discussion. Fire away.

By Michael Lee  | February 18, 2011; 1:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jump ball: Has NBA All-Star Weekend lost its luster?
Next: John Wall wins MVP, sets assist record in Rookie Challenge victory

Comments

Well, I'd like to see them feature Wall. Run some plays for the guy. Give him some help on defense so he can focus on getting his offensive rhythm back.

I'm pretty confident we already know what we have in Nick Young. Maybe he'll stick with the team, maybe he'll bring something desirable in trade. Maybe not.

Not so with Wall. He's not going anywhere. It's time the team focused on the one guy who's sure to be around in the future.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 18, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Go for the lottery, develop young players like wall, booker, seraphin. Trade blatche before the deadline, resign Young or sign and trade for an equivalent offensive player like JR Smith or wilson chandler.

Fire Grunfeld and let flip's contract run out. Hiring a new coach may hurt our lottery chances this year and next year.

Posted by: jefferu | February 18, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

What changes you'd like to see made within the team or the organization?

Fire Flip

What player would you like to see develop?

The unit of Wall, Young, Thorton, Blathce and McGee.

Do you want the team to keep losing to improve its draft position?

It's not a matter of what we want they are going to lose.

Who would you like to see the Wizards add in the draft this summer?

A new GM to make the draft pick.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 18, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

First off I do not consider beating a Mountian Time Zone team (Utah) on MLK day with a start time of 1 pm an impressive win. They where still sleep walking through the first half.

For 2011-12 I would like to see Cassell as head coach and continue to get younger and drop the veterns that they have on the squad now.

Not sold on a first round draft pick yet( if I ha dto pick one it would be Perry Jones out of Baylor) but would like to seem them pick up one of the following in the 2nd round Nolan Smith, Austin Freeman or Chris Wright as a undrafted FA.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | February 18, 2011 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Get a new GM, one who isn't obsessed with immature, soft perimeter players and understands the importance of toughness and physicality in the middle. Let go of Flip, who has never been a good mentor for young players, and who has neither the gravitas to scare them nor the charisma to motivate them. Bring in a new coach who isn't fighting for his job and is willing to play the young players to A) see what the team has and B) leave the team with better chances in the lottery. Improve the training facilities and medical personnel and hire Wall a personal chef/trainer right away. Get a smart, retired big man like Cartwright, Laimbeer or The Dream to coach up our bigs. Draft the best, genuinely tough big man available (Sullinger or Kanter), or Perry Jones, who Wall can grow with over the next decade. Jettison Young, Blatche or Mcghee, three somewhat talented, albeit immature and not well-rounded holdouts from the soft Wiz era, thereby helping to change the losing culture of the team and forcing the remaining two to get in line. Get some new announcers... Steve and Phil have been doing it too long and make a tired product that much tireder.

Posted by: SammyT1 | February 18, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Changes?

None this year (unless a really good deal is on the table).

Player development?

Wall is the most important piece, but it would be nice to see if Seraphin can find a role. Booker is already doing that.

Draft position versus wins?

Wins.

Posted by: JPRS | February 18, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

What a tough predicament it is to look ahead with this team... What I think the team needs to do is to stop keeping the knuckleheads around who don't want to run the offense or just grab it and shoot. I think Nick Young has dramatically improved his ability to score within the offense this season, but I don't think Blatche has at all. He still makes so many head scratching plays. I'd honestly rather see Booker playing, undersized, yes, but a hard worker, and one who will only get better with time. I think they are going to need to get Wall some new forwards, especially a small forward. Josh Howard is a good vet, but injury prone and Thornton is a great talent that can't get it together. I think the jury is still out on Flip, but Ernie really needs to go.

Posted by: WillisMcDougal | February 18, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Changes - Fire Ernie and Flip then bring somebody in from a winning organization to run the team.

Draft, this is such weak draft that if we end up getting the number one pick overall, the best move would be to trade down between 10 - 15 for their position and their 2012 number one pick. Then draft Tristan Thompson or Trey Thompskins.

