Posted at 6:18 PM ET, 02/ 1/2011

Open thread: Wizards (13-34) at Hornets (31-18)

By Michael Lee

Eastern Conference rookie of the month John Wall was named to the rookie team during All-Star weekend with his former Kentucky teammates Eric Bledsoe and DeMarcus Cousins, Blake Griffin, Derrick Favors, Landry Fields, Greg Monroe, Gary Neal and Wesley Johnson. Wall will conclude a rough point guard stretch against all-starter Chris Paul, but Coach Flip Saunders was pleased with how well Wall defended in Dallas. "We've been on his butt about being aggressive defensively. I thought that he was really aggressive and he had a lot of popping to his stuff and he's just got to build off this. We've got another great challenge." The Wizards did not sign point guard Mustafa Shakur to another 10-day contract on Tuesday, but they intend on bringing him back later in the week after his right ankle recovers. New Orleans will be without center Emeka Okafor, who suffered a strained oblique muscle on Sunday in Phoenix and will miss one to three weeks. Okafor had 17 points and 15 rebounds when the Hornets defeated the Wizards 92-81 on Jan. 1 at Verizon Center.

Let the conversation begin in the thread below. You can also join the conversation on Twitter with Michael Lee (@MrMichaelLee). See your tweets here by using #wizards.

Tipoff: 8 p.m.; TV: CSN; Radio: 106.7 FM. Check out a live box score from tonight's game here.

By Michael Lee  | February 1, 2011; 6:18 PM ET
Categories:  John Wall, Mustafa Shakur
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall wins Eastern Conference rookie of the month
Next: Road trip ends with another loss

Comments

What I like about Wall is that when he does get beat by one of these other point guards, even the best of them, he looks as if he's thinking to himself, "dammit! I'm better than that guy!" And in his case, he just might turn out to be right.

We'll see.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 1, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Looks like we inherited another cheap owner. Instead of commenting on the sad state of this basketball team, he consistently brings up his revenue exploits derived from his marketing initiatives.
As a fan, I really don't have much interest in learning about how deep his pockets got since he acquired the team.
They couldn't even resign Mustapha Shakur to another 10-day contract because of a benign inujury? Doesn't that make him available to any other team now?

Posted by: Utilityman1 | February 1, 2011 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I think they want to resign Shakur when he is healthy so the ten days will have a better chance of being productive.

The team is not in a sad state, it is young and rebuilding, which was the stated purpose of the owner to begin with.

Posted by: cannontl | February 1, 2011 10:00 PM | Report abuse

As you watch this game against the Hornets, a decent but not great team, you realize just how little talent the Wizards have. It's a really a shame what ownership has done to the fans simply to lower the payroll.

Posted by: larryrob | February 1, 2011 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't get in on the Jump Ball post, but thanks for the roast guys. Would have been easier on the psyche if you guys had added some humor along with your vitrolity.

I almost got the feeling that some haterism was going on there. Why would that be?

I just stated my opinion and yes that 4th paragraph was all mine.

I hope your disdain for my post/s did not spoil it for everyoneelse, for I think what the Insider started in quoting a poster is a good thing.

It isn't nice to be snutty just for the sake of it. What happens when yawls turn comes round.

I am sure I won't be as snutty, but thanks to Samson151 for getting it.

Well yes, it did pump a fella up and I guess by some of the comments somes of yawl felt miffed.

Butchasee my comment about offensive structure came from Glen Consor when he analyzed the winning game against Boston when it appeared that Flip was giving John more freedom on the court to run the offense.

Though once a player receives the ball, of course he has the freedom to do with it as he wishes, within the scheme.

I hope the next one up on the Insider, really has his point examined moreso than rather we like the way he or she posts or not.

But, it is all good for I am pretty darn certain I do a pretty fair job as any poster here.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 1, 2011 10:32 PM | Report abuse

If there is a level below pathetic, that is where the Wizards are right now. They plain stink !! A sorry showing tonite .... nothing new.

Posted by: SkinzFanzz | February 1, 2011 10:32 PM | Report abuse

This just sucks big time

Posted by: suliman215 | February 1, 2011 10:34 PM | Report abuse

This just sucks big time

Posted by: suliman215 | February 1, 2011 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I hope the streak continues until the Wiz play Cleveland...now that is a game worth watching...just the fact the winner will end a looooonnngggg losing streak will make it must see entertainment...and if the Wiz lose........fireworks in the front office for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: pentagon40 | February 1, 2011 10:36 PM | Report abuse

30 years of losing , I think i am done .

Posted by: suliman215 | February 1, 2011 10:44 PM | Report abuse

What about them Tarheels dusting off Boston U. in their gym? Go Heels. The surprise Team in NCAA this year. Isn't that weird?

Ahh, I guess the Heels don't play to well rounds here either. Huh!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 1, 2011 11:19 PM | Report abuse

All there is to do at this point is wait for the draft.

Maybe they can dump Lewis and/or Hinrich to a playoff contender. Hopefully we can find a taker for Blatche.

