Posted at 8:35 AM ET, 02/24/2011

As the trade deadline approaches ...

By Washington Post editors
Morning brew

The Wizards dealt Kirk Hinrich and Hilton Armstrong to Atlanta last night in exchange for Mike Bibby, Maurice Evans, Jordan Crawford and a 2011 first-round pick.

The team then proceeded to get blown out by the 76ers. After the game, John Wall openly questioned the competitiveness of his teammates. It was another wild night in Philadelphia.

And to top things off, Andray Blatche joined D.C. Sports Uniform Fail Hall of Fail (DC Sports Bog).

AROUND THE WEB
Mike Prada explains why he's lukewarm on the Hinrich trade (Bullets Forever).

Kyle Weidie takes a closer look at John Wall's postgame comments (Truth About It).

As the trade deadline looms, David Steele examines what the King wrought (FanHouse).

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo!Sports, Lisa Olson of FanHouse and Johnette Howard of ESPNNewYork.com weigh in on Carmelo Anthony's arrival in New York.

And while Anthony and Chauncey Billups debuted at Madison Square Garden, the Nets' acquisition of Deron Williams briefly stole some of their thunder (New York Daily News) and Knicks owner James Dolan veered into testiness (New York Times).

In other trade news, Baron Davis was reportedly dealt to the Cavaliers (Yahoo!Sports).

And as you contemplate Mike Bibby wearing No. 0 for the Wizards, here's another way to remember Agent Zero. (Update: The Wizards have tweeted that Bibbywill wear No. 00.)

By Washington Post editors  | February 24, 2011; 8:35 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Another wild night in Philadelphia for Wizards
Next: Jump ball: What do you think of the deal?

Comments

interesting article by mike prada. but i still think it was a great trade. crawford as nick youngs back up, bibby as walls backup. now time to get rid of flip for the long term, and let mcgee go out and play some minutes and learn.

Posted by: skinsfan09 | February 24, 2011 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of trades. Ponder this. The Miami Heat are pestering the Mavaricks for Brendan Haywood in exchange for Mike Miller.

Go Figure! Guess they figure that Haywood is a better fit than Dampier and Miller.

But so far, the Mavs aren't budging. Interesting, huh, Kalo_rama.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 24, 2011 9:02 AM | Report abuse

But so far, the Mavs aren't budging. Interesting, huh, Kalo_rama.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 24, 2011 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Guess the Celtics shouldn't have let Eddie House slip away either. Haywood...or any 7footer that takes up space...would be servicable for THAT team.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | February 24, 2011 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anybody seriously thinks the Wiz plan to hold on to all those players. Evans comes off the books after the season and Crawford is the sort of young buck that gets thrown in as part of some other trade. Armstrong might actually see some minutes in Atlanta so Horford doesn't have to play center. Question is what to do with Bibby. He may not be here next season either.

I doubt that NY's and NJ's moves inspired this. The Hawks needed some defensive help. Kirk is very reliable and playoff-tested. Glad to see him get a chance to play elsewhere.

Some of the many posts about Kirk around here this season have been among the silliest I've ever seen on WI (and that's saying something). The wise men say that while it's never good to be ignorant, it's far worse to be ignorant and think you're smart.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 24, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I don't know how many of you saw that Clips' PG Baron Davis is going to Cleveland for PG Mo Williams. The Cavs get a '11 first rounder and also give up Jamario Moon. Davis reunites with former coach Byron Scott but still can't be happy about this -- he's probably texting Mike Bibby.

Davis is owed $29 mil over the next two years, so Cleveland obviously wanted the guy.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 24, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Prada,

I said all along that Hinrich in the beginning was overused and overhyped. I said it was best for him to come off the bench as the backup and it would fit the team better.

I knew and could see it from the beginning. I don't know what Flip's problem was.

Sometimes we place too high a value on a player and then go out and overuse that player and the player looks bad. This is Fliplike.

Moving on, I think that Bibby will pan out to be much better than anticipated. I don't think that Hinrich will fair as well as Atlanta thinks he will.

