Posted at 12:35 PM ET, 02/28/2011

Jump ball: Should the Wizards buy out Bibby's contract?

By Washington Post editors

Yesterday Michael Lee blogged that there is a slim chance that the contract of recently acquired point guard Mike Bibby will be bought out.

Commenter JPRS presents a case for keeping the veteran:

Bibby's already demonstrated that he can provide important back-up minutes. The fact that contenders are interested in him suggests that they also see some remaining value in his play.

Obviously the on-the-court mentor idea isn't the only consideration -- it didn't keep Hinrich in DC, and it's not reason enough to make sure to hold onto Bibby. But it isn't exactly "moronic" either to say that part of Bibby's value is that he offers a veteran presence and skills that Wall can learn from. Wall almost certainly can pick up more from Bibby -- seeing Bibby play night in and night out -- than he would from another rookie, or borderline NBA talent.

What do you think? Should the Wizards buy out Bibby's contract? At what price? What is the value of his veteran presence?

By Washington Post editors  | February 28, 2011; 12:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Schedule doesn't get any easier
Next: Wizards, Bibby reach buyout agreement [UPDATED]

Comments

I think Bibby's contract will be a valuable trade piece next year as an expiring contract. If we can hold onto him without him becoming a distraction then we should.

Posted by: jon_quest | February 28, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Yes! Give him a shot at the Title. Wizards lose nothing by doing so. Bibby is OK at this point in his career, he can be easily replaced.

Posted by: AllDCSports | February 28, 2011 12:47 PM | Report abuse

They might as well keep him this year, more to spell JW during games than to mentor him. Not that Bibby lacks the veteran sagacity mentioned, but the Wiz don't have another PG other than these two, unless they were to sign a d-leaguer.

So although he's been declining steadily for years, and I wouldn't expect him to run a very efficient half court, keep him. At least he can jack some threes, and the Wiz will have a true backup at the 1.

Posted by: bigtriumverate | February 28, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd say keep Bibby.

The cost of his contract isn't much of a burden, and the terms are attractive enough to make him a tradeable asset either this summer or next year.

I think the franchise is taking the right approach on this one. I don't know how they'd do the calculation, or the accounting for this, but I'd guess at a minimum that a buyout would zero out the cost for 2011-2012. I don't think you entirely scrap the buy-out as an option -- it's important to maintain good relations with players and agents (within reason) -- but there's no way that I'd pay him the full value of the existing contract up-front.

Posted by: JPRS | February 28, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I'll go 50-50 on the buyout, and that's my final offer.

Posted by: EdDC | February 28, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to see news reports that this is a done deal. They bought him out.

Posted by: jweber1 | February 28, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I say keep him. Between Mike Bibby and Sam Cassell, John Wall will get a darn good education. However, I can see Ernie messing this up too.

Posted by: wade_carver | February 28, 2011 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Mike, you think he has value as a veteran mentor to Wall? Really? Obviously the Wiz were trying to deal him and didn't have enough time. Someone tipped their hand to let Bibby know he was wanted elsewhere. As a matter of fact, it was probably dumb to play him in the first 2 games. Having Bibby on the hook for 6.2mil next year isn't a good use for the cap. I suspect Mo Evans won't be here past this year and the pick up of crawford and a later first round pick is the plum in the deal. Otherwise , why trade Heinrich?

Posted by: bobilly1 | February 28, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse