Posted at 7:30 AM ET, 03/ 7/2011

New Washington Wizards logo?

By Washington Post Sports

It's no surprise that the Wizards are planning to revert to the red, white and blue color scheme of the Bullets days, but we may have our first indication of what the actual logo (back of the jacket, on left) might look like.

Update: Ted Leonsis just blogged about the logo on Ted's Take:

Many of you have seen a new version of a Wizards logo circulating online. We won't get into confirming or denying the validity of any logo designs. We appreciate and understand the excitement surrounding the new color scheme, and we are planning a comprehensive brand launch. We will announce the specific date for our public unveiling event soon and look forward to sharing our new brand identify with our fans.

By Washington Post Sports  | March 7, 2011; 7:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Open thread: Wizards (16-45) at Pistons (22-41)
Next: John Wall: 'I think I'm getting my step back'

Comments

The team has a logo before a new medical team & GM, now that's keeping your priorities straight.

Posted by: closg | March 7, 2011 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Unless the logo reads "Bullets"....not interested.

Posted by: RichinVA | March 7, 2011 8:25 AM | Report abuse

That is just terrible...if we are going to change we might as well change back to the Bullets. For the love of G-d...please just change the name back. We need to change the culture of this whole thing.

Posted by: jbk1186 | March 7, 2011 8:28 AM | Report abuse

LOL! That was misleading. I was excited for a second to see it, it's not a new logo, it's the same exact logo just colored red whie & blue. Kinda cool to see though.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 7, 2011 8:33 AM | Report abuse

But yes I agree... change it back to BULLETS!!

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 7, 2011 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Can we get some more information on this? like it is it legit? or is it from a random message board?

Oh, and its better than what we have now...

Posted by: rc2223 | March 7, 2011 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Sorry guys, but Ted is too Liberal to revert to the (somehow) un-PC nickname of "Bullets."

Posted by: CapsNut | March 7, 2011 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I don't think so -- that would be the one design that sells even worse than the current one.

And if "Bullets" are too destructive, how can there still be Grizzlies, Bobcats, Raptors, Wolves, "Heat", and ROCKETS? (I still think "Generals" is the natural choice, since people still show up to to be entertained by the visiting team.)

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 7, 2011 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to scrap the whole design of the logo, which always looked to me like somebody cut out some random triangles and threw them against a piece of flypaper. Changing the color isn't going to fix the problem.

They need something more elegant. And they need the weirdly obsessed boneheads out there to stop braying that the team name should revert to the absolutely HORRIBLE "Bullets." The only thing that "Bullets" had going for it was its alliteration with "Baltimore," where they no longer play. It was always inappropriate for D.C., which has a problem with too many bullets flying around in some neighborhoods.

I can only assume that those who want to reverse the name change have some affiliation with the NRA, because there certainly isn't any sense behind such a desire.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | March 7, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse

While I wish we would revert to the name Bullets, I can see why Ted would not want to. At least drop Wizards for something else then though. The name is terrible, as is the logo. Let's throw both of them out and bring in anything else!

Posted by: NEW2 | March 7, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse

i love the bullets name. i already knew about red white and blue from last season but i didn't think they would change the name just yet because of some ongoing dispute

Posted by: skinfan2k | March 7, 2011 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I hope not.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 7, 2011 9:22 AM | Report abuse

It's not working. It looks substantially worse than it does now. I think the DC logo in the new color scheme looks good on the Mystics jackets. However, a red Wizard with the current silhouette just doesn't look right. By the way, bring back Hoops!

Posted by: audacitea | March 7, 2011 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah, let's change the team name to "Generals," to honor a sham basketball team that lost every single game by an overwhelming margin to a bunch of clowns.

THAT'S a good idea! Anyone who blame the Wizards' current fortune on the team name is an idiot. The Wizards' problems have a root cause, but its name is Ernie Grunfeld.