Trade Blatche for a second rounder.

2012 starters
John Wall
N. Young
J. Howard
Trey or Tristn
Javale -- unless we sign Gasol

Coach: Mark Jackson

Posted by: demonj21 | February 18, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see an effort at what could be the future rotation by playing Wall at 1, Young at 2 and Booker at 3 and giving them extensive time there. I am not sure we have the answers at 4 and 5. My thoughts would be to stay the course with McGee, having no other option, and find a trade for Blache. Generally this would set the stage for next year and get rid of one piece that does not fit ideally finding a replacement at the 4 (Brandon Bass \ Orlando in a trade??) or through the draft.

Posted by: junkmail0153 | February 18, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matte | February 18, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

On Blatche, I've an Andre fan for years. And last season when he was blowing up, I felt totally vindicated. But now, clearly his shot selection is a liability. Him and McGee both, when they get the ball guaranteed it is going to get jacked. Here's the only reason I would be loath to trade either of them: they're both still young guys with some maturation to go through. I mean, they both undeniably have some talents. That's a tough call, and one I'm glad I don't have to make. I can just sit back and criticize whatever choice the FO makes. Best seat in the house.

Posted by: Matte | February 18, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't play Wall too many minutes in lost causes.

Get Seraphin in the lineup more. Let him learn. His upside may be better than Varejao, for example.

Trade Kirk if you can get draft picks and youth with some upside. Give Shakur a chance to be the back-up PG at least for this season... I think he is a keeper.

Test Nick to determine if he is a keeper ... I believe he is that and more.

Test Blatche to determine if he is a keeper... I don't think he is but this is the stretch of the season where he went nuts last year.

Play Booker. Play him (and Seraphin) with JaVale as often as possible.

Spot Martin into games enough to judge whether he is an end-of-bench keeper. They guy hits big shots.

Keep either Josh or Rashard on the floor at all times. They are steady, smart players and can settle the young 'uns down.

Do not play Yi, Armstrong or Thornton unless it is garbage time. They are done here.

Posted by: khrabb | February 18, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Sucks dat we have no All Stars but it would still be great for this Orginization if Wall won the skills comp or got the MVP or the rookie/soph game, or if McGee won the dunk contest.

With him playing with the beast Cousins again and also luckily having Blake on his squad, I could see the rookies pulling the upset and him winning the MVP since he will have the ball more then anyone else. I remember Gil won it one year, I think as a Soph.

Wall also has the speed & passing ability to win the skills comp and alot of vets dont go as hard as possible at it so if he can get dat pass through the tire then he could win that also.

In the dunk contest to me it comes down to IQ again. Our team is always dumb and McGee is one of the worst. He's talented enough to win it but its all about tempo. Those dunks he was doing in that one video is not going to win it. He may even come in 4th. They were good but no one wants to see a 7footer dunk unless it looks like a small man. Those dunks looked like a 7footer and it was all about tempo.

The good thing is that they were practicing so I dont think he was going hard but just watch those dunks in the vid and watch him in games at times. When he gets a running start or goes full speed then he can dunk like a guard. Its going to be about tempo. If he's nervous or just dunks slow like he did in that vid then he will look like crap but if he gets a running start on all his dunks and does it with energy then we could see a Jordan-Wilkins type faceoff. I think all 4 guys can be good if they do it right

Posted by: dlts2041 | February 18, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlts2041 | February 18, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Cap everyone besides Wall to 30 mpg in order to expand the rotations. I'd like Yi to get consistent minutes at the 5, and experiment with McGee and Seraphin at the 4. Do whatever it takes to get Blatche back on track. If he doesn't end the season on a good note he will come back post lockout looking like Eddy Curry. I wouldn't mind running the offense through Blatche when Wall is sitting. The offense has been pretty stale lately anyway.

Posted by: djnnnou | February 18, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

If we can move Blatche before the trade deadline, I will say we had one hell of a year. Gil is gone and if we can get rid of Blatche as well I will say this season was a great rebuilding year..

