Posted at 12:15 PM ET, 03/ 9/2011

Jump ball: An all-rookie lineup?

By Washington Post editors

In last night's loss to the Bucks, the short-handed Wizards turned to an all-rookie lineup. With John Wall, Jordan Crawford, Trevor Booker and Kevin Seraphin in the game, Hamady N'diaye joined that group with 36.6 seconds left in the first quarter, marking the first time a team had used five rookies at the same time since Houston did so on March 1 of last year.

Today on his blog, Ted Leonsis endorsed the move.

What do you think? Where you happy to see five rookies in the game at the same time?

By Washington Post editors  | March 9, 2011; 12:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards get set for in-season 'training camp'
Next: Andray Blatche has right shoulder strain

Comments

What's the point?

They are just going to lose anyway. Keep Wall and Booker and you can dump the rest of the team and it still won't matter.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 9, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm a glass half-full type of fan, even if it's half full of urine. Seems it took having nothing left but young players for Flip to play young players. This must have been in EG's master rebuilding plan.

This would also be the first time in recent memory that the Wiz work towards player development in their younger ranks. I'm not yet convinced that will be how it plays out. But if it does, I'm all for it.

Posted by: creativefunk | March 9, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

any lineup that keeps yi off the floor is good.

Posted by: skinsfan09 | March 9, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I liked the idea and liked their energy. Just wish they didn't have to learn to play NBA ball from being schooled by the other teams Vets instead of being taught by our Vets. Oh wait . . . we don't have any Vets.

Posted by: okelley2nd | March 9, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me that you need some "structure" to determine how the rookies will play. Just throwing out 5 of them simply for the idea of giving them minutes doesn't make sense.

It's quality minutes in a quality environment that will help them development.

More gimmick than productive.

Although at this point, what's the downside?

Yeah, I argued with myself. Too much Charlie Sheen I guess.

Posted by: SteveMG | March 9, 2011 1:09 PM | Report abuse

That's it! They need Tiger Blood!

Posted by: okelley2nd | March 9, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"At one point last night our coach played 5 rookies at the same time. I was happy to see that. Our young players need minutes and we need to be able to gauge their strengths and weaknesses on the go forward."

Translation:

"We are positioning ourselves for a higher pick in this year's lottery, folks. KTHXBYE."

Posted by: roscoepcalhounbrownjriii | March 9, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

It has been very difficult watching this team this entire season and many seasons before, so I can understand why people say these things.

But the change we should try to understand is we have a new owner. Next year we are changing these funny as* colors while improving the team. These players all should be better next season especially this draft class. We need to fill out our roster because we have alot of one year and expiring deals (josh howard, cartier martin, yi, mo evans, nick young, ndyae,shakur)thats six roster spots. we have 3 draft picks to sign and maybe squeeze out one free agent, like jeff green or wilson chandler. out of that group i only expect young to come back. for next season 2011-2012

now the third year (2012-2013) in this rebuild if the players get better which i think they will(booker,crawford,wall,seraphin) along with lewis, blatche, resign young maybe add jeff green, get lucky in the draft(2011-2012) and get sullinger this team will be ready to be in sign a big name free agent in the 2012 summer, perhaps a brook lopez, kevin love, andrew bynum.*** note-- if Dwight Howard goes to LA bynum would def go somewhere else and we can throw alot of bread at him because were staying under the cap and developing players

This team will be a playoff team for the next ten years if they are healthy and stick together especially with a big man the caliber of bynum or lopez. SO as ted says always: be patient

Posted by: mrhney03 | March 9, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Start em next game.
Let's see who wants to bring some energy.
Bring in some other d'leaguers and see what they got. Don't waste pt with Yi, gimpy Lewis & Howard.
Maybe we'll make a run. We're only 30 games out.

Posted by: VBFan | March 9, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

the lineup is not beneficial to there development, there better off sprinkling some vets in there. in flips words it was "style over substance"

Posted by: skinsfan09 | March 9, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Well no, I can't say that I was. Not even happy about Flip's annoucement of a 3-day training camp.

I guess he has to to get everyone on the fasttrack to running his system.

Slap me. Did I put running and Flip's system in the same sentence?

By the way, isn't McGee still a rookie judging by criticism he gets?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 9, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I still say that we need a new coach and GM and then see what we can do. Someone hard and tuff with the players. I like flip's personality but he's not tuff enough for these young boys, but while you are still here flip keep them praticing shooting the ball. That should be a daily and regular routine.

Posted by: paulaburto3 | March 9, 2011 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I guess he has to to get everyone on the fasttrack to running his system.

Slap me. Did I put running and Flip's system in the same sentence?

By the way, isn't McGee still a rookie judging by criticism he gets?
LarryInClintonMD.

Nope, just judging by the way he plays.

In case you haven't been watching Larry, the Wizards have been trying to run a lot more lately....and getting scorched. Turns out they're not good at that either.

Posted by: ts35 | March 9, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"I still say that we need a new coach and GM..." - paulaburto3

I agree with that much. Not going to talk too much about the GM role because that's been beaten to death. As for a new coach, I think that while Flip is a very good coach, and can be successful with the right type of team, he's not a good fit for a young team in full rebuilding mode.

I think we'd be better off hiring someone who is good at developing players, especially defensively. Even if that person is only around for 2-3 years then needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, I'm not a coaching expert, but I'm sure there are assistant coaches out there qualified.

Or hell, if Erik Spoelstra gets replaced I think he'd be a good fit. Or someone similar to the Van Gundy's.

Posted by: segastyle | March 9, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"By the way, isn't McGee still a rookie judging by criticism he gets?"

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 9, 2011 2:17 PM

No, but he plays one on TV. And, unfortunately, the basketball court.

And since when are only rookies subject to serious criticism? What a ridiculous implication.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 9, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

They looked pretty sick out there.......and I DON'T mean in a good way.

Still, that's what should be happening night in and night out for at least a few minutes of each game. I'm with ownership here.

BTW, McGEE should be added to that group as a sixth member. After all he played like one last night.......rookie that is.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 9, 2011 10:46 PM | Report abuse