By any objective or subjective measure, "Wizards" is an excellent name for a basketball team that plays in Washington. It is only out of a very weird nostalgia that anyone could actually want to change the name back to "Bullets." Remember, they were "Bullets" for a long time and won only one championship, and that wasn't because they were called "Bullets" but because they had Elvin Hayes and Wes Unseld on the team.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | March 7, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I doubt if that is really a mockup of a new logo. Looks like someone had to use something to represent the Bu'zards on that jacket. Don't think the name issue is a matter of liberal or conservative. I'm as much of a lefty as you'll ever meet and I'm in favor of Bullets. It's more an issue of disrespecting Abe, I think, as misguided as he may have been on the name. Go you mighty Sea Dogs!

Posted by: truke | March 7, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

The organization should change it's name to the "Necrophiliacs" . . . (drum-roll please)

Because the only teams that it can score on are the ones that don't have a pulse.

That was a little too easy . . .

Think the red, white, and blue uniforms are fine. As far as the logo goes, not so hot on the new one, but the question is how it looks on the uniform. I still think the team should look at a different name. I don't know of too many fans who are attached at this point to the "Wizards".

Posted by: JPRS | March 7, 2011 9:35 AM | Report abuse

same logo, different colors? #vomit

Posted by: DCPowerGator | March 7, 2011 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals

Perhaps they should be the Visitors then?

Plus, your argument about the Bullets name might be more valid if more Raptors were used in drive-bys...

Posted by: nkeitt | March 7, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

What difference does it make WHAT logo we have if Ted is still going to be GM. We're still going to be a losing squad regardless of what's on the jersey.

Posted by: cbmuzik | March 7, 2011 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I just threw up in my mouth...

Posted by: MEssex | March 7, 2011 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Bring back the Bullets!!!

Posted by: ScottChallenger | March 7, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

The more I look at it the more I like it, at least compared to it now. Really alot of the teams logos are kinda lame if you look at them.

I am psyched about the color change. Personally I would like a name change to something more patriotic such as The Washington Glory or perhaps The Washington Capitols.

But wizards is a basketball term and I'm ok with it. I do like a color change. I kinda like the idea of a look like the DC flag, red & white stars and stripes. In any case anything's better than the ugly blue they have now. And I would advocate "WASHINGTON" across the jersey instead of Wizards.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 7, 2011 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I have never liked the wizards logo.

I do like the bullets but I understand the concerns of public perception.

Why not something that represents the City of Washington....I have always thought the Washington Monuments would make a great logo/team name for a basketball team.

Posted by: sbelzr | March 7, 2011 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Terrible.

Ted, call em the Washington Justice...and incorporate a gavel into the logo.

Posted by: ttassa | March 7, 2011 9:56 AM | Report abuse

...they need a completely new name. Suggestions:
"Capital Crap"
"DC Dumb*ss"
"Washington Waste"
"Capital City Chumps"

Posted by: oddjob1 | March 7, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Godfather_of_Goals wins this thread. Hands down.

Posted by: bs2004 | March 7, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Washington Seadogs. You're welcome.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 7, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I don't care what the logo looks like... CHANGE THE NAME.

I don't care what you change it to... Wizards is patently offensive to me.

Posted by: Cobalt1 | March 7, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

oh, for god's sake, how hard is it to come up with a logo and team name that a grown man can support without being embarrased? Wiz continue to fail on both counts. Meanwhile, even though they stink, at least the Nats got the name, logo , and uniforms right from the beginning...

Posted by: jvandyck | March 7, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Washington Pitchforks

Posted by: cbmuzik | March 7, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

...how about:

"Ted's Toads"

Posted by: oddjob1 | March 7, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsNut | March 7, 2011 8:46 AM | Report abuse

BS..I think eventually we may get our name back...

BULLETS please..

Posted by: kevenjones | March 7, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

What is the obsession with the name Bullets? Does anybody remember how much they sucked for the last 15 years they had that name? Or the fact that the name doesn't even have anything to do with DC? Why not at least change to something that relates to the city if we're going to change it, but I don't understand what was so great about having the Bullets name.

Posted by: meatkins | March 7, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

this is so ridiculous. change the name back to the bullets already

Posted by: slick3 | March 7, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I like The Washington Justice. Then, if a fan comes into the Verizon Center looking for Justice, the players can ignore all the empty seats and tell the fan "That's what you got--just us!"

[Notice how I didn't say "The Verizon Center (where my Verizon Blackberry gets no bars even on the bleeping concourse!")]