Remember, when Tom took over Chicago, though they were in the Lebron Sweepstakes, they got rid of Hinrich and Hinrich way surprised by it. You would have thought that Tom's defensive mindset might have saved Kirk but it did not. I guess they needed the money moreso than his play.

Another thing about Bibby is that he really isn't a team setting point guard. Bibby is a shooter first in my book. His father was as well.

Somehow, I feel that will be a pleasant surprise for the Wizards, not to mention the fact he is an experienced veteran.

However, all of this means nothing with Flip coaching. All of these folks that keep blaming this poor play on the players need to get a clue.

I've played basketball and trying to play game after game running sets after sets and plays after plays and trying not to make mistakes is just a crazy ludicrous way to try and play a game and much less to win one.

But this is the way Flip wants to play.

Is it any wonder we are starting to see a pattern in the 3rd and 4th quarters. We may not win 3 games the rest of the season with the way Flip is coaching this Team.

You can't play basketball as if it is some play that you have rehearsed. But Flip coaches his Team that way.

In basketball, you just have to let the players play. They got to the NBA because they could play and you can't orchestrate their every move on the court.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 24, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Hinrich is a nice solid NBA player. Plays every day and is a good all around contributor. Exactly what the Hawks needed.

But on a bad team - a real bad one like this - his weaknesses are exposed and his strengths minimized. He needs good players around him to succeed.

A good team wants a Hinrich to complement the team; a bad team can't use a Hinrich because he's has little to complement.

For the situation, Grunfeld got as much as he could.

Posted by: SteveMG | February 24, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave381 | February 24, 2011 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"But so far, the Mavs aren't budging. Interesting, huh, Kalo_rama."

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 24, 2011 9:02 AM

Not especially, no.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 24, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

About that Prada piece: there's another guy who blew the call on a player and now wants a mulligan.

That's the thing about the ignorant... as long as they have one another to agree with, that's all they care about.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 24, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | February 24, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Loved Wall's postgame comments, he might as well take control of this shipwreck over the next 20 something odd games. If there has to be locker room blowups as "established" players bristle at a rookie calling them out...so be it! That's what we need

Posted by: divi3 | February 24, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

For the situation, Grunfeld got as much as he could.

Posted by: SteveMG | February 24, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Well stated, SteveMG. Let's hope that Hinrich's departure doesn't have a negative impact on John Wall. You could tell by his Comcast post-game interview that he wasn't very happy with losing Kirk as a mentor. On the other hand, as the remaining team captain, John may have to take on a leadership role in the locker room and on the court.

Posted by: musicmanjr | February 24, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

divi3,

What if that rookie player called the coach out? Would the Wizards trade Wall for calling Flip out, like Utah did to Deron?

Would Flip just quit if Wall called him out?

Man, would it be any worse if Wall called Flip out?

The way I sees it. Wall gonna be calling the players out for the rest of the season.

Hell, he might as well get some bang for money's worth.

Call the the Coach out Wall. It would be stuff that legends are made of. It would simply be friggin genuius.

Nick Young gave a little chirp chirp and then the whole Team got muzzled, it's been said.

But let the Franchise Boy John Wall call out the coach.

One can only dream.

If Wall went on a rant and not only laid into the players and at the same time just laid into the coach for being ultimately responsible, I guarantee you, the Verizon Center would sell out.

Thinking about making a few dollars, just chalk it to a family spat Mr. Leonsis.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 24, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"McGee was yanked after another lapse on defense led to a three-second violation and he took it out on Wizards assistant Randy Wittman, who criticized him on the bench. McGee said his anger was rooted in that he's "tired of losing. Tensions build up when you're tired of losing."

Apparently, McGee doesn't realize that his numerous mental miscues contribute mightily to losing. Be nice to hear McGee say he's got to concentrate and do a better job of executing what he's been taught.

Posted by: bobabuie | February 24, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I didnt get that. Surely Wall likes Kirk etc etc...but everytime a vet leaves, it's easier for Wall to be a vocal leader. Now Bibby is here, but Wall was here first and it's his team. No need to defer. And we'd better hope Wall doesnt need mentoring from another player. He's the #1 pick, franchise guy who has a PG oriented coach in Flip and the savviest of savvy PGs in Cassell...that should be plenty

Posted by: divi3 | February 24, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I think it's time to start Book.

Posted by: jon_quest | February 24, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

But let the Franchise Boy John Wall call out the coach.

One can only dream.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 24, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

The thing is Larry...someone HERE said the team was muzzled. No reports (since you say everything is reported) it was a figment of someone's imagination.

Here's another conspiracy theory...what if Wall really DID appreciate and learn from Kirk?! Maybe Wall thinks it IS the players and not the coaches!

Of course that couldn't be it. It's just easier to say "I played basketball...that's not how it should be done."

You just sound like Uncle Rico on Napoleon Dynamite... "man...30 years ago...if they would've put me in...we would've won that state championship.."

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 24, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I never understood all the Kirk hate...he did what he was supposed to and at least played hard and gave effort on defense. Since everybody wants the Wizards to make a big move....not sure what is out there but it helps having multiple picks to trade.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 24, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 24, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 24, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

There is no evidence that Uncle Rico couldn't ball 30 yrs ago! I think Flip mighta coached his team though.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | February 24, 2011 11:31 AM | Report abuse

What on Earth are you babbling about? Did I miss a reference to another article or blog you made up? Or are you just salty that you have to be a Hawks fan now?Posted by: divi3"

LOL Spoken like the truly ignorant.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 24, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | February 24, 2011 11:31 AM | Report abuse

The way he was throwing that football pretty much summed it up...just about as much as Larry does whenever he talks about "runnin' and gunnin'"

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 24, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

"but everytime a vet leaves, it's easier for Wall to be a vocal leader. Now Bibby is here, but Wall was here first and it's his team. No need to defer. And we'd better hope Wall doesnt need mentoring from another player. He's the #1 pick, franchise guy who has a PG oriented coach in Flip and the savviest of savvy PGs in Cassell...that should be plentyPosted by: divi3"

What I mean by ignorance: putting the burden of leadership on the shoulders of a 20 year old. Loading him up with unrealistic expectations, because some 'fan' -- BTW, is divi short for 'dim vision'? -- thinks he 'should' be able to handle them. After all, he's the number one choice, right?

But you'll always be able to find somebody to agree with you -- take comfort in that.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 24, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

LOL samson sure is pissed to see kirk go.

Posted by: divi3 | February 24, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I love hearing those comments from Wall. A lot of great links above. I was especially amused by the last one about Gil's shoes. Ridiculous.

I don't get all this talk about how Hinrich was this great leader and tried really hard though. I never noticed any outstanding play from him or extra effort. I always thought he was overrated in Chicago, and he didn't seem to care as much here. I'm glad he's leaving. I can't remember any of these amazing Defensive plays people cite. In fact I remember him regularly getting burned by faster players even more than he did in Chicago where Rose seemed happy to see this unathletic little guy leave so they could start winning some games. I feel like just because he is white and has no tattoos and is polite people just assume he is this excellent Defensive leader who tries harder, but the only people I've seen try this year are Booker and Wall. Not trying to bring race into it but I am just trying to understand this esteem for Hinrich, and prejudice is the only explanation I can come up with so far for the love of this Kansas white boy who has been unimpressive since he made it to the pros with the exception of one year back in 2006 maybe. Bibby is ten times the pro that Hinrich could ever hope to be. Bibby is getting old for sure, and I actually thought he would be surpassed by Teague this year in ATL but he is still going strong. I think he is the perfect backup for Wall for the next 0.5-1.5 years. I just keep seeing all these posts stating that Hinrich is better than Bibby which infuriates me because this has never and will never be the case. Excellent work on this trade.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | February 24, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

"Posted by: bosshog7169 | February 24, 2011 11:47 AM"

Almost a full day since the trade went down before the ignorant, asinine race baiting starts. Have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed. I expected better effort. Moronic racists usually tend to be quicker on the trigger about these things.

Take that ignorant crap somewhere else and keep it there, please.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 24, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm a white guy and I'm not attached to that explanation, I'm just saying as someone who actually watches the games I'm not seeing it. I just don't think if he looked like Shaun Livingston people would automatically assume he is so awesome. He is a bench warmer on one of the worst teams in the league and he's overpaid and we got rid of him. Hooray! I can't figure out the love for this guy. Can you explain how he is better than Bibby?

Posted by: bosshog7169 | February 24, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

His defensive void aside, Bibby is a guy who could have value to a contending team in a backup role. Wouldn't be surprised if the Wiz flipped him in another deal before the day is done. If not, he's a skilled pro who can shoot the ball and run a team reasonably well. He's an adequate placeholder for the rest of this already lost season. With the almost certain lockout looming, next season isn't much of an issue right now.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 24, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

"LOL samson sure is pissed to see kirk go."
Posted by: divi3"

LOL nah, I think he's the lucky one, don't you?

Posted by: Samson151 | February 24, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I think Hinrich also has a defensive void though this year with the exception of a play here and there every few eeks. Bibby is much better offensively and knows more about the game in general. He is a great and proven pro. Hinrich had a decent year four years ago and played great in college almost a decade ago. Plus Bibby fills our Arizona guard quota with Gil and Shakur gone. This is a win.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | February 24, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"Can you explain how he is better than Bibby?
Posted by: bosshog7169"

Yes, but I'm pretty sure it would be a waste of time. At this point, why not just let Kirk get on with a trip to the playoffs? Save our sympathy for Bibby.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 24, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

"Plenty of players have started slow and gone on to have good to great careers. Ben Wallace. Tyson Chandler. Chauncey Billups. Jermaine O'Neal. Etc."
Posted by: ts35 | February 24, 2011 12:28 AM

And plenty more players have started slow and gone on to have undistinguished careers. Which is why comparing McGee's stats to cherry-picked stats of other players at the same stage is a meaningless exercise with regard to charting his growth potential.
Posted by: kalo_rama

Which is why I catch a break I guess, because I never compared stats. But I'll drop the discussion right there, because this already has the feel of one of those kinds of arguments where no one will come up with a satisfactory answer because you've already decided that there isn't one.

Posted by: ts35 | February 24, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Mike Prada panned the original trade for Hinrich, and now he's "lukewarm" to this trade. When did he become such a second-guesser?

Posted by: djnnnou | February 24, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobabuie | February 24, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

where did u read that at?

Posted by: mrhney03 | February 24, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Howard Fed Up!

“If guys don’t want to play, they’ve got to sit down,” Howard said. “We just can’t have guys or anybody out there not playing hard.”

Posted by: djnnnou | February 24, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

"Which is why I catch a break I guess, because I never compared stats." Posted by: ts35 | February 24, 2011 12:19 PM

Didn't say you did. But the person who actually initiated the discussion did, and since you were piggy backing onto their argument it seemed fair game to reference that element, since it was the basis for the discussion.

"But I'll drop the discussion right there . . . " Posted by: ts35 | February 24, 2011 12:19 PM

Oh please. If you really had any interest in "dropping the discussion" you'd have just dropped it rather than continue it it in different thread on a different day just so you could try and make a show out of getting the last word.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 24, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"McGee was yanked after another lapse on defense led to a three-second violation and he took it out on Wizards assistant Randy Wittman, who criticized him on the bench. Andray Blatche eventually had to step in to get McGee to calm down.

"A lot of guys are starting to get frustrated with the losing streak," Blatche said.

McGee said his anger was rooting in that he's "tired of losing. Tensions build up when you're tired of losing.""

Posted by: bobabuie | February 24, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

Or, just posted my response in the most current thread after I read your response this morning.

Posted by: ts35 | February 24, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | February 24, 2011 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 24, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

aples and oranges SD.........aples and oranges lls

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | February 24, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

really one p in apples huh? lay off the peyote hollywood

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | February 24, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"Mike Prada explains why he's lukewarm on the Hinrich trade (Bullets Forever)."

Mike Prada is an idiot.