Posted at 8:07 AM ET, 03/ 7/2011

John Wall: 'I think I'm getting my step back'

By Michael Lee
Morning brew

He has won Eastern Conference rookie of the month honors again, and he came within two assists of his second career triple-double in a win against Minnesota, but the real proof that John Wall is starting to regain his pre-injury form came near the end of the first quarter against the Detroit Pistons.

Jason Maxiell made two free throws, Wall took an inbounds pass and sprinted up the court for a layup before the Pistons could even set up their defense. Wall went from one end of the floor to the other in just six seconds.

"I think I'm getting my step back a little better than I had before," said Wall, who has been playing better basketball since losing nearly 11 pounds in the past month. Wall has scored in double figures in nine of his past 10 games, averaging 19.5 points and 8.5 assists over that stretch.

He had a game-high 24 points with seven assists in the Wizards' 113-102 loss, but proved to be resourceful, as he overcame a poor shooting night early on by repeatedly pushing the tempo and getting to the foul line. "He had a good game," fellow rookie and Georgetown alum Greg Monroe said. "Obviously his athleticism; his speed. He showcased all that."

Wall made a career-high 12 free throws on 13 attempts, getting off to a good start when he coerced Ben Gordon into fouling him on a three-pointer in the first quarter. But Wall was aggressive, as he responded to Rodney Stuckey attacking him, by going right back at him. "Coach Z [Don Zierden] just said, 'Attack. Push it every chance you get.' And Coach Witt [Randy Wittman] did, too. I think I just did a good job of getting in the lane and finding seams. I'm lucky I made free throws; that was the main thing."

FROM THE POST
Here is the game story from yesterday's contest.

Flip Saunders talked about the dissension in Detroit.

For Sunday's newspaper, columnist Jason Reid wrote that although he's convinced the Wizards made the right choice, he's worried about rookie John Wall.

Here's another look at Trevor Booker's putback dunks from Saturday's win over Minnesota (DC Sports Bog).

AROUND THE WEB
Jon Kelman hands out his keys to the palace (Bullets Forever).

After the Heat's loss to the Bulls on Sunday, Adrian Wojnarowski weighs in on the LeBron James-Dwyane Wade partnership (Yahoo!Sports).

Billy Witz says the Lakers played like champs but acted like chumps in Sunday's dismantling of the Spurs (FOXSports.com).

Chris Paul suffered a concussion during the Hornets' win over Cleveland (nola.com).

By Michael Lee  | March 7, 2011; 8:07 AM ET
Categories:  John Wall, Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New Washington Wizards logo?
Next: Jump ball: What's in a name?

Comments

Why is John Wall playing so many minutes? 45 minutes? He is more effective within games having played fewer minutes, he'll be more effective the rest of the season having played fewer minutes, and he'll be more effective in future seasons not wearing down his body.

Posted by: audacitea | March 7, 2011 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Did they change his diet? I hope they did, because that video of his apartment alone would add 5 pounds just looking at his pantry closet.

Posted by: meatkins | March 7, 2011 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Great to see the Heat cry and struggle. Now the whole world can see what Wizards fans saw in LeChoke James. But great stats though!!!

Posted by: skinsfan09 | March 7, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

So John lost 11 in a month and Dray can knock that lard off all season? Great.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | March 7, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

The first sentence of the 3rd paragraph of Jason Reid's piece reads "But I'm not worried about John Wall."

In Mike Lee's summary of Wizards news above, it reads "Columnist Jason Reid wrote that ... he's worried about rookie John Wall."

I mean, come on. Why do we need all this regurgitation if it's inaccurate? There's no reason to mis-summarize things.

Posted by: Urnesto | March 7, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Is Wall still wearing the Zigs?

Posted by: djnnnou | March 7, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

@SDMD,

lol...that is exactly what I thought when I read this. Blatche is still sluggish from a broken foot during the summer. For some reason, I question his dedication. Call me crazy.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 7, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Wall has been wearing the original Reebok questions since I can remember....

Posted by: SDMDTSU | March 7, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

... Shoe Conspiracy lives!

Posted by: djnnnou | March 7, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

hes still wearing reeboks tho so Kobe's advice isn't the cause.

Posted by: bbachrac | March 8, 2011 12:11 AM | Report abuse

I dunno if Kobe's advice was worth the 25 mil he'd lose for backing out on reebok (a la Vince carter signed w/ Puma before the slam dunk contest his rookie yr....Nike swooped in, developed a signature shoe for him and paid his penalty for breaking Puma's contract). Either way he's not wearing his signature shoe anymore this year, so I think Kobe's point was taken.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 8, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse