Posted at 4:15 PM ET, 02/25/2011

New Wizards arrive, expected to play in Miami

By Michael Lee

The paperwork for the Wizards' trade deadline deal with Atlanta was completed on Friday afternoon, so Mike Bibby, Maurice Evans and Jordan Crawford will be in uniform when the team plays the Miami Heat at American Airlines Arena. The three players took a red-eye flight from Phoenix and joined the team on Thursday but were held out of the morning shootaround. They watched on the sidelines in non-Wizards T-shirts and sweats.

Bibby was upset about being dealt from a playoff contender to a lottery team in Washington, but he said that he will not pursue a buyout at this team. "That's nothing I'm really worried about right now," Bibby said.

Bibby said what upset him most about getting trade was that he wasn't informed of the move in advance. "I didn't know until the deal was done. When you're an older guy in this league, I think you deserve the respect to get told that something is in the works. But that's the way this business is. You have to deal with what's put in front of you. I'm professional. I'm going to do whatever it takes to help this team."

Evans said his familiarity with Flip Saunders and his system should help with his adjustment. He played for Saunders in Minnesota as a rookie, and was a member of a Detroit Pistons team that won 64 games. "I'm comfortable. This is my third time with Flip and I'm just trying to come in and play hard and hopefully make a positive impact on this team. Everything I have is all positive. This is my first interaction. I'll be interested to see where I fit in, where I can help out. it seems like they have a lot of young talent."

Crawford said he was excited about possibly getting a chance to play with the Wizards after riding the bench in Atlanta. "I have a new start, play with a lot of young players, I'm just looking forward to these last weeks."

Evans and Crawford should get a chance to play, with Al Thornton out because of a sprained left ankle.

By Michael Lee  | February 25, 2011; 4:15 PM ET
Categories:  Jordan Crawford, Maurice Evans, Mike Bibby
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Andray Blatche gets into a Twitter beef?
Next: Open thread: Wizards (15-41) at Heat (42-16)

Comments

dont worry bibb...we will use u in another trade this summer.

thanks,

Posted by: mrhney03 | February 25, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, this is the Wizards lowest point ever (along with maybe the Hamilton year), right? I'm not just referring to record - this team has gawd-awful decision makers and players up and down (with 1 exception).

Ted, EG and Flip - where winners work.

Posted by: MikeNelmsReturns | February 25, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I kind of understand Bibby's position of not being informed. Too bad the older players are just traded like a trading card but everyone complains why LeBron chose to leave Cleveland at the end of his contract. It's just like the military, you draft me and send me where ever but on my next tour, I'm choosing, even if it's to go home. When your contract is up M Bibby, you can go home too!

Posted by: zack5 | February 25, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

"Thanks for the reminder. Some sort of mental illness or personality disorder at work there

Posted by: Samson151 | February 25, 2011 9:20 AM | Report abuse "

Seriously do, you got no game whatsoever. Keep watching out for Shakur.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 25, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 25, 2011 9:20 AM | Report abuse "

Seriously do, you got no game whatsoever. Keep watching out for Shakur.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 25, 2011 5:07 PM | Report abuse

By Michael Lee | February 25, 2011; 4:15 PM ET

Evens yea i see that happening Crawford...wish he will but this is the same coach that lets Ab and Yi take TB and KS min's. =/

Posted by: YEAwizards | February 25, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"Seriously, this is the Wizards lowest point ever. . . "

Posted by: MikeNelmsReturns | February 25, 2011 4:40 PM

Wow. You must be new around here. I mean really new.

"Lowest point ever . . ."?

Ahhh, the innocence of youth.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 25, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"Seriously, this is the Wizards lowest point ever. . . "

Posted by: MikeNelmsReturns | February 25, 2011 4:40 PM

Wow. You must be new around here. I mean really new.

"Lowest point ever . . ."?

Ahhh, the innocence of youth.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 25, 2011 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow. You must be new around here. I mean really new.

"Lowest point ever . . ."?

Ahhh, the innocence of youth.

Posted by: kalo_rama

Yeah, no kiddin. I had season tix in the early 90's, pre-Juwan, C-Webb, etc. When we were pinning our hopes on Rex, Harvey, Pervis, Googs, Calbert, Don MacLean and the coaching of Wes.

Posted by: ts35 | February 25, 2011 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Tracy McGrady, Tayshaun Prince, Richard Hamilton and Chris Wilcox missed the team's shootaround Friday morning before that night's game against the Sixers in Philadelphia, and team sources told multiple media outlets that the players were staging a protest. - ESPN

I guess the Pistons are getting in deeper water than the Wizards.

Posted by: Dave381 | February 25, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse

From SI.com on the Gerald Wallace trade:
"On Friday, arena employees were scrambling to cover up all likenesses of forward Gerald Wallace, the only All-Star in franchise history, who was traded to Portland a day earlier for role players and draft picks."

"And while Jordan's employees were defending the owner and insisting the six-time NBA champion isn't cheap, Jordan declined to attend a news conference announcing the latest jolt to Charlotte's roster in the past year."

"For the Bobcats, that appears to be down the road as they begin a rebuilding effort despite making the playoffs for the first time last season and sitting just 1 1/2 games behind Indiana for the final postseason spot before Friday's game against Sacramento."

"We don't want to be in that seventh or eighth spot. We want to get to that championship level," [Rod] Higgins said. "That's the plan."

"Thursday's trade gave Charlotte two first-round draft picks, including New Orleans' choice this season provided it's not in the top seven. The Bobcats will get another protected first-round choice from Portland as soon as 2013, meaning both selections will likely be later in the first round."

"Numerous players at shootaround Friday said they were stunned with the news of the deal and another that sent backup center Nazr Mohammed to Oklahoma City for reserve forward D.J. White and guard Morris Peterson, who will be waived."

"Guard D.J. Augustin called it "sad" and said Wallace and Mohammed "were like big brothers to me." Guard Stephen Jackson said he was as close to Wallace as he's been to any teammate in his career."

"Down the road you'll see some of the benefits of this deal," Higgins said.

Hope so.