Posted by: OldDad | March 7, 2011 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I like the old white guy logo. It has a geeky lord of the rings vibe. I never knew Wizards started in Washington.

Obvisiously sarcastic. Didn't Juwan Howard name the team? I thought it brought bad luck IMHO.

Posted by: NoPartyAffiliate | March 7, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Bring back the Bullets name. Geez how hard can it be.

Posted by: Fontana1 | March 7, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

They should really be nostalgic and use the old Baseball name, Washington Senators. Both are really expensive, don’t perform worth crap and are embarrassing to see on TV.

Posted by: GabsDaD | March 7, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

like the colors, but looks UGLY as part of the current wizards logo

Posted by: bermudml | March 7, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Change the blue to green and it looks like a freakin Christmas elf. The horror...

Posted by: johnb5 | March 7, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Looks like the short bus let off in the Wizards Insider comments section again.

Posted by: IrenePollin | March 7, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Eewwwh! I just threw up in my mouth!!

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr81 | March 7, 2011 10:56 AM | Report abuse

...how about:

"Ted's Toads"

Posted by: oddjob1
_________________

lol...

Posted by: cbmuzik | March 7, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Ted has made it clear that they are going to remain the Wizards. There is no point in discussing it anymore. However, in a Wizards color scheme it is much more appropriate to emphasize the blue than the red. Have you ever seen a red wizards costume?

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | March 7, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Ya know, Bullets aren't just used in PG county. Bullets have been an integral part of obtaining freedom for this country. The Revolutionary War, ya know arguably the most important war in our history, was won with a common goal and well, BULLETS. Washington DC wouldn't be here without those Bullets. Forget the over sensitive false notion that bullets always have to carry a negative connotation. Bring the BULLETS back. You can thank me for the history lesson later.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | March 7, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | March 7, 2011 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Have you ever seen a red wizards costume?

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue
The KKK...yeah, need to change that.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | March 7, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, it would look better IMO if the ball/moon and "W" were red, and the arms & legs were blue.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 7, 2011 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Terrible.

Ted, call em the Washington Justice...and incorporate a gavel into the logo.

Posted by: ttassa | March 7, 2011 9:56 AM

ttassa,

Back in the day when they were in the process of selecting a new name for the Les Boulez, this was actually one of the names on the final list. Plus it was actually my number one choice too. I've despised the name Wizards since its inception. I'd love to see Ted change the name either back to the Bullets (not that I'm crazy about that name either, but it's better than the Wizards). But I'm 100% behind JUSTICE. It really connects with the heritage and legacy of the region that the team is to represent (isn't that a key element in the branding process?).

Posted by: humen8r | March 7, 2011 12:07 PM | Report abuse

One more thing I want to remind you guys.

Five days left to win TWO TICKETS to the Lexus Suite at the Verizon Center for the game between the Washington Wizards and the OKC Thunder on March 14. So far we’ve had a ton of people sign up to participate in the contest, but no clear cut winner at this point. And I did get a confirmation that Big Gheorghe Muresan will be stopping by for a brief visit. Check it out: http://bit.ly/e4XGaY

Posted by: humen8r | March 7, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Ted updated the news surrounding that hideous logo. I certainly hope they put more thought into it than just changing the colors to red, white and blue.

Posted by: sec404 | March 7, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I think changing the color sceme back to red white and blue is going to push me over the edge and find a new NBA team.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | March 7, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Who really cares? They are the Wizards for crying out loud.

At least the name Bullets had some history.

Posted by: mrcox54 | March 7, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

go to the link and now its the EXACT same colors the team currently uses. Odd.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 7, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: audacitea | March 7, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I liked "Washington Justice" too. Just think...we could be calling the Phone Booth the "Supreme Court"!

BTW, anyone who thinks Raptors aren't deadly never saw any of the "Jurassic Park" movies!

Posted by: acesdc | March 7, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

On the linked Twitter page, all I see is a patch on the reverse of the jacket that LOOKS JUST LIKE THE CURRENT WIZARDS LOGO?

Sorry if I'm slow, but tell me where to look for the NEW (proposed) logo, again?!