A player I'd like to get is Marc Gasol. Memphis could be willing to deal him fearing his loss to free agency with nothing in return. The Wizards can offer Blatche who is actually 2yr younger and has better numbers, and he's signed to a reasonable longterm deal.

If we could get a player like that... we could go with McGee at PF where he'd be a real difficult matchup for alot of teams. I'd be open to keeping Yi, and possibly Armstrong, to backup Gasol if they can be resigned at low cost. Seraphin can backup McGee at PF. I would go with Booker at SF, give him a full offseason to work at that position and perimeter skills. I'd also be looking at SF with our draft pick. I'd also consider keeping Thornton at low cost.

Nick Young, ideally he's off the bench. I'd like to pick up another 1st rounder for Hinrich or Lewis to look for another SG... thinking a Larry Hughes or Josh Howard type, a do a little of everything type.

Posted by: Darnell1 | February 1, 2011 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Like 5 games ago Ive noticed that Dray's body look different. Like he's slimmed down and doesnt have that added fat he had all season. He has no muscles and all that but atleast he's got the weight off which makes him a bit quicker so now its just all about energy & effort with him. He hasnt played with much of that on a consistent basis lately but I wouldnt be shocked at all to see him continue from tonight and finish the year off strong again which will give some hope for next year.

I liked how both him & NY drove & went inside more. I hope Dray gets that its ok to do that and that his shooting percentage will go way up while I hope NY realizes that his J will be easier to get if he mixes it up with drives more. I like the fact that we are letting NY handle the ball more on drives instead of just letting Wall do everything while others finish.

I also still see that when Lewis sets a pick he stays there and Wall easily gets in the lane but it doesnt happen with nearly anyone else, except maybe Booker. Thats all Flip's fault. He's hindering our easiest play. I still will also love to see more of NY in the post, espically against smaller guys. Probably time to start McGee with Dray again and see how we finish out the year. I like the way that we are still competeing on the road for the most part even if we do still come up with the L

Posted by: dlts2041 | February 2, 2011 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Indisputable fact: if Gil was on this team he would have willed us to get lucky and win a road game. Not saying it was a horrible trade getting rid of his inflated contract, but Rashard's isn't much better and he is playing like a bum. I'd rather see the Gil X factor on the court if we're going to be horrible. At least that way it wouldn't be so boring watching the Wiz pretend to play basketball. I feel bad for Gil having to take a backseat to Jameer Nelson because he has to live in Orlando now and has clearly lost the will to live.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | February 2, 2011 6:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bosshog7169 | February 2, 2011 6:00 AM

I drew the same conclusion after watching the Wizards play fairly well, then come up short again. The Wizards don't have anyone who can take over a basketball game.

About last nights game vs the Hornets: "It's Groundhogs Day, All over again". The typical scenario: The Wiz play reasonably well, stay within 10 points and fade at the end.

Until we get a third reliable scoring option to support Nick Young and Andray Blatche, we will continue to be the laughing stock of the NBA.

Posted by: musicmanjr | February 2, 2011 7:01 AM | Report abuse

I don't imagine Gil regrets going to Orlando -- they told everyone who would listen that Nelson would retain the starting job. Otis Smith's hope was that Gil would be a factor in the playoffs. He's just happy to be going to the postseason again, I would think.

Things don't get much easier with Orlando, Atlanta, and Milwaukee (which always seems to play well against Washington) coming to town. It's a rough part of the schedule and will no doubt contribute to the general malaise.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 2, 2011 7:59 AM | Report abuse

I hope things works out for Gilbert. I remember the good feelings I had to see former Bullets to win a Championship, Rip, Rasheed (ball don't lie), and Big Ben.

Though they did not do it here, it still felt like a piece of the Wizards doing something.

Would love to see Orlando break through with Gilbert aboard. Even Miami has Miller shooting the three now, something I got terribly pissed about him not doing here.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 2, 2011 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bosshog7169

Neither indisputable nor a fact. And I'll guess you haven't seen Arenas play much since he left Washington.

I've watched recordings of every game he's played in Orlando, and although the Orlando faithful are holding out hope that he'll metamorphose into the Gil of old when playoff time arrives, I'm beginning to doubt that possibility.

Arenas himself says his problem is arthritis and he'll be fine once the weather warms up.

Posted by: nmik | February 2, 2011 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Jameer Nelson is head & shoulders better PG than Gilbert Arenas ever was, is, and will be..

Gil has zero chance of taking Jameer's job. ZERO..

Posted by: kevenjones | February 2, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@kevenjones

I'm a huge Wizards and Gilbert Arenas fan. You can't help but have big respect for a player who basically came out of nowhere and became one of the NBA's top players.

I don't agree that Jameer Nelson is a better player than Gilbert Arenas. I also don't think a good player should ever lose their job if their production and hunger remain constant.

With that said, you do know that being a better player seldom the only consideration when deciding who will play (or start) in the NBA or at any other level?

Posted by: dark_knight | February 2, 2011 2:55 PM | Report abuse