Posted by: kevenjones | February 18, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I guess there won't be any pre deadline deal for le wizerable. They need a dynamic young frontcourt player in the draft with high BBIQ. D Williams seems the best choice, but Sulinger, Kanter, or the Euro Jonas Bro sound good. No Perry Jones please - we can't afford another high talent soft under-achiever. If possible, get another pick to get the forward on Florida State.

Posted by: Giveussomehope | February 18, 2011 5:07 PM | Report abuse

No change is going to help me understand why McGee plays like a 9-yr old who is a dazed and confused player instead of a back to basics block-out, set screens and sometimes dunks when he is open big man.
-trade R-Lewis for more young/ rough talent (no knuckleheads) b/c he is not hitting shots anymore and draining financial resources. With RLewis gone and more young'ns there, Wall could assert himself more and grow together.
-have Flip be more vocal during games
-sit Blatche and McGee equally when not playing well.
-Wall be more vocal in directing and scolding players on-court.
-hire a big man's coach

Posted by: leopsan | February 18, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

As long as Ernie Grunfeld is the GM, it is hard to take the Wizards or the rebuild seriously. The problem is as much with the moves he does not make as with the uncreative subpar moves that he does make. For their entire 2008 starting lineup, the Wizards have Rashard Lewis, Al Thornton, and part of Trevor Booker (30th of the 30th&35th package). For a rebuilding team, J-Ho, Hilton, and Yi were terrible acquisitions. Dray's extension is looking to be as bad as Etan's. Add to that the fact that the Wizards gave up more than they needed to get Booker. He would have been available at 27th, which was sold for 3 m.

Posted by: emmet1 | February 18, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

TRADE BLATCHE!!!!

Went to the Magic game this week and his attitude and demeanor were horrible. In the 4th, he dribbled the ball for 12 seconds and tried to beat Bass 1 v 1, fumbled the ball away and the Magic players started laughing and chastising him for being so selfish.

His work ethic and attitude are toxic. Get rid of him and out from underneath that contract.

Posted by: saltine182 | February 18, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Trade Blatche and fire Ernie Grunfeld.

Posted by: bupbups | February 18, 2011 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Let's see what Seraphin can do.
Bring Hamady Ndiaye back. Let's see if he is gonna make it or not.
Play Martin & Shakur more.
Let Javale play until he fouls out every game.
No reason to wait til the end of the year and say they need more experience----give it to them now and if they develop good if not cut em.
No playoffs coming for a year or 2.
If someone wants Andray,Rashard, yi or Thorton get what you can.

Posted by: VBFan | February 18, 2011 5:55 PM | Report abuse

The two things I'd most like to see are already being implemented: more PT for Seraphin and Booker.

I'd love to see Blatche moved, but I'm not holding my breath.

Beyond that, there's really not much different that can be done from now to the end of the season. They are what they are and it is what it is.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2011 6:24 PM | Report abuse

If they start the second half with Blatche in the starting lineup, then that sends a message as to what the rest of the season is about. An that message is the organization doesn't give a s--- about the rest of the season.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | February 18, 2011 7:01 PM | Report abuse

"@SammyT1: whoa, you had me till that last bit there. Get rid of Buck and Phil? What? Dude, they are the best in the business. I mean, I haven't heard every team's home broadcast team, but I've heard enough to know that Buck and Phil are class. Top shelf. You don't want to get rid of those guys. Not for love or money.

Posted by: Matte | February 18, 2011 4:17 PM"

Well said. Obviously here's a guy who hasn't lived in any other NBA town.

"Other than that, I think Flip and EG deserve one more year..I personally like the moves EG has made since last season. Outside of being conned by Blatche, he has done a great job of getting rid of our garbage...

Posted by: kevenjones | February 18, 2011 4:51 PM"

Oh really? "Our" garbage? I was under the impression that Grunfeld drafted and/or signed all of them, not me. Or maybe you think you did.

Posted by: KTV1 | February 18, 2011 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I hope this stretch motivates Dray to play harder and do what he did in the 2nd half of last season. Then stay healthy & carry it over to next season

Posted by: dlts2041 | February 18, 2011 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: emmet1
---------------
and... Seraphin is a stiff and will never be anything in this league.
Fire Grunfeld already!!!!

Posted by: member8 | February 18, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

trade blatche and lewis for kwame

Posted by: theredskin | February 18, 2011 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I personally think we need reliable help for McGEE at the five and a three with our first pick in the draft.

ARMSTRONG can't handle the load, and N'DIAYE is obviously not ready for an NBA game, and may never be. A trade now for a solid contributor to run with JaVALE is imperative.

HOWARD will not prove much of anything short of next year,and may never recover his game ala GILBERT ARENAS. I don't see THORNTON or MARTIN being the answer at the SF slot. We need our first round pick at the three - TERRENCE JONES might be an option.

This would finish off the first round remake. There will be others. I don't think EG wants to abandon either BLATCHE or YOUNG before he's through moving other pieces onto the club.

I don't see EG going anywhere for the balance of this year or the next two seasons. After 2012-13, I think the die will be cast on GRUNFELD's tenure. FLIP's may be shorter.

If I had one choice on coaching, I would wish TOM THIBODEAU as head of this team.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 18, 2011 8:39 PM | Report abuse

McGee - move to PF where he is matchup nightmare for opponents.

Armstrong - let go after season.

N'Diaye - I like the little I have seen. Worth holding on to as a 3rd center/project.

Yi - too soft, just seems out of step... let go after season.

Seraphin - backup PF, work into more prominent role off the bench.

Blatche - trade. Try to get a starting quality center (ex. Cousins, Lopez, M.Gasol, Bogut), or some kind of a draft pick and/or expiring contract.

Booker - move to SF, work into more prominent role off the bench.

Posted by: Darnell1 | February 18, 2011 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Lewis - keep as vet and competition for starting forward.

Thornton - he is "ok", plays hard. Let go after the seaon.

Howard - keep as vet and competition for starting forward or off bench as SF/SG.

Martin - team guy, 3pt shooter off the bench. Keep him.

Young - sign to extension, keep him starting SG.

Hinrich - keep as vet G off the bench.

Shakur - keep as backup PG.

Wall - starting PG.

Posted by: Darnell1 | February 18, 2011 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Draft pick - SF Terrance Jones

#1 free agent priority - starting center

Posted by: Darnell1 | February 18, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts?

HOOOOOORAY!!!!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 18, 2011 11:46 PM | Report abuse

#1 priority should be to trade Blatche and maybe McGee. They both may be able to help a contender, but they just are not disciplined enough and may never be. Get draft picks or rotation players in exchange.

Harrison Barnes/ Jared Sullinger / Terrence Jones would look really good in this lineup next year. I'm fine with Seraphin/Armstrong/Ndiaye at center.

Posted by: bdbd20 | February 19, 2011 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Get a new GM. Duh.

Get rid of AB. Before our very eyes the guy has gone from promising to disappointing to incredibly bad. Trade him for half a bag of stale chips.

Get rid of JMac. On any half-decent team this stringbean wouldn't be getting two seconds of playing time.

Keep NY. NY is an outstanding offensive talent who would do a lot better in the absence of distractions like AB and JM.

Listen to Sammy and get rid of Bucky and Phil. Get an announcing team that actually pays attention to the game. I hate listening to these guys and would listen to the radio broadcast if it weren't for the video delay.

I'm inclined to say fire Flip, but where are you going to find a better coach who's willing to coach this team?

Posted by: shovetheplanet | February 19, 2011 12:59 AM | Report abuse

BEFORE TRADE DEADLINE
-Trade Blatche for sure, and if anyone would take Lewis, Thornton or Yi, trade any or all
-Wizards are going to have to unload at least $1.1M to get under the Salary Cap

OFFSEASON
-Let Ernie go, maybe Flip
-Offer Qualifying Offer to Young, but not Thornton or Yi. Neither is worth $4M or $5.4M
-Draft more people like Wall, Booker & Seraphin
-Needs are more scoring & physical paint play
-I love Howard when he can play, but will the knees ever be right? If docs think so, I offer another value contract
-Find out if Emir Preldzic can at least come over for Summer League, if not Training Camp too
-I really like the trio of Wall, Young & Hinrich, and I would not trade Hinrich. His presence is worth his contract (See Derrick Rose for proof why)
-I would offer N'diaye another contract, but I need the last 28 to decide on Martin & Shakur
-Armstrong already a memory. Too bad for him, but he clearly is out of all plans

Posted by: djnumb | February 19, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: djnumb | February 19, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"Strongly disagree with the idea of replacing Buck & Phil. Phil is constant face of the franchise's great success, and Buck is the voice of the fans.

Posted by: djnumb | February 19, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse "

I don't have an issue with keep Bucky around, since he's the play by play guy, but Chenier, who's supposed to be an analyst, is a sorry excuse for an analyst. He just verbalizes each player's action. There is no in depth analysis on the set or the play or anything. It's such a breath of fresh air whenever the games are played on ESPN or TNT (rare) and you have some real analyst who draws diagrams and makes predictions on the offensive or defensive approach.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 19, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts for the final 28? Wht would I like to see? I'd like to see a fast forward to the end of a dreadful season.

Changes? Sure Blatche could be traded, Javale could too. Blatche is an obvious target but the problem is that he can't play when he's pressured and defended. He did well last year but as the only low post threat this time around, once he was targeted, he folds.

Blatche, Lewis, Young - the whole brunch really, absent Wall and Howard - are a bunch of role players. And it shows. We're lousy. Red Auerbach couldn't make tis mess work, so you can fire Flip if you want but it doesn't matter.

Bottom line is this. With the cap room we need to look at

Posted by: fenderdeluxe | February 19, 2011 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts for the final 28? What would I like to see? I'd like to see a fast forward to the end of a dreadful season.

Blatche, Lewis, Young - the whole brunch really, absent Wall and Howard - are a bunch of role players. Few if any starters there. Sixth man types. And it shows. We're lousy. Red Auerbach couldn't make this mess work, so you can fire Flip if you want to but it doesn't matter.

Bottom line is this. With the cap room, we need to look at Free agents, two of them who can put he ball in the basket, the next couple of years, hope for another high draft pick and work them in with Wall. Guys like Booker and Heinrich can be worked in as well. T

Posted by: fenderdeluxe | February 19, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

The remainder of this season will be unwatchable as long as Flip and Ernie continue to be in charge of this team. Unfortunately, I'm a season ticket holder and I cannot GIVE AWAY my tickets.

If the Wiz end up with the first pick again,I have no faith that Ernie will select the right player.

Here is a list of Ernie's "outstanding" draft picks over the years:

Peter John Ramos
Jarvis Hayes
Steve Blake
Vladimir Veremeenko
Oleksiy Pecherov
Dominic McGuire
Bill Walker
Jermaine Taylor
Nemanja Bjelica ----WTF is he?
Lazar Hayward
Juan Carlos Navarro --- Never showed up!
Devin Harris (traded)

What do you have to do in this town to get fired???
2009 #5 Pick (traded)

Posted by: squidward1 | February 19, 2011 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Announcers? You mean that you guys don't turn the sound off?

Although I hate to blame everything on management, I agree that Ernie really has to take most of the blame for lack of talent on the roster and the lack of success in past years when there was plenty of talent.

Posted by: larryrob | February 19, 2011 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: djnumb | February 19, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 19, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse=================================================DAAAGEEER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buck & Phil are GREAT. Take whatever good YOUNG players available. Beit by trade OR draft.

Posted by: Mikereese23 | February 21, 2011 5:19 AM | Report abuse