Posted by: ntlekt | March 7, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

That logo looks like a 5 year old designed it.
I say change the name back to the Bullets, but if the name remains the same at least change the colors and LOGO. That logo is horrible and definately the worst in the NBA. That logo looks like at cost two dollars and a ticket to see toy story.

Posted by: priceisright | March 7, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

In honor of councilman Kwame Brown, let's rename the team to the Navigators.

Posted by: nelmsmn | March 7, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse

What does any of it matter? As long as we have Grunfeld as GM, it will be the same ole same ole. I have been a diehard fan for 37 years but this is just getting ridiculous. Ted needs to clean house from the top to the bottom. Sheez, he's worried about changing the colors and the logo?! I expected better from him.

Posted by: mygr8kidz2 | March 7, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing wrong with the name or logo. The problem is with the team. This is obviously easier to change.

Posted by: OintheSierras | March 7, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

What's the point on commenting on this article if your just going to be negative. Waste of time if you ask me. The name bullets isn't coming back because of the gun crime in D.C. I would suggest the Washington Stars personally.

Posted by: Joe08121990 | March 7, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

HEY TED,

HERES A SMART IDEA. PUT "WASHINGTON" ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEYS.

THE WIZARDS NAME AND LOGO SUCK. WE CAN'T GO BACK TO BULLETS (FOR OBVIOUS REASONS).

ITS A GOOD COMPROMISE.

Posted by: wiz_fan | March 7, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah... that's what the Wizards need... a new logo! Yeah...........

Posted by: oda155 | March 7, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

New logo? Why?
Same old team, same old results!

Posted by: pearlgirl83 | March 7, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

If that is truly the new logo then it's just nothing but lazy to just change the colors and leave the rest of it alone. I actually think the existing logo and the secondary "DC" logo look good but if we are going to change the colors, we need a new logo. I also completely agree that Washington needs to appear in the away uniforms, not Wizards. Our current uniforms are terrible. It looks like we bought a two for one special with the Warriors whose uniforms prior to this year were pretty much the exact same design as ours.

New colors, new logo, new uniforms. The name is ok as is.

Posted by: jonathan30033 | March 7, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Why not the Washington Monuments? Both are "tall". Seems fitting with the Caps and all. Easy logo ideas and mascot too. I like the Washington Justice as well.

Posted by: seglinton1 | March 7, 2011 4:32 PM | Report abuse

How about the Washington Losers? Come on...1979 was the last time they won anything...before most of the players were born. They stink They are awful. Their coach needs to go. Ernie needs to go. All of the players except for Wall. They are an embarassment to the league. Just move already. Or just fold. One road win?????? Come on. Go away.

Posted by: pdubosejr1 | March 7, 2011 6:57 PM | Report abuse

It's only a matter of time. DC is no longer the murder capital. Ted's going to find a way to bring tradition back to the franchise.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | March 7, 2011 8:02 PM | Report abuse

The name Bullets" was changed by Mr Pollin for what he beleived was a good reason. Why he chose " Wizards" is beyond me, since the KKK used this as one of its officers designations
I always thought that the best name for the team would have been Americans" Just think of it, At any halftime break, if the team is behing, any coach can rant and say, " And you call yoursrlves Americans!!!"
This name is just right for the capital of the USA as well! Remember there was once a NHL Team named the NY, and Brooklyn Americans. If this was good enough for NYC, then why not for the Capital City ??
Bullets, though is far better than Wizards

Posted by: HLSHAP | March 7, 2011 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Just change the name back to Bullets!

See "Change Wizards back to Bullets" on Facebook.

Posted by: jsearcher99 | March 7, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Chicago had the Bulls so Washington can have the Bullettes.

Posted by: cjride | March 7, 2011 10:09 PM | Report abuse

How about the Washington World Shakers?

But I still want the Bullets name back though.

Posted by: bdbyptr | March 7, 2011 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Bullets are bad, but at least they are fast and have a good purpose.

WTF good are Hurricanes?

Get over yourselves and united the damn area and change it to bullets.

How many people died because of hurricanes, pirates, and buccaneers. Good god!

Posted by: khornbeak | March 7, 2011 10:16 PM | Report abuse